Poll

Pick your Top 3 Tangent Studio albums!

The Music That Died Alone
The World That We Drive Through
A Place In The Queue
Not As Good As The Book
Down And Out In Paris And London
COMM

Author Topic: The Tangent Official Thread - 13th Album, "To Follow Polaris" May 10th  (Read 21769 times)

Offline The Letter M

Re: The Tangent Official Thread
« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2017, 09:43:31 AM »
Interestingly, the Burning Shed preoder page for TSROFM (new abbreviation time!) makes no mention of Basildonxit, listing just 5 tracks, but they're substantial ones...

1. Two Rope Swings - 6:32
2. Dr Livingstone - 11:58
3. Slow Rust - 22:31
4. Sad Story of Lead and Astatine - 16:00
5. A Few Steps... - 17:31

I thought Basildonxit might be a hidden track, but we've had the video for A Few Steps for a while now, and that song is about 17 minutes (the credits etc take the video to around 20 mins). But still, that's a good 70-minute + album we've got there!

https://burningshed.com/the-tangent_the-slow-rust-of-forgotten-machinery_cd?filter_tag=The%20Tangent

It's there in the CD version of the album. Weird. I'll ask Andy about that.

It looks like it'll be a packed 79:53 long! Makes sense as even Andy said some material that we pre-pre-orderers got in demo form didn't make the album,  so I suspected a full disc. I suppose we may get another companion album in the best future with leftover and bonus material!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2017, 09:48:35 AM »
"CD in digipak with bonus track."

Just saw this in the description!  Whoops...guess I should read more carefully! I had no idea it'd be a bonus track!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2017, 01:02:01 PM »
Even with The Tangent's penchant towards lengthy songs, I wasn't expecting THREE 16-minute-plus songs on one album! Looking forward to it.

Meanwhile, I've been getting back into Le Sacre du Travail lately. I love that album!

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2017, 09:37:23 AM »
Part 1 of a track-by-track discussion of the new Tangent album, covering Two Rope Swings and Dr. Livingstone (I Presume?). Interestingly, the latter is the band's first self-contained instrumental piece. And at nearly 12 minutes, a substantial instrumental at that.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #74 on: June 24, 2017, 05:09:54 PM »
Hard to believe the album will be out in about a month! It feels like yesterday that I just placed my pre-order, but that was 7 months ago... :lol

Part 1 of a track-by-track discussion of the new Tangent album, covering Two Rope Swings and Dr. Livingstone (I Presume?). Interestingly, the latter is the band's first self-contained instrumental piece. And at nearly 12 minutes, a substantial instrumental at that.

Saw this the other day. It's a good watch, I like their insight into the new work, and it gets me more excited for it! I'm anxious to hear Andy's biting political commentary!

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

The album officially drops today, July 21st, and many pre-orders from Andy and co. have already shipped and been delivered to a lucky few, mostly UK and European fans. Those of us in the US will probably have to wait a few days, though he did say they mailed those out earlier this week, so if I am lucky, it'll come this weekend!

Other than one or two listens to initial demos and pre-release singles, I haven't listened to any of the new music much just so the new album can be completely fresh to my ears once I get it, and with a near 80-minutes of new music to digest, I cannot wait to hear what Andy and his band have churned out this time! I'm excited to hear Andy on drums and their new co-vocalist. I really enjoyed having female vocals on their earlier albums, so this should prove to be interesting!

Did anyone else pre-order the album 7 months ago, or am I the only one here? :lol

-Marc.

Offline RoeDent

Hopefully I'll be picking up my copy this morning. As a "prologue" to it, I put A Spark in the Aether on last night. That's an awesome album! Still in my regular rotation over 2 years after its release.

Offline RoeDent

First full spin now, but I had a little listen to some of it earlier, and I have to say, Marie-Eve de Gaultier's vocals really do add an extra shine to proceedings, both alone and in duet with Tillison.

(It's a real shame that there's only two of us holding this thread up at the moment. The Tangent should get more love. Their music is awesome!)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 01:31:13 PM by RoeDent »

Offline The Letter M

First full spin now, but I had a little listen to some of it earlier, and I have to say, Marie-Eve de Gaultier's vocals really do add an extra shine to proceedings, both alone and in duet with Tillison.

(It's a real shame that there's only two of us holding this thread up at the moment. The Tangent should get more love. Their music is awesome!)

Gaultier's vocals are really something else, and I hope she sticks around for another album or two, I say with enthusiastic hope because the Tangent's line-ups are always fluid.

And yeah, I guess we're the only 2 Tangent fans on DTF, which is a real shame. I hold them and BBT in high regard as two of the best, modern British prog bands out there today! They tell their own stories with their own voices but fulfill different roles in the world of prog rock, and satisfy different aural needs for me. And Andy is one of my favorite modern prog writers, up there with Neal Morse, Roine Stolt, Steven Wilson, and Arjen Anthony Lucassen. For me, those five can do no wrong and whenever any of them have new albums coming out, I'm always sure to pre-order or buy on release day (finances willing).

-Marc.

Offline RoeDent

The "Binary choices" section of Slow Rust ("Like/Don't Like...Vote Up/Vote Down..." etc.) reminds me a bit of the rap section of Rush's Roll the Bones. The lowered voice and all.

Offline The Letter M

The "Binary choices" section of Slow Rust ("Like/Don't Like...Vote Up/Vote Down..." etc.) reminds me a bit of the rap section of Rush's Roll the Bones. The lowered voice and all.

Very good point! I was wondering why it sounded familiar, though I think Andy has done that voice/vocal effect before in previous albums, though not having listened to a lot of Tangent leading up to the release of TSROFM, I cannot quickly recall where I've heard him do that before.

After a few hard listens, this album definitely stands up as one of the best. It's hard to believe that Andy and the Tangent have held up such high quality of music through all these years, and they just get better and better. I love Andy's biting cynicism and politcal commentary along with his own brand of humor that fits so well with his music. There's a bit of RUSH in him and their music in that sense, where in, like Neil, Andy takes influence from current world events and applies it to his lyrics, if a bit more literally and less subtly, but does so in a way that is entertaining and pleasing to listen to. I *love* the ending to "A Few Steps Down The Wrong Road"!!!

-Marc.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 10:15:14 AM by The Letter M »

Offline The Letter M

It's been awhile since I, or anyone has posted in this thread, but I wanted to bump it up because I just remembered that the Tangekanic live album is due out sometime this month, from Jonas Reingold's website. I pre-ordered a couple months ago and of course paid for the option to get my name on the cover (I am the resident Tangent super-fan after all :lol ).

In addition to the live album, Andy's releasing a new solo project under the name Kalman Filter, available for pre-pre-order on the Tangent website. It's a mix of composition and improvisation from Andy, along the vein of his prior solo outings "Fog", "Murk" & "Durch". According to the website - "Lovers of early Tangerine Dream (Both Pink and Virgin eras) will find much familiarity here, but there will be forays into ECM Jazz territories as well as more modern DJ style techniques."

Sounds super interesting! I've enjoyed Andy's solo stuff, it's great to just put on and chill out to.

-Marc.

Offline Fritzinger

there will be forays into ECM Jazz territories as well as more modern DJ style techniques."

-Marc.

This sounds very cool indeed. I'll have to check that out. I'm not that big of a Tangent fan, so I won't preorder it.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
I've been listening to Where are they now? alot this past week. Hot damn do I love that song. Down and out in paris is a pretty decent album.

I really love the music that died alone as well.

I just picked up Slow rust and its just ok I guess. Need to listen to it more. I will start investigating the rest of the albums.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 09:18:57 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline RoeDent

I'd definitely recommend A Spark in the Aether then. It's something of a sequel to The Music That Died Alone, made 12 years later. In the main, it's a fun album, with witty digs at the likes of ELP (Codpieces and Capes), Pink Floyd (Aftereugene), and the US television industry (The Celluloid Road).

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
I ended buying A spark in the Aether last nite. Only $4.99 on amazon so I was like "sold". It pretty solid from what I've heard so far.

Comm was only $3.99 so I got that too and I really like what I hear so far. The tangent reminds me of king crimson a little in that Andy Tillison is the robert fripp and its always a rotating line up, which is pretty cool. The band always has a new sound.

Offline RoeDent

I certainly hear a King Crimson influence, especially with Theo Travis on flute and saxophones. I can also hear Yes, especially on tracks like GPS Culture. (From A Place in the Queue, yet another Tangent album I recommend, as if you haven't got enough already! :tup)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
A place in the queue is definitely next on the list. Sadly its not on Amazon digital or itunes anymore, so I have to order a physical copy. Soon though.

Offline The Letter M

ASITA is definitely a great album, and I feel like it feels more upbeat than the two albums surrounding it, which I feel are a bit more dense and thus, possibly harder to get into right away, but that's part of the charm of Andy's music and The Tangent in general. His music seems to go in waves like that.

APITQ was one of my all-time favorite albums when it came out, and I still think it ranks up there. The opening and closing epics are some of my favorite songs of that length, and showcase just how powerful Andy's writing was, even after the departure of Roine Stolt. I think having Jonas Reingold stay with the band for nearly it's whole life so far has been one of the best things about The Tangent -  he is their Chris Squire, if you may. That isn't to say Jonathan Barrett's work on DAOIPAL or COMM isn't good, but Jonas' signature bass playing helped define the Tangent sound in it's first few albums.

If you find yourself listening to the first two albums, you'll definitely hear more of the Crimson, and even Van der Graaf Generator influence in there, especially with VdGG's own David Jackson playing sax and flute on the debut album TMTDA. He was replaced by the aforementioned Theo Travis on their sophomore release TWTWDT, and his playing, alongside Jonas, also helped define the Tangent sound.

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

Tangent fans here should be happy to know that the new live album of Tangent and Karmakanic members is now out, recorded last October in New Jersey, this 77 minute disc offers 3 songs from each band, and a new track titled "Sanctuary In Music", dedicated to the victims of concert attacks in recent years, complete with a solemn 30 seconds of silence in the middle of the song.

Did any other Tangent fans here pre-order this album, or was I the only one? :lol

-Marc.

Offline RoeDent

Funny this thread should show up again while I'm listening to A Spark in the Aether. Can't believe it's been 3 years since this came out!

Offline The Letter M

Funny this thread should show up again while I'm listening to A Spark in the Aether. Can't believe it's been 3 years since this came out!

Wow, three years already? What's wilder is that Not As Good As The Book is a decade old this year, and their debut The Music That Died Alone is celebrating 15 years this year!!!

-Marc.

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
Tangent fans here should be happy to know that the new live album of Tangent and Karmakanic members is now out, recorded last October in New Jersey, this 77 minute disc offers 3 songs from each band, and a new track titled "Sanctuary In Music", dedicated to the victims of concert attacks in recent years, complete with a solemn 30 seconds of silence in the middle of the song.

Did any other Tangent fans here pre-order this album, or was I the only one? :lol

-Marc.

I saw them live on this tour and will get the album for sure.
Love the title, btw!  :hat
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline RoeDent

https://www.loudersound.com/news/the-tangent-announce-brand-new-studio-album

New studio album Proxy coming November 16th! Merely 16 months after their last album.

Offline The Letter M

https://www.loudersound.com/news/the-tangent-announce-brand-new-studio-album

New studio album Proxy coming November 16th! Merely 16 months after their last album.

Has it only been 16 months?! That's nut...

Anyways, thanks for bumping this. I forgot to update after the excitement of the new this morning when I woke up! I, of course, pre-ordered the Mighty Mega fan package, as I typically do. Cannot wait to hear this one!

-Marc.

Offline RoeDent

Re: The Tangent Official Thread - 10th Studio Album PROXY, out November 16th!
« Reply #95 on: September 05, 2018, 03:32:43 AM »
Burning Shed pre-order is up, and as is often the case with Burning Shed, they reveal the song lengths to us, so:

1. Proxy (16:07)
2. The Melting Andalusian Skies (8:51)
3. A Case Of Misplaced Optimism (6:13)
4. The Adulthood Lie (16:06)
5. Supper's Off (9:54)

Bonus Track:

6. Excerpt From 'Exo-Oceans' (10:25)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #96 on: September 05, 2018, 04:39:04 PM »
Without the Kalman filter except, the album is 57:11 long, which is their shortest since their debut 15 years ago!

What's more, the vinyl leaves out the newly revamped "Supper's Off" (previously released in demo form on the limited LSDT-companion album L'Étagčre Du Travail, released in 2013). The original was 8:17 long, so it looks like the new version is beefed up a little bit.

LP

A
1. Proxy (16:07)
2. The Melting Andalusian Skies (8:51)

B
1. A Case Of Misplaced Optimism (6:13)
2. The Adulthood Lie (16:06)

Ah well... either way, looking forward to these new songs!

-Marc.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 07:17:37 PM by The Letter M »

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #97 on: September 06, 2018, 02:15:24 AM »
Looking forward to this release! Does anyone know who is going to play drums on this one? Andy played drums himself on the last one and he did a good job, but I would rather like to hear a drummer that doesn't just to the job, but really blows my mind, like Zoltan Csörsz, NDV, Marco Minnemann.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #98 on: September 06, 2018, 09:14:37 AM »
Looking forward to this release! Does anyone know who is going to play drums on this one? Andy played drums himself on the last one and he did a good job, but I would rather like to hear a drummer that doesn't just to the job, but really blows my mind, like Zoltan Csörsz, NDV, Marco Minnemann.

Looks like the drummer will be Steve Roberts (ex Magenta, Godsticks). Never heard his work before, but I'm anticipating a suitable performance!

-Marc.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: October 02, 2018, 09:31:13 AM »
Anyone here wants to interview Andy Tilson?
If so please send me a PM and check The available spots below

I got this message this morning:

Good morning Jorge,

Andy Tilison is available for phone and email interviews. See first available times below, but feel free to ask for different ones in case this does´t suite you.
I am looking forward to your replies. Thank you so much for your time.

Cheers,
Iván

THE TANGENT phoner slots

Tuesday October 02nd 
18:30 CET -
19:00 CET -
19:30 CET -
20:00 CET -
20:30 CET -

Friday October 05th   

Tuesday October 09th 

Wednesday October 10th
21:00 CET -

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #100 on: October 08, 2018, 11:58:42 AM »
As it hasn't been posted here yet, the first full-song preview of Proxy was released last week: A Case of Misplaced Optimism.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #101 on: October 08, 2018, 12:49:22 PM »
Solid tangent. me like

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #102 on: October 08, 2018, 02:44:30 PM »
Solid tangent. me like

Exactly what I thought. A return to the signature jazzy, funky Tangent sound.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #103 on: October 13, 2018, 08:11:57 PM »
Solid tangent. me like

Exactly what I thought. A return to the signature jazzy, funky Tangent sound.

Agreed. I think this album will be a good mix of what the Tangent has been known for over the course of the last 15 years, which is a lot considering how prolific the band has been, with nearly a release every year since their first album!

As a Tangent mega-fan, I am pretty excited to hear where Andy takes the band next, and I like what I've heard so far in the Super-Duper-Mega-Fan-Exclusive-Dropbox that I have access to, with some clips of the album, and a sneak peek at some demo versions of the songs on the album!

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

Re: The Tangent Official Thread - 10th Studio Album PROXY - NOW OUT!!!
« Reply #104 on: November 16, 2018, 09:56:42 AM »
Happy release day! Proxy is now available, though until today, I've heard most of the album being one of Andy's Mega-fan pre-orderers. Gotta say, they knocked this one out of the park again! Instantly love this album, though I will be spinning for days and weeks to come!

-Marc.