Author Topic: Gay Marriage Is Nothing To Fear, Bishops Say  (Read 37151 times)

Offline Odysseus

Gay Marriage Is Nothing To Fear, Bishops Say
« on: April 22, 2012, 04:42:37 AM »
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/gay-marriage-nothing-fear-bishops-090507675.html

Gay Marriage Is Nothing To Fear, Bishops Say

The Church of England has "nothing to fear" from the prospect of gay marriage, according to a group of senior bishops and clergymen.
The influential Anglicans added that the prospect of same-sex marriage should be a "cause for rejoicing".
In a letter to The Times, prominent figures including five former bishops said: "Recent statements by church leaders past and present may have given the impression that the Church is universally opposed to the extension of civil marriage to same-sex couples.
"We believe that does not adequately reflect the range of opinion which exists within the Church of England."
The letter is said to have been organised by Dr Jeffrey John, the openly gay Dean of St Albans.
It is also signed by the suffragan Bishop of Buckingham and the deans of Portsmouth, Norwich and Guildford.
The letter described marriage as a "robust institution which has adapted much over the centuries" and said it has "moved beyond the polygamy of the Old Testament and preoccupation with social status and property in pre-Enlightened times".
They also welcome comments made by the Bishop of Salisbury and the new Dean of St Paul's Cathedral in which they called on the Church to affirm same-sex couples.
"We believe that the church of England has nothing to fear from the introduction of civil marriage for same-sex couples.
"It will be for the churches to then decide how they respond pastorally to such a change in the law."
Plans to legalise gay civil marriage by 2015 have been put out for consultation by the Government

When we hear so much that is backwards looking and negative from religious institutions, it's heartening to hear something a bit more inclusive and progressive.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Gay Marriage Is Nothing To Fear, Bishops Say
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 04:54:30 AM »
I agree.

One thing my wife and I are worried about here in North Carolina is Amendment One, an item on the ballot for the May 8th elections which would officially recognize marriage here in NC as one man + one woman.  We think that is a terrible backwards move for our state, and one primarily driven by religious interests.  We are deeply religious ourselves, but laws shouldn't be passed whose only reason for existence is religion.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 04:59:06 AM »
"We believe that the church of England has nothing to fear from the introduction of civil marriage for same-sex couples.
"It will be for the churches to then decide how they respond pastorally to such a change in the law."

This almost makes too much sense to believe the church saying. :P
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 05:03:24 AM »
I never got why two people from the same sex can't get married.  How does it affect me personally?!

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 05:23:10 AM »
I never got why two people from the same sex can't get married.  How does it affect me personally?!

Because being gay is a choice, and if we allow gay people to get married and live normal lives and raise their adopted kids, then everyone will turn out gay and spend their extra civil union-enabled benefit money on glitter and glow sticks and society will decay into chaos and we'll all go to hell.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 05:49:59 AM »
Quote from: Bishops
Gay Marriage Is Nothing To Fear

In other news, it was recently reported that water was discovered to be mostly "wet"

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 07:16:42 AM »

Because being gay is a choice, and if we allow gay people to get married and live normal lives and raise their adopted kids, then everyone will turn out gay and spend their extra civil union-enabled benefit money on glitter and glow sticks and society will decay into chaos and we'll all go to hell.

Finally, someone with the right idea. Allowing queers to coerce their way into the institution of marriage, where they will no doubt corrupt it's fundamental values, is in fact one of the dangerous things we (as god fearing individuals) can do. The left wing radicals would have us wage war on values we hold dear; religion and marriage.

One thing my wife and I are worried about here in North Carolina is Amendment One, an item on the ballot for the May 8th elections which would officially recognize marriage here in NC as one man + one woman.  We think that is a terrible backwards move for our state, and one primarily driven by religious interests.  We are deeply religious ourselves, but laws shouldn't be passed whose only reason for existence is religion.

I too am against the amendment! Although I expect it to pass  :sad:  :sad:  :sad:
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 07:20:49 AM »
Nobody should be shocked or disgusted by same sex marriage. Every married person knows it's always the same sex!
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 07:27:29 AM »
 :lol

Some bishops would like to move forward with same sex marriage.. Sadly, it's not going to happen, because bishops can only move diagonally.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 07:45:50 AM »
BUT HOW AM I GOING TO EXPLAIN THIS TO MY CHILDREN

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 08:04:41 AM »
I agree.

All of this.  I'm glad I'll be back home (two days after I graduate) to vote against this piece of trash.  It also takes away state privileges for civil unions/domestic partnerships, so it hurts unmarried couples as well.  Hopefully our state didn't suddenly become some backwards hick state while I was gone.  I've never seen NC as part of the stereotypical image of the south and I hope it doesn't devolve into such come May 8th. :/

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 09:46:54 AM »
The forces massing for this amendment are strong.  I'm afraid it will pass.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Odysseus

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2012, 12:02:12 PM »

Some bishops would like to move forward with same sex marriage.. Sadly, it's not going to happen, because bishops can only move diagonally.

POTW  :hefdaddy

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2012, 12:57:29 PM »

POTW  :hefdaddy

haha, thanks! someone finally acknowledged my joke.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2012, 01:39:47 PM »

:-\  :censored

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2012, 01:43:19 PM »

:-\  :censored

I just voted against it today!

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2012, 03:35:22 PM »
 :tup

Offline Omega

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2012, 03:56:15 PM »
Suffice it to say that I am in favor of Amendment One here in North Cackalaky. I'm much too busy to defend this from all you fellow, very liberal DTF-ers at the very moment, but expect to hear a more fleshed out response in the days to come.

Let the 2 minutes of hate commence.
ΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩ

Offline ehra

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2012, 04:30:05 PM »
I don't think anyone's surprised enough by your stance to muster up much hate. Cows moo, cats are assholes, and Omega is staunchly against the idea of gay marriage.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2012, 04:33:37 PM »
I'm more conservative than liberal, tbh.  I just think that the party of small government should actually, you know, get the fuck out of people's lives.  Or at least the party that's SUPPOSED to be about small government. :P

That and the fact that gay marriage isn't hurting anyone is why I'm in favor of allowing it.  Its not going to harm your marriage or any other heterosexual marriage out there unless your spouse is deathly allergic to equality and freedom.  And amendment one in NC not only deals away with any possibility of same-sex marriage (which is already illegal), but also with civil unions.  So even two heterosexual people who love each other but don't want to be married get screwed!  And so do their kids!  Reading some of the comments on articles regarding these on the N&O website make me so mad at people, especially those who think homosexuality is a choice (which it isn't). 

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2012, 04:37:18 PM »
I agree.

Though I find "getting married" is a piece of paper in front of goverment, it still has its speciality in social world. So everyone must have this right.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2012, 04:37:43 PM »
Quote from: snapple
People listen to the Catholic church? People actually care about what the Catholic church thinks? :shrug:

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2012, 04:38:21 PM »
I hear Catholics put some stake in what they say.  Just rumors though.  :biggrin:

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2012, 04:44:24 PM »
I'm more conservative than liberal, tbh.  I just think that the party of small government should actually, you know, get the fuck out of people's lives.  Or at least the party that's SUPPOSED to be about small government. :P

That and the fact that gay marriage isn't hurting anyone is why I'm in favor of allowing it.  Its not going to harm your marriage or any other heterosexual marriage out there unless your spouse is deathly allergic to equality and freedom.  And amendment one in NC not only deals away with any possibility of same-sex marriage (which is already illegal), but also with civil unions.  So even two heterosexual people who love each other but don't want to be married get screwed!  And so do their kids!  Reading some of the comments on articles regarding these on the N&O website make me so mad at people, especially those who think homosexuality is a choice (which it isn't).

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2012, 04:48:45 PM »
But if you legalize gay marriage, you need to legalize bestiality and incest....  :biggrin:

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2012, 05:07:09 PM »

but seriously, I don't think most people voting for the amendment fully understand exactly what it's about. If it was only for civil unions, most of the right-wing evangelicals wouldn't think twice about it. 

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2012, 05:14:27 PM »

but seriously, I don't think most people voting for the amendment fully understand exactly what it's about. If it was only for civil unions, most of the right-wing evangelicals wouldn't think twice about it.

The thing that bothers me, is that a Jewish/Muslim (Islamic?)/Pagan/Druidic/Las Vegas wedding are not the same thing as a Christian wedding. I'm most certainly a follower of Christ, as is my wife-to-be, and we are getting married in what we believe to be true. I have nothing wrong with people who are different, but what gays are looking for are equal rights. I do not agree with them, but I have no right to tell them "no". What holes I put my penis into is my business, not yours. And vice versa.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2012, 09:26:40 AM »
laws shouldn't be passed whose only reason for existence is religion.

Sub the word "exclusion" in for "religion" and it works just as well.

Offline wolfandwolfandwolf

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2012, 10:03:14 AM »
We are deeply religious ourselves, but laws shouldn't be passed whose only reason for existence is religion.
Totally agree, except for separation of church and state.  Need that.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2012, 12:01:09 PM »
I never understood how people could be so against gay marriage. If you are Christian, aren't marriages only sanctified if done through a Christian service, by a priest/reverend/pastor what have you? I know atleast in the Catholic religion, the only marriage that is seen as "sacred" and "valid" is one done by the church. So why the fuck then would they care if a gay couple gets married by the state? It wouldn't be deemed valid even if it was a straight couple anyway.

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2012, 12:36:24 PM »
This is a Christian Nation.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2012, 01:10:10 PM »
Not, it's not.

https://www.stephenjaygould.org/ctrl/treaty_tripoli.html

As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion;

Given the time of the treaty, and the ratifiers and supporters of the treaty, to say that we are a Christian Nation is absurd.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2012, 01:22:58 PM »
This is a Christian Nation.

What does that even mean?
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2012, 01:34:58 PM »
Should've used the green.  I should hope that even though I am a Christian, most could understand that I was poking fun at the notion.

Offline Odysseus

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2012, 03:38:08 PM »
Suffice it to say that I am in favor of Amendment One here in North Cackalaky. I'm much too busy to defend this from all you fellow, very liberal DTF-ers at the very moment, but expect to hear a more fleshed out response in the days to come.

Let the 2 minutes of hate commence.

Hate, eh?  After mentioning the word hate, are you about to argue for discrimination against a bunch of people based on their sexual proclivities (that happen to be none of my, your, or anyone else's business)  based on a book from the Bronze Age?

Why are some of the religious people so concerned about what other people get up to in their bedrooms anyway?