Author Topic: Necronomicron (My Stoner Metal Project Unveiled!) Feedback needed!  (Read 2935 times)

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
So I haven't told a whole bunch of people about this, but I'm writing an album of stoner rock/metal music.
I don't have a band, so I've written, played, and sang everything, and the drums I programmed. This is a sample of what I've got so far. Keep in mind they're still demos really.

Feedback is greatly appreciated!

https://tindeck.com/listen/yqzc

Edit: I've never sang anything until this project.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 07:45:48 PM by Scard »

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
Re: Necronomicron (My Stoner Metal Project Unveiled!) Feedback needed!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 11:20:43 PM »
Essentially a self-bump, but I've more or less finished the album.

https://tindeck.com/listen/chfn  this is the opening track called Tidal Serenade. If there's good reception I'll put more or the rest up.

9 tracks total

Offline tartarus250

• peace love and good happyness stuff
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 01:31:05 PM »
i enjoyed that nicely played and all the instuments were nicely in balance with eachother looking forward to hearing more  :metal i am looking forward to hearing some singing :corn
The creation and destruction of harmonic and 'statistical' tensions is essential to the maintenance of compositional drama. Any composition (or improvisation) which remains consonant and 'regular' throughout is, for me, equivalent to watching a movie with only 'good guys' in it, or eating cottage cheese.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 01:42:56 PM »
Hey man, that sounds pretty cool.   :hat

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 05:55:34 PM »
https://tindeck.com/users/elscardo  here's where I've been posting them all

There are 5 so far, and I'm doing 1/day for the next 4 days.

Hope you enjoy!   Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated in any aspect of the project :)

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 05:40:19 PM »
The "stoner metal" description made me think I was going to hear something akin to Black Sabbath's Master of Reality. :lol This doesn't sound anything like that! I'm listening to Tidal Serenade right now, I really like the note choices you made here. The dissonance makes it pretty dark sounding.

EDIT: Cthulhu Rises sounds like Master of Reality though. So I guess your description fits more there. :P

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 08:43:53 PM »
The "stoner metal" description made me think I was going to hear something akin to Black Sabbath's Master of Reality. :lol This doesn't sound anything like that! I'm listening to Tidal Serenade right now, I really like the note choices you made here. The dissonance makes it pretty dark sounding.

EDIT: Cthulhu Rises sounds like Master of Reality though. So I guess your description fits more there. :P

Yeah haha  it bounces around a bit. I couldn't quite write riffs like Iommi. It's pretty stoner/doom though I think?

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 11:40:50 AM »

Yeah haha  it bounces around a bit. I couldn't quite write riffs like Iommi. It's pretty stoner/doom though I think?

It could definitely fall under that category. The vocals on Cthulhu Rises reminds me of Electric Funeral and Hand of Doom.

EDIT: Just noticed it's played on a C#-tuned guitar, if I'm correct? That's fucking Sabbath.

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 02:13:06 PM »

It could definitely fall under that category. The vocals on Cthulhu Rises reminds me of Electric Funeral and Hand of Doom.

EDIT: Just noticed it's played on a C#-tuned guitar, if I'm correct? That's fucking Sabbath.

haha yeah it totally is. I initially wrote it all in C, but then changed strings and decided to try C# instead and I liked it better

Offline Basekick

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 10:37:18 PM »
Hey man, I'm definitely digging this!  I'm listening to your album right now, on #2 Cthulhu Rises, and I'm seriously feeling this! :metal :metal

You're doing a great job singing, and fits in smoothly with the huge pummeling guitars.  There are some really sick ideas and riffs in here, and I don't say that too often, trust me!

Keep it up man!
"10,000 hours of practice - not talent - creates virtuosos."

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 11:59:55 PM »
Hey man, I'm definitely digging this!  I'm listening to your album right now, on #2 Cthulhu Rises, and I'm seriously feeling this! :metal :metal

You're doing a great job singing, and fits in smoothly with the huge pummeling guitars.  There are some really sick ideas and riffs in here, and I don't say that too often, trust me!

Keep it up man!

Thanks man! Means a lot!

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 03:29:01 AM »
This is fucking awesome man, I want to send this into Decibel for them to drool over!  :metal

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 10:23:01 AM »
This is fucking awesome man, I want to send this into Decibel for them to drool over!  :metal

That would be pretty hilarious, if you have a hookup there. Other than that I don't really know what to do with the material.

I don't currently have a band or anything.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 11:12:00 PM »
I don't :P  But they're always taking in submissions, hell even Metalsucks is, and if they like it they mention it.  That's one of my goals as an aspiring musician, to be mentioned in Decibel, even for just a short paragraph.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 05:52:53 AM »
Is Bruce Campbell gonna be part of your live band?
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline fps

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2012, 09:42:16 AM »
C# is definitely the best bottom note for all rock and metal, cos that's what my band uses! I'm listening to Tidal Serenade, this sure ain't stoner doom (anything with those words in the title will make me listen) but it is very enjoyable, and clearly although it's with a drum machine etc it's been made with a lot of care and skill. Gonna listen through I think, digging it.  :metal
DEATH APE DISCO DEBUT ALBUM STREAMING IN FULL -------------------> https://deathapedisco.bandcamp.com/
Like Clutch, Down, Alice In Chains? \m/

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2012, 02:26:59 PM »
C# is definitely the best bottom note for all rock and metal, cos that's what my band uses! I'm listening to Tidal Serenade, this sure ain't stoner doom (anything with those words in the title will make me listen) but it is very enjoyable, and clearly although it's with a drum machine etc it's been made with a lot of care and skill. Gonna listen through I think, digging it.  :metal

Thank you! I appreciate your comments and taking the time to listen. I guess I considered it stoner metal because almost all of the influences to write the music were sludge and stoner.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2012, 02:31:33 PM »
Great stuff, thanks for bumping this fps! I don't really like the vocals that much, but other than that, it was a very enjoyable listen.

Is there an album name and album art? If there is, I'll add it to my library, but I'm kinda anal about stuff like that, so that's a must. Otherwise it'll collect e-dust in my folder of music that I haven't added to my library yet. :)
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2012, 02:33:16 PM »
The Album name and Artist are both Necronomicron. As far as art, I'll come up with somethin...

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2012, 02:48:46 PM »

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2012, 02:49:14 PM »
:lol

Works for me.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2013, 11:05:57 AM »
Bump because this is fucking awesome. I'm not completely sold on the vocals, but whenever it's instrumental, it's amazing. Tidal Serenade = :hefdaddy

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2013, 01:35:04 AM »
Bump because this is fucking awesome. I'm not completely sold on the vocals, but whenever it's instrumental, it's amazing. Tidal Serenade = :hefdaddy

I understand 100%. It was my first time doing vocals for ANYTHING. Like, next to no practice because I didn't really know how. Thanks so much for your comments, though. I'm mostly an instrumentalist, and complimenting that makes me feel great!