Author Topic: "HD" versions of SC and BC&SL  (Read 8581 times)

Offline Full Speed

Re: "HD" versions of SC and BC&SL
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2013, 07:53:14 AM »
I'm interested in getting the HDtracks of ADTOE, but can anyone say how much better the quality is from the regular CD version? Is it worth it?

I found it much better and thought it was well worth it (never listen to the actual CD anymore).

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2013, 07:56:13 AM »
I think it's pretty nonsensical to put out HD versions. I mean, just put it on the regular disc with a decent master.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2013, 07:57:31 AM »
I'm interested in getting the HDtracks of ADTOE, but can anyone say how much better the quality is from the regular CD version? Is it worth it?

I found it much better and thought it was well worth it (never listen to the actual CD anymore).

Great, I'll be sure to get it. Thanks!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2013, 08:04:10 AM »

I dont' have a surround system or anything like that. I bought them and ripped them to a 320 mp3. The only notable difference I hear is the snare sound. It sounds a bit higher in the mix (as well as some of the cymbals). I'm pretty sure it should sound even better with a proper system.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2013, 08:10:44 AM »

I dont' have a surround system or anything like that. I bought them and ripped them to a 320 mp3. The only notable difference I hear is the snare sound. It sounds a bit higher in the mix (as well as some of the cymbals). I'm pretty sure it should sound even better with a proper system.

I have a 5.1 system plugged into my PC, so I guess it should sound great.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2013, 08:10:53 AM »
I think it's pretty nonsensical to put out HD versions. I mean, just put it on the regular disc with a decent master.

DVDs have a higher storage capacity than CDs.  Remastering may improve the sound, but won't increase the bitrate.  For higher resolution, you have to go to a different medium.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2013, 08:15:00 AM »

DVDs have a higher storage capacity than CDs.  Remastering may improve the sound, but won't increase the bitrate.  For higher resolution, you have to go to a different medium.

I think PixelDream is just referring to using the more dynamic master that the HDTracks version of ADTOE had vs the CD one, rather than the increase in sample rate and bit depth. I think that's the most noticeable advantage this version of ADTOE has over the CD version.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2013, 08:27:12 AM »
 Having a more dynamic master in the CD would make the HD tracks unattractive.

I think this was already posted by the time the ADTOE HD tracks were released:
There is discussion about the benefits of HD audio: https://xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Offline dparrott

« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2013, 08:46:11 AM »
Super is a very good audio converter program: https://www.erightsoft.com/Superdc.html  (download link is at bottom of page)

I think Winamp can burn flac's.  https://www.winamp.com/
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2013, 10:00:21 AM »

I think PixelDream is just referring to using the more dynamic master that the HDTracks version of ADTOE had vs the CD one, rather than the increase in sample rate and bit depth. I think that's the most noticeable advantage this version of ADTOE has over the CD version.

A better master helps a lot, of course, but so does higher resolution, and each can only go so far.  My objection was to the statement that you don't need one just because you have the other.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2013, 10:05:28 AM »

A better master helps a lot, of course, but so does higher resolution, and each can only go so far.  My objection was to the statement that you don't need one just because you have the other.

Fair enough, although personally I think the practical benefits of the higher resolution are arguable, whereas I think the benefits of the greater dynamic range are more obvious to those who have a problem with the loudness war. But point taken anyway.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2013, 10:15:14 AM »
See the link in my previous post, even if I agree to the point that a higher resolution results in a noticeable benefit, you would need a hell of an equipment to maintain that benefit. The result of a higher dynamic range is more "dramatic"

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2013, 11:36:07 AM »
This is really happening? Nice! I think Systematic Chaos is some of the best music they wrote since SFAM. It's about time people got a version of it where their enjoyment of it won't be marred by overcompression.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Full Speed

« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2013, 11:46:56 AM »
This is really happening? Nice! I think Systematic Chaos is some of the best music they wrote since SFAM. It's about time people got a version of it where their enjoyment of it won't be marred by overcompression.

Since the OP is from April of last year, I doubt this is going to happen.

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2013, 12:15:31 PM »
This thread just made me so happy, and then so, so sad....  :'(
James LaBrie: It's Always an octave higher.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2013, 12:20:10 PM »

This.

Oh well. I like the way SC sounds, so I don't have a problem with its powah.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2013, 12:26:16 PM »

This.

Oh well. I like the way SC sounds, so I don't have a problem with its powah.

I agree. I never particularly took notice of the production of SC. The first time I ever noticed enough to voice my opinion about it in DT music was TEI.
James LaBrie: It's Always an octave higher.

Offline johncal

« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2013, 06:17:09 PM »
You know with all the negative comments about the sound, (just sayin") it's nice that they are putting out something that electronically has the actual capability of sounding much better than what you can get on CD. That, IMO shows that they do hear and care. You can even say the DVD's are much more HD as well, they really ARE.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2013, 11:34:06 AM »
Code: DREAM15 for 15% off hdtracks!

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2013, 11:39:29 AM »
Really. I like the song and wanted it in quality betterr than mp3. Also I think that it fits the black clouds style... just my opinion!

Me too.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2013, 01:31:09 PM »

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.