Author Topic: "See Something, Say Something" and similar: Useful tool or empowering paranoids?  (Read 1218 times)

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
I've always noticed announcements and posters in the subway system around New York with their "See Something, Say Something" ads which is noble in theory but I can't help but wonder if all this does is encourage more profiling. I understand people call the police for dumb shit all the time but you see posters of bags laying around, shifty looking individuals, and other things with absolutely no backstory and all it seems to do is create a little more paranoia. What really makes me question this is a local radio ad that plays out a short conversation between two guys on a train that have spotted someone that looks suspicious because he a) has been looking around but hasn't looked at anyone, b) is fidgeting in his pocket, and c) is by himself. There's no assumptions, no "well maybe he's just having a bad day and needs to get somewhere", no nothing, they just whip out the phone and call up the police. That's pretty crazy profiling if you ask me especially considering all three of those things, even together, are normal behavior. Now this kind of thing can be good in the right hands but man you know there's a bunch of people who will use this because pretty much everyone is shifty to them.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Total bogus. People leave shit on the metro all the time here in Boston, you would never be able to spot a bomb.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline senecadawg2

Yeah, seems a bit absurd and very unnecessary. I agree that it will lead to more paranoia and profiling. It's not a good idea to encourage people to report 'suspicious' activity based on nothing more than appearance (assuming there is no visible weapon). This just brings out the lunatics who already have some preconceived dislike of a certain race, gender, etc. The radio commercial sounds especially ridiculous.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
I hate those ads so much. Totally unnecessary and useless.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Last summer, I got stopped for two hours in traffic because of that shit. Someone reported a cooler.... A COOLER! One of the things you bring to the beach. It was just sitting in the breakdown lane...2 hours for a bombs quad, for a fucking empty cooler.

Offline senecadawg2

Last summer, I got stopped for two hours in traffic because of that shit. Someone reported a cooler.... A COOLER! One of the things you bring to the beach. It was just sitting in the breakdown lane...2 hours for a bombs quad, for a fucking empty cooler.

Haha, someone left the cooler sitting there, thought they would have a laugh, and reported it.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.