News:

BREAKING NEWS:  Dream Theater reunites with drummer Mike Portnoy (10/25/23)

Main Menu

DTF Official Newb Welcome Thread v. 2.0 (Introduce yourself here!)

Started by XianL, April 30, 2009, 07:46:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

icysk8r

Quote from: millahh on September 01, 2009, 12:29:10 PM
Quote from: 73109 on September 01, 2009, 12:20:33 PM
Quote from: Dimitrius on September 01, 2009, 12:18:33 PM
Quote from: 73109 on September 01, 2009, 12:13:44 PM
Quote from: Dimitrius on September 01, 2009, 12:11:24 PM
It's the "cool" thing to do when you're 14.

I don't do it because I think it's cool, I do it because it has become part of my common vocabulary. Try going an hour without saying "it."
Saying "it" as in "it" or as in "curse words".

Because then you gave an example you can't really give. "It" is a necessary part of one's vocabulary. Curse words aren't.

But they are to me. I did use them so much because it was cool, at around 12-13, that now I can't stop. It's like a need re-hab for swearing.

Look at it this way:  swearing can be very effective, when used in moderation and in well-chosen spots.  However, when used too much, it just makes the person sound like a cretin with a limited vocabulary and not alot of creativity.  If you want to be taken seriously (in life, not just the forum), learn to use it in moderation, and learn some cool adjective/adverbs/nouns to commumicate your ideas.
yeah, my friend doesn't swear, but when he does everyone shuts up because they know he is really mad.

LosferWords

Quote from: ResultsMayVary on September 01, 2009, 12:26:23 PM
Haha. Old school. I don't know if its just me, but when i use the GH:WT guitar, i can nail anything on GH:WT or GH:M but when i play RB2, i can rarely hit hammer-ons without strumming.
It's because the timing window is so small on RB, you have to hit the fret button almost perfectly as it crosses the strum line

ResultsMayVary

Quote from: LosferWords on September 01, 2009, 12:31:57 PM
Quote from: ResultsMayVary on September 01, 2009, 12:26:23 PM
Haha. Old school. I don't know if its just me, but when i use the GH:WT guitar, i can nail anything on GH:WT or GH:M but when i play RB2, i can rarely hit hammer-ons without strumming.
It's because the timing window is so small on RB, you have to hit the fret button almost perfectly as it crosses the strum line
Oh, i didn't know that. The only thing that bothers me is that it only happens with the GH:WT guitar and only on RB2.

Dimitrius

millahh

Quote from: 73109 on September 01, 2009, 12:30:30 PM
Like what?

https://www.amazon.com/Merriam-Webster-English-Dictionary-Inc/dp/087779930X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1251833497&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/Rogets-International-Thesaurus-Barbara-Kipfer/dp/0060935448/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1251833522&sr=1-2

Word choice is necessarily situation-dependent.

Around 14-16, I swore too much too, but I relaized that a). it didn't make me sound particularly intelligent or sophisticated, and b). it was a crutch.  As my vocabulary grew through HS, I found that I could express myself infinitely better with a weel chosen adverb than with a string of expletives.  Then again, I'm a nerd...

Dimitrius

ceight

Hai! Welome to the forum. We have a few things in common so far. I'm 22, from Chicago and also went to the show at the Chicago Theater! :) Good choice with Take the Time! Though, Learning to Live is still my favorite on that album.  

LosferWords

Quote from: ResultsMayVary on September 01, 2009, 12:33:44 PM
Oh, i didn't know that. The only thing that bothers me is that it only happens with the GH:WT guitar and only on RB2.
Well I'm not sure about that, I just know the timing window on RB is VERY small.  I've only used GHWT/GH3 guitars on RB.  Never bothered buying RB specific instruments.

I feel so important with so many replies in my intro thread  :hat

Dimitrius

millahh

Quote from: Dimitrius on September 01, 2009, 12:36:40 PM
A nerd that can't write "well". :P

I can speak well....I just can't type for shit.*

*yes, I used a vulgarity.  Note that I use them infrequently, so my use of it here emphasizes just how abysmal my typing skills are.

LosferWords

Didn't mean to :(, people are replying so quickly.

I really try not to because it is annoying, I know.

Dimitrius

Quote from: millahh on September 01, 2009, 12:43:15 PM
Quote from: Dimitrius on September 01, 2009, 12:36:40 PM
A nerd that can't write "well". :P

I can speak well....I just can't type for shit.*

*yes, I used a vulgarity.  Note that I use them infrequently, so my use of it here emphasizes just how abysmal my typing skills are.
Understood that completely.

Quote from: LosferWords on September 01, 2009, 12:43:30 PM

You can always just quote the different posts. Like I did here.

millahh

Quote from: LosferWords on September 01, 2009, 12:43:30 PM

Nobody gets works up over it happening occasionally.  Habitual/intentional double/triple posting is another matter...

QuoteYou can always just quote the different posts. Like I did here.

Although it is a very highly technical process.

Dimitrius

ResultsMayVary

You have to move the mouse, click on quote, type in the correct area, then click post, then see if you did it correctly, but you fucked up, so you have to do it again, and it all starts where it ends... :) Like I said, I highly technical process.

ResultsMayVary

LosferWords

Quote from: 73109 on September 01, 2009, 12:59:19 PM
You have to move the mouse, click on quote, type in the correct area, then click post, then see if you did it correctly, but you fucked up, so you have to do it again, and it all starts where it ends... :) Like I said, I highly technical process.
What he said  :facepalm:

Dimitrius

Quote from: LosferWords on September 01, 2009, 01:02:03 PM
Quote from: 73109 on September 01, 2009, 12:59:19 PM
What he said  :facepalm:
Hmmm... you just did it perfectly.

LosferWords

I've been labeled a retard already because of a double post  :'(

Dimitrius

Quote from: LosferWords on September 01, 2009, 01:15:51 PM
I've been labeled a retard already because of a double post  :'(
And you've corrected your mistake by quoting. :tup

QuoteHmmm... you just did it perfectly.

Or did he? How do you know you are not hallucinating? *Twilight Zone theme*

Dimitrius

millahh

ceight

Dimitrius

tri.ad

Why am I not surprised that this thread derailed hard, like so many recent threads before...?

ariich

Quote from: 73109 on September 01, 2009, 12:16:46 PM
I know I'm not one to talk about this, but you might want to think about typing normally. It seems to piss a ton of people off if you type like you are I.M.ing. I'm just throwing that out there.
Dunno why you thought you'd bring this up seeing as Losfer's posts have all been fine so far! ???

Oh and the whole swearing-rehab thing is ridiculous. Just read through your posts before you hit "send". If there are curse words, remove some/all of them.

Anyway, welcome Losfer, seems like you'll fit in well here! :D

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 06:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.