Author Topic: DTF Official Newb Welcome Thread v. 2.0 (Introduce yourself here!)  (Read 407224 times)

Offline lightningbolt

Re: DTF Official Newb Welcome Thread v. 2.0 (Introduce yourself here!)
« Reply #2240 on: December 05, 2023, 10:25:25 AM »
Hey, everyone.  I've been lurking here a bit since the Black Clouds days and in earnest since 2011-2012.  Never registered until very recently.

One of my best friends got me into Dream Theater.  He was obsessed with the band from 2000 on.  I remember him showing me the Six Degrees and Train of Thought CDs after he purchased them, I enjoyed looking at the artwork, but I couldn't really get into the music.  During the Summer of 2005 he invited me and our other best friend to attend the Gigantour show in Atlanta.  I went into the show knowing just "Pull Me Under."  DT's performance was entertaining and I ended up enjoying a couple of songs aside from PMU.

A couple of months later I purchased Live at the Budokan.  That led to me purchasing Scenes From a Memory a few weeks later.  I was then hooked and became a fan of DT.  They are my second favorite behind Pearl Jam and just in front of Classic Van Halen.  The three of us still attend DT shows together when possible.

I'll admit that I don't like everything they've done, but with so many albums and songs, that is to be expected.  Scenes remains my favorite album, followed by Images and Words and Train of Thought.  I'm very much looking forward to whatever is to come :)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2241 on: December 05, 2023, 10:28:04 AM »
Welcome!

Have some complementary bacon :godisgood:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2242 on: December 05, 2023, 10:29:15 AM »
welcome  :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2243 on: December 05, 2023, 12:23:03 PM »
Welcome Lightningbolt! Interesting to see Classic VH rated so high right behind DT. Nice!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2244 on: December 05, 2023, 12:50:08 PM »
Welcome dude, to this glorious community. Just a heads up, this little corner of the internet has exposed me to more quality music than anywhere else, by like 50 times!

« Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 01:04:19 PM by twosuitsluke »

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2245 on: December 05, 2023, 12:58:05 PM »
Welcome dude, to this glorious community. Just a heads up, this little corner of the internet has exposed me to more quality music than anywhere else, but like 50 times!

And that's just King Gizzard!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2246 on: December 05, 2023, 01:05:17 PM »
Welcome dude, to this glorious community. Just a heads up, this little corner of the internet has exposed me to more quality music than anywhere else, but like 50 times!

I hope this means you're a convert! But for the love of all that is holy, let my recommend you some better songs.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2247 on: December 05, 2023, 01:50:26 PM »
twospamluke.   :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lightningbolt

« Reply #2248 on: December 05, 2023, 02:40:58 PM »
Welcome Lightningbolt! Interesting to see Classic VH rated so high right behind DT. Nice!!

Van Halen was my first ever favorite band.  They slid down a bit in large part due to inactivity and such.  I still listen to VH all of the time though.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2249 on: December 05, 2023, 03:01:49 PM »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2250 on: December 05, 2023, 08:51:03 PM »

I hope this means you're a convert! But for the love of all that is holy, let my recommend you some better songs.

One of my most important rules in life is to never deprive anyone of hope - it might be all they have.

Also, it shouldn't be hard to recommend better songs!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2251 on: December 05, 2023, 09:37:43 PM »

Van Halen was my first ever favorite band.  They slid down a bit in large part due to inactivity and such.  I still listen to VH all of the time though.

Welcome mate.  interesting seeing PJ up there as your fav too.  I'm a big fan, that first five album run is as good as any band has put out.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline lightningbolt

« Reply #2252 on: December 05, 2023, 11:36:50 PM »

Welcome mate.  interesting seeing PJ up there as your fav too.  I'm a big fan, that first five album run is as good as any band has put out.

Hell yeah.  My favorite PJ albums are currently Yield and No Code, but the first 5 are pretty much neck and neck.  I enjoy a lot of songs released after Yield, but there was definitely a drop off in consistent album quality beginning with Binaural.  The # of clunker tracks increased significantly. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2253 on: December 06, 2023, 02:49:15 AM »

Hell yeah.  My favorite PJ albums are currently Yield and No Code, but the first 5 are pretty much neck and neck.  I enjoy a lot of songs released after Yield, but there was definitely a drop off in consistent album quality beginning with Binaural.  The # of clunker tracks increased significantly.

No Code is my fav mate. What a unique, diverse, incredible album.

The drop off is obvious but personally I think Riot Act is almost up there too.  That's a great, underrated album.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2254 on: December 06, 2023, 04:33:49 AM »
Kade, Riot Act is my least favourite but the 3 album run after that starting with the self titled is an excellent run.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2255 on: December 06, 2023, 05:17:03 AM »
I've been known to enjoy PJ. MmmmMMMMmmm...good cracker!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline lightningbolt

« Reply #2256 on: December 06, 2023, 06:06:19 AM »

The drop off is obvious but personally I think Riot Act is almost up there too.  That's a great, underrated album.

I almost mentioned the fact that I enjoy Riot Act almost as much as the first 5.  Maybe as much on the right day, but I think it is generally a notch below.  It was the first album released after I became a fan in 2000 and my first PJ show was during the Riot Act tour (Raleigh 2003).  So, that may have something to do with it.  But, I still listen to it regularly.  I wish they played "All or None" more often.

The B sides and miscellaneous album, Lost Dogs, is also sweet.  I don't like everything on there, but there is plenty of gold.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2257 on: December 06, 2023, 06:34:00 AM »
I'll admit that I don't like everything they've done, but with so many albums and songs, that is to be expected. 
If you liked EVERYTHING they had done, I would be suspicious.

Welcome aboard!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2258 on: December 06, 2023, 11:08:04 AM »
3 days after the fall most of my body is healing but not the chest.  It's killing me.  No swelling or bruises but an intense pain when moving in certain directions. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2259 on: December 06, 2023, 12:02:23 PM »
3 days after the fall most of my body is healing but not the chest.  It's killing me.  No swelling or bruises but an intense pain when moving in certain directions.
Wrong thread?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2260 on: December 06, 2023, 12:15:11 PM »
Oops!  Yup, I didn't look.  Hi new DTF.  I'm kingsplatland.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2261 on: December 06, 2023, 12:16:22 PM »
Oops!  Yup, I didn't look.  Hi new DTF.  I'm kingsplatland.
:lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2262 on: December 06, 2023, 12:58:28 PM »

Shit, I missed all this.  How did you fall.  Sounds like a broken rib or rib cartlidge issue maybe?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2263 on: December 06, 2023, 01:05:31 PM »

Shit, I missed all this.  How did you fall.  Sounds like a broken rib or rib cartlidge issue maybe?

Tripped up but a tree root. Fell down a slight hill.  No bruising or swelling but a real sharp pain that takes my breath away.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2264 on: December 06, 2023, 01:07:40 PM »

Tripped up but a tree root. Fell down a slight hill.  No bruising or swelling but a real sharp pain that takes my breath away.

Shit mate, that sucks.  Definitely sounds rib related.  I've popped rib cartlidge before and it hurts to fucking move and breathe in and out.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2265 on: December 06, 2023, 01:19:28 PM »

Shit mate, that sucks.  Definitely sounds rib related.  I've popped rib cartlidge before and it hurts to fucking move and breathe in and out.

It's high in the chest but man, coughing is brutal.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2266 on: December 06, 2023, 01:20:39 PM »

It's high in the chest but man, coughing is brutal.

So don't cough!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2267 on: December 06, 2023, 01:48:24 PM »
I try not to!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2268 on: December 06, 2023, 01:53:07 PM »
WRONG THREAD

MOTHERFUCKERS

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2269 on: December 06, 2023, 05:39:59 PM »
WRONG THREAD

MOTHERFUCKERS

Hey there mate, welcome to our forum!!  :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2270 on: December 06, 2023, 05:47:28 PM »
 :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2271 on: December 06, 2023, 06:24:13 PM »
WRONG THREAD

MOTHERFUCKERS

I AM A GUY

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2272 on: December 06, 2023, 08:29:54 PM »
WRONG THREAD

MOTHERFUCKERS

I AM A GUY

You're a fucking stupid bitch.

God Bless Janet1234
« Last Edit: December 06, 2023, 08:40:48 PM by jingle.boy »

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #2273 on: February 13, 2024, 06:24:26 PM »

I almost mentioned the fact that I enjoy Riot Act almost as much as the first 5.  Maybe as much on the right day, but I think it is generally a notch below.  It was the first album released after I became a fan in 2000 and my first PJ show was during the Riot Act tour (Raleigh 2003).  So, that may have something to do with it.  But, I still listen to it regularly.  I wish they played "All or None" more often.

The B sides and miscellaneous album, Lost Dogs, is also sweet.  I don't like everything on there, but there is plenty of gold.

welcome to the forums!!
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline glassprisoner

« Reply #2274 on: March 05, 2024, 01:06:29 PM »
Oops, didn't see this. Swear I looked. Anyway,

Hey fellow fans.

Used to frequent one of the original DT forums. 2001 or so. I believe Itchy was mod, and I don't remember many names save for standbuilder. Honestly, I  don't remember much from those dark times. Oddly enough, my original username was still available. So, here I am.

Excited to see what happens in the next chapter of DT. Honestly, and not to start anything, I drifted away after Dark Clouds & Silver Linings. I've listened to some of the newer  stuff, but it never really clicked with me the way the first 4 or 5 albums did.