General > Political and Religious

"Right to Privacy" Abortion Analogy

(1/19) > >>

Omega:
One of the most common arguments for abortion is that a woman has a "right to privacy" or "right to body."

Here's an analogy I thought of:

Bill and Adam were sitting on the edge of a cliff. Bill suddenly began to fall, so he put his hand on Adam's shoulder to balance himself. Adam was in no danger of falling. However, Adam didn't allow Bill to have the privilege of touching him, so he pushed Bill's hand off of him, knowing full well that it would result in Bill's death. Adam allowed Bill to die, simply because he didn't want Bill to have access to his body. Does Adam sound like a decent man?

theseoafs:

--- Quote from: Omega on April 19, 2012, 01:53:35 PM ---Does Adam sound like a descent man?

--- End quote ---
No, Bill is the one who's descending here. :neverusethis:

Omega:

--- Quote from: theseoafs on April 19, 2012, 01:59:22 PM ---
--- Quote from: Omega on April 19, 2012, 01:53:35 PM ---Does Adam sound like a descent man?

--- End quote ---
No, Bill is the one who's descending here. :neverusethis:

--- End quote ---

:justjen Fixed :blush

the Catfishman:
That would work if Bill was a lump of cells.

(or in other words.. I think most of the discussion is whether/when you considerer a lump of cells 'life').

theseoafs:
The right to privacy & body defenses for abortion were never convincing to me, by the by. It's unclear what these rights mean, whether we even have them (as they're not enumerated specifically anywhere), how a pregnancy would infringe on these rights -- it just doesn't work. Other defenses for abortion can be spectacularly more convincing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version