Author Topic: Catholics 'want married priests'  (Read 2400 times)

Offline Odysseus

Catholics 'want married priests'
« on: April 22, 2012, 04:39:44 AM »
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/catholics-want-married-priests-125044381.html

Catholics 'want married priests'

The vast majority of Irish Catholics want women and married priests, liberal clergymen have found.
The Association of Catholic Priests (ACP), which has had one of its founding members silenced by the Vatican for his views, insists it has public support for Pope Benedict to open dialogue on the controversial bans.
The group of more than 800 priests in Ireland claimed they have a mandate from mass-goers to raise concerns after a survey revealed a disconnect between official church teachings and what ordinary Catholics believe.
Almost nine out of 10 Catholics questioned said priests should be allowed to marry, with 77% believing women should be ordained.
Fr Brendan Hoban, of the ACP, said the group believe in the fundamental teachings of the Church and is not leading any breakaway from Rome.
"We are not dissident priests. There are not 815 dissident priests," he said. "We are reflecting what we are hearing in parishes and have heard in parishes for years."

The ACP said its all-Ireland survey put statistics behind anecdotal evidence that parishioners want change from the heart of Rome.
It criticised the silencing of founding member Fr Tony Flannery, who was told to stop writing his monthly column with the religious publication Reality. The Redemptorist was also ordered to spend six weeks in a monastery for spiritual and theological reflection.
"We think it's not the way the church should go about doing its business," said Fr Hoban, a parish priest in Mayo in the west of Ireland. "There are differences and there are problems and I think the way to face them is not by silencing the messengers, but teasing out what the message is. We are disturbed by that sort of blunt kind of reason to questions we are asking."
Meanwhile, the church is preparing for about 25,000 pilgrims from almost 100 countries to attend the International Eucharistic Congress in Dublin in June. Pope Benedict is expected to make a live televised address to the major international Catholic festival.

I'm not sure if this view is reflected in the Catholic community in the US.  As for Ireland, it makes me wonder how long the Catholic church can continue ot be seen as relevant when so much of its outlook is at odds with modern society. 

Cynics might say at least it might stop 'em pooching the kids.... but that would be uncharitable....  :angel:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Catholics 'want married priests'
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 04:51:52 AM »
I don't know that it would have anything to do with the pedophiles.

But they should be allowed to marry.  Especially since there is no good reason not to do so.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TL

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 08:38:37 AM »
As a Catholic, I'm 100% in favor of allowing priests to marry, and allowing women to be priests. Most Catholics I know agree.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 11:50:27 AM »

Maybe if priests could marry, you'd have more people join the priesthood? Wouldn't do anything about the current pedophiles, but may be able to drown them out in the future.

Offline Odysseus

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 12:00:07 PM »

Probably not.  If someone is a nonce then I doubt whether being married would make that much difference.  Some people have suggested that the pedo thing is a result of pent-up sexual frustration - maybe there's a small element of truth in that for some, but I wouldn't have thought that there's much more than that.

But they should be allowed to marry.  Especially since there is no good reason not to do so.

Pretty much everyone I know agrees.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 03:12:05 PM »
Is there any real legitimate reason they can't get married, or is it all because of Descarte's Republic?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 03:14:17 PM »

First though I had too.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 03:16:46 PM »
People listen to the Catholic church? People actually care about what the Catholic church thinks? :shrug:

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 03:31:23 PM »
Yes, they're called Catholics.

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 05:50:03 PM »
They already allow pastors who convert to Catholicism from other denominations to become priests (after taking some extra classes/training of course) and to stay married.

Although I believe they still have to take the vow of celibacy.

I know of at least a couple of these cases, one of which was covered in the local news when a Lutheran pastor became a Catholic priest and kept his wife and kids.

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 06:01:53 PM »
Would be a huge step in right direction

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 06:31:41 PM »
Wait, they ask them to be celibate from then on? That's ridiculous.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline j

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2012, 07:30:07 PM »
Is there any real legitimate reason they can't get married, or is it all because of Descarte's Republic?

I think it's actually supposed to be a practical thing: i.e. not being tied to the responsibility of having a family when the church could ship you anywhere at any given moment if they need your services.

They already allow pastors who convert to Catholicism from other denominations to become priests (after taking some extra classes/training of course) and to stay married.

Although I believe they still have to take the vow of celibacy.

I don't think the last part is true.  As far as I know, sex within marriage is encouraged by just about every Christian group, including Catholics.  Not sure why they'd make a radical exception for no apparent reason...although I suppose it wouldn't be the first. :lol

I think this pretty much covers it.

-J

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2012, 08:20:16 PM »
This  is  a faithful saying: If a man desires the position of a bishop, he desires a good work. A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, temperate, sober-minded, of good behavior, hospitable, able to teach; not given to wine, not violent, not greedy for money, but gentle, not quarrelsome, not covetous; one who rules his own house well, having  his  children in submission with all reverence (for if a man does not know how to rule his own house, how will he take care of the church of God?); not a novice, lest being puffed up with pride he fall into the  same  condemnation as the devil. Moreover he must have a good testimony among those who are outside, lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil. (1 Timothy 3:1-7 NKJV)

Offline Vivace

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2012, 08:40:15 PM »

rumborak

This an other responses is why I pretty much avoid this section of the forum. What starts to be an interesting debate gets ruins by other people's rather obtuse and unwarranted spiteful opinions. It's unfortunate too, because this place section could be fun if it wasn't for this.
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2012, 08:59:47 PM »
I'm sorry, but how was my post obtuse? I was making the obvious point that a) accepting married men but b) then asking them to no longer fulfill the holy sacrament of marriage and its (according to Catholics) purpose of recreation, is just plain bizarre.

rumborak

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2012, 11:38:28 PM »
Apparently I was wrong. The RCC actually had an exception to the celibacy rule created for exactly this situation (where married pastors and Episcopal priests convert and are married). And I actually now remember reading about this; I'd just gotten part of my memory mixed up which isn't a first...

edit: Though, what I've seen so far indicates that the rule only applies to Episcopals and Lutherans. That could've changed since the articles I've seen about this are from 3-4 years ago.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2012, 04:03:13 AM »

rumborak

This an other responses is why I pretty much avoid this section of the forum. What starts to be an interesting debate gets ruins by other people's rather obtuse and unwarranted spiteful opinions. It's unfortunate too, because this place section could be fun if it wasn't for this.

I don't see anything wrong with what Rumby said....

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2012, 04:18:22 AM »
Me either.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Odysseus

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2012, 05:18:12 AM »
I'm sorry, but how was my post obtuse? I was making the obvious point that a) accepting married men but b) then asking them to no longer fulfill the holy sacrament of marriage and its (according to Catholics) purpose of recreation, is just plain bizarre.

rumborak

It wasn't obtuse, it was perfectly reasonable. 

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2012, 06:25:45 AM »
I don't think it started with Descartes, I was of the impression that it predates him by a lot. And I thought it was because the Church didn't want to have to support their families financially?
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2012, 07:51:06 AM »
I was under the impression it was done in order to not have to split the land with the offspring of the priest upon his death.

rumborak

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2012, 08:16:50 AM »
I was under the impression it was done in order to not have to split the land with the offspring of the priest upon his death.

rumborak

But I thought the initial priest couldn't get married, have their own house, or own any land...