Author Topic: Looking for Lifting Shadows Special Edition  (Read 4153 times)

Offline wolfandwolfandwolf

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
Looking for Lifting Shadows Special Edition
« on: April 27, 2012, 05:47:05 AM »
If anybody has this, PM or email me if you are looking to part with it.  It would make me really happy.

Offline 2Timer

• The only DT fan who plays country music!
  • Don't turn your back on parrot eyes
Re: Looking for Lifting Shadows Special Edition
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 08:05:40 AM »
Holy shit, the paperback is going for $199-$249 on Amazon!
I am God when it goes to hell
When it turns out good I'm not to blame

Offline dedSurroun

• Words To Clear Your Mind
  • Walking Out Of The Machinery
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 08:27:33 AM »
I wonder what my original box-set, in mint condition, would go for...
And now I've only habits left
to break

Offline Rich Wilson

• Forum VIP
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 08:59:40 AM »
OK, before anyone starts spending silly money on Amazon or ebay, an update for you.
The paperback is virutally done and just in final editing now. The publishers will get the text in the next couple of weeks and then we can work out when it will be published, how you can order and how much it will be. But bearing in mind that it will be a paperback, this is aimed at the mainstream market and will be a lot cheaper than previous editions. There are two new chapters, one covering Mike Portnoy's departure and the drummer search, the other covering the ADToE writing, recording and release. Probably about 18,000 words in total. To keep costs down for everyone, the "side projects" chapter from the 2009 hardback release will be dropped. It won't be available on Kindle / E-book for a while - probably a year or so. And that's all I know!! 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 09:02:02 AM »
That's all I need to know. :tup Sounds good.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 09:04:10 AM »
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 10:53:58 AM »
Will buy as soon as it's available, Rich. Don't keep us waiting too long. ;)
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 10:57:18 AM »
That's great!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 09:26:53 PM »
I'm just curious, is it common to release updated versions of books every couple of years?  I'm sure it's a lot of work and I admire Rich's efforts, but I'm just curious.  I had always assumed that once a book is done, it's done.  But Lifting Shadows seems to be updated with every new DT album.  Will it be updated again following the next album in 2013? 

Personally, I think it's waaaaaay too soon for the band to properly reflect on Portnoy's departure.  I think it would have been wise for them to let the topic die for a while, as opposed to adding it to their authorized biography.  In my opinion the bio should just go up to BC&SL, which is their 25th anniversary, and it should stop there.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 09:41:54 PM »
Will buy as soon as it's available. Been looking for an excuse to finally pick it up.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2012, 10:24:28 PM »
I actually think I'm looking forward to this more than I was looking forward to ADTOE. If possible.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 11:45:50 PM »
If anybody has this, PM or email me if you are looking to part with it.  It would make me really happy.

By that are you referring to the original version that had the photo book and CD?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline wolfandwolfandwolf

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2012, 11:58:54 PM »

By that are you referring to the original version that had the photo book and CD?
I am yeah.  Some one's been in touch with me about it, I think it'll work out.  ;D

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 12:48:30 AM »
I'm just curious, is it common to release updated versions of books every couple of years?  I'm sure it's a lot of work and I admire Rich's efforts, but I'm just curious.  I had always assumed that once a book is done, it's done.  But Lifting Shadows seems to be updated with every new DT album.  Will it be updated again following the next album in 2013? 

Personally, I think it's waaaaaay too soon for the band to properly reflect on Portnoy's departure.  I think it would have been wise for them to let the topic die for a while, as opposed to adding it to their authorized biography.  In my opinion the bio should just go up to BC&SL, which is their 25th anniversary, and it should stop there.

I think it's far too important a part of DT's career to just ignore in an updated biography. You can't just overlook something that crucial.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2012, 05:36:00 AM »
Awesome, finally I can get my hands on it as well. That's great, keep us updated and I will get it once it it released! :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline 2Timer

• The only DT fan who plays country music!
  • Don't turn your back on parrot eyes
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2012, 07:10:15 AM »

I think as long as there's a call for it...and since DT has such a passionate fanbase, there is...it's great that someone is willing and able to update it this much. No, it's not normal, but DT and this fanbase aren't normal either.
Rich probably didn't plan on the updates at first, but a lot has gone on, so I think it's awesome.
If it would be an all-out boxed set with hardbound books every time it would get old, but to me this is fine.
I am God when it goes to hell
When it turns out good I'm not to blame

Offline Rich Wilson

• Forum VIP
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2012, 07:29:29 AM »

It's a fair point but there is a bit of background to this. The first edition (2 book and CD set) was released in 2007. Every single book I can think of is released in hardback and then a paperback. We put a hardback together for release in 2009. Now, the choice I had was to either let the publishers just reissue the old text or update it. To me it seemed that it would be fair to update it. The same happened for the paperback, only this was supposed to have been released right around the time that Mike left. In fact the book, cover and text were literally all ready to go the printers the week Mike resigned. So we pulled that release. So when the publishers look to release that paperback now, I have again updated the text. Plus with both previous releases now unavailable, I and the publishers get e-mails daily from people wanting to buy it, so a low cost paperback release was the best option for all concerned as it won't go out of print quite so easily. The paperback is still planned for the next few months, and I will keep you updated as to how things develop.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2012, 03:50:44 PM »
Awesome!  Thanks Rich and I can't wait to buy my 3rd copy!  :coolio

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2012, 10:24:58 PM »
Ditto for the above!  :smiley:

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2012, 11:39:33 AM »
Yeah, I'll buy this too.    :hat

Offline dedSurroun

• Words To Clear Your Mind
  • Walking Out Of The Machinery
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2012, 02:53:13 PM »
I've only read the original edition, so I should probably pick up the updated and revised one...

I'm guessing you guys can recommend it?  :metal
And now I've only habits left
to break

Offline Rich Wilson

• Forum VIP
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2012, 10:12:33 AM »
We're still in the process of finalising the two new chapters but this should be done in a couple of weeks. Full details to follow and sorry for the delay on this!