Author Topic: Arizona: 7,5 years in prison for driving in the wrong direction  (Read 4015 times)

Offline JLa

Based upon several Norwegian news articles and a forum post at "somethingawful.com":

John Kristoffer Larsgard (33), originally from Norway, was arrested in Arizona last September after driving in the wrong direction in a one way street. He was caught in a crowd of people and hit in the face by a passerby, and tried to escape the scene in his car, causing minor injuries before being arrested. Since then he has been kept in an isolated cell in Navajo County Jail, awaiting his trial. He was considered one of the most dangerous inmates. In march he was found guilty of six counts of aggravated assault, and faced a sentence of up to 35 years in prison. During his sentencing Tuesday night (Norwegian time, I think) he was kept in handcuffs, his request to have them removed so he could take notes was denied. He was sentenced to seven and a half years in prison.

https://www.nrk.no/nyheter/verden/1.8098661
(All in norwegian.)

Translation of the last part of the first article:

It was on the 24th of september last year the 33-year-old and his mother were driving on Interstate 40 through the Arizona desert. Just before Winslow, a light started flashing. But for the mother, who was driving, something went wrong, and she drove the car right into the central reserve at the exit to Winslow.

The two obtained a rental car, but when they came back to Winslow to pick up their luggage in the wrecked car, the nightmare started. Larsgard drove against the one-way street. It was full of people because of a music festival in town. Many reacted to Larsgard driving in the wrong direction.

It was noisy, and Larsgard received a punch to the face that broke his nose. Then he drove away quickly. The court found that he had tried to hurt people on purpose when he fled. He claims that he tried to get away.

The 29th March he was found guilty of aggravated assault - attempted grievous bodily harm with the use of a deadly weapon - against six Americans.

Norway's honorary consul in Phoenix since 2005, economics professor George Olanders at the State University Of Arizona, calls the case against Larsgard insane.

"The whole thing is a disgrace to the United States. He should get a fine or similar reckless driving.", said Oland.

He is shocked that Larsgard was found guilty.

"There is no evidence, even likelyhood, that Larsgard had tried to hurt or kill someone in Winslow. The case is completely mad. Having been present during part of the trial, I am shocked that he was convicted", said Oland.

...wut?

I wasn't there, but seriously. Wut?

Original forum post @somethingawful:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3481066&pagenumber=1

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
Re: Arizona: 7,5 years in prison for driving in the wrong direction
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 04:01:42 AM »
Horrible case. Made me lose the last respect I had for the US. Not all Americans are like that, but the society as a whole seems to be just cruel. Always obsessed with revenge, even when there is nothing to avenge. Sorry, but my respect is long gone. Also it's ironic how the US try to be the world police, when their police is corrupt or insane (depending on the case).
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 04:33:19 AM by Dellers »
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 06:07:04 AM »
Horrible case. Made me lose the last respect I had for the US. Not all Americans are like that, but the society as a whole seems to be just cruel. Always obsessed with revenge, even when there is nothing to avenge. Sorry, but my respect is long gone. Also it's ironic how the US try to be the world police, when their police is corrupt or insane (depending on the case).

Sadder still that many Americans would agree with you. Including myself.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 08:15:11 AM »
I think I'll reserve comment until I see some real news articles on the event in question.  As of right now, there's nothing except blogs and forum posts.

In a more general sense, as a white American, there are a dozen or so countries that I'd stay out of.  The best way to not get beheaded in Afghanistan is to stay the hell out of Afghanistan.  If I were a foreigner, I can think of several states that I'd stay the hell out of, and Arizona tops the list.  It's a pretty even mix of weird, insane and just plain corrupt. 

In fact, if I were a Scandinavian, I don't think there's any part of America I'd want to visit, honestly. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 09:47:45 AM »
Have to say, yeah, while I would visit any of the states, there's a long laundry list of states I wouldn't live in. In fact, I keep my list the other way around, i.e. cities I could imagine living in. Currently, in order:

- Boston (duh)
- San Fran
- Chicago
- Seattle

Regarding the article, I too reserve judgment until a major newspaper picks it up. It sounds a bit too wild to be true.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 10:36:16 AM »
In fact, if I were a Scandinavian, I don't think there's any part of America I'd want to visit, honestly.

If I lived in Texas, I might think this as well.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 11:40:01 AM »
Have to say, yeah, while I would visit any of the states, there's a long laundry list of states I wouldn't live in. In fact, I keep my list the other way around, i.e. cities I could imagine living in. Currently, in order:

- Boston (duh)
- San Fran
- Chicago
- Seattle

Regarding the article, I too reserve judgment until a major newspaper picks it up. It sounds a bit too wild to be true.

rumborak

:tup

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 11:48:31 AM »

On the contrary, Texans are so freaking courteous that it'd probably one of the places I would recommend (not that there's anything worth visiting here, aside form a few restaurants).  If you're not Mexican and don't do anything to warrant getting arrested, I'd say foreigners are pretty damned safe here.  Your average Texan will be bemused as hell at weird people from non-Texas, but would go out of their way to be hospitable.  That's the one thing we have going for us down here.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 12:09:39 PM »
absolutely this ^^^^

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 12:28:52 PM »

On the contrary, Texans are so freaking courteous that it'd probably one of the places I would recommend (not that there's anything worth visiting here, aside form a few restaurants).  If you're not Mexican and don't do anything to warrant getting arrested, I'd say foreigners are pretty damned safe here.  Your average Texan will be bemused as hell at weird people from non-Texas, but would go out of their way to be hospitable.  That's the one thing we have going for us down here.

I wasn't commenting on the people, I was commenting on the scenery. Unless your rich and want to hit up some awesome strip clubs, I haven't heard of anything worth visiting in the state.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 01:38:08 PM »

I wasn't commenting on the people, I was commenting on the scenery. Unless your rich and want to hit up some awesome strip clubs, I haven't heard of anything worth visiting in the state.
Yeah, that's about right.  However, I've been to plenty of places in this continent, and I'm not sure what I'd recommend to a European who wanted to come see the country.  There are places of genuine beauty over here, but the same can be said of Europe.  There's little culture, and compared to a thousand years of civilization over there, pretty much none.  There's crabby attitudes from most of the citizenry.  There's a chance of getting shot by cops or robbers.  I just don't see where there's much appeal. 

I'd say that America is a wonderful place for Americans.  We seem to have really worked things out nicely for ourselves.  Alas, I think most Americans suck, and their idea of perfection doesn't suit me too well.  I have to assume that to your average Swede, it's even worse.
E.F. Benson

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 03:09:12 PM »
I would definitely vouch for Chicago and Boston, and I hear California can be nice.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 03:42:25 PM »
EB, in my personal opinion North America runs circles around Europe in terms of nature.

rumborak

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 07:18:17 PM »
Hell, Alaska alone is like the size of Europe, and it's pretty much a huge nature reserve.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 08:20:40 PM »
A lot of people say South Dakota is just a big flat square with nothing but grass.  People who say that are so fricking wrong.  There's a ton of beautiful scenery here.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 08:25:57 PM »
Vermont and Upstate New York are beautiful.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2012, 09:54:19 PM »
I live in this state. Yeeeeeehawww!!!!!

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2012, 10:46:50 PM »
While we are all gushing about scenery in the United States, there are some beautiful places out west in Colorado and Utah. Also, upstate NY is really nice as well. Pertaining to the news... I'll believe it when I see something concrete, but if true, it is horrifying.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2012, 10:50:23 PM »
I would definitely vouch for Chicago and Boston, and I hear California can be nice.

Southern California is good, in terms of scenery/places to go. 

Being in a public place here blows, though, because there's a high asshole/moron count, though I imagine that's just an Americans-in-general-thing. 

Go to, like, a national park, though, and you'll have the best day. 

Wouldn't vouch for living here, though, unless you're a wealthy conservative looking for a place to settle down and raise your kids. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2012, 11:55:50 PM »
I visited San Antonio...I *freakin LOVE* that place.   My wife and I dream of moving to the hill country about an hour NW of there....but finding work is an issue with what I do...making a livable wage even more so.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2012, 11:58:27 PM »
we built a house out in Boerne...love that area

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2012, 06:50:53 AM »
Vermont and Upstate New York are beautiful.

Oh yeah, almost forgot about those guys. Especially the mountains by the Van Trappe Family Lodge in Stowe, Vermont. You really see how they came to the idea of "the hills are alive with the sound of music."

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2012, 09:38:27 AM »
See, folks? America really isn't as bad as the internet makes it out to be!

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2012, 09:44:03 AM »
Nope, just the people are.

Offline j

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2012, 09:53:32 AM »

Yeah, that's about right.

Actually the Austin area "hill country" has some really nice scenery.

But I mostly agree, although I do like Texas.

-J

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2012, 09:56:15 AM »

YES, all 300 million of us!

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2012, 10:33:43 AM »
Yes we are.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2012, 10:35:29 AM »

- Boston (duh)
- San Fran
- Chicago
- Seattle

rumborak

You have good taste my man. :tup

I think every country has their good and bad, just like every person has an asshole.

As to the topic, seems like a big WTF to me, and hopefully will be rectified, but as Barto said, I'll hold final judgement till I hear all the details.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2012, 11:40:11 AM »
EDIT: Nevermind, read the article wrong.

rumborak

Offline Odysseus

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2012, 01:58:21 PM »

A fellow cynic!  :tup

Seriously, Britain is no picnic either...  :-\

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2012, 02:11:10 PM »
Outside of London, perhaps? Because when I was there in the city, it was fine, we had no problems.

Offline JLa

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2012, 01:07:56 AM »
This seems like some sort of news agency ..?

https://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2012/04/25/20120425winslow-wrong-turn-prison-norwegian-man.html

After reading the whole thing, I can't help but thinking 7.5 years is waaaay too harsh. A big, juicy fine for reckless driving? Indeed. But 7.5 years in prison for this? No way.

Offline ehra

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2012, 08:23:03 AM »
Yes you are.

Fixed to show what you're really thinking.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2012, 08:43:54 AM »
I can't believe that kid didn't get shot. 
E.F. Benson

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2012, 08:51:40 AM »
Barto, my mom moved to Texas. She has echoed that the people are incredibly hospitable. They know where she works that her family is in Michigan. They take her out and do things. Even so much as "forcing her" to go out when she doesn't feel like it.