Author Topic: Ahh, the famous "liberal" media...  (Read 10318 times)

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
Re: Ahh, the famous "liberal" media...
« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2012, 07:29:33 PM »
For the record I didn't actually report you. Sorry PLM.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2012, 07:41:47 PM »
On the other hand, he also wants to go back to the gold standard... AND he's an old kook.
Please, don't make it obvious. You are blatantly showing your ignorance. You only heard "legalizing some stuff her der errr!" and then something about going back to the Gold standard. You scratched something on the first part, yet joined the bandwagon of ignorance on the second part. AND lowered yourself to Kirk's level on the third part.

I know you won't be around here too much for a few days, but when you get back...

Don't make it obvious, you are no serious economic historian. If you were, you may be more aware of the general consensus that going back to the gold standard was one of the main causes of the great depression. With such massive amounts of cash money circulating, introducing the gold standard would most likely lead to pretty serious deflation. Once the market begins to descend into a deflationary spiral, production decreases. Which in turn leads to lower wages and demand, which leads to further decreases in price.

The gold standard works the same way trickle-down economic theory works. Wait, it doesn't.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2012, 07:44:56 PM »
I fit in the stocking up on guns and ammo category.  :biggrin:

Prices have been going up like crazy, so better to save money now on lead and brass especially.

PEW PEW PEW

No sense in keeping this thread on track at this point...

You could also try to reduce your economic dependence, and your need to buy so many things.

Offline PraXis

« Reply #73 on: April 26, 2012, 07:20:19 AM »
Why? I make good money, and I like to spend it. Plus, it saves more jobs. ;)

As for the gold standard issue above, RP is not for a gold standard. He's for a standard set by international markets and competing currencies, be it something like oil or agricultural. There's too many dollars printed out there to have a gold standard again. From an individual investors standpoint, buying physical gold and silver has been a genius idea on my end. The key is buying before the hype (2004) and now I'm at a 400% return. Silver is another story. :)

Meanwhile, the dollar has fallen 95% since the federal reserve came to screw us in 1913.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2012, 07:30:49 AM »
Why? I make good money, and I like to spend it. Plus, it saves more jobs. ;)

As for the gold standard issue above, RP is not for a gold standard. He's for a standard set by international markets and competing currencies, be it something like oil or agricultural. There's too many dollars printed out there to have a gold standard again. From an individual investors standpoint, buying physical gold and silver has been a genius idea on my end. The key is buying before the hype (2004) and now I'm at a 400% return. Silver is another story. :)

Meanwhile, the dollar has fallen 95% since the federal reserve came to screw us in 1913.

Oh, even better.

Offline PraXis

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #76 on: April 26, 2012, 08:45:19 AM »
Earth to Ron Paul: In this age of global banking, you can keep your bank account in whatever currency you like. There are 182 to choose from, all with their respective money policy. And if you don't like governments, then keep your money in Bitcoin.

Ron Paul also doesn't seem to understand economics all that well. How many retailers do you think would start accepting non-US dollars? Zero. It would only add conversion costs to their bills. Currencies are natural monopolies.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #77 on: April 26, 2012, 08:49:03 AM »
Hmm...perhaps PraXis has actually been Ron Paul all along, hoping to recruit an army of supporters here on DTF. It all suddenly makes sense!  :justjen

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #78 on: April 26, 2012, 09:22:48 AM »

Yet, our consumer purchasing power has massively increased since 1913. Our economy is undoubtedly much better, and my personal pocketbook is bigger than it would have been in 1912. I can do more, eat more, own more, and am wealthier than most people back then, and in today's age, I'm very much lower class.

Ron Paul also doesn't seem to understand economics all that well. How many retailers do you think would start accepting non-US dollars? Zero. It would only add conversion costs to their bills. Currencies are natural monopolies.

It's one area where Ron Paul doesn't seem to even know his history. 1780's saw many currencies in the US, non-fiat - and our economy was horrible. One of the main reasons the Convention of 1787 was called was because of the monetary crisis. Then, the Federal Government took over, bought up currencies, and made the whle thing much more uniform, and voila!, our economy improved (along with coherent foriegn policy to allow for trading).

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #79 on: April 26, 2012, 09:28:27 AM »
Or just look to Europe. There we naturally had competing currencies, the Deutsche Mark, the Franc, the Pound, the Lira etc. etc.
And there was a very specific reason why the Euro was introduced. Not because of some New World Order ambitions of greedy politicians. Rather, simply because competing currencies cost everybody a LOT of money. Companies are forced to foresee the future in terms of currency fluctuations, and inevitably fail and lose money in the process, or become overly cautious and thus slow down the economy.

It is stunning how simple this is really, and how yet it seems to escape the Paulites.

rumborak

Offline PraXis

« Reply #80 on: April 26, 2012, 11:05:03 AM »
The Euro is failing! It was a huge mistake!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #81 on: April 26, 2012, 11:32:52 AM »
Jeez Louise, your opinions are a bit ... simplistic ... aren't they?

The Euro's problem isn't the idea of creating a unified currency. It's problem is that upon its creation not enough political will was there to create the fiscal straight-jackets to make it work. The straight-jackets are being put in now, but we will see whether it was too late.
Despite its current ailings, the Euro has created massive wealth in the Eurozone, and buffered many external shocks that otherwise would have killed the smaller countries.

rumborak

Offline PraXis

« Reply #82 on: April 26, 2012, 12:46:49 PM »
The EU is failing because of the PIIGS.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #83 on: April 26, 2012, 01:01:32 PM »

Do I want to know what this means?

Offline PraXis

« Reply #84 on: April 26, 2012, 01:02:28 PM »
Portugal, Ireland, Italy, Greece, Spain

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #85 on: April 26, 2012, 01:21:21 PM »

I honestly have to bite my lip when I read such "insightful" posts.

rumborak

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #86 on: April 26, 2012, 01:25:44 PM »
Jeez Louise, your opinions are a bit ... simplistic ... aren't they?

The Euro's problem isn't the idea of creating a unified currency. It's problem is that upon its creation not enough political will was there to create the fiscal straight-jackets to make it work. The straight-jackets are being put in now, but we will see whether it was too late.
Despite its current ailings, the Euro has created massive wealth in the Eurozone, and buffered many external shocks that otherwise would have killed the smaller countries.

rumborak

Rumborak, how do you feel the differences in culture affect the single currency.  Is Germany as generous to its people as, say, France or Sweden.  I agree that a single currency is best for all, but I suspect the bad implementation was due mainly to how the nation (and their politicians) view the relationship between state and people.

We would have the same messy problem if, for example, the US was in the similar multi-currency situation and senators from California and Texas, for example, battled for the single currency and the socio-economic policies with it.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #87 on: April 26, 2012, 01:53:50 PM »
Rumborak, how do you feel the differences in culture affect the single currency.  Is Germany as generous to its people as, say, France or Sweden.  I agree that a single currency is best for all, but I suspect the bad implementation was due mainly to how the nation (and their politicians) view the relationship between state and people.

I don't know, to be honest I think all countries kinda abused the lax rules on the Eurozone, not just the PIGS countries. When the Euro came into being, both Germany and France exceeded the maximum new debt allowed (3%), but they used their clout to assuage the others. Everybody was too excited to really care, but in the end it was a clear sign that it was way too easy to circumvent the stability safeguards. Well, the PIGS countries made an art out of it in the end, especially Greece.

rumborak

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #88 on: April 26, 2012, 02:10:54 PM »
PIGS= Portugal, Italy, Greece, Spain?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #89 on: April 26, 2012, 02:12:42 PM »
Portugal, Ireland, Italy, Greece, Spain

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #90 on: April 26, 2012, 02:47:40 PM »
I've mostly seen it without the double I because Ireland is already recovering.

ruimborak

Offline unklejman

« Reply #91 on: April 26, 2012, 05:02:50 PM »
With mindsets like that, who currently all line up behind their Jesus-like figure of Dr. Paul, I think the only direction it will go after he quits from the public scene is disarray.

rumborak

I can't speak for all RP supporters, but I can tell you what happened in my area. After the 2008 elections our RP meetup formed an organization that's aim is to educate voters about, and have influence on, local and state politics.