General > Political and Religious

"Right to Privacy" Abortion Analogy

<< < (17/19) > >>

7thHanyou:

--- Quote from: hefdaddy42 on April 21, 2012, 04:04:12 AM ---I am personally anti-abortion, in that I cannot conceive of a situation happening in my life where I would want one to be performed (which I realize is easy to say until you get into such a situation).  However, I am strongly against Roe V. Wade being overturned.

Besides other reasons for keeping it, to me it is settled law, and there are other, better things on which to spend one's time, where progress can actually be made.

--- End quote ---
  The implications of the court overturning Roe v. Wade would be severe.  It is settled law, and it has created precedent.

Fortunately, the court has overturned settled law before, so if they ever chose to, I'm sure everyone could manage just fine.

I will say that abortion isn't an issue that has any influence on anything I can vote for.  There are far more vital issues to me at the federal level with much more dire implications.  This may just be because I can't bring myself to be very emotionally invested in it, regardless of my belief in the ethics of abortion.

Scheavo:

--- Quote from: hefdaddy42 on April 21, 2012, 04:04:12 AM ---Besides other reasons for keeping it, to me it is settled law, and there are other, better things on which to spend one's time, where progress can actually be made.

--- End quote ---

But you can't score cheap political points this way.

That, and pro-lifers generally abhor the idea of letting gay couples adopt, even though letting gay couples adopt (and marry) could do a lot.

orcus116:

--- Quote from: Omega on April 20, 2012, 01:58:40 PM ---
--- Quote from: orcus116 on April 19, 2012, 09:45:08 PM ---How moral is it to continue the life of something you know will only suffer until it eventually dies on its own? You can pretend that it was a wise and correct decision to let someone live but is it not even acceptable when their only life experience will involve suffering and hardship? To me that is an incredibly cruel and unfair fate.

--- End quote ---

Are you talking about the scenario of a baby who is destined to die in a matter of hours after birth due to complications, given if the baby survives the birth?

Are you saying that we might as well apportion abortions to women of low income or poor life whose babies you believe would be destined to live a less-than-ideal life should they be allowed to be born? Deciding which people should be born on the basis of an individual's uncertain opinion on what their future may or may not be is the epitome of presumption. If one supports this with unborn people, then one could reasonably end another human being's life without discretion or consent merely for believing that their death would be preferable to their hypothetically miserable life (as in euthenizing homeless, mad amputees in the name of delivering them from what one thinks is their "miserable" life).

--- End quote ---

The first one.

rumborak:
There is also the aspect that if one were to completely outlaw abortions, the percentage of women who would still choose to do it would be forced to get it in foreign countstandard (e.g. Mexico) with questionable medical standards. It would be naive to think that outlawing it would stop all abortions, so there's that tradeoff where saving potential people will kill actual ones.

rumborak

7thHanyou:

--- Quote from: rumborak on April 21, 2012, 01:22:11 PM ---There is also the aspect that if one were to completely outlaw abortions, the percentage of women who would still choose to do it would be forced to get it in foreign countstandard (e.g. Mexico) with questionable medical standards. It would be naive to think that outlawing it would stop all abortions, so there's that tradeoff where saving potential people will kill actual ones.

rumborak

--- End quote ---

Of course, the general pro-life argument isn't that fetuses are potential people, but that they're people, and their right to life overrides the woman's property right over her own body.

The question of whether women would go to great lengths to get an abortion even if there were a law against it is ultimately irrelevant if abortion is the moral equivalent to the murder of a child.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version