Author Topic: Overkill  (Read 3845 times)

Offline 2Timer

• The only DT fan who plays country music!
  • Don't turn your back on parrot eyes
Overkill
« on: April 27, 2012, 05:54:50 AM »
I lost all of my old metal collection a long time ago, so maybe someone can help me this one.
At the end of 1 of the old Overkill albums, there is a backwards message. Was it Feel the Fire?
I am God when it goes to hell
When it turns out good I'm not to blame

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
Re: Overkill
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 09:07:47 AM »
The original vinyl release of Feel the Fire has a backwards message that states "There is no message here. You're going to ruin your needle, asshole."

It's pretty lol if you can track it down.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 09:12:12 AM »
The original vinyl release of Feel the Fire has a backwards message that states "There is no message here. You're going to ruin your needle, asshole."

That fucking wins  :biggrin:
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 09:14:48 AM »
Overkill's latest album owns tons of ass, by the way.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline 2Timer

• The only DT fan who plays country music!
  • Don't turn your back on parrot eyes
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 10:01:05 AM »

That's what I was looking for. Thanks!
I am God when it goes to hell
When it turns out good I'm not to blame

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 11:49:16 AM »
Overkill's latest album owns tons of ass, by the way.

Couldn't agree more the last 2 albums are the bestt they have done in years . This is what thrash metal is supposed to sound like
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 11:55:07 AM »
YAY.... Overkill thread... seriously last album is fuckin amazing... Come and Get Me came and got me  :metal

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 01:06:27 PM »
So much music, so little money. I just have Horrorscope and Relixiv, both pretty good and if the new ones have been praised i'm going to have to get these.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online faizoff

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 01:57:43 PM »
RelixIV is my least favorite Overkill album. Ive been following this band since the Years of Decay and have loved almost all their albums. Except Relix, can't stand it. Ironbound was amazing though. Still have to pick up the new one. If Ironbound is any indication then I'm sure Electric Age will be no different.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 02:14:25 PM »
RelixIV is my least favorite Overkill album. Ive been following this band since the Years of Decay and have loved almost all their albums. Except Relix, can't stand it. Ironbound was amazing though. Still have to pick up the new one. If Ironbound is any indication then I'm sure Electric Age will be no different.

I really,only listen to Horrorscope. Reixiv is my least favorite. I've heard many other songs from their live dvds and one live show
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 06:19:42 PM »

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 08:53:02 PM »
I don't know what lit a fire under Overkill, but their last two albums have been really, really fucking good. Like better than their prime good.  :metal
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 06:07:00 AM »
I don't know what lit a fire under Overkill, but their last two albums have been really, really fucking good. Like better than their prime good.  :metal
Agreed completely, and it looks like Kreator is following suit, if their new single is anything to judge the rest of their new album by.

Offline adace

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2014, 03:58:28 AM »
Necrobump. New album's called White Devil Armory, out Jul. 22

Here's the first single Armorist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZD8VIyj95Q

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2014, 05:21:51 AM »
I should give that a listen, as well as anything they might be likely to play live, since I'm supposed to see them in September
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2014, 06:11:49 AM »
Necrobump. New album's called White Devil Armory, out Jul. 22

Here's the first single Armorist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZD8VIyj95Q

Eh, it's okay.  Ironbound was amazing, but the last album didn't do too much for me.  I should get it out and give it a spin though.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2014, 06:59:35 AM »
right in the same vain as the last 2 which too me is classic Overkill

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2014, 09:11:16 AM »
This absolutely fucking kills, just like the last two. I can't complain about that at all. One thing I've noticed about the last two Overkill albums is awesome bridge riffs. This new track follows suit. Hope the rest of the album maintains the quality, because it may become the best run of 3-albums in thrash metal history if it does.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2014, 09:16:38 AM »
This absolutely fucking kills, just like the last two. I can't complain about that at all. One thing I've noticed about the last two Overkill albums is awesome bridge riffs. This new track follows suit. Hope the rest of the album maintains the quality, because it may become the best run of 3-albums in thrash metal history if it does.

Shovelheaded Kill Machine, The Atrocity Exhibition: Exhibit A, and Exhibit B: The Human Condition (I'm not counting the rerecording of Bonded By Blood) have a pretty good run at that too  :tup Too bad Exodus fucked everything up by hiring fucking Zetro back and dumping Dukes  :censored

Will have a listen to this after class, but I'm expecting it will be radical, just like their last two were.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2014, 09:19:59 AM »
Zetro's voice now > Rob Dukes > Zetro's voice in the 80s. Seriously, Tempo of the Damned is fucking baller. Why would anyone be opposed to another album like that? I love the Dukes stuff as much as anybody, but the core songwriting is still there (and always will be). The only difference now is we've got a singer who can actually do the old stuff justice without it sounding like a cheap mallcore ripoff.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2014, 09:25:17 AM »
Personally I can't listen to Tempo of the Damned because of how horrible I find Zetro's voice to be. I could deal with it in the 80's, but he's so fucking nasally, and if I have to listen to another fucking AC/DC cover with his shitty voice I'm going to stab my ears. And I thought Rob Dukes did the old material justice and more. The only reason I don't really like the rerecording of Bonded By Blood is because Gary Holt's guitar tone on the original sounded so much better than on the rerecordings, but Dukes slayed it on the vocals. He added a shit ton of venom and malice to Exodus's sound, and I thought he fit like a glove, a glove with a shit ton of 5 inch nails attached, ready to pummel your face into a bloody pulp. Rob Dukes doing Fabulous Disaster material always sounded killer as well, for the reasons mentioned above.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2014, 12:07:32 PM »
It's alright, but "AMORY AMORY AMORY something something AMORY AMORY AMORY AMORY" is pretty lame. The riffage isn't compelling like it was on the past two albums either, hopefully this is just a weak song, but so far I'm not really impressed.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2014, 05:42:35 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_c3GBrWsao

It's growing on me, I'll pick the album up.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2017, 06:43:31 PM »
Going to see them tonight. Gonna be a great show, having a little few shots at a place near me before I head on to the venue.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2017, 05:04:19 AM »
New album is really solid.  I'm enjoying it quite a bit.  Some nice variation and some killer riffs!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2023, 09:09:41 PM »
UBER BUMP!!!!

So, I feel a little bit ashamed that I don’t know more Overkill stuff.

From 1984-1992, I consumed nearly every single thrash and speed metal band on the planet. (Not quite all, but almost)  Pretty much if it was on Metal Blade, Combat, or Megaforce Records, I was at least familiar with the music.

But my first exposure to Overkill was “Hello From the Gutter” and for some reason, Bobby’s vocals really irritated the crap out of me on that song, and so I didn’t give that album a second pass. But then somehow I got exposed to The Years of Decay when it came out and I absolutely LOVED IT!! I still think that’s one of the best thrash albums I ever heard. That prompted me to pick up Horrorscope when it came out, and I really loved that as well.  But then I Hear Black came out at a time in my life when I was starting to get burnt out on metal and I was exploring other things.  I’m all this time, I never even bothered to go back and visit their first three albums and to this day I’ve never heard a single note from any of them.

But the new album was getting some really rave reviews and I did see them call headline with Symphony acts about five or six years ago and I’ve been thinking about going back and checking out some of the stuff I missed out on.

What is everyone thoughts on the first three albums?  As someone who LOVED TYOD and HS, but didn’t care for Hello From the Gutter, would the first three albums have anything that would face melt me?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Bentower

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2023, 10:46:16 AM »
Those that were around when Overkill got their start seem to value the first two albums in particular over anything that followed and even though I wasn't and I don't, I do see their appeal. They are worth checking out.

Maybe I can offer a couple of highlights?

Rotten to the Core, from Feel the Fire - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6INgMaVZxY
Powersurge, from Taking Over - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVibznI8x34

I do find Under the Influence to be the most hmm... merely solid of the bunch? To me, it doesn't have a clear standout track even if Shred, End of the Line and Overkill III are all pretty cool tunes. The leap they took from that to The Years of Decay only a year later is quite remarkable.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 11:04:51 AM by Bentower »
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.