DTF Official Newb Welcome Thread v. 2.0 (Introduce yourself here!)

Started by XianL, April 30, 2009, 07:46:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightningbolt

Hey, everyone.  I've been lurking here a bit since the Black Clouds days and in earnest since 2011-2012.  Never registered until very recently.

One of my best friends got me into Dream Theater.  He was obsessed with the band from 2000 on.  I remember him showing me the Six Degrees and Train of Thought CDs after he purchased them, I enjoyed looking at the artwork, but I couldn't really get into the music.  During the Summer of 2005 he invited me and our other best friend to attend the Gigantour show in Atlanta.  I went into the show knowing just "Pull Me Under."  DT's performance was entertaining and I ended up enjoying a couple of songs aside from PMU.

A couple of months later I purchased Live at the Budokan.  That led to me purchasing Scenes From a Memory a few weeks later.  I was then hooked and became a fan of DT.  They are my second favorite behind Pearl Jam and just in front of Classic Van Halen.  The three of us still attend DT shows together when possible.

I'll admit that I don't like everything they've done, but with so many albums and songs, that is to be expected.  Scenes remains my favorite album, followed by Images and Words and Train of Thought.  I'm very much looking forward to whatever is to come :)

Podaar

cramx3

TAC

Welcome Lightningbolt! Interesting to see Classic VH rated so high right behind DT. Nice!!
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

twosuitsluke

Welcome dude, to this glorious community. Just a heads up, this little corner of the internet has exposed me to more quality music than anywhere else, by like 50 times!

Quote from: ariich on November 07, 2023, 12:38:53 PMJust popping in to say Luke, you were right.

jingle.boy

Quote from: twosuitsluke on December 05, 2023, 11:50:08 AM
Welcome dude, to this glorious community. Just a heads up, this little corner of the internet has exposed me to more quality music than anywhere else, but like 50 times!

And that's just King Gizzard!
Quote from: TAC on July 31, 2021, 06:55:07 PMIf I can do it, it's idiot proof.
Quote from: Stadler on January 03, 2024, 09:00:00 AMThat's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
Quote from: hefdaddy42 on November 04, 2021, 05:14:36 AMI fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".

twosuitsluke

Quote from: jingle.boy on December 05, 2023, 11:58:05 AM
Welcome dude, to this glorious community. Just a heads up, this little corner of the internet has exposed me to more quality music than anywhere else, but like 50 times!

I hope this means you're a convert! But for the love of all that is holy, let my recommend you some better songs.
Quote from: ariich on November 07, 2023, 12:38:53 PMJust popping in to say Luke, you were right.

King Postwhore

"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

lightningbolt

Quote from: TAC on December 05, 2023, 11:23:03 AM
Welcome Lightningbolt! Interesting to see Classic VH rated so high right behind DT. Nice!!

Van Halen was my first ever favorite band.  They slid down a bit in large part due to inactivity and such.  I still listen to VH all of the time though.

Jamesman42

\o\ lol /o/

jingle.boy

Quote from: twosuitsluke on December 05, 2023, 12:05:17 PM
Quote from: jingle.boy on December 05, 2023, 11:58:05 AM

I hope this means you're a convert! But for the love of all that is holy, let my recommend you some better songs.

One of my most important rules in life is to never deprive anyone of hope - it might be all they have.

Also, it shouldn't be hard to recommend better songs!
Quote from: Stadler on January 03, 2024, 09:00:00 AMThat's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
Quote from: hefdaddy42 on November 04, 2021, 05:14:36 AMI fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".

wolfking

Quote from: lightningbolt on December 05, 2023, 01:40:58 PM

Van Halen was my first ever favorite band.  They slid down a bit in large part due to inactivity and such.  I still listen to VH all of the time though.

Welcome mate.  interesting seeing PJ up there as your fav too.  I'm a big fan, that first five album run is as good as any band has put out.

lightningbolt

Quote from: wolfking on December 05, 2023, 08:37:43 PM

Welcome mate.  interesting seeing PJ up there as your fav too.  I'm a big fan, that first five album run is as good as any band has put out.

Hell yeah.  My favorite PJ albums are currently Yield and No Code, but the first 5 are pretty much neck and neck.  I enjoy a lot of songs released after Yield, but there was definitely a drop off in consistent album quality beginning with Binaural.  The # of clunker tracks increased significantly. 

wolfking

Quote from: lightningbolt on December 05, 2023, 10:36:50 PM

Hell yeah.  My favorite PJ albums are currently Yield and No Code, but the first 5 are pretty much neck and neck.  I enjoy a lot of songs released after Yield, but there was definitely a drop off in consistent album quality beginning with Binaural.  The # of clunker tracks increased significantly.

No Code is my fav mate. What a unique, diverse, incredible album.

The drop off is obvious but personally I think Riot Act is almost up there too.  That's a great, underrated album.

King Postwhore

Kade, Riot Act is my least favourite but the 3 album run after that starting with the self titled is an excellent run.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

Podaar

lightningbolt

Quote from: wolfking on December 06, 2023, 01:49:15 AM

The drop off is obvious but personally I think Riot Act is almost up there too.  That's a great, underrated album.

I almost mentioned the fact that I enjoy Riot Act almost as much as the first 5.  Maybe as much on the right day, but I think it is generally a notch below.  It was the first album released after I became a fan in 2000 and my first PJ show was during the Riot Act tour (Raleigh 2003).  So, that may have something to do with it.  But, I still listen to it regularly.  I wish they played "All or None" more often.

The B sides and miscellaneous album, Lost Dogs, is also sweet.  I don't like everything on there, but there is plenty of gold.

hefdaddy42

Quote from: lightningbolt on December 05, 2023, 09:25:25 AM
I'll admit that I don't like everything they've done, but with so many albums and songs, that is to be expected. 
If you liked EVERYTHING they had done, I would be suspicious.

Welcome aboard!
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

King Postwhore

3 days after the fall most of my body is healing but not the chest.  It's killing me.  No swelling or bruises but an intense pain when moving in certain directions. 

hefdaddy42

Quote from: King Postwhore on December 06, 2023, 10:08:04 AM
3 days after the fall most of my body is healing but not the chest.  It's killing me.  No swelling or bruises but an intense pain when moving in certain directions.
Wrong thread?
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

King Postwhore

Oops!  Yup, I didn't look.  Hi new DTF.  I'm kingsplatland.

hefdaddy42

wolfking

Shit, I missed all this.  How did you fall.  Sounds like a broken rib or rib cartlidge issue maybe?

King Postwhore

Quote from: wolfking on December 06, 2023, 11:58:28 AM

Shit, I missed all this.  How did you fall.  Sounds like a broken rib or rib cartlidge issue maybe?

Tripped up but a tree root. Fell down a slight hill.  No bruising or swelling but a real sharp pain that takes my breath away.

wolfking

Quote from: King Postwhore on December 06, 2023, 12:05:31 PM

Tripped up but a tree root. Fell down a slight hill.  No bruising or swelling but a real sharp pain that takes my breath away.

Shit mate, that sucks.  Definitely sounds rib related.  I've popped rib cartlidge before and it hurts to fucking move and breathe in and out.

King Postwhore

Quote from: wolfking on December 06, 2023, 12:07:40 PM

Shit mate, that sucks.  Definitely sounds rib related.  I've popped rib cartlidge before and it hurts to fucking move and breathe in and out.

It's high in the chest but man, coughing is brutal.

jingle.boy

Quote from: King Postwhore on December 06, 2023, 12:19:28 PM
Quote from: wolfking on December 06, 2023, 12:07:40 PM

It's high in the chest but man, coughing is brutal.

So don't cough!

King Postwhore

hefdaddy42

wolfking

TAC

Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Jamesman42

\o\ lol /o/

jingle.boy

Quote from: Jamesman42 on December 06, 2023, 05:24:13 PM
Quote from: wolfking on December 06, 2023, 04:39:59 PM
Quote from: hefdaddy42 on December 06, 2023, 12:53:07 PM
WRONG THREAD

MOTHERFUCKERS

Hey there mate, welcome to our forum!!  :metal

I AM A GUY

You're a fucking stupid bitch.

God Bless Janet1234

TheHoveringSojourn808

Quote from: lightningbolt on December 06, 2023, 05:06:19 AM
Quote from: wolfking on December 06, 2023, 01:49:15 AM

I almost mentioned the fact that I enjoy Riot Act almost as much as the first 5.  Maybe as much on the right day, but I think it is generally a notch below.  It was the first album released after I became a fan in 2000 and my first PJ show was during the Riot Act tour (Raleigh 2003).  So, that may have something to do with it.  But, I still listen to it regularly.  I wish they played "All or None" more often.

The B sides and miscellaneous album, Lost Dogs, is also sweet.  I don't like everything on there, but there is plenty of gold.

welcome to the forums!!

glassprisoner

Oops, didn't see this. Swear I looked. Anyway,

Hey fellow fans.

Used to frequent one of the original DT forums. 2001 or so. I believe Itchy was mod, and I don't remember many names save for standbuilder. Honestly, I  don't remember much from those dark times. Oddly enough, my original username was still available. So, here I am.

Excited to see what happens in the next chapter of DT. Honestly, and not to start anything, I drifted away after Dark Clouds & Silver Linings. I've listened to some of the newer  stuff, but it never really clicked with me the way the first 4 or 5 albums did.