Author Topic: DTF Official Newb Welcome Thread v. 2.0 (Introduce yourself here!)  (Read 399400 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: DTF Official Newb Welcome Thread v. 2.0 (Introduce yourself here!)
« Reply #2170 on: February 09, 2020, 04:54:19 AM »
Hi all! I'm from Long Island, NY and have been listening to DT since Images and Words was released. My other favorite bands include Rush (I've been a fan since 2112 was released, yes I'm that old! 59), Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson, Riverside, and Haken. This looks like a great community and I'm looking forward to learning more about the band and the people here!

Welcome.  Have some bacon.

:godisgood:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ProgKen

« Reply #2171 on: February 09, 2020, 06:17:09 AM »
Hi all! I'm from Long Island, NY and have been listening to DT since Images and Words was released. My other favorite bands include Rush (I've been a fan since 2112 was released, yes I'm that old! 59), Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson, Riverside, and Haken. This looks like a great community and I'm looking forward to learning more about the band and the people here!

Welcome.  Have some bacon.

Mmmm. Bacon. The frying of bacon even sounds like applause!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2172 on: February 09, 2020, 06:18:33 AM »
Welcome to DTF, fogey!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline calamitycrush

« Reply #2173 on: July 06, 2020, 01:24:47 PM »
Hi everyone,
I've been lurking here on and off since maybe 2010/2011 or so (I know it was after BC&SL came out but before ADTOE) but never joined up or posted anything until now, mainly just cause of shyness and generally being quiet anyway. With everything being in lockdown where I am (UK) I've been spending way more time on here, and I've also recently gotten back into Dream Theater in a big way, so I thought it was high time I registered here and tried to be a little bit sociable for once! :)

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2174 on: July 06, 2020, 04:37:07 PM »
Welcome. Slices of bacon for every new member.

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline calamitycrush

« Reply #2175 on: July 07, 2020, 02:04:10 AM »

Thanks!  :godisgood: though I can't belp but thin,k one of these days a really strict vegan's gonna sign up and all this free bacon is going to backfire...  ;D

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #2176 on: July 07, 2020, 01:22:50 PM »

Thanks!  :godisgood: though I can't belp but thin,k one of these days a really strict vegan's gonna sign up and all this free bacon is going to backfire...  ;D

**whispers to new guy......never ever say negative things about bacon.  Even things aren’t negative but might be misconstrued.  Bosk and the others are listening.  They are always listening.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2177 on: July 07, 2020, 02:12:44 PM »

**whispers to new guy......never ever say negative things about bacon.  Even things aren’t negative but might be misconstrued.  Bosk and the others are listening.  They are always listening.

:alwayswatchingyou:

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #2178 on: August 10, 2021, 07:56:02 PM »
I'm not sure if can count as a newb.  I joined basically at the inception of this forum and posted occasionally for a bit, as is evident by my post count.  I don't know the later history of this place, but I'm guessing there was some kind of database reset in '09 or so, so I suppose my old posts are probably lost.  So this is more of a reintroduction, which for a lot of people will just be a normal introduction.  I recognize a handful of people from the old days though and "the other forum" (I don't know how contentious that old history is still at this point). 

I don't like the format of a lot of online places for music discussion, Reddit, Facebook, Youtube comments and the like, so I'm trying to establish a bit of a presence at some of the places left with some activity that are more pertinent to my interests.  This sort of message board structure is so much more apropos. 

I got into Joe Satriani completely serendipitously in '99, and his fan e-mail discussion "forum" at one point did a poll, and Dream Theater was either the first or second other favorite band there (I think Steve Vai was the other one).  So I had to check them out, which in those days meant Napster for the impatient, and I managed to download DT's covers of Tori Amos' "Winter" and Metallica's "Damage Inc." (with Barney Greenaway of Napalm Death).  Representative sample of their music, eh?  Eventually I found "Overture 1928" and "Strange Deja Vu" from SFAM, loved them, soon after purchased a physical copy of the album, and I was off to the races. 

DT was my favorite band for chunks of the early-mid 00s, but to be honest I kind of lost interest in them and overly technical guitar-oriented music by the end of the 00s for the most part and had sort of moved on to other things.  I've also never been crazy about JLB's voice (though I recognize his talent).  Fortunately, I've eventually come back around to this sort of music more again as part of a balanced musical diet, and I liked their last album more than any of them in quite some time (possibly since TOT or 8VM?, I'd have to think about it more). 

Anyway, these days my main music consumption is metal (melodic death, progressive, gothic, death, power, doom, thrash in particular), electronic music, jazz, and bits here and there of almost everything else, progressive rock too.  I'm a multi-instrumentalist (guitar, keyboards, drums, bass, saxophone, mandolin), and have floated around in various local amateur bands. 
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 08:04:03 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2179 on: August 11, 2021, 12:31:51 PM »
I don't remember your handle from pre-'09, but welcome (back).  Have some bacon.

You'll fit in just fine around here.  A lot of DTF'rs have expanded beyond DT and prog-metal in general.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2180 on: August 11, 2021, 01:09:50 PM »
Welcome (back), I like your reasoning to be more active here too. Social media is not a fun place to discuss about music or really most things IMO other than sharing your own personal content with friends.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2181 on: August 11, 2021, 01:32:46 PM »
Welcome (back), I like your reasoning to be more active here too. Social media is not a fun place to discuss about music or really most things IMO other than sharing your own personal content with friends.

I've honestly never done the twitterz, redditz, or any other kind of 'community'.  DTF is not too big to get lost in the shuffle, but not too small to be a barren wasteland, and not so myopic that there isn't some form of discussion going on that's interesting.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2182 on: August 11, 2021, 01:37:59 PM »
I'm not sure if can count as a newb.  I joined basically at the inception of this forum and posted occasionally for a bit, as is evident by my post count.  I don't know the later history of this place, but I'm guessing there was some kind of database reset in '09 or so, so I suppose my old posts are probably lost.  So this is more of a reintroduction, which for a lot of people will just be a normal introduction.  I recognize a handful of people from the old days though and "the other forum" (I don't know how contentious that old history is still at this point). 

I don't like the format of a lot of online places for music discussion, Reddit, Facebook, Youtube comments and the like, so I'm trying to establish a bit of a presence at some of the places left with some activity that are more pertinent to my interests.  This sort of message board structure is so much more apropos. 

I got into Joe Satriani completely serendipitously in '99, and his fan e-mail discussion "forum" at one point did a poll, and Dream Theater was either the first or second other favorite band there (I think Steve Vai was the other one).  So I had to check them out, which in those days meant Napster for the impatient, and I managed to download DT's covers of Tori Amos' "Winter" and Metallica's "Damage Inc." (with Barney Greenaway of Napalm Death).  Representative sample of their music, eh?  Eventually I found "Overture 1928" and "Strange Deja Vu" from SFAM, loved them, soon after purchased a physical copy of the album, and I was off to the races. 

DT was my favorite band for chunks of the early-mid 00s, but to be honest I kind of lost interest in them and overly technical guitar-oriented music by the end of the 00s for the most part and had sort of moved on to other things.  I've also never been crazy about JLB's voice (though I recognize his talent).  Fortunately, I've eventually come back around to this sort of music more again as part of a balanced musical diet, and I liked their last album more than any of them in quite some time (possibly since TOT or 8VM?, I'd have to think about it more). 

Anyway, these days my main music consumption is metal (melodic death, progressive, gothic, death, power, doom, thrash in particular), electronic music, jazz, and bits here and there of almost everything else, progressive rock too.  I'm a multi-instrumentalist (guitar, keyboards, drums, bass, saxophone, mandolin), and have floated around in various local amateur bands.
I remember you.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2183 on: August 11, 2021, 01:47:32 PM »

I remember you.

Love letters in the sand?  Through all the sleepless nights?

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2184 on: August 11, 2021, 01:51:15 PM »

I remember you.

Through the sleepless nights, through every endless day, motherfucker.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2185 on: August 11, 2021, 01:55:44 PM »

I remember you.

Through the sleepless nights, through every endless day, motherfucker.

I love you  :tup

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2186 on: August 11, 2021, 02:23:48 PM »
 :heart

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #2187 on: August 11, 2021, 02:40:24 PM »

I remember you.

Yep, you're one of the ones I recognize.  i was hoping the pandemic would bring more people back out of the woodwork.  I never really left the online space, per se, but forums have been more on the backburner in the past decade and when I have been around I've spent more time at gear forums.  Lots of interesting people online kind of got lost to the ether in the past decade or two to "real life" taking over, disinterest, many forums becoming ghost towns, etc.  Not enough newer people to replace them, even in the past year+. 
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 02:48:37 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2188 on: August 11, 2021, 02:55:38 PM »

I remember you.

Yep, you're one of the ones I recognize.  i was hoping the pandemic would bring more people back out of the woodwork.  I never really left the online space, per se, but forums have been more on the backburner in the past decade and when I have been around I've spent more time at gear forums.  Lots of interesting people online kind of got lost to the ether in the past decade or two to "real life" taking over, disinterest, many forums becoming ghost towns, etc.  Not enough newer people to replace them, even in the past year+.
I know what you mean.  I used to belong to multiple forums, but this is the only one I still frequent.

Life.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2189 on: August 16, 2021, 05:19:40 AM »
I'm not new but I want bacon.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mr.Mister

« Reply #2190 on: September 03, 2021, 01:32:12 PM »
Hi Friends!

Long time reading, first time writing on this forum. I've been a DT fan since ToT came out - hard to believe that's almost 20 years ago  :eek - looking forward having cool discussions!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2191 on: September 03, 2021, 01:33:25 PM »
Welcome to the Real World, um, I mean DTF!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2192 on: September 03, 2021, 01:38:00 PM »
Oh hey Friend!

Offline Arkarian

« Reply #2193 on: October 07, 2021, 12:48:12 PM »
Hi everyone,

been following DTF for quite some time, but finally decided to create an account. Nice to meet you all. I used to be on the MPforums under the same user name back in the days.
I'm from Berlin, Germany and have been a DT fan since the Octavarium era. I'm looking forward to contributing to these forums!

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2194 on: October 07, 2021, 12:48:54 PM »
Greetings!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2195 on: October 07, 2021, 12:54:37 PM »
Welcome!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2196 on: October 07, 2021, 01:52:24 PM »
About damned time you signed up!!!

Offline Arkarian

« Reply #2197 on: October 07, 2021, 02:00:24 PM »
You know what they say about wizards and them never being late...

Thanks for the welcoming words everyone!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2198 on: October 08, 2021, 04:02:11 PM »

No, what do they say?

Welcome to DTF!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2199 on: October 11, 2021, 08:34:27 AM »

No, what do they say?
You probably really don't know, do you?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2200 on: October 11, 2021, 08:40:10 AM »

No, what do they say?
You probably really don't know, do you?

It's Tim dude...he's a black hole where pop culture references go to die.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2201 on: October 11, 2021, 05:34:16 PM »
Fuck, I don't know either.  :(
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2202 on: October 11, 2021, 08:00:53 PM »
 :lol

Offline Arkarian

« Reply #2203 on: October 12, 2021, 12:17:51 AM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2204 on: October 12, 2021, 06:15:43 PM »
That doesn't help.

Is that a TV show?