Author Topic: DTF Official Newb Welcome Thread v. 2.0 (Introduce yourself here!)  (Read 399242 times)

Offline XianL

• DTF.org Member
As you may have deduced from the title, this is our newb-greeting thread!

Introduce yourself, tell us a bit about yourself if you like, where you're from, who you listen to, anything you'd like to share! You'll get a warm welcome from us, or at least a playful teasing.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 01:59:36 PM by ariich »

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
Re: DTF Official Newb Welcome Thread v. 2.0 (Introduce yourself here!)
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 05:33:33 AM »
BUMP

Welcome to the unofficial official Dream Theater Forums!  Introduce yourselves here. :)
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline chrisnolan

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 04:04:58 PM »
Ok, well, I'll be the first person then!

Hey all! I've been a lurker on the original (official) forums, and the previous incarnation(s?) of these forums for ages...but actually decided to get involved now. I'm a huge DT fan, fairly obviously I guess, but they hold a special place for me as the band that got me back into music when I was younger...after becoming bored of mainstream stuff. A recommendation from a friend opened a whole new world for me, which has been amazing. There is nothing quite like getting all hyper for a new DT record!   :D

In terms of music I listen to all sorts of stuff now, but particular favorites are Threshold, Transatlantic, Pink Floyd, Angels & Airwaves (can't explain that, just love the style), Rush and Galahad. There are tonnes more, but those are what come to mind.

As for background, I'm a (soon to be) Computer Science graduate from England and work in defence.

Chris

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 04:27:25 PM »
Yay our first noob!  And a long-standing one too!  Welcome, enjoy your stay and post often! :)

Offline XianL

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 08:43:30 AM »
Welcome cris! Enjoy your stay.

There is nothing quite like getting all hyper for a new DT record!   :D

I hear you loud and clear :)

Offline Summers

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 08:49:06 AM »
Well I've actually been here since 2007 but I still feel like a n00b. 

Getting awful crowded in my sky.

Online Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 08:50:39 AM »
Well, I'm quite a lurker that posts nonsence from time to time. DT were my way into not only progressive music, but they also inspired me to explore all types of music. Music that the average metalhead would hate me for. :P If there's any swedish people out there, I'm a huuuuuge fan of Glenmark/Eriksson/Strömstedt, among other "embarrasing" music.

I also have my own progressive band that plays music inspired by DT and Opeth. We just got to the semifinal of an international competition called Emergenza, where we finished in the fourth spot, not making it to the finals. (The swedish finals, that is...)

I'm sure there's other things to be said about me, but read my posts if you want to find out. ;)

EDIT: Here's a video from that competition, I'm the guitar player. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io9V0H8tWwg
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline XianL

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 10:20:45 AM »
Welcome Lynxo!

I'm curious...what genre are Glenmark/Eriksson/Strömstedt?

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 10:24:59 AM »
Glenmark/Eriksson/Strömstedt is pop sung in Swedish.

They did the Swedish anthem for the World Cup in football/soccer 1994.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcsjNDS5a1k
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 10:46:50 AM »
Bumped:

Welcome to the unofficial official Dream Theater Forums!  Introduce yourselves here. :)

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 04:35:31 PM »
Hi. I are teh newb.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline xterp

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 04:44:28 PM »
Been lurking since about a couple months after Systematic Chaos came out, signed up in August of last year and lurked some more. Started posting once the boards came back last week.

and as of right now since it changes every month my favorite bands are Of Machines, Pawa Up First, god Is An Astronaut, The Mars Volta, and Mastodon.

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 05:33:13 PM »
its ok.. ive been a member of the forums back when it was DT.net and i signed up in 2004.. but i still feel n00b. i dont post much

but welcome xterp, Lynxo and chrisnolan! its a pretty fun place. much epic win and loses come from here!

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 06:48:04 PM »
its ok.. ive been a member of the forums back when it was DT.net and i signed up in 2004.. but i still feel n00b. i dont post much

but welcome xterp, Lynxo and chrisnolan! its a pretty fun place. much epic win and loses come from here!

Sad but true. :lol

Online Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2009, 11:43:58 AM »

:metal

Offline XianL

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2009, 08:08:05 PM »

Nugget?

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
  • Living in the pupil of 1,000 eyes.
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2009, 08:17:57 PM »
lol im new hear... ne1 no why my copy of pull me udner cuts off all of a sudden?

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2009, 08:21:33 PM »
i duno but panic attack and pull me under r dt's best songs!1111 loliloverockbandandguitarhero

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
  • Living in the pupil of 1,000 eyes.
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2009, 08:23:08 PM »
roflmaomgwtfbbq! My fav song by them si EVEARY SONG EVAR cos trhey rock!!!1

Offline Ruggles

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2009, 08:33:37 PM »
Hey everybody, just got here. After a few months of on and off lurking I've decided to get an account. My friend introduced my to Dream Theater last fall and I found out what I was missing. Not long after, I was astonished again by Ayreon and Arjen's interesting Progressive Metal based storytelling. From then on I've been hooked on the progressive rock and metal genres. I'm not sure about my favorite band, but so far my favorite album is The Dark Side of the Moon, truly incredible stuff.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2009, 10:18:48 PM »
Awesome, welcome aboard! :tup

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2009, 04:57:55 AM »
Bumped:

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2009, 08:12:45 PM »
Bumped:

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2009, 08:39:27 PM »
Well, I'm quite a lurker that posts nonsence from time to time. DT were my way into not only progressive music, but they also inspired me to explore all types of music. Music that the average metalhead would hate me for. :P If there's any swedish people out there, I'm a huuuuuge fan of Glenmark/Eriksson/Strömstedt, among other "embarrasing" music.

I also have my own progressive band that plays music inspired by DT and Opeth. We just got to the semifinal of an international competition called Emergenza, where we finished in the fourth spot, not making it to the finals. (The swedish finals, that is...)

I'm sure there's other things to be said about me, but read my posts if you want to find out. ;)

EDIT: Here's a video from that competition, I'm the guitar player. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io9V0H8tWwg
Can you tell us why metal/prog metal is so big in Sweeden/Scandinavia? I've always been curious about that, the region must have the highest number of metal bands per capita in the world.

Offline MS394

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2009, 08:49:40 PM »
Hi everyone  :D

I´m from Mexico (don´t worry, no signs of swine flu from me  ;D ). I´m 15 years old and I play mainly drums and percussion but I like to noodle with other instruments as well.

Curiously I got into Dream Theater because of Liquid Tension Experiment; I asked a friend for some cool instrumental bands and he told me of LTE. I was mainly into classic rock but then I heard Universal Mind and my musical life totally changed  :metal . After that I checked out Dream Theater; I bought Awake and was totally blown away. I have been hooked into them since then.

Besides Dream Theater and LTE, I really enjoy Gentle Giant, Rush, Yes, Genesis (mainly before Hackett left),  Kansas, The Flower Kings, Riverside, and in other genres I like The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Santana, The Police, Rage against the machine, John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Pat Metheny, etc.

And I am truly awaiting the new Dream Theater album  :metal

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2009, 08:50:40 PM »
Welcome!  You have an excellent taste in music, Hackett-era Genesis is the bestest.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2009, 09:11:49 PM »
I was mainly into classic rock but then I heard Universal Mind and my musical life totally changed

I've noticed that with a lot of past and present Dream Theaters fans, myself included.  It's very interesting that no matter where your musical tastes lie at the time you're exposed to Dream Theater, if you end up becoming a fan of the band, that fandom ends up drastically redirecting the progression and evolution of your musical tastes.  When I was first exposed to Dream Theater, my musical evolution was headed more towards post-grunge bands such as Evans Blue and Dark New Day.  DT comes along and all of a sudden I'm a proghole.  It's just interesting how much Dream Theater sets you off course like that.

Online Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2009, 08:49:02 AM »

Can you tell us why metal/prog metal is so big in Sweeden/Scandinavia? I've always been curious about that, the region must have the highest number of metal bands per capita in the world.

No idea. But yeah, you're right about that. Many of my favorite metal bands are indeed from Sweden. Opeth, Pain of Salvation, Evergrey... :metal I've heard someone say that since the winters here are so cold and cruel, all one can do is sit inside and write sad, long progressive songs. Which seems to fit both Opeth and Evergrey at least. :P

But there's also a problem with that, and that is, as a new band, to gain attention. There is a great metal and club scene here (at least in Stockholm) but it's kinda hard distinguishing (tough word to spell, whew...) yourself from all the other bands. You have to be either really, really good or have something that makes you stand out from the rest of the bands. It's really tough, believe me, I know...

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2009, 09:39:53 AM »

Curiously I got into Dream Theater because of Liquid Tension Experiment; I asked a friend for some cool instrumental bands and he told me of LTE. I was mainly into classic rock but then I heard Universal Mind and my musical life totally changed  :metal . After that I checked out Dream Theater; I bought Awake and was totally blown away. I have been hooked into them since then.

You're right, that IS kind of curious.  You did it backwards!  :lol

Welcome.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2009, 06:39:35 AM »
Hi everyone  :D

I´m from Mexico (don´t worry, no signs of swine flu from me  ;D ). I´m 15 years old and I play mainly drums and percussion but I like to noodle with other instruments as well.

Besides Dream Theater and LTE, I really enjoy Gentle Giant, Rush, Yes, Genesis (mainly before Hackett left),  Kansas, The Flower Kings, Riverside, and in other genres I like The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Santana, The Police, Rage against the machine, John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Pat Metheny, etc.

And I am truly awaiting the new Dream Theater album  :metal

Wow! Yeah, excellent taste in music.   :tup   Welcome aboard! 
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2009, 06:55:01 AM »
Yeah, I'll say.  Good number of great bands under this guy's belt.

Offline erik16

• The one on the right
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2009, 09:48:00 AM »
 Hi there, my name is Jaak Erik (you can call me Jack Eric ;D if it's easier). I live in Northern Europe, in Estonia, Tallinn (capital). I'm at the age of 16 and a 10th grader in gymnasium (I don't really know what would it be in the United States but on my age you can probably find it out).
 The first DT song I heard was Voices and I remember being particulary fond of the guitar solo (I was at the age of 10 or less)
Also Solitary Shell clicked on me when I was 12 or 13. I began appreciating DT when I was 15. The first album was SFAM, which I unfortunately "over listened". At the moment I like I&W best, some Awake material, 2nd disc of 6DOIT, Octavarium (song) and a bit of SC (TMOLS and ITPOE). I haven't listened 1st disc of 6DOIT, FII and TOT.
I first discovered dreamtheater.net (Surprise!) and mikeportnoy.com, DTF I found quite recently.

I like to play football (not American), tennis (which I practise regularly and I'm being coached in a club as well), drumming (know the basic beats but nowhere near to prog or double-bass pedal) is also a nice thing, I'm also into history (20th century is the best).

DT at the moment for me is da best, sometimes I listen to Circus Maximus and Nightwish; I also have some Rush, Marillion and Spyro Gyra in my mp3. I don't hate any music in general, however, I loathe the formula of a 3 minute pop song with lyrics that are repetitive and plain and drum machine in the background accompanied with a video of half-naked women shaking their bodies around.

When it comes to TV series and programs then I find reality-shows really interesting and intriguing, history programs and nature programs are also my preferences. Also British comedies (Mr Bean, Yes Minister, Allo Allo). But as a contrast I also like the Simpsons and South Park.

I am also interested in politics and international politics. I recently studied political philosophy and we had an American who lives in Estonia as our teacher. From ideologies I like nationalism as long as it is not to expand a country's territory but rather to establish a nation-state in a land which has historically been habited by that nation. I don't like extreme left and right and I will ALWAYS hate Russian communism and Stalin for destroying my homeland (and various others) during WWII and Putin still denying it. Also Soviet Union for strangling other Eastern European states.
Recently I have grown fond of linguistics especially when it comes to comparing languages and I actively analyse the Estonian language.

I am not that much religious but I believe in God as "something" and I also believe that people have invented all the gods out of need to explain why weird things happen and also to have "Someone Like Him Them" up high looking after them. I have been baptised in Lutheran church. At the moment I also study Latin and we're teached by a Spanish priest and a lot of our text are connected with Christ.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2009, 02:32:44 PM »
Welcome sirrah! :tup

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2009, 02:38:56 PM »
Hi. I are teh newb.
O hai, i did not c u thar.