Author Topic: Ravenheart's top 50 albums v. If I could start again...  (Read 56335 times)

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Ravenheart's top 50 albums v. No tears, no sympathy
« Reply #141 on: May 17, 2012, 12:24:33 AM »
6. (2006) Emilie Simon - Vegetal

This is the album that piqued my interest in female artists, and to this day, I still haven't heard anything like Emilie Simon's Vegetal. With a unique mishmash of electronic, strings, rock, ambient, and various other wacky styles thrown in, Vegetal flows as an ambitious yet remarkably catchy and accessible exercise in something that few artists can achieve. At times it is reminiscent of Bjork, but with with the eclecticism toned down just a notch. Dame de Lotus is an upbeat, disco-esque song sung in French with delicate and carefully placed violin sections that complement her sweet, savory voice that is both soothing and subtly melancholy. Sweet Blossom is a full-on symphonic piece, dominated by violins and cellos with deep, throbbing electronic beats.  Her lyrical trips, some sung in French and others in English, have a strangely dark undertone to them, such as in Swimming and My Old Friend, the former of which erupts into a harrowing storm of distant arrangements and unsettlingly quiet layers. Even the beautiful ballad In the Lake hints at descending into insanity, and the fun, high-energy Never Fall in Love is a simple scoff and femme fatale circle jerk. And if the titles are any indication, Vegetal makes use of different types of plants to serve as heavy symbolism for Simon's lyrical topics.

Vegetal is densely layered, and oddly it never feels choked with overwhelming ferocity like, say, The Fragile. Indeed, the layers here are much more subtle, often sneaking through the compositions, be it background vocal harmonies or strange little buzzes and chirps that don't pop up until future listens of those same songs. The poppy melodies shine through even its most visceral moments, giving it that extra radio edge that does nothing to demean its quality or integrity. Vegetal, and Emilie simon in general, is a powerful and vital statement for the current music generation, female or otherwise.

Recommended tracks: Sweet Blossom, Dame de Lotus, Swimming

5. (1997) Gary Numan - Exile

You're walking to church. The sun is out, birds are singing, the sky is blue with no clouds whatsoever, and none of those awful homosexuals are around to taint your vision. Just outside of the doors you are greeted by the regular folk, all chatting and praising the lord, looking forward to hearing the word of God for the week, making the same casual small talk you always do. You give that lecherous wink to the nuns they've grown so accustomed to, straighten your tie, slick back your hair, and walk inside.

Something is wrong. Something is very, very wrong.

The inverted cross with a terrified, screaming statue of Jesus at the back top wall of the cathedral is the first error in sight that you see. The acidic holy water in the well near the door that burned the hands of people who reached in isn't encouraging either. The choir who often sang gospels and praise are dressed in black with ghastly makeup. Some of them look like their faces are decaying. The priest you've grown close to has been replaced with a black robe-clad beast, grinning evilly at you and everyone else, blood seeping through his fangs. The milk-white tiles have been replaced with black, chipped stones, an eerie red light shining through the cracks. The stained glass depicting images of Jesus and God have been replaced with demons raping the Virgin Mary and drinking the blood of a murdered Jesus Chirst. And all through the air are the tortured screams of innocent people.

This is no rehearsal. This is not a dream. This is Gary Numan's Exile, a complete rebirth and transformation of his sound after struggling with his artistic identity for over a decade. After 1994's return-to-form classic known as Sacrifice, Numan realized he was on to something there. Exile kicks that atmosphere found on Sacrifice up a notch or twenty, furnishing his sound with pure evil and total irreverence. Exile is replete with menacing sounds, jagged buzzsaw guitar riffs, hollow industrial drums, and a loose concept about God and Satan, Heaven and Hell, being two sides of the same coin--a sinister reinterpretation of everything related to Christianity. The Gothic synths and pianos instill a cold, hopeless, dreadful atmosphere to each song, coating the rough guitars that drench every lyric and layer. Dominion Day depicts an oncoming storm of impurity and wrath, and that concept is advanced with each song, such as the dystopian Dead Heaven and the suffocating song simply titled Dark. Innocence Bleeding is haunting and quiet, a sort of maniacal tribute to sacrifices made for God. And my all-time favorite Numan track, Absolution, is swathed in the tragic moan of huge, filling Gothic synthesizers and pianos, relating a simple tale of endless, even desperate and miserable, devotion to a God that never gives back. And the album doesn't conclude with a bang or an explosion, but a somber, ominous, bone-chilling vow for revenge. Admittedly, the production is a bit muddy, which may repel some people, but listen closely: that muddiness adds another dimension of unadulterated malevolence.

Numan's renewed love for music put him back on track in the early 90s and sent him on a newfound road of success and amazing albums. With all due respect to his early masterpieces like Telekon and The Pleasure Principle, this is the absolute culmination of his genius, a sinful tale of grotesque blasphemy wrapped up in Gothic industrial bliss, dripping with pure evil like venom from a wasp's stinger. And yes, this was a fun writeup. Some of you assholes better have read it, Goddamnit.

Recommended tracks: Dead Heaven, The Angel Wars, Absolution

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
Re: Ravenheart's top 50 albums v. Hair
« Reply #142 on: May 17, 2012, 12:49:56 AM »
22. (2002) Emilie Autumn - Enchant

I never really shut up about this chick when I started posting more frequently on the forum, and I’m not sure why I was so annoying. Then again, if Martin Luther King stayed silent about his aspirations for blacks everywhere, he never would have gotten shot. Where am I going with this? Anyway, Enchant is in hugely stark contrast to the fusion of classical and industrial to be found on Emilie Autumn’s more popular Opheliac album. It’s much more subdued, softer, and completely different in musical ideas, drawing influence from jazz and celtic music. Prologue: Across the Sky opens with mystical, airy keys that lay the groundwork for her soaring vocals that never venture into being abrasive and rough like they are on Opheliac. How Strange has synthesized strings and hip-hop beats. The Celtic-influenced Juliet is delicately painted with soft electronics and Autumn’s unique vocal talents that fly and rise like a high wind, ethereal violin notes mimicking the chorus. Rose Red’s chorus and marching drums are infectious and entrancing. The apathetic If You Feel Better has a recurring jazzy piano melody that sounds lounge-like.

And then there’s Epilogue: What If. With its empowering lyrics, gorgeous vocal acrobatics, and sweeping, full piano descants, this is the absolute highlight of the album and one of my favorite conclusions to any album ever. It reeks of Tori Amos’s Winter, and yet is its own song entirely. I feel like I’ve overused the word “air” too much in this description, but it’s fitting for Enchant. It’s fairy-like, mystical, and…enchanting.

Some have found Opheliac just not that appealing to the ears, and that’s understandable. Enchant might be the perfect rebound for those people, though, at least those who are still curious. Admittedly, I don’t care too much for a whole lot of what Emilie has done recently, but this album and Opheliac are incredibly pieces of musical and vocal alchemy, and some of the most unique albums in my collection.

Recommended tracks: Prologue: Across the Sky, Juliet, Epilogue: What If

Nice write ups Zander! I think its time I finally check this album out. Will check out some of the other albums I haven't heard too! :tup

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #143 on: May 17, 2012, 02:21:42 AM »
Emilie Simon is great! Haven't heard the other album.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #144 on: May 17, 2012, 02:29:26 AM »
Vegetal!   :heart

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #145 on: May 17, 2012, 07:56:55 AM »

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Ravenheart's top 50 albums v. Hair
« Reply #146 on: May 17, 2012, 11:47:18 PM »
Nice write ups Zander! I think its time I finally check this album out. Will check out some of the other albums I haven't heard too! :tup

:tup

Great to see some Emilie Simon love!

4. (1986) Depeche Mode - Black Celebration

The album that confirmed Depeche Mode's presence as dark, serious, and introspective, Black Celebration is an ominous wash of darkwave synths and hollow atmosphere, leaning very much toward the Gothic. The tone is immediately set with the first track, also the title track, which slowly crescendos into a miserable bang of tragic synths and a celebration of pure misery and regret--a truly black celebration. Even the next track, Fly on the Windscreen, is about sinister eroticism in the midst of death and decay. The synths are creepy and sexual, sounding as if they were filtered through empty tubes and air, rather than filling your headphones richly and upfront. Like with DM's other albums, Dave Gahan's vocals are deep and seductive, while Martin Gore's voice is a beautiful, intimate falsetto ripe with insecurity, displaying it beautiful on A Question of Lust and Sometimes. The album's biggest hit, Stripped, covered by hundreds, possibly even thousands, of bands, is layered with towering, enormous, and borderline hopeful keys, relating a dystopian story of finding solace in a world choked with isolation. Here is the House and the bonus track, But Not Tonight, are the only glimmers of unrequited solace and peace from the troubles of life, sounding intimate and welcoming. Dressed in Black is delightfully pervy in its tribute to black-clad women, the album's fetish/BDSM song (there's always at least one on most DM albums), and New Dress concludes Black Celebration on a very cynical, dark note.

Black Celebration is what upped Depeche Mode's ante from a very solid alternative/new wave act with Goth and industrial leanings to a great band, period. While not as important as Violator, it is nonetheless a critical step in their evolution as artists and one of the most unique and influential albums in the electronic music scene, Gothic or otherwise.

Recommended tracks: Black Celebration, A Question of Lust, Stripped

3. (2004) Sarah Fimm - Nexus

You know Dummy. You probably also know Mezzanine. Well, trip-hop fan, here's a a trip-hop album you might not know about at all: Nexus, by none other than the criminally unappreciated Sarah Fimm. Dreamy? Euphoric? Mysterious? Yup, guilty as charged. Nexus is by no means an immediate or instantly grabbing album. It in no way grabs your balls or kicks you in the head with an iron boot. It opens itself to you and offers you an invitation to its world: a hypnotic dimension of deep, ethereal, dreamlike, entrancing mastery, with trip-hop only appropriate as a simple description of the overall sound.

Atmospheric feels like such a cliche way to describe the album, but that's precisely what the entirety of Nexus is, be it the mesmerizing drum grooves or the mellow key textures that are as dense as water yet as light as a feather, like on Velocity or the hushed tragedy of Story of Us. Fimm lets her lyrics explore various emotions, both the happy and the sad, with a dense aura of subtle depression consistent with every beat and every portion of her beautiful, gentle voice. The experimental glitches and bleeps are never jarring or sound blatantly computerized, somehow sounding remarkably organic, as if produced by a physical instrument like a guitar or a piano. They serve to highlight her delicate, spellbinding layers of distant trip-hop.

Nexus is an album meant for either nightfall or very early mornings. It is an album that conjures imagery of sitting on the porch of a cabin in the woods, overlooking the forest as the sky above is overcast with grey clouds. Despite being rather minimalistic, a fairly homogenous flow throughout, it nevertheless achieves in sounding incredibly deep, like the second-to-last track, Great Wide Open, which takes you down a deep, peaceful ocean that never crushes you with its pressure. And the album closes out with the enchanting piano instrumental Storytime, ending calmly and beautifully.

Simply put, I cannot recommend this album enough.

Recommended tracks: Mercury, Story of Us, Great Wide Open

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #147 on: May 18, 2012, 12:09:52 AM »
I love Nexus! Great pick. I have a couple of Depeche Mode albums but never listened to them, will have to get on to that.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #148 on: May 18, 2012, 12:10:02 AM »
Nexus is gorgeous. :tup

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: May 18, 2012, 01:07:01 AM »
Black Celebration :tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #150 on: May 18, 2012, 01:18:34 AM »
Can I take a guess at the top two? Or should I not in case I ruin it? :)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #151 on: May 18, 2012, 01:45:44 AM »
More Sarah Fimm!  :heart

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: May 18, 2012, 05:34:25 AM »
I love nexus!

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: May 18, 2012, 07:59:23 AM »
Nexus is a pretty cool gal.  Your description of Vegetal sounds intriguing.  I may have to check this out.

Oh btw WHERE IS DT!!!?????????!?!?! D:

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: May 18, 2012, 08:07:18 AM »
Nexus is an fantastic album.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #155 on: May 18, 2012, 11:26:45 AM »
Can I take a guess at the top two? Or should I not in case I ruin it? :)

If you think you've got it, fire away! I'll be posting both of them tonight anyway, so it's not like there's some drawn-out anticipation for them.

All the Nexus/Sarah Fimm loves make me happy.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Re: Ravenheart's top 50 albums v. Death is everywhere
« Reply #156 on: May 18, 2012, 11:34:37 AM »
in b4 Opheliac
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #157 on: May 18, 2012, 11:36:01 AM »
Opheliac was on #14.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #158 on: May 18, 2012, 11:43:26 AM »
The Downward Spiral perhaps? Or maybe I missed it..

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #159 on: May 18, 2012, 03:48:09 PM »
Never tried Nexus. Only know A Perfect Dream.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #160 on: May 18, 2012, 05:01:19 PM »
I'm gonna guess:

#2: NIN - TDS
#1: POS - TPE

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Ravenheart's top 50 albums v. If I could start again...
« Reply #161 on: May 19, 2012, 12:07:34 AM »
Okay, here it is: the moment all of you (2 or 3 people) have been waiting for.

Thanks to everyone who followed. I know it probably wasn't the most interesting or exciting, but I did my best and was glad to write about albums that have had a big impact on me. Maybe some of them will have a big impact on you as well.

2. (1994) Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral

Distant static. A harsh beating sound. Then the faint groans and startled yelps of a man. No, this isn't Andydt's bedroom. This is the beginning to Mr. Self Destruct, the first track on Nine Inch Nails' 1994 industrial phenomenon The Downward Spiral. Be it the tortured screams of women and children to serve as melodies on The Becoming, the gradual crescendo of nightmarish walls of sound on Eraser, or the tormented anguish and regret of the tear-jerker Hurt, The Downward Spiral is brutally honest in all of its angst-ridden misery. Mr. Self Destruct is schizophrenic, abrasive, fast, LOUD. Piggy is a slithering bass beat of moody sounds and the constant repeat of "Nothing can stop me now." Heresy juxtaposes between creepy, jarring synth and loud industrial rock, as does the turbulent discord of March of the Pigs.

Whether it's true industrial or not, The Downward Spiral is remarkably experimental, especially for an album that sold over 4 million copies. The dance club hit Closer, a blunt, straight-to-the-point sex anthem is nonetheless dark and self-loathing, filled with voyeuristic beats and the scattering of sinister synths that strangle. Ruiner and I Do Not Want This take advantage of hollow, airy filtering, like extracted from an airplane in flight. Trent Reznor's voice can be quiet and menacing, or choked with unrestrained fury at the world and at himself. The contrast of verses and choruses often display the different levels of anger in his voice, adding to the very unpleasant and uncertain atmosphere of The Downward spiral.

The overall story is that of a man's emotional downward spiral, peeling back the layers of both himself and society, finding nothing but mistakes and decay. He uses sex and counterfeit emotional support in an attempt to fill the void, but in the end it only adds to his misery. Along the way, he denounces religion, society, sex, prostitution, drugs, therapy, and himself.

The Downard spiral is by no means the creation of industrial music, of course. It was around much longer before the 90s, evolving in the late 70s, as many industrial elitists love pointing out to NIN fans. But what makes The Downward Spiral so remarkable in the innovation department is its ability to fuse those jagged, ugly soundscapes with rich pop melodies and endless hooks, coated with rich synth and guitar work, as well as captivating choruses and consistent, coherent themes throughout the lyrics. All of the industrial staples are here: beats, synths, walls of harrowing and indecipherable noise, samples taken from movies and God knows what else. But with those tools are the formulas to make pop songs. And that's the inherent magic. Reznor's lyrics may sound somewhat pedestrian, but the obvious honesty and natural bluntness are undeniably powerful.

Hurt. Everyone knows this to be Johnny Cash's song, and NIN naysayers can't wait to discredit Reznor entirely and say that Cash gave it an emotional potence Reznor failed to give it. Well, those people are terrorists and communists. Reznor's voice, a whimper choked with restrained tears, pours his soul into each and every word over the hushed ambiance and soft acoustic guitar. With the tale of regret finally completed, it erupts into a cataclysm of buzzing guitars and static, drowning away the narrator.

It's not often an album can drive me to tears. I've heard plenty of sad and miserable songs (as evidenced by this list), but The Downward Spiral is unique in that regard. It has helped me with many tough times in my life, be it my trivial 13-year-old problems of my now 19-almost-20-year-old problems. Even in its darkest moments, I have found a light in it that I can hold onto, something to remind me that I am not alone. For better or worse, this album was what morphed me from a casual music listeners to an obsessor, and to this day, The Downward Spiral remains on a high plateau in my eyes.

Recommended tracks: Closer, Reptile, Hurt

1. (1989) The Cure - Disintegration

"Disintegration is the best album ever!" - Stan from South Park.

Here we are at #1. This might be surprising to some, while others saw it coming from a mile away. Admittedly, when I first heard Disintegration about 7 years ago, it wasn't anything that much appealed to me. It was well-written, sure. I could tell. It was definitely layered. And it was definitely sad. But it didn't mean much to me.

Fast-forward to today, and this album means more to me than any piece of music ever should. And not to sound pretentious, but I can't recommend just a few tracks. Oh no, every bit of this album deserves to be heard.

The previous albums by The Cure saw them moving more and more toward a pop sound, much to frontman Robert Smith's chagrin. He wanted to create something darker, a little moodier, a little more serious--so much so that he actually remained silent during the entire recording of a certain little 1989 album, refusing to speak to anyone, even his own band members, all to create an unpleasant atmosphere in the studio.

Unpleasant? Yeah, you could say that.

The opener Plainsong explodes with huge, swelling, almost orchestral synths that are breathtaking in their vast, oceanic beauty, ascending and descending like waves. Smith's vocals echo with clean reverb, adding an undertone of discontentment, almost seeming like a contradiction to the gorgeous atmosphere spread out. Pictures of You is mellower, dreamier, and just as immersive but in a much different way--somber yet inviting, with pools of delicate guitars fading in and out over echoing, slow drums. Smith's voice tells of isolation and obsession with the photographs of a long lost lover. Even the huge hit Lovesong, which has been covered hundreds upon hundreds of times throughout history, an aptly-titled tribute to a lover, is tinged with desperation. Fascination Street hints at sexual deviancy in subtle club play and nightlife under thick layers of that rich Gothic nihilism.

The second half of Disintegration is much more treacherous, like stepping off a cliff in the middle of the night during a storm. Prayers for Rain is heavy and bursting with misery, all of the grievances that come with endlessly devotional love for someone cold and sadistic. Its brooding lurk feels like a heavy rain beating down, pushing you further into some Gothic abyss of tragedy and regret. The Same Deep Water as you is a little gentler, but with just as much desperation as ever, filled to the brim with tragic romanticism and the bleak tinkering of distant guitar chords with distant synths hovering above like clouds. It even ends with what sound like a rain storm.

The title track is quick, heavy, dense, and entwined with a malevolent and heart-wrenching marriage of guitar/synth that makes its presence known only a few times during the 8-minute run. Smith's lyrics tell of a relationship gone bad, becoming more desperate and nightmarish as it goes on, his voice building in volume and grief as if giving into the pressure of something crushing him. Homesick retreats to more mellow territories, lush with seductive piano and guitar washes, splashing water on your face to wipe away those tears and all of that ruined makeup.

But the album goes out with Untitled, which is a sigh, not a yell or a whisper--just a meek sigh of regret for what could have been and what should have been said.

Disintegration is like standing at the edge of the ocean while feeling suicidal. You look down, and it's seemingly beautiful and welcoming enough--a fitting and simple end. After taking the plunge, it's far deeper, darker, and heavier than you ever imagined. You feel yourself suffocated by the pressure of the water above you, knowing that the waves up high are too turbulent for you to come up for air. Deeper and deeper you descend, terrified by the ominous shadows lurking with you down there in the deep dark, watching you, contemplating you. The more you struggle, the deeper you descend. But finally, you come up for air, only ti discover an enormous thunderstorm of flashing lightning and blistering, heavy rain. The waves hammer upon you, slapping you around, making you their bitch, scarring you with faded red. And at the very end of it all, looking down into the sea and high up above at the clouds, the natural beauty of all of the terror and ugly emotions. Your suicide was negated, and instead you were taken to the deepest ocean, seeing nothing but black, the black of your own life, the black of your own past endeavors and relationships that crumbled at your own hands. You wanted a romantic death but found the memories of all past mistakes, wrapped into a package of ocean and sky. I am rambling.

But that's what it feels like. Disintegration is a journey or pure regret, never once feeling contrived. It's an exploration of honest emotions and an examination of failure, and it sucks you into its deep, dense world--an absolute engulfment. It transcends both Goth and post-punk, becoming an exhibition of humanity's ugliest, saddest failures. The deep, romantic layers of instrumentation of thick veils and drapes laid over these laments.

Through every hardship and every frustration I come about in my life, Disintegration will always be with me. It grabs me and puts me under the microscope, but it's right next to me. It's the only album that can do that much to me aside from The Downward Spiral, and before it clicked, I didn't think anything would ever top it for me. Even during the creating of this list, I constantly flipped the orders. But Disintegration came out as the winner, if just by a nudge. Its deep, mysterious, layered beauty still captivates me, and yet, simultaneously, it somehow eludes me, as if I still haven't fully uprooted everything about it. It's still down there in that deep dark ocean, still waiting for me to understand it fully. But every time I listen to it, every time I let it examine me, I peel back a new layer and find a new thread, each more beautiful than the last while completing the picture. And that picture, dark and miserable thing it is, is rapturously beautiful.

And that is how I met your mother.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #162 on: May 19, 2012, 12:09:00 AM »
THE DOWNWARD SPIRAL IS AMAZING!!!!

also great write-ups and list and tons of stuff i'll check out thanks bahbeh

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #163 on: May 19, 2012, 12:11:05 AM »
Excellent write ups!  :tup I've been wanting to check out both of those albums for quite some time now, I will try and do both this weekend.

Enchant was interesting. Some of the songs were very good, but all in all I felt it was a bit too long and got kind of stale and it lost my attention at points. I'll give it more spins.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #164 on: May 19, 2012, 01:23:08 AM »
Great writeups! I got one right at least. I guessed TPE because in someones list he had it at 37 and I thought you commented something like 36 spots too low... although it was probably someone else, I probably got confused. Anyway I will check out a lot of this list. The Cure are a great band too.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #165 on: May 19, 2012, 05:27:20 AM »
Nice. Well, I don't know about 70% of he albums you listed, so I'll have to check some things out. Can you please post the full list? :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #166 on: May 19, 2012, 08:16:57 AM »
Thanks, guys. And thanks for following the whole thing.

Nice. Well, I don't know about 70% of he albums you listed, so I'll have to check some things out. Can you please post the full list? :)

Sure!

50. Unter Null – The Failure Epiphany (2005)
49. Chiasm – Reform (2005)
48. Dead Can Dance – Within the Realm of a Dying Sun (1987)
47. Reflexion – Dead to the Past – Blind for Tomorrow (2008)
46. Ayria –Flicker (2006)
45. Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross – The Social Network OST (2010)
44. Opeth – My Arms, Your Hearse (1998)
43. Kate Bush – Hounds of Love (1985)
42. The Smashing Pumpkins – Siamese Dream (1993)
41. Poe – Haunted (200)
40. New Order – Power, Corruption, & Lies (1983)
39. The Sisters of Mercy – Floodland (1987)
38. Agalloch – The Mantle (2002)
37. The Birthday Massacre – Violet (2004)
36. Tori Amos – Little Earthquakes (1992)
35. Skinny Puppy – VIVIsect IV (1988)
34. Covenant – United States of Mind (2000)
33. Rasputina – How We Quit the Forest (1998)
32. The Smiths – Strangeways Here We Come (1987)
31. For My Pain… – Fallen (2003)
30.  Assemblage 23 – Compass (2009)
29. Sarah Fimm – A Perfect Dream (2001)
28. Siouxsie and the Banshees – Tinderbox (1987)
27. Type O Negative – Bloody Kisses (1993)
26. Gary Numan – Telekon (1980)
25. Opeth – Still Life (1999(
24. Depeche Mode – Violator (1990)
23. Radiohead – Kid A (2000)
22. Emilie Autumn – Enchant (2002)
21. Bjork – Vespertine (2001)
20. The Cruxshadows – Ethernaut (2003)
19. Vast – Visual Audio Sensory Theater (1998)
18. Nine Inch Nails – The Fragile (1999)
17. VNV Nation – Empires (1999)
16. Sopor Aeternus & the Ensemble of Shadows – Les Fleurs Du Mal (2007)
15. The Cure – The Head on the Door (1985)
14. Emilie Autumn – Opheliac (2006)
13. Dredg – Catch Without Arms (2005)
12. Jill Tracy – Diabolical Streak (1999)
11. Bright Eyes – Lifted (2002)
10. Joy Division – Closer (1980)
9. Anathema – Judgement (1999)
8. Tori Amos – From the Choirgirl Hotel (1998)
7. VNV Nation – Futureperfect (2002)
6. Emilie Simon – Vegetal (2006)
5. Gary Numan – Exile (1997)
4. Depeche Mode – Black Celebration (1986)
3. Sarah Fimm – Nexus (2004)
2. Nine Inch Nails – The Downward Spiral (1994)
1. The Cure – Disintegration (1989)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 08:26:06 AM by Ravenheart »

Offline Mladen

« Reply #167 on: May 19, 2012, 09:38:15 AM »
That awkward moment when I realize I've only listened to two albums in your entire top 50.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #168 on: May 19, 2012, 09:48:40 AM »
I only know 15 or so.  :o

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: May 19, 2012, 09:52:20 AM »
I know 6 :P
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #170 on: May 19, 2012, 09:53:15 AM »
1. The Cure – Disintegration

I had a feeling on this one.  Great list and write ups!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #171 on: May 19, 2012, 10:05:14 AM »
I only listened to 5 out of 50 but the descriptions sound intringuing enough, I've added Depeche Mode, the Cure and NIN to my musical to-do list.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: May 19, 2012, 10:36:11 AM »
I've listened to 9 out of 50!  Gonna check some of these artists out.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #173 on: May 19, 2012, 04:54:49 PM »
I've listened to fifteen of these!

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #174 on: May 19, 2012, 09:51:56 PM »
19/50

GOTH AS FUCK
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.