Author Topic: What's going to happen to political smear campaigns in the coming generation  (Read 2378 times)

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Considering the rising tide of mass numbers of party photos, facebook, etc, how will this affect political campaigns say, 20 years from now? Will it be a shitshow of embarrassing photos, or will they just be ignored because they're so common?
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
I don't think they'll be ignored. It'll just be the same as before. If they can dig up a lawyer's past when he was a chicken suit wearing stripper and long before Myspace or Facebook was around, if anything, it'll just be way easier. I don't think the next generation would care regardless. Two words: ear gauges.

Offline PraXis

Hopefully they result in steel cage matches between candidates.

Offline Scheavo

Considering the rising tide of mass numbers of party photos, facebook, etc, how will this affect political campaigns say, 20 years from now? Will it be a shitshow of embarrassing photos, or will they just be ignored because they're so common?

No one will care, plus candidates won't run something they can just at easily be attacked for. Call out your opponent for his party photos, get your own thrown up - or, if there are no party photos, paint him as a loser.

Online Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Kennedy basically committed vehicular homocide and was still elected to the senate umpteen million times.
Strom Thurmond ran on completely racist platform in the 40s and was still being elected to the senate 50+ years later.
Clinton tried weed (but didn't inhale) and was elected POTUS.
W. did coke and was elected POTUS.

2 examples from each side of the isle there where they overcame skeletons in the closet.  I think most people look past discretions of youth, and those that don't will continue to be raving lunatics.  Nothing will change.

Offline Scheavo

Kennedy basically committed vehicular homocide and was still elected to the senate umpteen million times.
Strom Thurmond ran on completely racist platform in the 40s and was still being elected to the senate 50+ years later.
Clinton tried weed (but didn't inhale) and was elected POTUS.
W. did coke and was elected POTUS.

2 examples from each side of the isle there where they overcame skeletons in the closet.  I think most people look past discretions of youth, and those that don't will continue to be raving lunatics.  Nothing will change.

You should add Obama tried weed, and inhaled.

Plus, c'mon, we all know Clinton inhaled.

Online Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
it was more of a joke than anything, I don't think anyone actually believed him.  Just pointing out that youthful misdeeds are generally overlooked.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Riceball

• It's the economy, stupid.
This.

Plus I reckon given what my generation put out into the world, and consune from others, smearing is likely to become less of a successful tactic.
I punch those numbers into my calculator and they make a happy face.

A $500 Musical Odyssey: Now accepting nominations

Offline jsem

I don't have facebook. But I'm not an American citizen, so that leaves me out of contention for the presidency. ARGH.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert

I'd pay money for this.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member

I'd pay money for this.

That's very Roman of both of you.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2bniFJigI0

I'm actually looking forward to getting older now, just to see how true this will turn out to be. XD
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.