Author Topic: Xanthul's boring and unimaginative Roulette - Zantera wins!!  (Read 21648 times)

Offline Xanthul

Re: Xanthul's boring and unimaginative Roulette - Round 1 results up!
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2012, 02:07:47 AM »
Thanks obscure! Metal didn't fare too well in this round but don't get discouraged, I believe it was more due to these particular submissions than the genre (unexpect did pretty well for example).

As for filler or intermissions tracks, feel free to count them out and send the worst full fledged song.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2012, 02:09:49 AM »
OK that's great, thanks! :)

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2012, 02:13:20 AM »
Thanks obscure! Metal didn't fare too well in this round but don't get discouraged, I believe it was more due to these particular submissions than the genre (unexpect did pretty well for example).

Cool  :tup

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2012, 05:49:08 AM »
Song sent! Hope you'll like it. :)

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2012, 06:27:07 AM »
Song Sent!

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2012, 08:22:18 AM »
Also sent :)

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2012, 01:55:55 PM »
Sent.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2012, 09:50:31 AM »
Sent for both rounds! :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2012, 03:25:15 PM »
Sent.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2012, 04:39:00 AM »
Alright I have all submissions now including Elite's first round. Depending on how the day goes I will post the results today or tomorrow.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2012, 06:06:40 PM »
Today would be cool.  ;)
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2012, 06:17:42 PM »
Take your time :)

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2012, 01:26:21 AM »
Round 1 results for Elite:

Elite - Seventh Wonder - Welcome to Mercy Falls (6 points)

First listen: I can see where the DT comparisons come from, these guys sound a little bit more melodic to me though. Soloing isn't too prevalent which is nice because I'm not too fond of wankery.
Subsequent listens: I'm torn between a 5 and a 6 here. on one hand it reminds me too much of DT - and that's not a good thing because I've grown tired of them. On the other hand, if I clear my mind of prejudices and just listen to the music I have to admit it's enjoyable, so I'm going to lean towards the 6 this time.
What I think I can expect from you: I would be tempted to call you the fourth metalhead of the roulette but judging by your ongoing top 50 thread I think you have a lot more to offer than metal. Choose well and you will be in contention for the crown.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2012, 01:51:11 AM »
Round 2 results! I was NOT more benevolent with scoring because they are supposed to be "worst" songs, I judged them as I would have done with any other song. A 10 here means the same as a 10 in any other round.

Ultimetalhead - Strapping Young Lad - Underneath the Waves (7 points)

First listen: Is this what they call "wall of sound"? I never really understood the term but now I think I do. It's a different kind of production to what I'm used to but it doesn't bother me. Musically, this is still aggressive as fuck so I see you haven't lost your punch. I feel like this is a lot to digest on a single listen but I like it so far.
Subsequent listens: I really don't know what to make out of this song, all I know is it won't let me breathe for the whole duration. I'm getting warmed up to the production style and I like the aggressiveness of the riffs and vocals. If this is the worst song, I guess I could enjoy this album. Seven points.

kári - Bon Iver - Creature Fear (6 points)

First listen: I felt kind of underwhelmed with the first listen. The song reminded me of Kings of Convenience - lowtempo, acoustic guitar with very faint drumming and the occasional uptempo chorus here and there. Not something I dislike, but it doesn't stand out either.
Subsequent listens: I liked this more on repeated listens, the lowtempo sections didn't feel as long as on the first listen and the choruses gained some strength. The abrupt ending doesn't help a lot but I know this is a continuous album that I should listen in one sitting, so I won't hold that against the song. Six points and a new entry in my musical "to-do" list because I feel I owe this album a full listen.

Zantera - Amplifier - Post Acid Youth (9 points)

First listen: I was kind of afraid seeing the "Progressive Rock" tag that this would be a more traditional kind of progressive or neo-prog but this turned out awesome. It reminds me a lot of Oceansize (even though I have only listened to Effloresce yet), the space rock feeling here is very strong. I quite like this.
Subsequent listens: If this is the worst song of the album (at least in your opinion), Amplifier has to be an Effloresce-like effort that I will automatically love on the first listen. Even if no single instrument stands out, the whole band sounds really tight together. Another nine points for you, very good.

ReaperKK - Fair to Midland - Walls of Jericho (9 points + 1 point for Fair to Midland)

First listen: I thought FtM were metal with harsh voices and very crazy in an avant-garde sense. Either I'm wrong or this song isn't too representative of their style... either way I pretty much enjoy this song. It isn't anything extraordinary but it has some nice melodies and is a very listenable piece of music.
Subsequent listens: Reading what I wrote above I have no idea why I said it isn't anything extraordinary. I love the vocal melodies and the light hearted guitar riff and synthetizer background. It does have a slight "radio-friendly" feeling but I'm not bothered by it in the slightest. For some reason the song reminds me of These Walls by DT only several times better since I fell out of love with DT a long time ago. You get nine points too, good work.

LLTWM - Frank Turner - Nights Become Days (5 points)

First listen: A nice acoustic track, but I can't say it's doing a lot for me. As soon as it finished I couldn't remember the melodies, I guess I need more listens to get more out of it.
Subsequent listens: Never been a fan of the singer-songwriter stuff but I usually enjoy acoustic, solo performances of certain frontmen (Dustin from Thrice and Casey from TDH) so I guess it's more a matter of knowing the song. After repeated listens, the song still doesn't grab me until the last minute when the piano becomes more prominent. I guess I could end up liking this in the context of an album, but as a standalone song I must give it 5 points.

black_floyd - Spiral Architect - Conjuring Collapse (4 points)

First listen: The instrumental sections at the beginning remind me of the Dance of Eternity, which isn't a bad thing. Not a fan of the singer, for some reason it reminds me of classic heavy metal which I'm not a fan of. The instrumentation is interesting enough to cover for that, so I don't necessarily dislike the song. Nice instrumental outro too.
Subsequent listens: This is still a bit too "in your face" technical for me. I would have adored this 3 or 4 years ago when I started getting into DT, but in the last few months I have shifted my interest towards other genres. Like I said above, I don't dislike the song but it's just something I can't see myself delving further into. I give it four points.

obscure - Guilt Machine - Over (6 points)

First listen: The opening electronic sounds have me so confused, coming from you surely this must be metal? :P
Subsequent listens: While the mix of electronic and guitars is pretty interesting I feel the vocal melodies in the chorus could have some more strength, I feel they have some untapped potential. Still, the song was interesting enough to make me wonder about the whole project, 6 points.

Elite - Shadow Gallery - Society of the Mind (5 points)

First listen: More prog metal? You guys are bent on giving me a hard time, aren't you? This sounds like pretty formulaic stuff, none of the instruments stand out to me. With that I don't mean it's a *bad* song, it's just that it doesn't make me want to check the whole album or anything.
Subsequent listens: Repeated listens confirm the above - this song is a step below your previous submission (Seventh Wonder) which was a bit more interesting as far as prog metal goes. The little vocal harmonies here and there make it a bit different but it's still not enough to get out of the neutral zone - five points.

Gorille85 - Frank Turner - Wessex Boy (7 points)

First listen: Another Frank Turner submission on the same round, you guys must hold him at a very high regard. This one worked better though due to many reasons: interesting guitar especially during the chorus, the claps giving it a more dinamic feel and better vocals.
Subsequent listens: The vocals definitely feel more emotional here than in Nights Become Days and the guitar riff is something that stays long after I have stopped listening to the song. I'm baffled as how you consider this worse than Nights, are you cheating? :P Seven points.

Rankings:

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2012, 01:51:21 AM »
Round 3: I'm going to abandon the difficult themes for a round or two and go with a more classical one. I LOVE drumming, I would have liked to be a drummer but I never got around to it so I vent my frustration listening to groovy motherfuckers that hit the bonjos with style. I want something with awesome drumming - I have to warn you that I prefer groovy, laid back drumming that makes complex time signatures and rythms sound easy, but if you would rather go with extreme, fast technicality it's up to you (and the size of your balls/ovaries). I will judge the drumming and the song separately (zero to five for each) and add the result for the final score.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2012, 02:08:54 AM »
Glad you liked Amplifier!  :D
The song is from their debut which is really awesome, so you're in for a treat if you check them out. They do have a certain Oceansize-influence in their music, the bands have toured together a lot, and performed on each other's albums, so that might have affected them in different ways. Amplifier has only put out 3 studio albums and a few EPs so far (though the latest album was a double album, and there's a new album coming out this year), but they have climbed very high among my favorites already.  :)

I will think a bit about the next round.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2012, 06:05:19 AM »
I think I got a great drummer for you but I fear the band may be very hit or miss

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2012, 07:43:06 AM »
Ah, crap. Seems like I should try a little harder!

Also, this:

I think I got a great drummer for you but I fear the band may be very hit or miss
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2012, 08:00:50 AM »
Song sent, though I sense the band might be a bit hit or miss. Hopefully the former.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2012, 08:03:49 AM »
Come on guys, don't hesitate and send me these two bands! Even if I end up not enjoying the music you can get a pretty decent score if I give the drumming 5 out of 5, so it's worth a shot.

I know I'm scoring prog metal and metal in general a bit low but there are some exceptions (Fair to Midland, Amplifier, Strapping Young Lad, Unexpect). In general metal is more hit or miss for me than other genres but that also means you could get some 9-10s with the right bands.

It's a game after all, a low score just means we have different musical tastes - I appreciate every single submission even if I rate it low because it gives me more musical knowledge and lets me define my own preferences even further. Roulettes are the musical equivalent of spiritual journeys, I'm just thankful to have you all here... Now wipe the tears off your face and submit some gems!

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2012, 09:21:22 AM »
hmm gonna have to think about that one

also i love every single song from the frank turner album so no i wasn't cheating :P i did came close to send a song from a 1-song album though :lol

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2012, 02:53:00 PM »
Song Sent!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2012, 04:59:59 PM »
hmm gonna have to think about that one

also i love every single song from the frank turner album so no i wasn't cheating :P i did came close to send a song from a 1-song album though :lol
We both sent from the same album. :lol Wessex Boy is nowhere near the bottom for me though.

Lots of choices to go for here! I'll have to think.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2012, 10:20:08 PM »
Hmm the band I really wanna send I think would be way too weird... But I'll think of a good one. Harder than I thought it'd be considering I'm a gigantic proggy.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2012, 11:56:02 PM »
I'll send something today... finally narrowed it down to 3 drummers....

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2012, 12:15:33 AM »
still have to think about it...

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2012, 03:40:56 AM »
Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't have a clear-cut idea what to send :lol
Squ

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2012, 12:15:21 PM »
Sent

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2012, 05:28:51 PM »
Sent.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2012, 07:21:27 AM »
Right, I went with insane technicality. About the most insane stuff I think I know. I hope you'll like it, but I can perfectly imagine the song I sent not warranting me any points at all  :lol

So; sent.
Squ

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2012, 08:53:50 AM »
Only black_floyd and kári left, hurry guys!

I already have most songs listened to and judged so as soon as I get the remainding submissions I will post the results and move on to the next round. I have holidays during monday and tuesday so hopefully we can squeeze another quick round out of those days.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2012, 11:33:36 AM »
so have you got a theme idea yet?

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2012, 11:46:43 AM »
I have themes for all rounds madame, I'm a planner  :hat

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Xanthul's boring and unimaginative Roulette - Round 3
« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2012, 11:53:10 AM »
good job mister  :tup    :laugh:

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
Re: Xanthul's boring and unimaginative Roulette - Round 3
« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2012, 02:05:15 PM »
The themes have been great so far. Really enjoying this roulette.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH