Author Topic: Sabaton  (Read 7513 times)

Offline gazinwales

Re: Sabaton
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2016, 04:59:14 PM »
Yeah I got it on Friday, the standard CD, heard it a couple of times, can't really remember much about it.

I was listening to the ex Sabaton members band, Civil War yesterday, 'Gods and Generals' is a very strong album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2016, 05:31:22 AM »
So, I've heard a song here and there from this band over time but nothing really grabbed me, yet I heard some potential.  I've seen the new album in stores with the deluxe version with the full concert DVD looking very interesting.  The price was $29.99, but the other day, I went into one store and it looked like it had the wrong price tag on it.  The price tag was $22.99 which I believe was the original cd cost.  I thought this was a good enough reason to pick it up.  $23 bucks with bonus tracks and a full DVD, why not?  :lol

Giving it a good couple of cracks, and I'm actually liking what the band has to offer.  It has that mix of traditional metal, power metal, and folkish, pirate, Grave Digger style which I'm not a huge fan of, but the band do it well.  I love the shortness of the songs too, that's a big plus considering the style of some of the songs here.  The DVD too is awesome, pro quality and the band are very entertaining live.  Might have to work my way back through these guys if this new cd holds up.  My favs are Sparta, Last Dying Breath, The Last Stand and the Last Battle.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2016, 04:49:12 AM »
It's a great album, took my a few plays to get into.
That said I probably prefer the last album Heroes (which has a song about an Aussie hero)

I'd check out the Swedish Empire live DVD/BR next, has a couple of killer shows:
https://youtu.be/BmerZbDPXns
https://youtu.be/DS4NbClmEGA
Festival performance in front of some 600,000 people.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2016, 07:08:44 AM »
Might have to check Heroes then.

I see JB has 20% off DVD's this weekend so I'm actually gonna look for that DVD or even the Heroes on Tour one.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2018, 05:55:31 PM »
Bumping this

I saw Sabaton a few years ago open for Nightwish and that was my first experience with their music.  I was impressed, put on a damn good show and the music was solid.  I got Carolous Rex shortly after, and really dug it.  Didn't go crazy about it, but thought it was a really solid album.  However, I never really went further into them.  Now I've been listening to a new band Cyhra and found they are touring the US in support for Sabaton and Kreator.  So I started listening to Sabaton again since I decided I wanted to check out this concert.  Damn, I don't know why I stopped listening.  Seems they released a couple albums since then so I am mostly just going through youtube videos but I think I'll be picking up their latest release soon.  :metal :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2018, 01:55:17 PM »
Went up to Boston over the weekend to catch the show I mentioned above ^  I guess Sabaton isn't too popular on DTF, but I'll write my review anyway...

WHAT A CONCERT

I got to say, I was super impressed with the trifecta of bands on this tour.  This isn't the thread for it, but Cyhra was sick (I missed most of their set thanks to security taking 80 minutes to process people waiting in line to get in).  Kreator was also really solid, I am not terribly into them, but they put on a good show and certainly enjoyed watching them.  Then came Sabaton, and they really get the crowd going.  It's like going to an exercise class or something.  Not for my fat ass, as I was on the balcony, but the energy of the band and the crowd was just insane.  At one point, during Swedish Pagans, the crowd got onto the floor and started "rowing" in unison.  It was unlike anything I've ever seen (at the 18 minute mark in my video).  The singer at one point brought out a guitar and started playing Master of Puppets, then stopped playng and sung a verse without any music, getting the crowd to sing with him.  The energy was so intense.  Since the show was in Boston and the next night was in New York (Boston and New York have a huge sports rivalry) they kind of brought it up which lead to the crowd screaming "FU NEW YORK"  :lol  I'm sure they got the NY crowd to do the same last night for Boston.  I walked away with a huge smile on my face and as a big Sabaton fan. 

Check out my video if interested in seeing some of the performances https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpV6bJqf8Wg

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2018, 02:23:14 PM »
Bumping this

I saw Sabaton a few years ago open for Nightwish and that was my first experience with their music.  I was impressed, put on a damn good show and the music was solid. 

I saw them a couple years ago open for NW too. If I could never see them again live, I'd be pleased.   :rollin

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2018, 02:53:03 PM »
Went up to Boston over the weekend to catch the show I mentioned above ^  I guess Sabaton isn't too popular on DTF, but I'll write my review anyway...

WHAT A CONCERT

I got to say, I was super impressed with the trifecta of bands on this tour.  This isn't the thread for it, but Cyhra was sick (I missed most of their set thanks to security taking 80 minutes to process people waiting in line to get in).  Kreator was also really solid, I am not terribly into them, but they put on a good show and certainly enjoyed watching them.  Then came Sabaton, and they really get the crowd going.  It's like going to an exercise class or something.  Not for my fat ass, as I was on the balcony, but the energy of the band and the crowd was just insane.  At one point, during Swedish Pagans, the crowd got onto the floor and started "rowing" in unison.  It was unlike anything I've ever seen (at the 18 minute mark in my video).  The singer at one point brought out a guitar and started playing Master of Puppets, then stopped playng and sung a verse without any music, getting the crowd to sing with him.  The energy was so intense.  Since the show was in Boston and the next night was in New York (Boston and New York have a huge sports rivalry) they kind of brought it up which lead to the crowd screaming "FU NEW YORK"  :lol  I'm sure they got the NY crowd to do the same last night for Boston.  I walked away with a huge smile on my face and as a big Sabaton fan. 

Check out my video if interested in seeing some of the performances https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpV6bJqf8Wg

I miss a chance to see them in Mexico two years ago, they seem like a good live band, I have listened two of their albums. Nice video!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2018, 08:00:43 PM »
I'd have loved to see this headlining tour - I saw them twice, opening for Iced Earth in 2014 and Nightwish in 2015, but this year wasn't in the cards for me.  I'm glad that they put together a great package and are doing really well this time.  Hopefully they can keep the headlining tours up!

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2019, 02:18:47 AM »
New song that is not on their new album (The Great War) called 'Bismarck' about the unsinkable German WWII battleship.
A definite return to their more epic sounding material and the video is pretty amazing too.
https://youtu.be/oVWEb-At8yc

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2019, 06:16:58 AM »
Song is good, music video is amazing.  Definitely looking forward to their new album and eventual US tour.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2019, 07:10:33 AM »

Offline Grappler

« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2019, 11:47:24 AM »
The Red Baron - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PXzgXBRM_k

Nothing groundbreaking, but catchy as hell with awesome sing-along vocals.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2019, 04:21:09 PM »
Yup, Sabaton being Sabaton.  I'm pretty sure they said somewhere that this album was going to be Sabaton, and so far all these singles have been.  Which for me, isn't a bad thing, the songs are good and this band is clearly very niche so just sticking with what they do and doing it well works for me.  Looking forward to the new album and I got a ticket to see them in NYC in the fall

Offline Grappler

« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2019, 09:07:27 AM »
I am loving the new album.  Heroes is my second favorite album (behind Art of War) of theirs, and The Last Stand as a whole didn't really live up to it.  Some of those songs are awesome, and a bunch just didn't do it for me.

But The Great War....these songs are HUGE.  Great choruses all over the place.  I love the History edition, with narration setting the stage for some of the songs.  I need to listen to that one more, but I can't take the standard album out of rotation.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2019, 10:19:49 AM »
I'll probably get it soon, just been busy with other music but I haven't heard a whole lot about it.  So good to hear someone likes it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2019, 01:12:11 PM »
Their live stream from Wacken will be on soon (next band) https://www.magenta-musik-360.de/wacken-livestream-2019

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2019, 04:25:51 PM »
Just watched the last two songs of the stream, they're so frikkin ridiculously awesome. Two stages, a buttload of band members, DOUBLE THE TANKS, a choir of soldiers, and Tina fucking Guo to boot!!! They're by far one of the best live acts out there man.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2019, 06:39:00 AM »
Just watched the last two songs of the stream, they're so frikkin ridiculously awesome. Two stages, a buttload of band members, DOUBLE THE TANKS, a choir of soldiers, and Tina fucking Guo to boot!!! They're by far one of the best live acts out there man.

I watched it all but the end, but that was a awesome show.  There's lots of good bands on the Wacken stream today as well, I'll probably leave it on at work.  But Sabaton yesterday definitely got me itching for that show in November.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2019, 06:41:32 AM »
I had caught Hammerfall earlier in the day, but missed Sabaton since that was during my commute home.  Hopefully some decent footage shows up online, or the performance is available later on.  I'd love to see them on two stages, with a bunch of their past band members.  What an awesome idea for a headlining slot at Wacken!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2019, 02:21:14 PM »
Sabaton must be getting more popular, they announced their NYC show is sold out  :metal I've yet to see a show at that venue sold out before (Within Temptation & In Flames, Nightwish, Avantasia, Devin Townsend, Epica & Lacuna Coil, Blind Guardian)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2019, 02:37:11 PM »
Sabaton must be getting more popular, they announced their NYC show is sold out  :metal I've yet to see a show at that venue sold out before (Within Temptation & In Flames, Nightwish, Avantasia, Devin Townsend, Epica & Lacuna Coil, Blind Guardian)

It's because of Hammerfall!! :metal   :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2019, 02:57:41 PM »
 :lol Hammerfall came to NYC a few years ago and they opened for Delain, they were better than I expected so I'm happy to see them again but that venue holds 500 and wasn't sold out.  Playstation Theater is 2100 capacity apparently.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2019, 09:03:44 AM »
So this was a bonus track to the Great War....I figured they'd keep it close to the original, but instead it's been fully Sabaton-ized. 

Afraid to Shoot Strangers - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShdeAgfMQxo

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2019, 02:59:11 PM »
In Denver for work this week and look who happens to be strolling into town this week... it's a sold out show but I had been tracking tickets on stubhub which were listed at $100 last week when I first realized I could be going to this show, well bought one today for $36.  Got my work under control and should have no issue getting out tonight and seeing the full show.  (although it's supposed to snow tonight here).

Anyway, I haven't got the album yet but I have listened to the full thing through streaming services a couple times now.  Not enough to rank things or anything, but I can say it %100 sounds like Sabaton for better or worse.  I mean, its a really enjoyable record, but a lot of songs sound like songs from the past so its hard to really go crazy with this album.  I am looking forward to seeing the new songs live though, especially 82nd All The Way.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2019, 07:18:44 PM »
Just realized that was Joakim singing on a new Babymetal song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqSUu6tR8sE  :lol  Kind of a ridiculous song, but it's definitely fun. 

Anyway, that Denver show was soooo much fun, and then their show in NYC a couple weeks ago was also out of this world fun.  The first and last time I'll ever see a sold out show at the Playstation Theater (it's closing at the end of the year).  It was awesome to see Joakim acknowledge this being the last metal show at the venue.  There was an awesome and big row pit at the end too, unlike in Denver as the venue really didn't allow it (due to shape and structure, not the people).  Anyway, here's my clips from Denver and NYC.  I really can't wait for them to come back around, such a powerful live performance and a growing audience for this band.  They sold out almost the entire NA tour  :omg:

Sabaton & Hammerfall Sold Out NYC 11/2/19

Sabaton & Hammerfall Sold Out Denver 10/23/19

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2019, 08:56:33 AM »
Finally picked up the new album and I'm loving it. I think it's their best yet! Bummed i couldn't catch them on the last tour.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2022, 07:47:24 PM »
So I just listened to the new Sabaton album. It is literally the first Sabaton album I've ever heard.

In what I've sampled from them, I've been kind of turned off by their singer, but my ears adapted to him  during the album. I'm passed that now I think.

How is their new album compared to the rest of their stuff?
What is their best album?

Has Tommy Johansson made a noticeable difference in the band?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Grappler

« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2022, 09:07:10 PM »
My favorite albums are The Art of War and Heroes. 

The new record sounds just like all of the prior albums, but seems to be the most similar to The Great War (their prior record, also themed about WWI), since it's a direct sequel to that album.  It does have some riffing that is more in line with their first few albums though. 

Joakim Broden (the singer) writes almost all of their music, and I haven't noticed any difference in songwriting when the musicians in the band change. 

Whatever you do, don't listen to Metalizer.  It's the one Sabaton record I don't care for at all.  It was their debut (though released third) and they hadn't yet found their sound. 

Offline Melphina

« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2022, 09:35:19 PM »
I agree with Grappler on Metalizer. Even by Sabaton standards it's pretty forgettable.

Tommy's addition hasn't really changed anything studio-wise but their live show is just that much better with him in the band. He's so fun as a person off stage and on stage, and their epic Denver show after JP cancelled the tour last year was unbelievable largely due to Tommy's antics. The band's already top notch live, Tommy brings professionalism, talent *and* more fun to the stage. Win win all around. Although I would love more Tommy influence in the songwriting, Sabaton does what Sabaton does and I can go listen to Reinxeed and Majestica all day and night if I want to.

Carolus Rex is my favorite Sabaton record because it's like the perfect Sabaton power metal album imo, and it comes in two languages. CR has a lot of their best songs imo. Coat of Arms is right behind for my taste.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2022, 09:45:45 PM »
Tommy has had zero effect on the new Sabaton, which is a shame, he is so talented, check out his YT channel.
The songwriting on TWTEAW is getting very samey now, there are riffs and melodies that echo their past works.

Offline Melphina

« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2022, 09:53:00 PM »
Tommy has had zero effect on the new Sabaton, which is a shame, he is so talented, check out his YT channel.
The songwriting on TWTEAW is getting very samey now, there are riffs and melodies that echo their past works.

That's exactly how I've felt about the last 2-3 albums and I'm waiting to play this new album when I'm in a really good, acceptable mood for it so I can fairly judge it. But they don't even write as many speedy songs these days and so much of their midtempo stuff sounds the same. Not always a bad thing especially if you like a band but when your lyrical themes are so narrow that is definitely a bad thing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2022, 09:34:41 AM »
Haven't listened to the new album yet, but the singles didn't really impress me. I plan on checking it out soon though. Hope they do a US headline tour soon, they are fantastic live.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2022, 01:50:43 PM »
Sabaton are pretty much the same as any band with one (main) songwriter, after so many albums they start to repeat themselves.
Which is a real shame as they have some talented people in the band, who are being wasted by not being used to their full potential.

My two fave albums are both epic, long and take more to digest, Carolus Rex and The Art Of War.
Which incidentally are both albums from the 'old' line up, which left straight after CR and formed Civil War.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2022, 02:36:19 PM »

Yeah, I discovered Tommy while getting into Golden Resurrection years ago. Happy as he's probably getting a big payday now.

Thanks for all of the recommendations guys! Their live stuff on youtube is great. They look like great shows. The crowd gets totally into it.