DTF Official Newb Welcome Thread v. 2.0 (Introduce yourself here!)

Started by XianL, April 30, 2009, 07:46:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHoveringSojourn808

Quote from: glassprisoner on March 05, 2024, 12:06:29 PM
Oops, didn't see this. Swear I looked. Anyway,

Hey fellow fans.

Used to frequent one of the original DT forums. 2001 or so. I believe Itchy was mod, and I don't remember many names save for standbuilder. Honestly, I  don't remember much from those dark times. Oddly enough, my original username was still available. So, here I am.

Excited to see what happens in the next chapter of DT. Honestly, and not to start anything, I drifted away after Dark Clouds & Silver Linings. I've listened to some of the newer  stuff, but it never really clicked with me the way the first 4 or 5 albums did.

welcome to the forums!

JohnDunston

Hey John Dunston here, I am new to the DT forum! You may know me from playing drums in the band Hourglass. It's good to be on the forum finally I should have been on here years ago! I would love to hear any opinions on our new album Voids and Visions.

Speaking of Dream Theater check out the drum cover I did of Dance of Eternity!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwKycUODRIg&t=55s

Glasser

Quote from: JohnDunston on July 31, 2024, 03:41:02 PMHey John Dunston here, I am new to the DT forum! You may know me from playing drums in the band Hourglass. It's good to be on the forum finally I should have been on here years ago! I would love to hear any opinions on our new album Voids and Visions.

Beast!!! (Its Tom my brother)  :tup

TheHoveringSojourn808

Quote from: JohnDunston on July 31, 2024, 03:41:02 PMHey John Dunston here, I am new to the DT forum! You may know me from playing drums in the band Hourglass. It's good to be on the forum finally I should have been on here years ago! I would love to hear any opinions on our new album Voids and Visions.

Welcome to the forums!

TAC

The songs are too short.  ;D
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

LithoJazzoSphere

Outstanding playing there.  That's one of the most elaborate electronic kits I've seen.  Did you record the album with it?  I'll definitely check the album out. 

Edit:  My only real complaint is that stack sound at 4:12, the decay seems too abrupt. 

JohnDunston

I did record the entire album on an electric kit! Good ear by the way! I have it choked because I wanted it to sound more punchy the delay was too long otherwise.

Here is another video of the actual studio performance of the song Void Within off the album.

https://youtu.be/_d9cYb6njYY

LithoJazzoSphere

Ah, ok.  It's hard to beat the sound of a good acoustic kit, but that one is definitely well above average.  I'm not sure of the technical logistics of it on your end or in the engineering and mixing of the album, but I do think tweaking that stack a bit and giving it just a bit of air would make it sound less synthetic. 

hefdaddy42

Just recently discovered your band through that new album.  Really impressive stuff, and I will be delving into the back catalog.

Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

JohnDunston

Quote from: LithoJazzoSphere on August 02, 2024, 05:51:39 PMAh, ok.  It's hard to beat the sound of a good acoustic kit, but that one is definitely well above average.  I'm not sure of the technical logistics of it on your end or in the engineering and mixing of the album, but I do think tweaking that stack a bit and giving it just a bit of air would make it sound less synthetic.

I'm using Superior Drummer Three which is good acoustic kits recorded in a multimillion-dollar studio recorded with the best mics by the best engineers. It sounds very acoustic because it is.  ;)  :metal

CraftyCaleb2483

I'm new! (I know my post count might suggest otherwise but I only found this thread just now, I actually joined two weeks ago :lol )
I listen to DT (obviously!) LTE, Neal Morse and Muse mainly, I play the guitar, keyboard and drums, and that's it about me really! Oh, and I'm probably the youngest member here at 14 years old!  :rollin
"Frustration is frustratingly frustrating."

jingle.boy

Welcome!  have some bacon :godisgood:

Glad to see there will be a new generation of DT fans!
Quote from: TAC on July 31, 2021, 06:55:07 PMIf I can do it, it's idiot proof.
Quote from: Stadler on January 03, 2024, 09:00:00 AMThat's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
Quote from: hefdaddy42 on November 04, 2021, 05:14:36 AMI fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".

Zydar

Welcome!

How did you discover DT, by the way? What was your gateway album/song? 

CraftyCaleb2483

Quote from: Zydar on August 08, 2024, 05:52:55 AMHow did you discover DT, by the way? What was your gateway album/song? 
Well, I first remember hearing it on the way to a theme park when I was 8, my dad put Octavarium on the way there (It lasted the whole journey  :lol ) I remember having nightmares about the continuum intro, lol!
Therefore my getaway album/song was definitely Octavarium (for both questions)
I finally became an avid listener when I was 11 and actually understood what on earth was going on in that crazy music.

jingle.boy

Nice.  8vm is my favorite song .... not just for DT, but of all time.
Quote from: Stadler on January 03, 2024, 09:00:00 AMThat's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
Quote from: hefdaddy42 on November 04, 2021, 05:14:36 AMI fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".

TheHoveringSojourn808

Quote from: CraftyCaleb2483 on August 07, 2024, 09:57:47 AMI'm new! (I know my post count might suggest otherwise but I only found this thread just now, I actually joined two weeks ago :lol )
I listen to DT (obviously!) LTE, Neal Morse and Muse mainly, I play the guitar, keyboard and drums, and that's it about me really! Oh, and I'm probably the youngest member here at 14 years old!  :rollin

Welcome to the forums!

CraftyCaleb2483

Zydar

CraftyCaleb2483

hefdaddy42

Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

LithoJazzoSphere

Quote from: CraftyCaleb2483 on August 07, 2024, 09:57:47 AMI'm new! (I know my post count might suggest otherwise but I only found this thread just now, I actually joined two weeks ago :lol )

Kinda jealous to remember back to those days.  The music you discover over the next decade or so will probably stick with you the rest of your life. 

wolfking

Welcome man.  Is that your guitar in the avatar?  Looks very nice!  :metal

CraftyCaleb2483

Quote from: wolfking on August 13, 2024, 08:14:16 PMWelcome man.  Is that your guitar in the avatar?  Looks very nice!  :metal
I wish it was! It's my ideal guitar that I generated with a guitar customizer online. Sadly, it's not linked to Ibanez so I can't order it 

wizard

Good afternoon to everyone,

I'm Wizard, member of the French Yourmajesty's official Dream Theater's forum.

I'm happy to rejoin you.

I discovered Dream Theater in 1998. I appreciate very much lots of side projects, and lots of music styles.

I hope I didn't do some gramatical mistakes or vocabulary mistakes, when I'll send messages, and that my English wil be clear, when you'll read them.

Zydar

Welcome Wizard!

Don't worry about the English, there are far worse offenders on the forums :P

jingle.boy

Quote from: Zydar on August 14, 2024, 10:49:30 AMWelcome Wizard!

Don't worry about the English, there are far worse offenders on the forums :P
Yeah, especially the ones from New England.

TAC

Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

CraftyCaleb2483

King Postwhore

"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

hawk

hi new to the forum can anyone help my question is about the lost not forgotten series.
so far i have 21 releases the last being the sessions of scenes from a memory from 2023 since then nothing.
is that it ?
what about the most obvious missing one ( dark side of the moon) ?
ive emailed inside out but no reply.