Author Topic: Jirpo's Roulette Round 5 Results Up!  (Read 19344 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Jirpo's Roulette Round 2 Results Up!
« Reply #105 on: May 20, 2012, 08:42:41 PM »
Cool... I'll get to review them over a cup of coffee tomorrow morning.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
Re: Jirpo's Roulette Round 2 Results Up!
« Reply #106 on: May 21, 2012, 05:49:02 AM »
Round 4

High scoring round! Great submissions guys!

Gorille - The Tallest Man on Earth - Where Do My Bluebirds Fly
Nice submission! Awesome acoustic work and a really great voice. I thought about being alone in an open field and it really suited that atmosphere, so nice job there. This would actually have been a good submission for round 2 aswell in my opinion. Very stripped down and lovely song. Will be checking out his albums for sure. Thanks!
6 Points

Reaper - Incubus - Aqueous Transmission
Beautiful song! The soft acoustic and woodwind instruments really created a relaxed atmosphere, although you didn't specify a place it made me feel like lying down in a sunny grassy field overlooking a river. The soothing vocals assisted in that respect. Took me on a little journey and I felt so relaxed afterwards. The song didn't progress much, but that suited it perfectly, I got lost in its sound quite easily.
7 Points

Ravenheart - Loreena Mckennitt - Dante's Prayer
I must admit, I listened to this one first and thought Raven had dominated the round again! But many other submissions were just as good this time round. Really beautiful song, the vocals and piano were so touching and I felt really moved as I imagined the description you gave me (which the song really fit! definitely a sunset song in my opinion). I will definitely be checking out this artist for sure! Great song that took me somewhere emotionally as well as creating an atmosphere which fit a specific place.
7 Points

Kari - Immanu El - Storm
I had already heard a couple of songs by these guys on youtube but this was slightly different to what I had heard before. Perfect setting you gave me! Really touching and I got a little emotional listening to the song. It gave me the feel of a rainforest with waterfalls when the rain is pouring down. Overall just a great song with an awesome build up which I really loved, the vocals were lovely and suited the song perfectly. Nice one! Was deciding between 8 and 7 but just snuck ahead of the many other contenders for the round.
8 Points

Jingle - Frost* - Welcome to Nowhere
That's more like it! I loved that you twisted the round criteria here slightly with your description and it really paid off. To be honest, not what I was looking for in the round but since I was so vague I can't be harsh on that and I loved your description (and the song). Some amazingly catchy and powerful vocals in this song and awesome transitions between the less and more heavy sections. Will check this band out!
6 Points

Nekov - Frost* - Hyperventilated
A repeat of artists! This sounded quite different to what Jingle sent though. An instrumental song with an awesome piano opening and some great keyboard and guitar work through the song, with some crazy solos at times. Definitely adhered to the description you sent. Loses marks because I got a little bored during some of the solo parts. Still a solid choice!
5 Points

Elite - Wolves in the Throne Room - Dia Artio
I actually have a few of these guys albums on order, waiting for them to arrive, so I already know their sound from listening to one song on youtube. Anyway, I love ambient/atmospheric black metal so great choice! Loved the wall of sound the guitars created and just the whole atmosphere of the song (like much of the genre) really created that feeling of a dense, thick forest in deep night. The atmosphere is really key here, you just have to lose yourself to the song! I imagine it would work much better in a full album setting too.
7 Points

Wolfking - Kamelot - Karma
Definitely a very eastern feel to the song. Started off very strong, but dragged a little towards the end. Some strong and very catchy vocals and pretty cool guitar work. I don't really have too much to say here, although the song was very solid it didn't really take me anywhere personally, either emotionally or causing me to imagine a certain scenery.
5 Points

Everyone really stepped it up this round! Another very low deviation of scores. People that would normally have broken away from the pack a little haven't because of the strong submissions by everyone. Thanks guys, heaps of great stuff to check out from that round.

Ravenheart - 31
Kari - 24
Reaper - 24
Wolfking - 23
Nekov - 21
Gorille - 19
Elite - 20
Jingle - 15

Hopefully this puts all those comments about my "harsh marking" aside :p Aside from Raven, who still hasn't had anything close to even a decent round, the results are evening out with the majority all within 4 points.

Round 5

We've reached the half-way point! Before I start on another string of very specific round criteria, I'll give you another open round! So send whatever you please! :)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 06:32:40 AM by Jirpo »

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Jirpo's Roulette Round 4 Results Up!
« Reply #107 on: May 21, 2012, 06:29:39 AM »
Yeah, Jboys Frost* song is better. It sounds quite different cause they're from different albums which you should check.

I sent a song for round 5.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: May 21, 2012, 07:16:48 AM »
Great minds think alike!

*ponders round 5 submission*
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: May 21, 2012, 07:47:47 AM »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #110 on: May 21, 2012, 09:53:32 AM »
Cool. Some points actually get given now :)

You're getting mine soon, but I want it to be something you like, so I'm going to have to shuffle through my options first.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #111 on: May 22, 2012, 01:52:02 AM »
I'VE GOTTEN MORE POINTS THAN RAVEN THIS ROUND!!!! :D

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #112 on: May 22, 2012, 03:36:55 AM »
I GOT JUST AS MANY POINT AS RAVEN DID THIS ROUND!!!! :D
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: May 23, 2012, 04:29:14 AM »
Sending song within the hour.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: May 23, 2012, 06:50:02 AM »
Sent via Email!

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #115 on: May 23, 2012, 06:52:06 AM »
Thanks guys!

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #116 on: May 23, 2012, 08:35:50 AM »
Sent yesterday!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: May 23, 2012, 03:39:36 PM »

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: May 24, 2012, 08:53:17 PM »
Everyone in now?

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #119 on: May 25, 2012, 10:35:39 PM »
Sorry guys, have listened to them all once but was really busy last night to do another listen/review so I'll do it tonight (in about 6 hours).

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #120 on: May 26, 2012, 05:59:40 AM »
I don't think I've recieved a song from Elite ? Just realised I only listened to 7 songs. I've written the writeups for the others. Sorry, any chance you could resend? I must not have recieved it for some reason.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: May 27, 2012, 03:58:27 AM »
Bump.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #122 on: May 27, 2012, 05:36:21 AM »
Elite still hasn't sent a song.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: May 27, 2012, 05:52:53 AM »
Elite, come on you know what to do.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #124 on: May 27, 2012, 05:56:02 AM »
I know what I have to do. I'm sending one as I'm typing. I'm in the middle of moving houses and I'm currently staying and my parents' house, because all the stuff in my own flat is ready to be moved.. I've had a busy week preparing the move and all that, so that's why I haven't sent one yet. Anyway, Jirpo, you should get one within the next 5 minutes, sending by PM with a youtube link, because I don't have my music collection nearby ;)

I hope sending late doesn't give me a huge disadvantage.  :lol
Squ

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: May 27, 2012, 06:32:50 PM »
Moving house sucks ass!

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #126 on: May 28, 2012, 02:01:14 AM »
Round 5

Jingle - Star One - Digital Rain
Pretty solid song with good vocals, a few parts were pretty catchy but overall I felt like I was just waiting for it to finish. The instrumental section was kinda boring with the synth solo. The ending was interesting but to me it dragged on too long. Despite all that it was still decent! :)
3 Points

Gorille - DJ Shadow - Building Steam with a Grain of Salt
Very haunting... I loved it! I haven't really heard much of this sort of music before so it was very interesting and different for me. Really cool song with an awesome dark/serious atmosphere. Awesome fact: There was a quiz night a few weeks ago I went to and there was some album covers, this was on there! None of us knew it :p Pretty cool I reckon.
6 Points

Kari - Frightened Rabbit - Keep Yourself Warm
Cool catchy song! Interesting message and lyrics. Just some really cool vocal melodies and the first thing I noticed was the huge Scottish accent! :p Great chorus and overall just a pretty normal but solid song. Can't really think of too much else to say.
5 Points

Ravenheart - Jill Tracey - Evil Night Together
Definitely a decent song, though it didn't captivate me as much as your earlier submissions. Quite a dark song but I found the keys very "bouncy" which detracted from the atmosphere in my opinion, they didn't really suit with the vocals to me. Some cool violin at one point. The vocals were the main highlight here.
4 Points

Wolfking - Blessed by a broken heart - Shut up and rock
Very upbeat and catchy song! I found the song a little repetitive and didn't really like the lyrics or message behind the song that much however and I didn't really connect with it that well. Pretty cool solo particularly towards the end. Some catchy vocal melodies too.
4 Points

Reaper - From Monument To Masses - Beyond Good & Elvis
Great song! Very different from everyone else this round, quite heavy at parts and some cool voice samples which really added to the atmosphere. Some cool transitions between soft and heavier sections too. Nice one!
6 Points

Elite - Mr. Bungle - Ars Moriendi
Definitely a very crazy song! Constant changes in tempo/heaviness and some very interesting vocals made it an entertaining listen. Never really heard anything like this before! I didn't find it spectacular overall though. Thanks for the interesting song!
4 Points

Nekov - Dragon - Sunburst
Really cool song! Quite progressive with a beautiful little intro. Most of it was quite laid-back which I'm not used to in this style of music. The singer had a really nice voice which is always a plus. The song lost points for being a bit too samey throughout. Still really good though!
5 Points

Ravenheart - 35
Reaper - 30
Kari - 29
Wolfking - 27
Nekov - 26
Gorille - 25
Elite - 24
Jingle - 18

Round 6
I want an emotional song that makes me feel hugely relieved! Like as in you've had a tumor taken out, been waiting for a week to find out the results and its not cancerous. Send me a song you would listen to in this kind of situation :)

« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 03:17:21 AM by Jirpo »

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #127 on: May 28, 2012, 02:43:54 AM »
Like as in you've had a tumor taken out, been waiting for a week to find out the results and its not cancerous, or you thought you might fail a unit at uni only to get your exam results back to find out you've passed! Send me a song you would listen to in this kind of situation :)
I would listen to completely different kinds of songs in those cases...

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #128 on: May 28, 2012, 03:16:36 AM »
Like as in you've had a tumor taken out, been waiting for a week to find out the results and its not cancerous, or you thought you might fail a unit at uni only to get your exam results back to find out you've passed! Send me a song you would listen to in this kind of situation :)
I would listen to completely different kinds of songs in those cases...
Hmm ok I guess the second example is a bit different from the first. I'll remove the second example. Just send a song that makes you feel relieved in some way :) I'm not gonna penalise something if it strays from the criteria (unless its stupidly off), I'm interested to see how each of you interprets the rounds in different ways :)

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: May 28, 2012, 04:34:16 AM »
Holy shit man, do you like anything??  :D  ???  :-\  I say that half joking and half serious.  Our musical compatibility is clearly about as compatible an Israelite wedding in Palestine.

Well, I guess it's time to pull out the Costanza strategy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=RerJWv5vwxc#t=27s

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: May 28, 2012, 04:42:43 AM »
I don't even have to click on that link to know that you are talking about doing the exact opposite of all your basic instincts.  :lol

I have no idea what I'm gonna send.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: May 28, 2012, 06:58:18 AM »
I love how the reviews are all good yet the scores are not  :P

I'll think about this one and send later.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #132 on: May 28, 2012, 07:32:34 AM »
Holy shit man, do you like anything??  :D  ???  :-\  I say that half joking and half serious.  Our musical compatibility is clearly about as compatible an Israelite wedding in Palestine.

Well, I guess it's time to pull out the Costanza strategy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=RerJWv5vwxc#t=27s
I love how the reviews are all good yet the scores are not  :P

I'll think about this one and send later.
Like I've said before, it only matters how you get relative to the others. I believe in using the full spectrum of scores. 5 is what I am expecting, and obviously I expect quite good songs. So even if you get a 3, I still definitely enjoy the song on some level at least. It's not that I don't like what you guys are sending me by any means, far from it in fact. I've found heaps of great stuff to check out :) Just don't let the scores bother you! If you want to feel better, just add 3 onto everyones scores in your head :lol Same effect.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: May 28, 2012, 07:40:47 AM »
 :lol I'm cool with that. Since I'm bothering you with minor stuff, you should change the thread title to round 5 results in. And cut your hair :huh:

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: May 28, 2012, 07:46:32 AM »
:lol I'm cool with that. Since I'm bothering you with minor stuff, you should change the thread title to round 5 results in. And cut your hair :huh:

I'm totally cool with it to.  As I said in my own roulette, and RJ put so eloquently in his, I don't get all butt-hurt with the scores.  Musical taste is a very unique and individual thing - also, as Nekov is finding out in my roulette!  I think your approach to scoring is just different than my interpretation of a 10 points scale.  For you, you're expecting a 5, and going up down from there.  For me, 5 is average, and then score up/down from there (ie, anything under 5 would be a mediocre or sub-par song).

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: May 28, 2012, 07:50:13 AM »
Let me correct you a little there Jboy, what I'm learning in your roulette is that your musical taste sucks  :P. These roulettes are very interesting not only to find new music but it's also nice to get to see how other people perceive music which in turn might make other people change their perspective.

Sent by email.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #136 on: May 28, 2012, 08:05:01 AM »

I'm totally cool with it to.  As I said in my own roulette, and RJ put so eloquently in his, I don't get all butt-hurt with the scores.  Musical taste is a very unique and individual thing - also, as Nekov is finding out in my roulette!  I think your approach to scoring is just different than my interpretation of a 10 points scale.  For you, you're expecting a 5, and going up down from there.  For me, 5 is average, and then score up/down from there (ie, anything under 5 would be a mediocre or sub-par song).
Yeah agreed!
Will do sir!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Jirpo's Roulette Round 5 Results Up!
« Reply #137 on: May 28, 2012, 01:50:22 PM »
Ah, well. For a last minute, instant thought submission even 4 points isn't bad in this particular roulette.
Squ

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #138 on: May 28, 2012, 03:23:52 PM »
Sent!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: May 28, 2012, 04:14:55 PM »
Me too, a few hours ago.