Author Topic: DVD Bonus Features  (Read 5504 times)

Offline robwebster

DVD Bonus Features
« on: April 24, 2012, 07:15:11 AM »
Howdy, sports fans. Since JP's announced the next tour DVD's to be filmed on the upcoming North American leg, it seemed like a timely moment to ask how we all feel about the bonus features we've had thrown at us over the last few years.

Truth be told, I've got an ulterior motive for making this thread. I popped on Riding the Train of Thought the other day, just as something to watch in the background as I tidied away, and I'll level with you, I was glued to the bloody thing. Physically couldn't look away - it was brilliant. I'd just ploughed through the main feature perfectly content to leave it on in the background, but the documentary stopped me in my tracks. Funny, informative, and absolutely gorgeously directed; hands down my favourite extra on any DVD. Getting to see them rehearsing, learning new songs, the jet-lag, the nerves, the excitement... completely makes up for the lack of commentary. Seeing it beats hearing about it. Beautiful stuff.

So I'd been thinking of starting a Riding the Train of Thought Appreciation Society thread, but hey - why stop there? We've had some cracking stuff included on the DVDs in the past, and we've probably all got ideas we'd like to see realised on the next one. What are your favourites?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: DVD Bonus Features
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 07:22:01 AM »
Yep, I'm definitely with you. Budokan had a whole variety of extras. The instrumedley multi-angle was a nice bonus, and I personally loved seeing the gear related stuff from JP and JR, plus the whole documentary.

Score's documentary was awesome too, although I like the variety of lots of little features, rather than solely the general documentary (although for the occasion it was definitely the right choice). But it was well done.

I would love another commentary from the guys, because the WDADRU and Metropolis 2000 ones were informative, and had some very memorable banter. Commentaries have always been a huge selling point for me, whether it's movies or TV boxsets, or whatever.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 07:27:58 AM »
I would love another commentary from the guys, because the WDADRU and Metropolis 2000 ones were informative, and had some very memorable banter. Commentaries have always been a huge selling point for me, whether it's movies or TV boxsets, or whatever.
Totally. I think now would be the perfect time to record a commentary, thanks to one very important Mangini. The perspective of the new guy could be its own fifteen minute feature, would be a hell of a historical document. I seem to remember the first commentaries were about 2004? So this'd be the first (and possibly last!) chance to capture a member's baptism. Unless Metropolis 2000 was released on DVD in 2000?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 07:31:47 AM »
Totally. I think now would be the perfect time to record a commentary, thanks to one very important Mangini. The perspective of the new guy could be its own fifteen minute feature, would be a hell of a historical document. I seem to remember the first commentaries were about 2004? So this'd be the first (and possibly last!) chance to capture a member's baptism. Or was Metropolis 2000 released on DVD that year?

Speaking of MM, they should also throw in his entire audition tape. I don't care if it's a little rough and raw, that's the appeal. First time ever performance of DT with MM, no practice. I think it would be a testament to MM and the band's ability.
And I didn't consider MM. It would be great to hear the dynamic of MM doing commentary with the rest of DT now.

Offline FlamTap

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 11:07:03 AM »
I personally loved the Easter Egg with Eric Disrude and his quest for a dollar from each band member. JLB.. :yarr

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 11:22:09 AM »
Totally. I think now would be the perfect time to record a commentary, thanks to one very important Mangini. The perspective of the new guy could be its own fifteen minute feature, would be a hell of a historical document. I seem to remember the first commentaries were about 2004? So this'd be the first (and possibly last!) chance to capture a member's baptism. Unless Metropolis 2000 was released on DVD in 2000?

Metropolis 2000 was actually released in 2001, I believe, so it did sort of capture that "new member" feeling during the commentary.

Regardless, we absolutely have to get a commentary, I just love the personal touch it gives the show. Plus, hearing the guys talk so naturally between each other is much better than any interview.

"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 11:23:18 AM »
JP did that? When/where and did he say which show would be filmed?
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline robwebster

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 11:26:09 AM »
Here's the link -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgMelewSIOA -- via Tomislav in the other thread!

And I think it's fair to assume it's the two-night stand in Huntingdon. Not a cert, but the most likely guess by far.

Metropolis 2000 was actually released in 2001, I believe, so it did sort of capture that "new member" feeling during the commentary.

Regardless, we absolutely have to get a commentary, I just love the personal touch it gives the show. Plus, hearing the guys talk so naturally between each other is much better than any interview.
Ah! Excellent. I wasn't sure if it was one they recorded in 2004 along with Live in Tokyo and Five Years, seeing as Met. 2000 kinda straddled the VHS/DVD boundary.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 11:29:16 AM »
Damn, I'd LOOOOVE to go to that, but between money and it being in the middle of the week, it would just be tough.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 11:30:44 AM »
As long as we get audio commentaries again, I'm satisfied. Love them.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 11:31:15 AM »
Oh, and to be fair, as much as I'd love to be near another filmed show, if the US gets it it should be West coast. That has always been a strong market for them as well and we were lucky enough to get two DVDs already in NYC.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 11:39:03 AM »
Here's the link -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgMelewSIOA -- via Tomislav in the other thread!

And I think it's fair to assume it's the two-night stand in Huntingdon. Not a cert, but the most likely guess by far.

Ah! Excellent. I wasn't sure if it was one they recorded in 2004 along with Live in Tokyo and Five Years, seeing as Met. 2000 kinda straddled the VHS/DVD boundary.

The other one in 2004 was When Dream and Day Reunite, which surprisingly, many people do not seem to realize has an audio commentary.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline robwebster

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 11:43:34 AM »
I... only forgot about it it 'cos I don't have it, regrettably! I hear that it's got a fantastic commentary, though. Johnny Myung chattering away like there's no tomorrow, apparently. I'd love to hear it one day. Too poor right now, sadly!

Oh, and to be fair, as much as I'd love to be near another filmed show, if the US gets it it should be West coast. That has always been a strong market for them as well and we were lucky enough to get two DVDs already in NYC.
I do very much agree with this, but wonder if there might be a logistical reason that they tend to favour the East Coast for DVDs.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 11:49:31 AM »
The other one in 2004 was When Dream and Day Reunite, which surprisingly, many people do not seem to realize has an audio commentary.

I'd say that's due to the fact that nowhere near as many people would have it, since it's not something you can generally pick up in a store, and the more limited appeal of the music.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 11:52:44 AM »
I... only forgot about it it 'cos I don't have it, regrettably! I hear that it's got a fantastic commentary, though. Johnny Myung chattering away like there's no tomorrow, apparently. I'd love to hear it one day. Too poor right now, sadly!

I do very much agree with this, but wonder if there might be a logistical reason that they tend to favour the East Coast for DVDs.

You absolutely have to get it (someday, of course)! The Metropolis performance at the end is awesome, and the 1989 documentary that MP put together was great!

@BlobVanDam - True, but this is the DreamTheaterForums, where (nearly) everyone is a die hard DT fan.

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2012, 01:28:04 PM »
Does DT reveal that they're filming the show to the crowd or is it obvious that there's a bunch of camera dudes. I'd also say I'd be surprised if DVD isn't being filmed at the double NY shows.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2012, 01:30:28 PM »
Does DT reveal that they're filming the show to the crowd or is it obvious that there's a bunch of camera dudes. I'd also say I'd be surprised if DVD isn't being filmed at the double NY shows.
I think - thiiiiiink - that they have, by law, to put up signs saying "This show is being filmed for a DVD. By entering you hereby consent to use your image" blah blah blah, so they're covered if they cut to you in an audience shot. As far as I'm aware!

So, yeah, you'd know.

(The camera dudes are something of a clue, too, mind.)

Offline lyfeternl

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2012, 01:33:20 PM »
I will happily request 5 hours of bonus feature footage which includes a full documentary of this tour, the making/recordning of ADTOE, and the entire drummer auditions.  :biggrin:

*fingers crossed*
"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 02:57:47 PM »
I'd love to think that at least one extra special song will be played, or at least something special. Discounting Chaos in Motion as it was multi-show (and Live in Tokyo, as nothing special was done), 5 Years in a Livetime contained the covers with other musicians, Metropolis 2000 had the live hypnotherapist and ACOS (although back then, the epics were much more common in sets), WDADRU had the obvious full album performance, LAB had Disappear, and Score had the orchestra.

WDADRU does make me think though, as this is right around the 20th anniversary of I&W. I know they just did it five years ago in full, but not on DVD. Hmmm...

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2012, 03:15:15 PM »
I think now would be the perfect time to record a commentary, thanks to one very important Mangini. The perspective of the new guy could be its own fifteen minute feature, would be a hell of a historical document. I seem to remember the first commentaries were about 2004? So this'd be the first (and possibly last!) chance to capture a member's baptism. Unless Metropolis 2000 was released on DVD in 2000?

Totally agree with you that having a feature about Mangini would be great (how he grew up, how he got involved in music, bands he played in, working at Berklee).

Speaking of MM, they should also throw in his entire audition tape. I don't care if it's a little rough and raw, that's the appeal. First time ever performance of DT with MM, no practice. I think it would be a testament to MM and the band's ability.

Amen! I'd love to hear the improv jam they did with him, as well as the songs that they wrote specifically for the auditions, since we barely got to hear much of that.

It makes the most sense, tho it would be nice to seem them film it in another city where they have a significant audience since both LSFNY and Score were already done there. LA comes to mind (and not just because I'll be at the show) but maybe Chicago, Toronto or another large city. In any case, just having another live release will be great, and it certainly makes the most sense that they would film in NY since they're doing back-to-back shows there. They can do the A and B setlists and combine them to produce an "Evening With" length release.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline olliemedsy

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2012, 07:37:42 PM »
I want a chilli eating competition video.

Offline comment

• Custom Title
  • What’s on your mind Facebook?
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2012, 10:58:48 PM »

:tup :tup :tup  Definitely commentary with MM!

Behind the scenes tour highlights -  Antics and outtakes, hopefully a fun camaraderie is developing.  It would be cool to see the band have some authentic traditions starting, a silly back story that becomes an inside joke or footage of them doing something fun together.

MM expose' -  Audition footage, bio, etc.

Signature

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2012, 12:44:28 PM »
How about an entire concert length commentary with JM by himself.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline robwebster

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2012, 12:46:54 PM »
They've had one on every DVD so far, don't see why they'd stop now.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2012, 12:52:57 PM »
I'd like a commentary, mostly because they haven't done that in a while. As for other features, I'm not sure. They could throw in some songs from MM's audition, that would be fun, but I don't know if that's likely to happen.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2012, 12:57:18 PM »

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2012, 01:00:42 PM »

Actually, JM has a commentary track on all of my DVDs. I have a dedicated button on my remote for it. I think it stands for Myung Ultimate Television Experience.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2012, 01:05:43 PM »

Actually, JM has a commentary track on all of my DVDs. I have a dedicated button on my remote for it. I think it stands for Myung Ultimate Television Experience.

Wait, are you guys pulling my leg?
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2012, 01:10:43 PM »
Myung has done a commentary track on every DVD. In fact youre listening to it right now.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2012, 01:15:52 PM »

:lol :clap:

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2012, 01:17:55 PM »

I saw this and was immediately considering my whitty retort, only to find everyone already hit on all my basic premises. :lol