Poll

Pick your Top 3 Tangent Studio albums!

The Music That Died Alone
The World That We Drive Through
A Place In The Queue
Not As Good As The Book
Down And Out In Paris And London
COMM

Author Topic: The Tangent Official Thread - 13th Album, "To Follow Polaris" May 10th  (Read 21760 times)

Offline The Letter M

Re: The Tangent Official Thread
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2013, 12:38:34 PM »

Also - looking forward to receiving this album and it's companion album!
-Marc.

What???

Yeah, it's a companion to LSDT and a semi-sequel to A Place On The Shelf in terms of being demos by Andy of songs meant for Tangent albums. It's titled L'Étagere du Travail, "a bizzarre transliteration of "The Work Shelf". Forming part two not only of "Le Sacre" but also of "A Place On The Shelf", this album will feature almost an hour of completely new material in high quality demo format." It's an exclusive to the Tangent's website.

In agreement with INSIDEOUT - this album will be released shortly AFTER Le Sacre. Customers wanting BOTH packages can pre-order both now but should be aware that the companion disk will arrive separately within the following four weeks.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 12:47:27 PM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline darkshade

« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2013, 11:44:44 AM »
Oh, I haven't checked out their live albums. I'm very cautious when it comes to live albums by prog bands. I always need to know why it worth having. Are there differences from studio versions? Improvisations/jams?

The news of Jonas rejoining and the new album has gotten me pumped and I've been slowly getting back into all the big modern prog bands like The Tangent, TFK, DT, Kaipa, SB, Transatlantic, Moon Safari, etc...

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2013, 09:13:14 PM »
So I have been listening to LSDT since Sunday evening, and I have to say - it's a worthy successor to COMM, and a musically-spiritual sibling to Not As Good As The Book, especially with 2/3rds of the same band performing, with the wonderful additions of David Langdon and Gavin Harrison!

This is their first full-on concept album, using ideas and themes that they've touched on before about the ordinary man's ordinary and common work day. A lot of The Tangent's lyrics have been about the mundane mediocrity of life, but this time, the whole album encompasses this thought process, by going over a work day, from sun-up to sun-down. It's an interesting idea, and while not entirely now, it's done brilliantly here.

The 5-movement album features 2 epics of the side-length variety, a short opening Overture, a medium-sized epic to close, and a short instrumental prior to it. It's got the same variety and quirkiness you'd come to expect from Andy and company, but with new and returning members, there's an interesting freshness about this album while being a great follow-up to COMM and their previous releases.

HIGHLY recommend this for anyone who is a fan of The Tangent, or even just curious as to what the Jonas Reingold/Gavin Harrison rhythm section would sound like, or hearing David Langdon's vocals on another wonderful album.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2013, 09:16:50 PM »
I ordered it on Sunday. I was holding off on buying it because I figured I'd get it from Amazon when it was released, but the US release isn't for a month. Ordered it from their website, so hopefully it'll arrive from within the next week or two. Can't wait to hear it!!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2013, 09:51:29 PM »
Listened to the new album for the first time today. As with all Tangent albums it's going to take a few listens, especially with two big epics starting things off.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2013, 04:23:15 PM »
Got my copy in the mail today! I've listened it twice, and so far I like it but it's going to need a few more listens to sink in. Afternoon Malaise is the standout track for me so far, and Evening TV is great as well. Morning Journey & The Arrival didn't really do much for me, but I think it's going to grow on me after a while.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2013, 02:48:52 PM »
From Andy Tillison:
As promised, here's a heads up on our plans for live work in 2014

We're very happy to announce that the Tangent WILL perform live with Karmakanic in 2014 and that the main focus of the Tangent gigs WILL be "Le Sacre Du Travail"

The hybrid group of SIX musicians will play two sets at each show, representing the music of each band. The line up will be the same for both groups and here is that line up:

Andy Tillison - Keyboards (both bands) and Lead Vocal (The Tangent)

Jonas Reingold - Bass Guitar/backing vocals (Both Bands)

Lalle Larsson - keyboards (both bands)

Morgan Ågren - Drums (both bands)

Luke Machin - Guitar and backing vocals (both bands)

Göran Edman - Lead Vocals (Karmakanic) Backing Vocals (The Tangent)

From the Tangent's point of view, this will see a return to the 2 keyboards player lineup from the band's early years as the material from "Le Sacre" will require this increase.

The UK show at The CELEBR8.3 Festival is on Saturday 31 May 2014 with Karmakanic headlining the afternoon session and The Tangent finishing off the evening after an as yet unspecified fabulous artist! Not only this but LUKE MACHIN will play a THIRD performance on the second day of the festival (Sunday June 1) with his band Maschine! It's shaping up to be a terrific event. I'm sure Geoff Banks will have more to tell us soon.

The gig at CELEBR8.3 will be at the end of a short European tour by The Tangent and Karmakanic (Not, sadly, Maschine) which is expected to commence in Scandanavia. Dates will be announced shortly. It's likely that one of the shows will be recorded and filmed!

BOOKING INFORMATION and GUESTS and many more details to follow of course!
At present www.thetangent.org is probably most up to date on this complete with some bio of the musicians involved

I doubt this will come to America, but it's great news that they may film one of the shows!

Also, it's nice to see Luke Machin back in the band as he's an incredible guitarist.  :metal

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2014, 10:03:14 PM »
As a rabid Tangent fan, I have to update this thread with news of the newly redesigned website, as well as the announcement of a new album!

https://www.thetangent.org/

WELCOME

... and apologies for the long wait for updates to the site. Despite a number of personal family related problems, work has been continuing apace on the music itself and the new album by The Tangent is now in production in Stockholm, Lund, Otley and Brighton. Special "Pre-Pre Orders" are due to be available soon and of course for those people who decide to delve into that there'll be music to hear immediately, and the opportunity to follow the development of the album. Not only that, but there's a totally NEW Tillison solo project (not ambient) due later this year

"A SPARK IN THE AETHER"...

Will be the Eighth official studio release by the band now in its twelfth year of existence.

Andy Tillison: "This is an album that seeks to return to the core of what The Tangent means to me... after our big orchestral opus that we delivered in "Le Sacre Du Travail" we're, to an extent, reining in the instrumentation to the 5 piece electric Prog Rock band and focussing a little more on that all-important second word of the genre name 'Rock'. At least (grins with less than average teeth) for the first half!"

Ian Oakley, long term friend of the band and former manager: " "This is my favourite Tangent album in years. Full of thoughtful and amusing lyrics, singalong melodies, uplifting choruses, great guitar and synth leads (and just wait till you hear the brass!) Real "Prog & Roll""

A.S.I.T.E. is not without its ambitious pieces though. The one "long" track America On TV which occupies what once would have been "side two", is a nostalgic, wistful and humorous journey across the USA from coast to coast, using famous movies and TV programmes as the landmarks along the way. The group does expand into larger intrumentation here, this time into the world of brass sections which are used to evoke the atmospheres of shows and films like Kojak, Ironside, Dirty Harry, Shaft, Easy Rider, Thelma & Louise, Breaking Bad, Pulp Fiction, and more.

Dirty Harry. made in the same year as "Fragile" by Yes

The album, overall, has a somewhat familiar theme....

"I think there's an element of it being "The Music That Died Alone 2" smiles Andy. "A lot of the subject matter in the lyrics to the first few songs is revisiting the state of Progressive Rock 12 years after the original album was made. That's obviously been a big big change. There's no apparent sign of the music being dead at all... but I still feel we have dangers and that we're not out of the woods yet. We all have a part to play in the development of this genre and becoming stilted and over safe is not the way to play this game. We need to support the younger guys as much as possible."

The Musicians lined up for the project are:

Andy Tillison Diskdrive: Keyboards & Vocals

Luke Machin: Guitar

Jonas Reingold: Bass Guitar

Theo Travis: Saxes & Flutes

Morgan Agren: Drums

It's likely that there will be a couple of nice guest appearances on the album too, more info as and when!

The album is due for release in the first quarter of 2015

Sounds like it'll be another amazing album from Andy and his recent touring band! Cannot wait to pre-order this and anxiously await it's arrival next year!

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2014, 12:41:12 PM »
https://po90.com/otter/shop.html

Pre-orders are up for the new album, due out early next year, as well as Andy's next solo venture!

I pre-ordered both in the MEGAFAN package, of course. Are there still any Tangent fans left on this board? I'm surprised this band doesn't have more fans here.

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2014, 02:18:43 PM »
Andy has posted a preview track from his upcoming album.

"Capes And Codpieces" from the forthcoming album A Spark In The Aether (The Music That Tried Again).

Ed Unitsky has also returned to do all the album art.

The formerly titled "America On TV" is now called "The Celluloid Road". When I asked Andy on FB what the Track List might look like, he kindly responded with it! What a guy!

1. A Spark In the Aether
2. Codpieces And Capes
3. Clearing The Attic
4. The Celluloid Road
5. A Spark In The Aether (Part 2)
SPECIAL editions will include "AfterEugene" as an extended version of Clearing the Attic

Looking forward to this epic journey when it comes out in a couple months!

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2015, 12:47:04 PM »
Well, seems like I'm the only huge Tangent fan here at DTF, and that's fine by me. I love Andy and his work with The Tangent, and they've just released a fine album. Quite a different kind of album from Le Sacre Du Travail, it's very upbeat and funky, similar to early-Tangent, but fresh and new.

I've had the (digital) album for a few days now (since last Saturday) and it's grown on me a lot. There's a LOT to digest in its hour-long stretch, but it's great fun in only the cynical-kind-of-way that Andy writes.

-Marc.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2015, 02:49:10 PM »
You're not alone, was my show's featured album just yesterday. :)

I've only gotten one full listen in thus far, but my initial reactions align with yours.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2015, 03:26:53 PM »
You're not alone, was my show's featured album just yesterday. :)

I've only gotten one full listen in thus far, but my initial reactions align with yours.

:tup

I spun the album on my phone a couple of days ago whilst doing laundry at the coin-op and with headphones in, rather than a casual soft-listen at my desk at work, everything really stuck out for me. There's a lot to absorb on Andy's Tangent albums and this is no different. I like the over-all feel of the album and I'm sure it'll become a fast favorite for the year, especially in a year full of great albums (already! and it's only April!).

Definitely another winner with me, and I'm not saying that just because I'm a rabid Tangent fanboy. Andy does prog about prog like no one else, and I love his lyrics and music, and the Pink Floyd nod on the album is pretty intense, too. "Careful with that sax"  :lol

-Marc.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2015, 05:33:17 PM »
You described it well as prog about prog, but at the same time it can be a chore to listen to at times. Comparables like The Flower Kings just seem to have a more welcoming sound. With The Tangent it takes a lot more to get through it, but at the end of the day I certainly don't prefer it to a band like The Flower Kings. So while I enjoy them I've never been an overly huge fan. That said it's grabbed me enough that I own every album, and my favorite remains A Place in the Queue.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2015, 06:40:33 PM »
The Tangent have diverges from the TFK-esque sound of prog, and I'm glad that Andy and company have found their own sound apart from being born from a core of TFK band members on guitar, bass and drums, even as Jonas has come and gone with the band a couple of times already.

I remember when I first got into them, I did find it a bit hard to get into Andy's vocals, and the first two albums with Roine got a lot more spins than anything else at the time (between APITQ and NAGATB), but once Queue clicked with me, it grew to be a favorite. I really like COMM, too, as well as the last two. Down And Out In Paris Or London is pretty good, but I don't spin it nearly as much as the first three or the last three - it and NAGATB are my least listened, but the epics on those two are pretty stellar.

If there's anything I've come to love, it's the epics on Tangent albums, and there's always at least one!

-Marc.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2015, 07:11:55 PM »
I have a love love/hate relationship with The Tangent.

I got the music that died alone way back in 2003 and really enjoyed it. Everything after that was hit or miss.

At this point its a little bit too proggy for my tastes.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2015, 09:55:55 AM »
So there is a Tangent thread here.

I bought Le Sacre du Travail last year and really enjoyed it. They make prog about modern life and times. And the "Steve Wright in the Afternoon" section is about something so instinctively British, it couldn't possibly be done by anyone else.

I heard the title track A Spark in the Aether when it was first released. That is such a catchy keyboard riff, isn't it?! A real stuck-in-your-head riff. I've ordered the album today, so I'll look forward to that getting here next week.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2015, 11:35:25 AM »
So there is a Tangent thread here.

LOL Yes, yes there is, and by yours truly, the resident Tangent buff. Been a fan since APITQ's release and been ahead of the albums ever since then, usually pre-ordering EVERYTHING right from Andy himself. If anyone here owns the special editions with fans' names in them (like DAOIPAL, LSDT and now ASITA), you'll see "Marc Fernandez" in there - that'd be me! And if you're on the Tangent Facebook group, you'll probably have seen me there too.

I bought Le Sacre du Travail last year and really enjoyed it. They make prog about modern life and times. And the "Steve Wright in the Afternoon" section is about something so instinctively British, it couldn't possibly be done by anyone else.

LSDT is one of my favorite modern concept albums, and yes, it is VERY British. As an American, there's a lot I don't QUITE get about Andy's lyrics, but I can enjoy the intent and the feeling behind them.

I heard the title track A Spark in the Aether when it was first released. That is such a catchy keyboard riff, isn't it?! A real stuck-in-your-head riff. I've ordered the album today, so I'll look forward to that getting here next week.

Great! I cannot wait to hear your thoughts on the whole album once you get it! :tup

-Marc.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2015, 11:49:40 AM »
Just finished giving it a spin.  Enjoyed it... but there's a lot going on here.  Tangent is one of those (many) bands that I enjoy when I listen to it, but can't say I feel any huge desire to go seek them out.  There's lots of prog music I'd take over this, but that's not to say this wasn't good or enjoyable.  It (they) was both
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2015, 09:30:40 AM »
Just coming to the end of my first full playthrough of A Spark in the Aether. I love it! Very jazzy at times, especially Clearing the Attic and Part 2 of the title track. The Celluloid Road will surely make for great driving music. Great stuff!  :metal

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2016, 12:15:06 AM »
Hey guys, your resident Tangent/Andy Tillison super-fan here, just giving you folks a heads up that Andy's newest solo album, (Machte es) DURCH is now shipping to those of us who pre-ordered it. I think if you order it now, new orders might go out soon.

I'm still in the middle of spinning it in my car during my commutes, but I got through the first two pieces today after getting it in the mail, and it's definitely more of Andy's same, though the compositions seem a bit livelier than I remember on his more psychedelic and chill albums, FOG and MURK. He's also got some Theo Travis on flute in one piece, which is a nice addition.

Andy has also spoken of work beginning on a new Tangent album, at least that's what I recall from a recent Facebook post where he details his recent recovery from sickness, as well as talking about DURCH and Karmakanic (I'm pretty sure he's on the new album). So it's nice to hear that he's doing well and that more Tangent music will be on its way, hopefully next year.

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2017, 09:25:30 PM »
Wow, been six months since the last post, and by me no less... well, Andy has updated Tangent fans on Facebook that his next album, titled The Slow Rust Of Forgotten Machinery (gotta love those long album titles), has been green lit and is set to be released by InsideOut / Sony sometime in July this year!

I finally got around to supporting Andy with paying for a pre-pre-order (as I have done for the last 4 or 5 albums), and I've been listening to an HOUR or so of album demos that he's releasing to those super-fans who haven pledged with a pre-pre-order, and I've got to say, even after 8 studio albums over the last 14 years, he's still writing excitingly fresh music. There's a lot of new-to-Tangent styles and sounds among these demos, and some great keyboard and guitar work, which will come to better life with Luke Machin. As usual, Jonas Reingold is playing bass guitar, and joining them will be Luke's bandmate in Maschine, Marie Eve De Gaultier.

Here's a preview Andy released last month in case anyone didn't see it!
https://youtu.be/Vy0CXBWqXMA

-Marc.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2017, 01:53:30 PM »
Hooray! Thanks for resurrecting this thread!

I bought A Place in the Queue recently, and wow! Incredible album! I love the lyrics, with plenty of references to life in modern Britain that will bring a smile to those in the know. And it's generously filled too. The title track is like a modern twist on King Crimson with its prominent use of saxophone.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2017, 02:53:03 PM »
Hooray! Thanks for resurrecting this thread!

I bought A Place in the Queue recently, and wow! Incredible album! I love the lyrics, with plenty of references to life in modern Britain that will bring a smile to those in the know. And it's generously filled too. The title track is like a modern twist on King Crimson with its prominent use of saxophone.

No problem. I seem to be the only huge fan of them on this forum. Then again, I've been a huge supporter of them for nearly a decade now. If anyone owns any of the albums from 2009 onward, you'll likely find my name in the booklets. Andy's music is so passionate and charged, I love how he's able to bring it all to life with such a vast array of musicians, English and Swedish, and otherwise, pouring in their talents while still sounding very much like his work/The Tangent. Every album is unique, but special in that they all have their own feel and sound to them, which is constant but changing.

The demos for the new album sound quite different than what I've heard before, but still retain that signature Tillison/Tangent sound in the vein of fast, jazzy prog. I've never delved into the world of Canterbury, or other such 70's jazz-influenced prog, but Andy's influences of them, combined with traditional symphonic prog, really make for some of the best underrated prog rock in the last decade.

Fans of instrumental music will be delighted to hear that the next album will feature longer instrumental sections, if not entirely instrumental songs, and of the demos, most of them were instrumental, and fairly long too, with two songs at 8 and a half minutes, one at 12 minutes, another at 14, and the previously released demo "A Few Steps Down The Wrong Road" clocking in at an epic 17:29. He's still got one or two more pieces to work on (at least one more epic too), so this might shape up to be another fairly long album! Anytime there is a Tangent album coming out, it quickly becomes one of my favorites of the year, so I suspect this one won't be any different.

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2017, 05:57:19 PM »
I liked their first album a lot, but the next couple albums lost me and I've never gone back.  I still love cranking up The Canterbury Sequence or Up-Hill from Here on occasion, however.  :hat

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2017, 08:58:20 PM »
I liked their first album a lot, but the next couple albums lost me and I've never gone back.  I still love cranking up The Canterbury Sequence or Up-Hill from Here on occasion, however.  :hat

Their first two albums are pretty damn good, IMO, especially the first one. The work they did with the Swedish members from TFK was really something else, and the follow-up, A Place In The Queue, is just as great in my eyes. For the longest time, APITQ was my favorite of theirs, but it's harder to pick one now.

Have you tried any since then? I'd highly suggest Le Sacre Du Travail, which has some great musicians playing on it (Gavin Harrison, Jonas Reingold returning, some vocals by BBT's David Longdon, and more), and is a modern work-day concept album, a bit like Days Of Future Passed but with modern British cynicism.

I'd also suggest A Spark In The Aether, which is a sequel-album of sorts to their first album, not in any lyrical sense, but a bit musically. It's hard to say that a band's newest album can stand alongside their classics, but Andy and company managed to do that with ASITA. Oddly enough, the last two Tangent albums I'd say I rank as highly as their first three albums. I only find that their 4th-6th albums have not held up as much for me, though I still spin COMM every now and then.

-Marc.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2017, 04:28:59 AM »
It's funny...I only recently realised that David Longdon sang a bit on Le Sacre du Travail, even though it's clearly listed on the back cover. It's only been since I discovered Big Big Train and have become attuned to Longdon's voice that I notice the passages that he sings on Le Sacre.

I love the narrated passage in the Overture, by Rikard Sjoblom, formerly of Beardfish. Tillison narrated a short introduction to Beardfish's 2012 album The Void, so I assume that this was returning the favour.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2017, 03:12:25 PM »
It's funny...I only recently realised that David Longdon sang a bit on Le Sacre du Travail, even though it's clearly listed on the back cover. It's only been since I discovered Big Big Train and have become attuned to Longdon's voice that I notice the passages that he sings on Le Sacre.
I was the same way, actually. I've been a Tangent fan for over a decade now, but only a BBT fan for the last 4-5 years, so when LSDT came out in 2011, I had no idea who David Longdon really was, or what his other projects were. Perhaps it was his appearance on LSDT that urged me to finally check out that English band with a silly name and stole NDV from Spock's Beard... :lol

I love the narrated passage in the Overture, by Rikard Sjoblom, formerly of Beardfish. Tillison narrated a short introduction to Beardfish's 2012 album The Void, so I assume that this was returning the favour.
Another BBT connection, Rikard is now a full-time member of that band. I remember reading about their trading of narrations between Andy and Rikard, which I thought was a nice touch. Andy has also done some work with BBT.

Honestly, I'd pay a large sum of money for a BBT/Tangent show.

-Marc.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2017, 01:35:15 PM »
A bit in GPS Culture that put a smile on my face was in the line: "We think we've heard that riff before but where in the world?" For many years, that was the slogan of PC World, a computer store with adverts regularly on UK television in the 90s/00s. The jingle was sung exactly the way Tillison sings it in GPS Culture.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2017, 09:32:58 PM »
An update from Andy the other day reveals that the album is DONE and they are in the process of sorting out the details of release and promotion, and that those details will come to light fairly soon. With a targeted July release date, I can expect solid information starting next month in early May, giving us a 2-month lead-in into the album.

I was on a mini-binge of Tangent music over the last couple of weeks, listening to the first three albums in my car, though I kind of have put that on hold as I gear up to listen to the new Big Big Train album coming out this week. I guess I can balance both British bands in my listening...

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2017, 08:44:03 AM »

FROM INSIDEOUT music MAY 9 2017

The Tangent, the progressive rock group led by Andy Tillison, have announced the release of the first new music since 2015. Their new ninth studio album ‘The Slow Rust of Forgotten Machinery’ is set for release on 21st July 2017. The line-up for this album once again features Tillison on keyboards, vocals (and for the first time on a Tangent record – drums), Jonas Reingold on bass, Luke Machin on guitars and vocals, and Theo Travis on sax and flutes plus new member Marie-Eve de Gaultier on keys and vocals. There are also guest appearances from author/playwright and Chumbawamba founder Boff Whalley on vocals, and upcoming DJ/producer Matt Farrow.

Band leader Andy Tillison had this to say: "Roger Waters did prove the ability of Progressive Music to act as a vehicle to communicate ideas about the current world scene. In both Pink Floyd's "The Final Cut" and his "Amused To Death" albums, Waters set a challenge to others in the genre. A challenge which has not been frequently accepted."

The album sees The Tangent in political commentary mode once again - this time often focussing on the horrendous plight of refugees from war torn parts of the world - and the way in which they are treated by the West, and in particular by the tabloid press. The album laments the new trend in building walls and defending borders across the world yet takes time to look at the breakup of friendships and other more personal issues - along with a song about the fate of wildlife in the modern consumer world.

And it's a Progressive Rock Record. Full of intricacies, long developed pieces, challenging arrangements and virtuoso playing from all members. New sounds and styles (the band have brought a DJ on board for some sections) - new voices and techniques (first female vocals in The Tangent since the "Not As Good As The Book" album 10 years ago). A new producer in the form of Luke Machin whose open and deep/clear sound is a major factor of this album, a new drummer in the form of Andy Tillison who decided at long last (after drumming for 30 years) to let his own performances guide the rest of the band rather than adding another musician later. And after 13 years of asking, Jonas finally agreed to play some double bass in a song where Luke also plays some Scat guitar and Andy does a full on drum solo.

"The Slow Rust Of Forgotten Machinery" also features stellar artwork from Marvel / DC Comics artist Mark Buckingham. The sleeve of the album is totally based on the music it contains and was especially created for this project.

The album will be available on limited digipak CD, gatefold 2LP + CD, and digital download, and you can find the full track-listing below:

Two Rope Swings
Doctor Livingstone (I Presume)
Slow Rust
The Sad Story of Lead and Astatine
A Few Steps Down the Wrong Road
Basildonxit

The band will head out on tour in support of the new record, once again joining forces with Sweden’s Karmakanic to present albums by both bands. The full list of dates is as follows:
Aug 26th 2017 – Bierkeller, Reichenbach, DE
Sept 1st 2017 - 2 days of Prog +1 Festival, Veruno, Italy
Sept 9th 2017 - The Boerderij, Zoetermeer
Oct 8th 2017 - SUMMERS END Festival, Chepstow, UK
Oct 21st 2017 – Progtoberfest, Chicago, USA
Oct 22nd 2017 – Shank Hall, Milwaukee WI, USA
Oct 24th 2017 – Token Lounge, Westland MI, USA
Oct 26th 2017 – Roxy & Dukes, Dunellen NJ, USA
Oct 27th 2017 – The Regent Theatre, Arlington MA, USA

Look out for more information in the coming weeks!
The Tangent online:
www.thetangent.org
https://www.facebook.com/groups/alltangentmembers/

INSIDEOUTMUSIC ONLINE:
www.insideoutmusic.com
www.youtube.com/InsideOutMusicTV
www.facebook.com/InsideOutMusic
www.twitter.com/insideouteu
www.myspace.com/insideoutlabel

Visit the new Insideout Shop:
www.insideoutshop.de

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2017, 09:08:47 AM »
Yay! With this and Steven Wilson's album, that's summer sorted! And an exciting day for our music.

Love the cover art...looks quite anime-like.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2017, 04:32:22 PM »
Looks like a cover for a comic book.

Cool news. Will check out when it comes out.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2017, 04:52:43 PM »
Looks like a cover for a comic book.

Cool news. Will check out when it comes out.

Funny you mention that because the artist for the album cover has done artwork for both Marvel and DC Comics before, so even if you didn't know that, it's cool that you picked up on that!

-Marc.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2017, 01:25:01 AM »
Interestingly, the Burning Shed preoder page for TSROFM (new abbreviation time!) makes no mention of Basildonxit, listing just 5 tracks, but they're substantial ones...

1. Two Rope Swings - 6:32
2. Dr Livingstone - 11:58
3. Slow Rust - 22:31
4. Sad Story of Lead and Astatine - 16:00
5. A Few Steps... - 17:31

I thought Basildonxit might be a hidden track, but we've had the video for A Few Steps for a while now, and that song is about 17 minutes (the credits etc take the video to around 20 mins). But still, that's a good 70-minute + album we've got there!