Author Topic: The Transatlantic Tree  (Read 4131 times)

Offline darkshade

The Transatlantic Tree
« on: April 20, 2012, 10:50:00 AM »
This is the place to discuss Transatlantic and all the wonderful bands related to this powerful supergroup. There are so many of them, and they are all connected, either by musical styles, or by personnel. This was sparked by some Flower Kings discussion on Prog Archives, and the fact that their new album is coming out soon, as well as a possible new Transatlantic album later this year, not to mention a new Spock's Beard is in the works as we speak, and Neal Morse and Marillion.

Transatlantic

Dream Theater                The Flower Kings          Spock's Beard              Marillion               

Liquid Tension Experiment               Karmakanic                  Neal Morse                     Fish
                    Planet X                           Agents of Mercy              Flying Colors              Edison's Children
                Derek Sherinian                       The Tangent                    Affector
                       OSI                                   --Beardfish--
            James Labrie/MullMuzzler              Tomas Bodin
                 Jordan Rudess                         Roine Stolt
                                                                   Kaipa
                                                            Pain of Salvation
                                                           3rd World Electric
                                                        Hasse Froberg & The
                                                         Musical Companion
                                                       The Zoltan Csörsz Trio

To start things off, what are your top 10 epics by any of these bands?

Mine are:

1. Garden of Dreams (TFK)
2. The Whirlwind (TA)
3. The Truth Will Set You Free (TFK)
4. Octavarium (DT)
5. Love Is The Only Answer (TFK)
6. All of the Above (TA)
7. Duel With the Devil (TA)
8. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (DT)
9. At The End of The Day (SB)
10. Send A Message From The Heart (Karmakanic)

11. The Door - (NM)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 12:08:52 PM by darkshade »

Offline Xanthul

Re: The Transatlantic Tree
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 11:15:15 AM »
Not trying to be a party pooper, but I believe this is the topic for TA

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=114.0

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 11:22:36 AM »
It's a Very Transatlantic 2012 -
Mike Portnoy has been all over the board, with Adrenaline Mob, Flying Colors, and Portnoy/Sherinian/Sheehan/Macalpine band (and who knows what else!)
3 (possibly 4) new Neal Morse albums - Flying Colors' debut, Cover 2 Cover (Morse/Portnoy/George), Momentum (new solo album due in September), and another project that Randy George eluded to working with Neal on for this year.Spock's Beard is working on a new album, which should have some of Neal's writing on it as Al and Neal worked on material together for SB11.
Marillion have their 17th album out this year, Sounds That Can't Be Made, also due for a September release.
TFK have Banks Of Eden coming out in June, but before that, Hasse Froberg & The Musical Companion have an album out in the coming weeks.

ALL of this, along with the possibility of TA recording this year (possibly releasing, but I can wait til 2013 for the new album).

Gotta say, I haven't been this excited for new albums in a few years, especially all of these (many of my favorite bands/artists/musicians) making and releasing new music! TFK returns after a 5-year hiatus, Marillion comes back with all new material since 4 years ago (LIM is good, but save one song, is all old material), SB come out with a new line-up that promises to be a better post-traumatic-break album than FE was, Neal seems to perpetually be in the studio, and Mike is always in constant motion. I really hope Pete, Roine, and Mike can all make time to go to Neal's studio and do a week or two of recording!

As for favorite epics, I don't think I can narrow it down (or order) to a Top 10 without feeling like I'm leaving something out. It'd have to be like a Top 25 for me! :lol

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline darkshade

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 11:24:20 AM »
Not trying to be a party pooper, but I believe this is the topic for TA

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=114.0

That thread is dedicated solely to "The Whirlwind" discussion. This one is about the band itself, all related bands and artists, and the wonderful community of bands that have come out of it all. It's like 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon, but with Transatlantic. (In reality, it should be 6 degrees of Roine Stolt, but whatever)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 11:31:40 AM »
Even though he was only in the LIVE band, could we include Daniel Gildenlow/Pain Of Salvation? He was also on a couple of TFK albums as well, just to legitimize his inclusion here.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline darkshade

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 11:41:25 AM »
Even though he was only in the LIVE band, could we include Daniel Gildenlow/Pain Of Salvation? He was also on a couple of TFK albums as well, just to legitimize his inclusion here.

-Marc.

I forgot about him and POS, as well as Hasse's Musical Companion band. I'll be updating the OP with more bands that I forgot if anyone knows. I'm sure Marillion and Spock's Beard have more related bands.

I forgot Neal's new album is coming out in September. Him, TFK, TA, Marillion, SB, Beardfish, and possibly The Tangent, Dream Theater, and Transatlantic will all be coming out with new albums within the next 12 months or so  :hefdaddy

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 11:45:10 AM »
There's a new band out there with Neal's European band's drummer (Collin) and Ted Leonard (the new vocalist for SB) called Affector, and their debut album comes out soon.

As for other missing bands, just look up RS, MP, NM, and PT on Wikipedia. Pete also has Edison's Children, who just released their debut album and are currently working on new material (for an EP I think, or possibly a new album). Also, Steve Hogarth has released an album with Porcupine Tree's Richard Barbieri, which I haven't listened to yet, but it should be pretty good.

It's amazing - all the cross pollination between these bands and their members!

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 11:47:01 AM »
This is hard to do since stuff like ?, The Whirlwind and Garden of Dreams can be taken as epics or suites of songs strung together. 

But I'll go with these 10 for now:

1. All of the Above (TA)
2. Garden of Dreams (TFK)
3. Scarred (DT)
4. Stranger in Your Soul (TA)
5. Learning to Live (DT)
6. I Am the Sun (TFK)
7. Duel with the Devil (TA)
8. A Mind Beside Itself (DT)
9. The Light (SB)
10. My New World (TA)

I didn't put ? or The Whirlwind since I don't consider either of those single songs.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 11:53:31 AM »
There's a new band out there with Neal's European band's drummer (Collin) and Ted Leonard (the new vocalist for SB) called Affector, and their debut album comes out soon.

As for other missing bands, just look up RS, MP, NM, and PT on Wikipedia. Pete also has Edison's Children, who just released their debut album and are currently working on new material (for an EP I think, or possibly a new album). Also, Steve Hogarth has released an album with Porcupine Tree's Richard Barbieri, which I haven't listened to yet, but it should be pretty good.

It's amazing - all the cross pollination between these bands and their members!

-Marc.

True, I don't know if I'd include PT in all of this, as they come from a different backround. I'd have to include Opeth at that point, which goes beyond the scope of this thread.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 11:54:53 AM »
I think he meant Pete Trewavas with PT, not Porcupine Tree, but I'd keep this sweet and simple: just the four Transatlantic guys and their offshoots.  Touring members should not count.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 11:58:37 AM »
My choices:

Neverland-Marillion
Home-Dream Theater
Learning to Live-Dream Theater
Octavarium-Dream Theater
The Light-Spock's Beard
Stranger In Your Soul-Transatlantic
Duel with the Devil-Transatlantic
A Mind Beside Itself-Dream Theater
In the Name of God-Dream Theater
Ocean Cloud-Marillion

Offline darkshade

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 12:05:18 PM »
I'd keep this sweet and simple: just the four Transatlantic guys and their offshoots.  Touring members should not count.

I included Pain of Salvation as a related band to The Flower Kings, as Daniel was a full-time member of TFK at one point.

I think he meant Pete Trewavas with PT, not Porcupine Tree

LOL Woops  ::)

Offline darkshade

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 12:26:18 PM »
Honestly, I can't keep up with the productivity of all these guys. OSI released a new one this year too, Derek Sherinian did as well right before ADTOE (which was a great Jeff Beck/Jan Hammer styled jazz-fusion album, mixed with Planet X type stuff; his best album IMO).

The Hasse album, and Tomas Bodin's new one (Eggs and Dogs), the first 2 Agents of Mercy albums, and Edison's Children are just some of the albums I do not have; and most of the big boys are releasing new albums this year too. My musical mind is not complaining, but my wallet is.  :sadpanda:

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 12:32:16 PM »
Honestly, I can't keep up with the productivity of all these guys. OSI released a new one this year too, Derek Sherinian did as well right before ADTOE (which was a great Jeff Beck/Jan Hammer styled jazz-fusion album, mixed with Planet X type stuff; his best album IMO).

The Hasse album, and Tomas Bodin's new one (Eggs and Dogs), the first 2 Agents of Mercy albums, and Edison's Children are just some of the albums I do not have; and most of the big boys are releasing new albums this year too. My musical mind is not complaining, but my wallet is.  :sadpanda:

Ya gotta keep up! I've barely been keeping up as just recently got Edison's Children, but I've always pre-ordered all the TFK-related stuff: Karmakanic, AOM, HF&MC (which I just pre-ordered last week), Tomas Bodin, various Roine Stolt projects (like 3rd World Electric) - all of which are pretty good in their own right!

-Marc.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 12:46:10 PM »

Ya gotta keep up! I've barely been keeping up as just recently got Edison's Children, but I've always pre-ordered all the TFK-related stuff: Karmakanic, AOM, HF&MC (which I just pre-ordered last week), Tomas Bodin, various Roine Stolt projects (like 3rd World Electric) - all of which are pretty good in their own right!

-Marc.

I mean, Ive been trying. Ive only started getting into all these bands since 2009 (thanks to my rekindled interest in DT with BC&SL, and eventually TA's The Whirlwind, which sparked my obsessive interest in these bands), so really, since summer 2010, Ive gotten all 11 Flower Kings albums, all the Neal Morse solo-prog albums, all Karmakanic and The Tangent albums, the most recent AoM album, any new DT and TA stuff, 4 Spock's Beard albums, the last 4 Beardfish albums, Tomas Bodin's "I AM", and 3rd World Electric; ON TOP of all the other music I'm into not pertaining to this thread. I only make so much money, hehe. I also gave up being a  :yarr early last year, so I have to wait til I can afford these albums.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 12:53:32 PM by darkshade »

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2012, 01:08:29 PM »
Kudos to catching up, then! I've been on this train since 2005 when I discovered DT and TA, then eventually SB and TFK, and from there it just exploded! I'd say those bands and their related output make up a quarter of my collection!

-Marc.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2012, 01:47:55 PM »
Kudos to catching up, then! I've been on this train since 2005 when I discovered DT and TA, then eventually SB and TFK, and from there it just exploded! I'd say those bands and their related output make up a quarter of my collection!

-Marc.

Thanks. It seems like every time I acquire a new album, or finish completing a back catolog, a new album, or a band that's related I didn't know existed pops up, and I need to get it. It's great, too, because (especially in the case of TFK), many members of all these bands are on each other's albums so there is some overlap. For example, Jonas Reingold is on at least one album by most of the band's listed in the OP.
I haven't been disappointed in any of these bands' outputs, except maybe AoM's Black Forest album, but some of it was good, I just don't like Nad's vocals too much.

Offline weirdo

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2012, 02:12:26 AM »
1.DT - Octavarium
2/3.Neal Morse - The Door / The  Conflict
4.Transatlantic - All Of The Above
5.Neal Morse - ?
6.DT- A Change Of Seasons
7.Spocks Beard - Jaws Of Heaven
8.Transatlantic - Whirlwind
9.Spocks Beard - The Great Nothing
10.Spocks Beard - The Water

I haven't listened to The Flower Kings or all SB and NM albums yet though.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2012, 02:04:37 PM »
Hasse Froberg and The Musical Companion's new album is on Spotify now. I starred it, and will try to listen to it today or tomorrow; Ive been hearing good things about it.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2012, 02:16:09 PM »
With all the news coming from The Flower Kings, Dream Theater, Spock's Beard, Neal Morse, Hasse Froberg, and The Tangent, does anyone know of any news regarding the new Transatlantic album?
I know it was mentioned by Portnoy a few weeks back, but I haven't heard anything since, from any of the other members either.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2012, 02:26:36 PM »
With all the news coming from The Flower Kings, Dream Theater, Spock's Beard, Neal Morse, Hasse Froberg, and The Tangent, does anyone know of any news regarding the new Transatlantic album?
I know it was mentioned by Portnoy a few weeks back, but I haven't heard anything since, from any of the other members either.

Well considering all four members of TA have new albums/material to tour this year, it will be very VERY tricky for them to get together for even a week to record an album. Marillion and TFK have an extensive touring schedule this year (probably their most ambitious in years) and Neal plans on touring a lot, solo and with Flying Colors, also with Mike. And Mike will be touring with AM and his Sherinian project.

-Marc.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2012, 07:20:26 PM »
Well I hope they can squeeze a week or 2 in to record. I'm sure they're aware of how much the fans would love a new album soon.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2012, 08:29:18 PM »
Well I hope they can squeeze a week or 2 in to record. I'm sure they're aware of how much the fans would love a new album soon.

I think we can expect a 2013 release, no matter what. Both Mike and Neal have WAYYYY too much going on this year to worry about working on  new TA (other than just recording - there's mixing and production and getting things set-up for a tour), and with TFK and Marillion doing tours this year, it's a busy year for all the members of TA.

I think they'll do something after Christmas or New Years at the latest, so we could expect a May 2013 release, at the latest, for a new Transatlantic album, then they can play for a summer tour.

Besides, it would be a bit unfair in 2012-prog-polls if TFK, Marillion, Neal Morse, AND Transatlantic all had new studio albums out this year, along with whatever Mike Portnoy finally ends up being on (in addition to Neal Morse, Flying Colors and Adrenaline Mob).

-Marc.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2012, 08:48:17 PM »

I think we can expect a 2013 release, no matter what. Both Mike and Neal have WAYYYY too much going on this year to worry about working on  new TA (other than just recording - there's mixing and production and getting things set-up for a tour), and with TFK and Marillion doing tours this year, it's a busy year for all the members of TA.

I think they'll do something after Christmas or New Years at the latest, so we could expect a May 2013 release, at the latest, for a new Transatlantic album, then they can play for a summer tour.

Besides, it would be a bit unfair in 2012-prog-polls if TFK, Marillion, Neal Morse, AND Transatlantic all had new studio albums out this year, along with whatever Mike Portnoy finally ends up being on (in addition to Neal Morse, Flying Colors and Adrenaline Mob).

-Marc.

and Spock's Beard, even though Neal's not in the band. But still...

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2012, 08:55:56 PM »

-Marc.

and Spock's Beard, even though Neal's not in the band. But still...

True, but it seems that SB11 will have Neal in the credits due to writing with Al, so it seems we'll have a bit more Neal on the next SB album!

-Marc.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2012, 10:24:59 AM »
First thing I decided to listen to today was Transatlantic - "The Whirlwind" Bonus Disc, and it's really enjoyable, especially when not considering the main album. By itself, it's some enjoyable prog, and is really a nice mix of TFK and SB/Morse with DT drumming. And you still get The Whirlwind theme in there with Such A Time.

As for the covers, they're just alright, but the Santana cover is the best!

Offline darkshade

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2012, 11:35:59 AM »
Transatlantic's All Of The Above (and the entire SMPTe album) never fails to put a big friggin smile on my face

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2012, 09:03:29 PM »
So Agents of Mercy have recently covered "A Man Can Feel", and Defence Of The Realm (Jem Godfrey/Pete Trewavas/John Mitchell) have covered "Camouflaged In Blue" ("All Of The Above"), and of course Neal has covered a lot of Transatlantic.

Have Roine or Pete covered other TA anywhere else that I'm not aware of? It's always interesting to hear members of TA take TA's music out with other instrumentalists, and now I'm curious to hear if Flying Colors will cover one or two TA tunes on their upcoming tour.

-Marc.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2012, 10:03:15 PM »
I'd love to hear The Flower King's take on a Transatlantic song, especially with Jonas on the bass.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2012, 10:07:09 PM »
I'd love to hear The Flower King's take on a Transatlantic song, especially with Jonas on the bass.

"My New World", especially if TA themselves don't bring it back on their next tour (whenever that may be). Or perhaps "Spinning", as it's less likely for that song to be played by TA than "My New World". Actually, "Spinning" would work because Roine is the only vocalist on that song, although it'd be interesting to hear Hasse cover Neal's vocals on "My New World".

-Marc.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2012, 01:44:26 PM »
How would you guys feel if they let Daniel become the 5th member? I think it'd be fine, because I think Neal and Roine would still be the main writers, but allowing Daniel's voice would add some much needed color in their music.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2012, 02:25:07 PM »
How would you guys feel if they let Daniel become the 5th member? I think it'd be fine, because I think Neal and Roine would still be the main writers, but allowing Daniel's voice would add some much needed color in their music.

Bring him in for the over-dubs process. I think Neal and Roine (and Pete) can write (vocal) parts specifically for Daniel's voice and range, and then just bring him in to record them. Also, any other over-dubs could be done by him, either on keys, percussion or guitars. Otherwise, I think the chemistry between Mike, Neal, Roine and Pete is important to keep the same. Adding a 5th voice in the writing process might muddle things up a bit, if not making it downright confusing and a case of too-many-chefs-in-the-kitchen.

Like I said, though, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Daniel do some post-writing recording with them after they've finished writing the album.

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2012, 08:28:37 AM »

This idea gets a big fat NO from me.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2012, 09:26:09 AM »
I like Letter M's idea of having him sing a few parts, lead or harmony. I just think his voice sounds great in the context of Transatlantic or The Flower Kings (never been much into PoS).

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2012, 05:17:11 PM »
BUMP with a new and exciting survey!

Name your favorite album released featuring a member of Transatlantic between the releases of Bridge Across Forever and The Whirlwind, that is, any studio album released between October 9th, 2001 and October 23rd, 2009.

Roine Stolt - TFK's Unfold The Future OR Paradox Hotel (I couldn't decide)
Neal Morse - Spock's Beard's Snow (although One, 2-Disc SE is a close second)
Mike Portnoy - Dream Theater's Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence
Pete Trewavas - Marillion's Marbles (although Kino's Picture is a close second)

-Marc.