DTF Official Newb Welcome Thread v. 2.0 (Introduce yourself here!)

Started by XianL, April 30, 2009, 07:46:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sylvinception

Hello everyone!!

I'm new here, I'm french so I appologise for my english... ;D
My name is Sylvain and I live near Paris.I am a big fan of DT since 1994 and the release of "Awake".

At the time I was listening to some hard rock fm bands like Bon Jovi (yes, at one time they played hard rock, but not anymore... :facepalm:), Whitesnake, Cinderella, Winger, or other bands like Queensryche, Megadeth, Aerosmith or Tesla...I don't really remember how I heard of DT, all I remember is that I was very curious to listen "Awake", after reading all these good reviews and subjects about them in the press.
And of course, when I first listened to Awake I was totally dazzled, and this is how I fell in love with the band.

Now I am 41 years old and and if I don't really listen hard rock anymore, I remain faithful to DT, because once you have tasted their music you can't live without it!! :heart

Today I listen mostly pop or rock bands like Depeche Mode, Simple Minds, Manic Street Preachers, Queen, Texas...And, as a long time fan of Bon Jovi, if I am disgusted by the "candy pop orientation" of the band (thanks a lot Jon... :censored), I remained a big fan of guitarist Richie Sambora, his solo albums are outstanding, as his work on classic rock albums like "New Jersey", "Slippery when wet" or "Keep the faith" of course!! :metal

Movies are my other passion.

To be honest I'm a little worried about how I will be received here, because I'm not an "usual" fan of DT when it comes about my favourites albums of the band...

"Metropolis 2000" is not part of my favourites albums, and I do not like "Black clouds and silver linings"!!
I hope you will forgive me... ;D

"Awake", "Images and words", "6DOIT" and "Train of thought" and "Falling into infinity" remains the albums I listen the most.

I really liked "ADTOE", but I will go to the thread dedicated to the album to talk about it...

See ya soon!! ;)

MoraWintersoul

Welcome! Don't worry, the prog metal crowd is the majority of the forum but almost all of us have eclectic tastes, and there's loads of people who appreciate pop and rock :)

Nekov

Hey sylvinception! Welcome to the forum and enjoy your stay.

Oh, and don't mind the creepers, we're they're not that bad

wasteland

Welcome! And as the other said, don't be afraid of having unconventional ideas (and liking IAW, Awake and SDOIT aren't considered as such here), it's always welcome and refreshing to read about them.

See you around  :tup

Scorpion

Bonjour Sylvain! Comment ça va? Malhereusement, je ne parle pas beaucoup de français, so I'll just switch to English here: nice to have you on board and enjoy your stay! This is a really cool place for discovering new music or meeting awesome people. :tup

sylvinception

Holy shit I forgot to say I'm also a fan of Def Leppard and The Cult!!
How could I forget them ?? :o

I'd be damned!! :loser:

Thanks to all of you guys for your welcome messages!! :tup

?

Quote from: sylvinception on March 25, 2013, 08:58:29 AM
To be honest I'm a little worried about how I will be received here, because I'm not an "usual" fan of DT when it comes about my favourites albums of the band...
No worries, all kinds of opinions are welcome here - that's why this place is called a discussion board. And as wasteland said, I&W, Awake and Six Degrees are all popular albums. Hopefully you'll enjoy your time here! :)

lonestar

You don't like Scenes from a Memory?? GTFO man....

Just kidding, welcome, and have some bacon... :godisgood:
Quote from: Stadler on January 20, 2022, 12:15:29 PMLonestar, speaking wise.  :)

#Stadler/Hunnus2024

obscure

The Stray Seed

Bienvenu Sylvain!

This is an open-minded community, so make yourself comfortable =)

PuffyPat

EDIT: Whoops. Wrong thread.

DebraKadabra

Mister Gold

Hello everyone, I'm Mister Gold! :metal Been a lurker here for sometime now, and finally got around to joining!

JayOctavarium

Quote from: Mister Gold on April 15, 2013, 07:41:49 PM
Hello everyone, I'm Mister Gold! :metal Been a lurker here for sometime now, and finally got around to joining!

yo

:JayOctavarium:

Cedar redaC

Mister Gold

Cedar redaC

Thanks, definitely my favorite video game series of all time. :metal

Mister Gold

Quote from: Cedar redaC on April 15, 2013, 08:06:04 PM
Thanks, definitely my favorite video game series of all time. :metal

Likewise! Been a fan since the first game came out in 2002! Ever play The World Ends With You? FANTASTIC game made by a lot of the same people. :metal

Cedar redaC

I haven't played it due to my lack of a DS, but I hear that it's great. I mean, some of the characters even made it into Dream Drop Distance.

Mister Gold

Quote from: Cedar redaC on April 15, 2013, 08:58:04 PM
I haven't played it due to my lack of a DS, but I hear that it's great. I mean, some of the characters even made it into Dream Drop Distance.

Yeah, it's amazing. Kingdom Hearts is my favorite video game series, but TWEWY is probably my favorite single video game. Absolutely phenomenal game. :metal

Cedar redaC

I might have to look around and borrow a DS then. It's going to be tough to beat Kingdom Hearts 2 though. 8 years later and it's still a game that I find ridiculously fun. :)

The Stray Seed

Onno

MoraWintersoul

Scorpion

DebraKadabra

Hi there - did you snag your handle from Once Upon a Time?  If so :tup

Oh, and have some :godisgood:

Scorpion

Deb, are you usurping on lonestar's rite of passage? If so, shame on you. :P

DebraKadabra

Mister Gold

Quote from: DebraKadabra on April 16, 2013, 01:22:26 PM

Hi there - did you snag your handle from Once Upon a Time?  If so :tup

Oh, and have some :godisgood:

Wherever would you get an idea like that, dearie? ;)

BACON. :hefdaddy

black_biff_stadler

Nice Death reference in your avatar text, Senor El Dorado :tup

Mister Gold

Quote from: black_floyd on April 17, 2013, 09:13:35 PM
Nice Death reference in your avatar text, Senor El Dorado :tup

Thanks! TSoP is one of my all-time favorite albums, along with the other two albums referenced. Not necessarily a Top Three or whatever, but certainly some albums I hold in VERY high regard. :tup

jmplayer

Hello everyone!

I have been lurking around here tons and discovered many bands and so I figure I should start posting!

Cedar redaC

Ruba

Limelight

Greetings.

After lurking around for a while and getting a feel for the place, I figured I'd actually start contributing myself. Seems like a lot of forums with a big focus on metal quickly turn into a cesspool of immaturity. Doesn't seem to be the case around here though, which is nice  :)

So I'm a guy in my mid thirties. A lifelong metalhead, although as I get older I find my taste in music ever expanding. Firmly rooted in rock music though, which will probably always feel like "home".

And yes, a big fan of Rush as you can probably guess  :biggrin: