Author Topic: Gay Marriage Is Nothing To Fear, Bishops Say  (Read 37152 times)

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Gay Marriage Is Nothing To Fear, Bishops Say
« Reply #140 on: April 27, 2012, 10:45:25 AM »
We it's a good thing Hef didn't say that, isn't it? :tup

Reposted for relevance. :biggrin:

However, I came here to point out that most philosophers, especially ones like Aristotle, had their own opinions of what constituted "good" and then sort of shoehorned everything in there to make it fit.  The most clear example is probably ethical egoism, in which the right thing is to act in your own self-interest.  Pretty much anything can be twisted and subverted to explain how an action was in one's self-interest and why its good to do so.  So, naturally, most if not all philosophies are flawed in some way.  Even so, combining Plato and Aristotle in order to apply an arbitrary definition to a word and "prove" that the word can only mean that is just mind-bogglingly insane, especially when you try and say that it proves that gay marriage can't exist, and that there's some kind of parallel between me marrying another dude and marrying a lamp. 

But, as Sigz said, there's probably no point in arguing with someone who thinks a word holds only one metaphysical truth, so whatever.  I'll watch from the sidelines.  Someone get me some :popcorn:

I don't think I can stomach another "insightful" "rebuttal" or comment to Natural Law.
Well there's something we agree on. :D

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #141 on: April 27, 2012, 11:00:14 AM »
You guys lose me when you get into Plato and Aristotle, I know more about Socrates. 

For example, I know that he loves baseball.  And most of all- he loves....he loves San Dimas!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #142 on: April 27, 2012, 11:38:23 AM »
You guys lose me when you get into Plato and Aristotle, I know more about Socrates. 

For example, I know that he loves baseball.  And most of all- he loves....he loves San Dimas!

XANG!   :tup
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #143 on: April 27, 2012, 11:40:43 AM »
Wow.

I say we let cooler heads prevail and discuss this further on Monday. Seriously. I don't think I can stomach another "insightful" "rebuttal" or comment to Natural Law.

Wow indeed.

It really bothers you when people dont agree with your far fetched positions, doesnt it?
If you feel you must cool down over the weekend, you do that...we are just fine, thx.  You and those that agree with you will have to join the discussion on Monday I guess....oh wait...no one else agrees with you.
Oh well....see you Monday!   :lol
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Omega

« Reply #144 on: April 27, 2012, 12:00:13 PM »
Wow.

I say we let cooler heads prevail and discuss this further on Monday. Seriously. I don't think I can stomach another "insightful" "rebuttal" or comment to Natural Law.

Wow indeed.

It really bothers you when people dont agree with your far fetched positions, doesnt it?
If you feel you must cool down over the weekend, you do that...we are just fine, thx.  You and those that agree with you will have to join the discussion on Monday I guess....oh wait...no one else agrees with you.

...Yes, good one, Eric. Whatever the majority believes is true is true, right? I suppose that if you want to, as your post indicates, we can have a dick measuring contest of sorts in which I'll somehow convince hundreds of people across the internet to make accounts here and post on this thread "I agree with Omega". Then, a majority of the people on the thread will agree with me and, according to your logic, I'll "win" the argument and you'll be placed in the far-fetched-position camp. Sound absurd? I'm inclined to agree, yet that's what the post you just made seems to indicate. And frankly, if I may say so, most of the "rebuttals" and comments that cause me to uncontrollably shake my head in frustration and pity seem to consistently be posted by you. I hope you'll take the weekend off to perhaps do something worthwhile in regards to the expansion of the intellect? Perhaps read a book or something?
ΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩ

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #145 on: April 27, 2012, 12:50:56 PM »
At this point, I can only assume you are either ignoring my points, or don't have a logical response to them.

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #146 on: April 27, 2012, 12:55:11 PM »
Wow.

Wow indeed.

...Yes, good one, Eric. Whatever the majority believes is true is true, right? I suppose that if you want to, as your post indicates, we can have a dick measuring contest of sorts in which I'll somehow convince hundreds of people across the internet to make accounts here and post on this thread "I agree with Omega". Then, a majority of the people on the thread will agree with me and, according to your logic, I'll "win" the argument and you'll be placed in the far-fetched-position camp. Sound absurd? I'm inclined to agree, yet that's what the post you just made seems to indicate. And frankly, if I may say so, most of the "rebuttals" and comments that cause me to uncontrollably shake my head in frustration and pity seem to consistently be posted by you. I hope you'll take the weekend off to perhaps do something worthwhile in regards to the expansion of the intellect? Perhaps read a book or something?

your final few statements invoke your final warning, Omega. 

Offline yeshaberto

« Reply #147 on: April 27, 2012, 12:58:46 PM »
as for others, if you don't agree with a poster, discuss why.  otherwise, this thread will be closed.

Offline wolfandwolfandwolf

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #148 on: April 27, 2012, 12:59:18 PM »
At this point, I can only assume you are either ignoring my points, or don't have a logical response to them.
It's okay.  People don't like to respond to level-headed arguments, they like fist shaking rage.

Offline Omega

« Reply #149 on: April 27, 2012, 01:04:49 PM »
As I said, Monday. And I won't be even bother acknowledging the presence eric's posts from now on.
ΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩ

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #150 on: April 27, 2012, 01:37:24 PM »
As I said, Monday. And I won't be even bother acknowledging the presence eric's posts from now on.

So you will ignore them and insult me, but not respond with a rebuttal.
Ok.

Enjoy the weekend!   :hat
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline yeshaberto

« Reply #151 on: April 27, 2012, 01:51:10 PM »
Wow.

Wow indeed.

this is your warning, eric.  knock off the antagonism

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #152 on: April 27, 2012, 03:38:47 PM »

:smiley:  :corn
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline comment

• Custom Title
  • What’s on your mind Facebook?
« Reply #153 on: April 27, 2012, 11:19:20 PM »
I contend that a reasonable person, without presuppositions or beliefs, could read the Bible and see that a Biblical worldview, in the case of homosexuality, is defined as sin.  Therefore, leaders of a biblical community are irresponsible by disregarding their guide book to publicly affirm and rejoice for behavior that their guidebook says brings death.
There are no reasonable people without presupposition or beliefs.  If there were, they wouldn't identify a "Biblical worldview."  They wouldn't view the Bible as anything different than any other book of stories.

But if there were such people, they would also read that eating shellfish and women having short hair, among other things, are also sins.  So how seriously should they take that?

:)  Hef...

I contend that a reasonable person, without preconceived ideas, could read the Bible and see a Biblical view that defines homosexuality as sin.  I also contend, that a reasonable person, without preconceived ideas could read the Bible and conclude that marriage, from the Bible's view, is a coupling of men and women.  I think it would be fair minded for that person to conclude that leaders of a community, that have a Biblical worldview, are irresponsible by publicly "affirming" and "rejoicing" for behavior that their guidebook views as sin.  And also irresponsible by encouraging a homosexual coupling for marriage.

How serious they take what they read is the fundamental/nominal distinction you made earlier.  I don't think it's necessarily that, but that's fair.  In this case though, I think someone whose reasonable could read the Bible for the first time and then read this threads internet article and go  :o "WHAT??  Did they read the same book I read?  Their leaders of a community that uses that book as a guide and their "rejoicing" at WHAT?"  I think it's a reasonable scenario and conclusion.  I know it's not popular, but this is religion after all.   :angel:  That same person may not agree with the Bible and think it's unreasonable in todays world, but I think they could make a fair distinction on what a biblical view is for certain issues.  Maybe not shellfish, but homosexuality...I think so.

Sounds like you've read the Bible.  Do you think a non-religious, reasonable person, could put aside their preconceptions, read the Bible, and NOT see the Bible views homosexuality as sin?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 01:34:01 AM by comment »
Signature

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #154 on: April 28, 2012, 04:29:13 AM »
I didn't say that *YOU* said that....but you were equalizing all sin.  (or at least, the sin of homosexuality and the "sin" of a woman having short hair....which isn't even listed as a sin *AT ALL*)

I was pointing at that your statement was ludicrous.
OK.

Well, I didn't say that, either.

So, your statement is ludicrous.

How about next time we criticize what I actually say, mmkay?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #155 on: April 28, 2012, 04:40:43 AM »
I contend that a reasonable person, without presuppositions or beliefs, could read the Bible and see that a Biblical worldview, in the case of homosexuality, is defined as sin.  Therefore, leaders of a biblical community are irresponsible by disregarding their guide book to publicly affirm and rejoice for behavior that their guidebook says brings death.
There are no reasonable people without presupposition or beliefs.  If there were, they wouldn't identify a "Biblical worldview."  They wouldn't view the Bible as anything different than any other book of stories.

But if there were such people, they would also read that eating shellfish and women having short hair, among other things, are also sins.  So how seriously should they take that?

:)  Hef...

I contend that a reasonable person, without preconceived ideas, could read the Bible and see a Biblical view that defines homosexuality as sin.  I also contend, that a reasonable person, without preconceived ideas could read the Bible and conclude that marriage, from the Bible's view, is a coupling of men and women.  I think it would be fair minded for that person to conclude that leaders of a community, that have a Biblical worldview, are irresponsible by publicly "affirming" and "rejoicing" for behavior that their guidebook views as sin.  And also irresponsible by encouraging a homosexual coupling for marriage.

How serious they take what they read is the fundamental/nominal distinction you made earlier.  I don't think it's necessarily that, but that's fair.  In this case though, I think someone whose reasonable could read the Bible for the first time and then read this threads internet article and go  :o "WHAT??  Did they read the same book I read?  Their leaders of a community that uses that book as a guide and their "rejoicing" at WHAT?"  I think it's a reasonable scenario and conclusion.  I know it's not popular, but this is religion after all.   :angel:  That same person may not agree with the Bible and think it's unreasonable in todays world, but I think they could make a fair distinction on what a biblical view is for certain issues.  Maybe not shellfish, but homosexuality...I think so.
Contend away.

Sounds like you've read the Bible.  Do you think a non-religious, reasonable person, could put aside their preconceptions, read the Bible, and NOT see the Bible views homosexuality as sin?
Not without seeing a host of other strange things as sin.  So such a person wouldn't take the Bible seriously at all.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Odysseus

« Reply #156 on: April 28, 2012, 05:15:03 AM »

I think most non-religious, reasonable people are quite capable of reading the bible and seeing that the contents reflected the views of a bronze age community that could have no real clue about life in the 21st century.   The issue for me is not whether  the bible views homosexuality as a sin, but whether that particular view has any place in a world which has developed beyond all recognition. 

If we take the biblical view a step further, some people might reasonably ask why the fundies don't put their money where their mouth is and actually demand the death penalty for homosexuality?  In for a penny, in for a pound, as we say over here.

"If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives." (Leviticus 20:13 NAB)

Furthermore, it might be asked why our fundie brethren don't go balls-out and get stuck completely in rather than just cherry-picking aspects of scripture that they think they can get away with?  For example, who hasn't muttered curses to their parents when they were young and stupid and wanted that new bike that they couldn't afford?  Do we really want to follow scripture on this too?

1) If one curses his father or mother, his lamp will go out at the coming of darkness. (Proverbs 20:20 NAB)
2) All who curse their father or mother must be put to death. They are guilty of a capital offense. (Leviticus 20:9 NLT)

I thought not.

It's the 21st century. Whatever you gotta do to have a good time, let's just get on with it as long as it doesn't cause a murder.  Let's not pretend that some ancient tribal deity from Shitkicker, Canaan is going to visit fire and pestilence upon homosexual people out of his 'Infinite Love'.  It's not really an intelligent viewpoint, is it?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #157 on: April 28, 2012, 05:19:19 AM »
Not to mention "Infinite Love" was not exactly word of the day when people were running around in "Shitkicker, Canaan" worshipping Him and heeding His every word. He was, as another poster said I think, a warrior God. People were taught to fear him, not to love him. His job wasn't to answer your prayers to ease your burdens, it was to kick the asses of the guys who worshipped that other god.

Things have changed a lot in 2000 years, haven't they? We (the sane among us) don't kill our disobedient children, we send them to their rooms. Or at least I hope that's the case with most here.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #158 on: April 28, 2012, 05:20:30 AM »
Not to mention that the Old Testament is the old law and the New Testament is the new.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #159 on: April 28, 2012, 05:28:27 AM »
Not really my point, but yeah I guess. Although actually, as I've been learning in my class about Medieval Jews, the Christian God (as separate from Jesus) during the Early and High Middle Ages was no different. The God = love deal is more characteristically post-Crusades Christianity. Before that it was mainly Jesus picking up the "philanthropic" slack.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #160 on: April 28, 2012, 05:47:56 PM »
Not without seeing a host of other strange things as sin.  So such a person wouldn't take the Bible seriously at all.
This.

Offline wolfandwolfandwolf

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #161 on: April 28, 2012, 09:51:01 PM »
disregard.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #162 on: April 29, 2012, 08:57:27 PM »
I am a non-religious, reasonable person. From what I have read, the Bible does indeed view homosexuality as sin.

That being said, like Hef said, the Bible also views a bevy of other strange things as sin. So it is difficult for me to take it seriously sometimes.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #163 on: April 30, 2012, 09:08:00 AM »
Quote from: TheOutlawXanadu link=topic=32006.msg1275761#msg1275761
the Bible also views a bevy of other strange things as sin. So it is difficult for me to take it seriously sometimes.

So do other holy books like the Quran and the Torah. I've read them all and I am usually suprised by what I've read. The point is: these books must answer everything whatever we want from them, no matter what time it is, no matter where we are but I don't think they are in a parallel with the present time.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #164 on: April 30, 2012, 11:44:11 AM »
I understand and can see what Omega is saying. God have us Freewill that's why we can choose our path. Animals can't, a dog can't be a cat because his body isn't built that way. But Animals know their purpose i. That's what I think Omega is trying to say, but for some reason most of you can't grasp what he said

Homosexuality is a son not because of sex, but because of the way life was lived. People lived by the Bible, unlike today where one day people are just going through the motions. Plus, when did life change? Aren't the pilgrims  rebels against the church? also, is America a modern day Babylon, Sodom and Gomora?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #165 on: April 30, 2012, 11:50:45 AM »
God have us Freewill that's why we can choose our path.

Alright, fine.

Animals can't, a dog can't be a cat because his body isn't built that way. But Animals know their purpose i.

Umm, what? A dog can't be a cat, and neither can a human. That still says nothing about whether an animal has free will. Saying no animals have intellect or will is flat out wrong.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: April 30, 2012, 11:58:20 AM »
I understand and can see what Omega is saying. God have us Freewill that's why we can choose our path. Animals can't, a dog can't be a cat because his body isn't built that way. But Animals know their purpose i. That's what I think Omega is trying to say, but for some reason most of you can't grasp what he said

Homosexuality is a son not because of sex, but because of the way life was lived. People lived by the Bible, unlike today where one day people are just going through the motions. Plus, when did life change? Aren't the pilgrims  rebels against the church? also, is America a modern day Babylon, Sodom and Gomora?

How the hell did you equate shapeshifting with free will?  We can't change into dolphins, does that mean we also don't have free will (in b4 Tom's Rhinoplasty)?  As Sigz said, just because animals can't change who they are down to the genetic level doesn't mean they don't have free will or intellect is plain wrong.  Its an ancient remnant of philosophical theory, far as I can tell.

You're comparing a trait that some humans inherently possess (homosexuality) to the ability to become a different being entirely, which is, as you rightly put, impossible.  Gay humans are still human, just in the same way that tall people are still people.  Its just one trait someone has that other people may not have.  However, our bodies were built to allow for some genetic anomalies, both physical and mental.  Homosexuality is such an anomaly. 

Who's to say that those who are homosexual aren't fitting into the mold of how the "best" human should act?  If human genetics allow for gay people to exist (or if God allows gay people to exist), then surely acting on their inherent instincts and using knowledge & reason (using Aristotle's own methods) allows a person to truly fulfill their potential as a human regardless of their sexuality.  Is that not right?  I believe not, especially since Aristotle was VERY biased when he came up with his moral theories (the philosopher and scholar thinks that the best people are those that use knowledge and reason?  What a shock!  :P). 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #167 on: April 30, 2012, 12:10:48 PM »
God have us Freewill that's why we can choose our path.

Alright, fine.

Animals can't, a dog can't be a cat because his body isn't built that way. But Animals know their purpose i.

Umm, what? A dog can't be a cat, and neither can a human. That still says nothing about whether an animal has free will. Saying no animals have intellect or will is flat out wrong.

well duh, animals arent dumb. i'm trying to say, Animals know their purpose unlike humans. That's the freewill gene.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #168 on: April 30, 2012, 12:11:31 PM »
I was having this discussion (about gay marriage) this weekend with my mother's cousin who is a retired priest.  I asked him what he thought about letting homosexuals marry.  I think it's critical to point out that my mother's cousin "retired" from the priesthood because he was caught with homosexual pornographic video content on his parish laptop, which forced him to admit that he had been carrying on a relationship with a guy (while still being a priest) for many years.  He was summarily defrocked by the church and has lived as an openly gay man ever since.

Anyway, I asked him what he thought about gay marriage and he said he thought that "more people should learn how to simply live and let live"

And I could not possibly agree more.

If Bill and Bob want to get married and live together, why should anyone other than Bill and Bob care?

Live and let live.

So simple.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #169 on: April 30, 2012, 12:14:05 PM »
Animals know their purpose

What does that even mean?

If Bill and Bob want to get married and live together, why should anyone other than Bill and Bob care?

That's what I don't understand. I mean, with abortion I can see why people want it illegal - if you believe a fetus is a human being, then it's murder. But gay marriage literally has no effect on anyone else. And even if you think it's immoral, that shouldn't be reason alone to make it illegal. There's plenty of things I think are immoral but I'm not about to start screaming for new laws about them.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: April 30, 2012, 12:18:23 PM »
I understand what Omega is saying about "natural law". I used to think that way too. Isn't the point of any species to exist? To continue to exist? To spread? To procreate? Even though I didn't view homosexuality as a sin, I still thought that surely it was against the "norm" or "natural law". I thought that homosexuality was similar to a person being born infertile. It doesn't make them less of a person, and it is clearly not a sin, but we'd still consider it to be something wrong with them.

Now obviously saying that homosexuality is something that is wrong offends many people. And over the past few years I've realized that that can't be the case. There has to be another way of logic. And I think I've found it. Since humans have become self aware, we have created our own natural law. Almost everyone will agree that procreation is not the meaning of life. We all have our own goals and purposes. Having offspring might fulfill that for some people but not for everyone. Now we regard sexuality as a trait similar to hair or skin color. People are born differently, no trait is better than another, and no trait is inherently wrong.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: April 30, 2012, 12:22:30 PM »
Since humans have become self aware, we have created our own natural law. Almost everyone will agree that procreation is not the meaning of life. We all have our own goals and purposes. Having offspring might fulfill that for some people but not for everyone. Now we regard sexuality as a trait similar to hair or skin color. People are born differently, no trait is better than another, and no trait is inherently wrong.

This, but I'll add that it shouldn't matter to anyone else how you go about living your life as long as you don't harm others, even if its not one's idea of following "natural law."

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #172 on: April 30, 2012, 12:23:17 PM »

Y'know at first I read that as Bill (i.e. Axeman) and Blob, and I was quite surprised to say the least. :lol

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #173 on: April 30, 2012, 12:23:30 PM »

This is assuminga lot. IT assumes taht humans aren't animals, making us different from animals, when there is in fact no empirical evidence to make us anything other than a certain animal, with certain traits, and nothing more.

It also assumes that animals are stupid, that they don't think, they don't have emotions or personalities. That, again, is unfounded and an assumption of animal behavior.

In sum, I would say any degree to which animals "know their purpose," humans also "know their purpose." And ya, procreation is the general thing which motivates this. Did you decide to be attracted to whatever sex you're attracted to? Nope, and no one else does either. That's "knowing your purpose." A man who is attracted to a man is "knowing his purpose." A woman who is attracted to a woman is "knowing his purpose." A man who is attracted to a woman is "knowing his purpose."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #174 on: April 30, 2012, 12:26:00 PM »

Y'know at first I read that as Bill (i.e. Axeman) and Blob, and I was quite surprised to say the least. :lol

Surprised that you weren't invited? Because the invitations are in the mail, I swear!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.