Author Topic: Xanthul's boring and unimaginative Roulette - Zantera wins!!  (Read 21658 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Xanthul's boring and unimaginative Roulette - Round 3
« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2012, 10:26:25 AM »
So when we gettin' results?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2012, 10:30:28 AM »
Wow, didn't realize it's been a week! I'll send one now, sorry guys!

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2012, 11:20:11 PM »
black_floyd's submission is missing, I sent him a PM. If I don't receive it during the day I may post results tonight regardless and advance to the next round, judging his 3rd round together with the 4th, like we did with Elite in the first.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2012, 11:24:58 PM »
black_floyd's submission is missing, I sent him a PM. If I don't receive it during the day I may post results tonight regardless and advance to the next round, judging his 3rd round together with the 4th, like we did with Elite in the first.

yeah it's been a week, i'd say go for it.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #74 on: April 30, 2012, 05:26:19 AM »
Round 3 results! 0 to 5 for the song itself, 0 to 5 for the drumming. DISCLAIMER: like I said I'm no drummer so I have absolutely ZERO idea about drumming. My comments are probably technically off or whatever, I'm just describing how much I like it and how it makes me feel.

Zantera - Between the Buried and Me - Specular Reflection (9 points + 1 point for BTBAM)

The song: Pretty good... an 11 minute song is a lot to digest in a single listen but the vocals were pretty good (yeah, that includes the harsh vocals) and the heavy / mellow dinamics were also nice. I guess they should remind me of Opeth but the guitar tone and harsh vocal styles are different enough that they don't really remind me of them. There are so many different sections here that the song feels almost like a suite - and the amazing thing is all of them are brilliant. Four points out of five only because I'm not used to this style of harsh vocals, but I NEED to check these guys out.
The drumming: It's complicated to focus only on the drums for 11 straight minutes but the drumming is really tight here. The song goes through so many different phases yet the drumming always fits perfectly and enhances the mood of each section. If I had to judge from this one song, I'd say this is a pretty versatile guy. I especially enjoyed the ambient-ish section around the five minute mark, the varied fills, the faster heavy sections... just an excellent job all around. Five out of five - hits the spot.

Ultimetalhead - Andromeda - Chameleon Carneval (6 points)

The song: Even though this is not my style of music anymore I have to admit I enjoyed this song. The fast tempo kept it interesting throughout and the solos don't go overboard so it didn't make me feel tired of it which is what usually happens with this kind of stuff. Even though I have listened to only two or three songs by LTE, it kind of reminded me of them. Three points out of five.
The drumming: Very solid drumming, fast when needed and calmer and groovier on quieter sections. I especially enjoyed the little drumming interlude in the middle of the track and the little breakdowns throughout. Three out of five.

ReaperKK - Dave Matthews Band - Lying in the Hands of God (9 points)

The song: The only thing I have ever heard by these guys is a remix of their "When the world ends" in the Matrix sountrack that I quite enjoyed. This was very different, I wasn't expecting such a relaxed and groovy song. I have been listening to other submissions in between listens to this one but still I keep the groove in my head, very good submission. Five out of five, outstanding.
The drumming: Groovy fella right here, even though it was really hard to focus on just the drumming because the song was so dreamy that I was drifting half the time. I love how he stands back when it's time for other instruments to shine. The one thing keeping it from five points is that the fillers feel kind of repetitive after a while. Four out of five.

LLTWM - King Crimson - Indiscipline (7 points)

The song: Weird as fuck doesn't even begin to describe the song. It's a good kind of weird however, I was afraid that this would be more of a classic style of prog with overcomplicated instrumental sections and wankery, but it was a lot more experimental than that. In the end, "I like it!" so four out of five.
The drumming: This was also very hard to judge - the overall crazyness going on made it very hard to focus on the drums. On the fourth listen or so when I finally managed to do so I could appreciate the nice pattern that sounds kind of like a pendulum or something - I can't really describe it, it's like it goes back and forth with itself. It really must be a hard job to keep the instrumental passages together, the riff is barely discernable so it's all on the drums to keep a sense of tempo going on. Three out of five.

obscure - John Scofield - Drop and Roll (7 points)

The song: Although I wouldn't mind getting into the genre, I'm not much of a jazz expert. The song was pretty cool, it has a nice groove and the guitar work is excellent. The length is enough to let the groove shine, leaving enough time for variation and solos to make it interesting before it becomes repetitive. Four points out of five.
The drumming: The first pattern is really awesome - my only grip is that it is repeated through the first half of the song with very little variation. I get the feeling that the song is meant to be a guitar work, allowing less space for other instruments to shine. The last couple of minutes are better in that regard - overall I give it three points out of five.

kári - And so I watch you from afar - Don't waste time doing things you hate ( points)

The song: Great title! The mood of the song seems to match it too, it's kind of uplifting which is a change of pace from the post-rock I've heard until now which was mostly depressing and lowtempo. Even though the song lasts 7 minutes it never feels too long since there are so many different sections and riffs going on. The vocal touches are great too, adding a different twist without adding lyrics. Excellent song, four points.
The drumming: The drumming in the first half is solid (good fills, nice galloping during certain sections) but not outstanding. However, like you said yourself in the second half when the funky stuff beings they start shining a lot more, grabbing the song by the balls and forcing it to become *happy*. Excellent, four points out of five.

Gorille85 - Brad Mehldau - Paranoid Android (8 points)

The song: I would have never expected a jazz cover of a Radiohead song, very surprising to say the least. From my limited musical knowledge I'd say this is a brilliant interpretation of the original song. Some parts are clearly recognizable and others are lush, almost improvisational passages. This kind of passages I can't fully appreciate yet, I guess I would need more listens and some more experience in the genre to be able to appreciate them fully, but I still enjoy them. Four points out of five.
The drumming: I love the lounge-y feeling during the first couple of minutes of the song, it's very relaxing and suits the music perfectly. The chaos during the busier passages is harder to judge (is there additional percussion beyond the drummer?) but there is some varied stuff there - sometimes it sounds latin influenced and sometimes it sounds almost like a big band. Four points out of five.

Elite - Planet X - Alien Hip Hop (7 points)

The song: Good old Derek! Trial of Tears and Lines in the Sand are two of the few DT songs I still love and the hearing Derek's characteristic keyboard sound in this song brings that love back. All the instruments are awesome to tell you the truth but the odd sections near the end of the song are kind of a downer for me, they feel complex for the sake of it. 3 points, would have been a four without the last couple of minutes.
The drumming: Donati was one of the drummers I was rooting for when the auditions happened, I felt he was really unique and it was clear that he *breathes* odd time signatures. He knows when to restraint and play a simple beat and when to go all out with complex fills. Drumming wise this and BTBAM are the best submissions of the round, but I didn't get that "I want to be the drummer in this band" feeling with this one so it's four points. Donati is still a beast though.

black_floyd -  - ( points)

The song:
The drumming:

As you can see, there wasn't much variety in the drumming scores - nothing was bad enough to warrant a 0, 1 or 2 and only one was so outstanding that deserved a 5. Solid round by everyone.

Rankings:

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #75 on: April 30, 2012, 05:26:35 AM »
Round 4: We're back to difficult themes. I've always wanted to be the cool kid that could say "I was a fan before they got big". In this round, I want something from an artist that has one single album. Couple of rules: EPs don't count (so you can send something by a band that has 1 full album and 2 EPs) and the band has to be active (otherwise I won't be able to brag about knowing them since the start, y'know).

I know this is a harsh theme and you might not even know such a band (I know I don't). If that's the case, feel free to send me a band with more albums (up to 3) - I trust that you will try to fulfill the theme requirement first and only send such a band if you really don't have anything.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: Xanthul's boring and unimaginative Roulette - Round 3 results up!
« Reply #76 on: April 30, 2012, 05:31:09 AM »
Glad you liked BTBAM! :) This next round sounds really interesting. I'm gonna have to think a bit about it, and hopefully I wont disappoint.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #77 on: April 30, 2012, 05:32:59 AM »
Yeah, I almost gave them a 10 (5+5) but the first two or three minutes of harsh vocals are still a bit hard to digest for me. I trust that I will end up loving them though, just like it happened with Opeth. The softer sections and the instrumental breakdowns were incredible.

What album by these guys should I check out first? I've heard good things about Colors but maybe there is some other preferred order to get into their discography.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #78 on: April 30, 2012, 05:43:44 AM »
Yeah, I almost gave them a 10 (5+5) but the first two or three minutes of harsh vocals are still a bit hard to digest for me. I trust that I will end up loving them though, just like it happened with Opeth. The softer sections and the instrumental breakdowns were incredible.

What album by these guys should I check out first? I've heard good things about Colors but maybe there is some other preferred order to get into their discography.

Colors is generally regarded their best, it's my personal favorite as well. To be honest they've become a bit more prog over the last years, (the song I sent is from the latest EP), but I guess you could work your way backwards, and either you love all of the discography, or you wont like the first, or maybe the first two albums since they are more heavy, less soft so to speak. :P
It's tricky, I think both Colors and The Great Misdirect would work well as starting albums.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: April 30, 2012, 06:26:31 AM »
Awesome glad you liked DMB, check out Before These Crowded Streets if you want some more drumming goodness.

This round is going to be hard, the active part is going to be tough to find . . .

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #80 on: April 30, 2012, 07:01:07 AM »
I sent a song, hopefully you will like it!

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #81 on: April 30, 2012, 09:12:35 AM »
Sending in a second.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #82 on: April 30, 2012, 09:19:11 AM »
Oh, wow! Glad you actually liked it, because I wasn't sure about it. I'll have to look into this next theme though, for it could prove difficult  :P
I just found out that the band I wanted to send released their second album last month. Crap.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #83 on: April 30, 2012, 11:46:42 AM »
But I found something else. Sent!
Squ

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: May 01, 2012, 04:31:56 AM »
Sent!

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: May 01, 2012, 06:02:38 AM »
Sent

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #86 on: May 01, 2012, 06:53:44 AM »
SENT

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #87 on: May 01, 2012, 07:07:45 AM »
Everyone except LLTWM and black_floyd already sent, maybe I will be able to post results tomorrow night.

Interesting round, I think there will be some surprises and ranking distances may shorten...

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #88 on: May 01, 2012, 07:21:03 AM »
I would love to keep a distance in the top, but that will be pretty hard. I don't expect to score high every round, but as long as you actually like the stuff and feel some urge to check it out further, then I feel like I have succeeded even if I'm not the highest on the score. :)

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #89 on: May 02, 2012, 05:08:05 PM »
I'm still missing black_floyd submissions for rounds 3 and 4 and LLTWM for round 4... I already have the rest of the songs judged and written so if I don't get any song by tomorrow I will probably post away and add those to the pending submissions list.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #90 on: May 02, 2012, 06:09:41 PM »
Rounds 3 and 4 sent.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #91 on: May 02, 2012, 10:11:25 PM »
I can't really think of a one-album band I think you'd like... I'll go for a band with 2-3 then. I'll think of something in a sec.

EDIT: Nevermind, thought of a possible 1 album one.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #92 on: May 03, 2012, 01:36:36 AM »
Cool, thanks everyone. I'm at work now, I'll try to squeeze three listens for each of the three submissions I have to judge and post the results today.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #93 on: May 03, 2012, 01:57:58 AM »
Round 3 results for black_floyd

black_floyd - Primus - To Defy the Laws of Tradition (7 points)

The song: The riff is pretty good but I feel that it's repeated too much, a little bit of variation would have been nice. The vocals are somewhat weird, it's a very different voice and singing style to what I'm used for but I didn't dislike it. I guess I should check something more by these guys to get a clear picture of what they are about. Three points out of five.
The drumming: I have to admit the first couple of listens didn't do much for me in this regard, I thought the drumming was repetitive. However, when I focused on the drums for a whole listen I started appreciating the little fills here and there and the subtle double bass work that is going on. I was between a 3 and a 4 here but since I feel the song deserves a 7 overall, I will give it four points out of five.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 02:34:08 AM by Xanthul »

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #94 on: May 03, 2012, 02:04:24 AM »
Will be interesting with the results. I am excited.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: May 03, 2012, 05:51:51 AM »
I can't really think of a one-album band I think you'd like... I'll go for a band with 2-3 then. I'll think of something in a sec.

EDIT: Nevermind, thought of a possible 1 album one.

I didn't even notice the 2-3 album limit, I guess I just glossed over it, anyway, this band was a roll of the dice but hopefully you'll dig it.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #96 on: May 03, 2012, 09:37:58 AM »
Round 4 results! Shit just got real

Zantera - The Safety Fire - Grind the Ocean (5 points)
Oh, how the mighty have fallen. As you said, sooner or later you were bound to get a low score and it looks like this was it. The song started promising with some excellent drumming and a nice spacey feeling to it. The vocals didn't amaze me but they were OK but then... I can't really stand the choruses, the vocal melody and the background riff sound very detached or disjointed to me, like they don't belong together. The screaming didn't help either. It's a pity because the verses and the outro were good enough for around seven points, but the choruses and screaming bring it down to five.

UMH - Polkadot Cadaver - Pure Bedlam for Half Breeds (7 points)
From what I had read about these guys, I was kinda expecting some Pussyfoot-like crazyness. It was a pleasant surprise though - while crazy, this was more catchy and controlled. The vocal melodies are interesting and the only thing that throws me off is the little piano interlude that sounds like a broken record. It doesn't last too long though so it doesn't really hurt the song overall. Seven points.

Gorille85 - Peeping Tom - We're Not Alone (6 points)
The first few times I listened to this song I forgot it as soon as it was done, it took me a couple of listens to be able to evaluate it. I don't really have much to say about it, it was a nice song but there's nothing really memorable about it. If I had to break it down I'd say the verses with the weird voices and the sparse instrumentation create a nice atmosphere. I can't judge the chorus - sometimes I love it (it has a nice vocal melody) and sometimes I feel it doesn't fit the rest of the song. Overall, it's a nice mix of ideas that I can't really figure out as a whole. Six points.

obscure - Leprous - Mediocrity Wins (8 points)
With that name I thought this would be death metal or something a bit more extreme. It was a pleasant surprise though, I love the electronic bits and the ambient keyboards. In a way, they remind me a lot of Riverside or even PT in that they explore the more atmospheric side of prog metal. The voice of the singer during the choruses doesn't do much for me, it's the one thing keeping it from being a nine. Excellent submission, I will make sure to check these guys out. 8 points.

ReaperKK - The River Empires - Catacombs and Orchards (8 points + 1 point for The River Empires)
These guys were in my to-do list due to Casey's involvement, bonus point. I was expecting something more folky but I got a very quiet piano lead song. The piano lines are extremely beautiful, they sound almost like a soundtrack. A very minimalistic and haunting track - I also happen to love the singer's voice so this is a strong 8 for me. I need to check the full album, this sounds like something I should enjoy.

kári - The XX - Infinite (6 points)
Not too big on the intro but the song soon gets better with the addition of the female vocalist and the different percussion patterns. I was expecting the song to pick up the pace at some point but it never did, for this reason it felt kind of incomplete to me. A little more variety would have made it better in my opinion. Six points - I didn't dislike it and I will probably check the whole album at some point, but as a song it hasn't done enough for me to give it more than that.

Elite - Flying Colors - Blue Ocean (9 points + 1 point for Flying Colors)
I've been wanting to check this new project due to MP and NM's involvement but I hadn't really had time except for one casual listen to Kayla, which I didn't really like. Due to this I put this song will really low expectations but it was a pleasant surprise. Nice grooving bass, solid drumming, vocal harmonies that make me giddy and an excellent lead singer - shake together and you get an excellent pop-rock tune. For such a straightforward song there are a ton of ideas flying around and very different sections tied together seamlessly (the bass groove is really valuable in keeping everything consistent). The instrumental passages are also tasteful enough that they don't feel like wankery. All in all, very good tune. Nine points.

black_floyd - Francisco Meza - The Departure of a Soul (8 points)
This is a lot to digest in just a couple of listens. I was somewhat afraid this wouldn't be up to par when I saw it's self produced, instrumental and long (three qualities I don't particularly love) but it turned out pretty good. For a guitar soloist the guy shows a lot of restraints and there are several passages that are outstanding: the eerie introduction, the clean solo near the end, the lowtempo section around minute 4... Even though this isn't really my style I have to give this song an 8, very nice submission.

LLTWM - Kimbra - Two Way Street (7 points)
Very original submission, I commend your courage. This girl has a sweet voice, that's for sure. The relaxing blend of pop and soul works pretty well, I'm probably saying something incredibly stupid but it reminds me of Michael Jackson sometimes. This is something I could probably listen to with my wife (which isn't the case for most of my music collection to be honest). 7 points.

Rankings:

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #97 on: May 03, 2012, 09:38:15 AM »
Round 5: It's fusion time! I want something that mixes genres (blues, jazz, punk, rap...) or has some "exotic" influence (latin, eastern, ethnic, whatever). Just as long as it isn't "straightforward GENRE" it's fair game.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Xanthul's boring and unimaginative Roulette - Round 4 results up!
« Reply #98 on: May 03, 2012, 09:41:39 AM »
Glad you liked it! ;), now you can check out the rest of the album.

Also, Leprous has 2 albums! The first one is indeed almost death metal-ish, but remains very progressive.
I have something very funny to send for next round, but I'm not sure whether you like it..
Squ

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #99 on: May 03, 2012, 09:42:23 AM »
That's what the roulette is for, let's find out

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: May 03, 2012, 09:43:49 AM »
Oh man this is going to be a fun round, going to try and send something today or tomorrow.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: May 03, 2012, 09:44:15 AM »
Oh and you hit the nail on the head, The River Empires cd is almost like a soundtrack.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #102 on: May 03, 2012, 09:46:17 AM »
Yeah it was a really great track, I didn't score it higher because it felt more like part of a whole than a standalone song and these are always harder to love in limited listens. I will get the CD for sure, I had the feeling I would enjoy them from the online reviews I had read and this song definitely encouraged me to go for it.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #103 on: May 03, 2012, 09:48:08 AM »
That's what the roulette is for, let's find out

Okay then, you're getting some insane shit. I'll just have to figure out which song, as I know the band I'm going to send.
Squ

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #104 on: May 03, 2012, 10:06:45 AM »
It's a bit sad because The River Empires was the other band I thought about sending, oh well...
I might have an idea for the next round, but I will probably wait a bit and think about it so I don't shoot myself in the foot again.