Author Topic: Devin Townsend v. Do You Feel Like A Bit Of Fun?  (Read 249750 times)

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Devin Townsend v. Do You Feel Like A Bit Of Fun?
« Reply #2590 on: October 06, 2014, 10:31:05 PM »
I'll be at the Gas Monkey two days later for Opeth.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline adace

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #2592 on: October 07, 2014, 08:20:52 AM »
Great review!  I can't wait to listen to it!!

I know i am probably just smoking crack, but GOD i wish Anneke would tour with him, but i know she's doing "The Sirens" tour in Europe at the same time.  :(
You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #2593 on: October 07, 2014, 11:08:11 AM »
Awesome review!

Offline adace

« Reply #2594 on: October 07, 2014, 11:37:01 AM »
Thanks for the positive comments guys! They mean a lot to me! :tup

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #2595 on: October 07, 2014, 11:46:32 AM »
Can you try to "explain" Deathday to us? Is it representative of Dark Matters?

I'm somewhat negatively surprised, the songwriting feels wrong for Ziltoid. It's very poppy, more like something I would have expected on Sky Blue (sans the "evil" tonality).

Offline adace

« Reply #2596 on: October 07, 2014, 11:52:29 AM »
Can you try to "explain" Deathday to us? Is it representative of Dark Matters?

I'm somewhat negatively surprised, the songwriting feels wrong for Ziltoid. It's very poppy, more like something I would have expected on Sky Blue (sans the "evil" tonality).
That one and From Sleep Awake are the odd songs out on Dark Matters. You're definitely right that it would have fit better on Sky Blue. It's a good song but it's somewhat weak compared to the rest of Dark Matters.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #2597 on: October 07, 2014, 12:34:33 PM »
Nice to hear. I don't mind having some odd songs on an album to mix things up, I was just afraid that the whole Dark Matters disc would be so poppy.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2598 on: October 07, 2014, 12:38:31 PM »
I need this in my life.

Pls. nao.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #2599 on: October 07, 2014, 07:19:16 PM »
I need this in my life.

Pls. nao.

This. I've already preordered and stuff, but I need an official stream or leak or something!

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #2600 on: October 08, 2014, 05:39:16 AM »
Here's a long interview GetYourRockOut.co.uk did with Devin: https://youtu.be/RQDIUEaMl74

Offline adace

« Reply #2601 on: October 08, 2014, 08:06:59 PM »
1:30 samples are up on Itunes UK.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #2602 on: October 08, 2014, 08:53:40 PM »

Oh man, one of the track leaks I heard had Devin doing all the vocals, but now these samples have Anneke doing them.

I'm kind of dissapointed  :-\

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #2603 on: October 08, 2014, 09:23:51 PM »
Oh geez, the sample for "Through The Wormhole" had me cracking up  :lol :lol :rollin
Just a warning though, it does contain plot spoilers, for those who care!
This is going to be an incredible album.  :heart

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #2604 on: October 08, 2014, 09:52:52 PM »

Oh man, one of the track leaks I heard had Devin doing all the vocals, but now these samples have Anneke doing them.

I know exactly the track you're talking about. Someone tweeted to Dev about it earlier and he said he just got tired of hearing his vocals on the song. He also said that he'll release the version with his vocals for free later on.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2605 on: October 08, 2014, 10:23:12 PM »

Universal Flame?

Also, here's a link for the samples.
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/z2/id922916587

The title track for Sky Blue sounds fantastic.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #2606 on: October 08, 2014, 10:27:53 PM »

Universal Flame?

No

Fallout

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2607 on: October 08, 2014, 10:45:49 PM »
The previews sound glorious.

Well, I already knew they sounded like that. It's good to be sure, tho.  :heart ____  :heart   
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2608 on: October 09, 2014, 11:00:19 AM »
Holy crap, From Sleep Awake is the song that played during the Retinal Circus DVD menu. :o
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #2609 on: October 14, 2014, 10:55:36 AM »

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #2610 on: October 14, 2014, 12:41:53 PM »
POOPY BOOBY MAN
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Onno

« Reply #2611 on: October 14, 2014, 01:24:01 PM »
That was amazing  :rollin :rollin

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #2612 on: October 14, 2014, 10:22:44 PM »
"Pickle Factory!"  :lol
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #2613 on: October 15, 2014, 08:55:23 AM »
I wrote a review of Dark Matters! If you're interested, https://dunwichreviews.wordpress.com/2014/10/15/z2-dark-matters-by-the-devin-townsend-project/ .
It's my first review, like, ever and I'm still trying to figure out format and flow. Any advice is welcome!

A review for Sky Blue is coming shortly as well.

EDIT: Sky Blue Review
https://dunwichreviews.wordpress.com/2014/10/16/z2-sky-blue-by-the-devin-townsend-project/
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 11:10:07 AM by Scard »

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #2614 on: October 15, 2014, 09:33:14 AM »
I hate that I seem to have to be "that guy", but I honestly don't think the new album is going to live up to its hype.  The first couple spins will be great because of the halo effect (your favorite artists can do no wrong) but it lost its legs pretty fast for me.  The story isn't as well crafted this time, and stretches to make references to the first album.  This might be the most homogeneous of Devin's work in a long time, SYL not withstanding.  I just don't get all the 9 and 10 reviews, other than people tend to overrate everything.  I don't expect any of you to believe me, just like no one believed me when I tried to tell everyone that Kaleidoscope was going to be a step down for Transatlantic.  This isn't bad, its just not "WOWSUPERAWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!YEAH!!!!!!!" as you would like to believe, particularly after 10+ spins.

Offline Onno

« Reply #2615 on: October 15, 2014, 11:50:55 AM »
Thanks, Doc. I'll see what I think of it when I get the CDs. I've only heard the Universal Choir stuff so far because I participated on it.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #2616 on: October 15, 2014, 12:24:33 PM »
I hate that I seem to have to be "that guy", but I honestly don't think the new album is going to live up to its hype.  The first couple spins will be great because of the halo effect (your favorite artists can do no wrong) but it lost its legs pretty fast for me.  The story isn't as well crafted this time, and stretches to make references to the first album.  This might be the most homogeneous of Devin's work in a long time, SYL not withstanding.  I just don't get all the 9 and 10 reviews, other than people tend to overrate everything.  I don't expect any of you to believe me, just like no one believed me when I tried to tell everyone that Kaleidoscope was going to be a step down for Transatlantic.  This isn't bad, its just not "WOWSUPERAWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!YEAH!!!!!!!" as you would like to believe, particularly after 10+ spins.

I admit I haven't heard it yet except for Deathray, but thank you for keeping some grounded perspective here Dr. DTVT.  I agree that all too often initial reviews are way too enthusiastic.  DT12 being case in point.  I like having more realistic expectations.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2617 on: October 15, 2014, 12:31:03 PM »
My expectations aren't super high as is, cause I thought Ziltoid was good, but not great, and with him revisiting the same type of thing, I am just not that excited about it.

It probably doesn't help either that I cannot get enough of Casualties of Cool lately, and him topping it this soon after its release seems fairy unlikely.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #2618 on: October 15, 2014, 01:09:57 PM »

I admit I haven't heard it yet except for Deathray, but thank you for keeping some grounded perspective here Dr. DTVT.  I agree that all too often initial reviews are way too enthusiastic.  DT12 being case in point.  I like having more realistic expectations.

Thank you for getting it.  I just don't think either album, or both as a whole, are top 5 albums for Devin.  Again, that's not bad, but I think people will get more long term enjoyment out of it if they have realistic expectations.

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #2619 on: October 15, 2014, 02:17:09 PM »
The more I listen I'm digging Sky Blue more. I find the dialogue on Dark Matters distracting over repeated listens. I've listened to each about 4 times now.

I think the CD without dialogue might have its merits for appreciating the songs over time, while the CD with dialogue will be a novel once in a while thing.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2620 on: October 15, 2014, 10:26:52 PM »
Dr....it's not living up to the internet hype. Surely it'll be an excellent record in Devs repertoire.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #2621 on: October 16, 2014, 02:40:19 AM »

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm really not at all hyped up for the second Ziltoid album - it's Sky Blue that looking forward to most, by some way.

The part of the first Ziltoid album that the follow up seems to be aping throughout is the part I find least interesting - the first three songs where the comedic, literal story about Ziltoid coming to earth is played up. After that the first album gets much more interesting as the story is shunted into the background and the album becomes more abstract, more wistful melancholy, more semi-autobiographical about his career up until then (I believe).

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2622 on: October 16, 2014, 05:15:30 AM »
God, I hope it's better than Kaleidoscope.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #2623 on: October 16, 2014, 11:32:36 AM »
Yeah, Sky Blue's what I'm really looking forward to. If the Ziltoid albums was full of tracks in the vein of Hyperdrive and Solar Winds, I'd be all over that shit. Those are the only two songs I listen to from that album anymore.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Jinkies

« Reply #2624 on: October 16, 2014, 11:42:37 AM »
Yeah, Sky Blue's what I'm really looking forward to. If the Ziltoid albums was full of tracks in the vein of Hyperdrive and Solar Winds, I'd be all over that shit. Those are the only two songs I listen to from that album anymore.

Those two, Colour Your World and The Greys. Anything in the style of those tunes I'd love. What I've heard so far isn't really exciting me though. I definitely think there's such a thing as too much material from at artist. He knocked it out of the park with Casualties, but I'm kinda just hearing Devy-by-numbers here.