Author Topic: 2012-06-21 - Jacobs Pavilion - Cleveland, OH  (Read 23576 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: 2012-06-21 - Jacobs Pavilion - Cleveland, OH
« Reply #105 on: June 21, 2012, 02:55:48 PM »
The BOA Pavillion in Boston actually hands them out. We sat in the front row in '09 with one of the giant speakers on the floor right in front of us. The Lovely Mrs. TAC asked for them at the booth, and they handed a pair to her.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #106 on: June 21, 2012, 03:17:36 PM »
I'm sitting pretty much at the middle table in the VIP tent :) so stoked!!!
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #107 on: June 21, 2012, 03:21:19 PM »
Btw, a couple used a silver ticket from the black clouds set to get in to the meet and greet. I though they weren't good anymore, but apparantly not.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #108 on: June 21, 2012, 03:21:47 PM »
I'm sitting pretty much at the middle table in the VIP tent :) so stoked!!!

:omg:  NOBODY TOLD ME THERE WOULD BE CAMPING!!!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #109 on: June 21, 2012, 03:23:34 PM »
If you don't find earplugs just get some cotton wool to stuff into your ear. If you make sure that both ears have equally big self-made earplugs so that the sound isn't louder on one side. Compared to cheap, not reusable earplugs cotton wool actually takes less higher frequencies away, which results in better overall sound. (Otherwise the bass and the drums are all you hear if the mix isn't top notch).
When you've got time and money order some earplugs via the internet. Decent ones you can reuse will only cost you about 20 - 30$ and they hold for a few years if you take care of them. You can also go to a local shop that sells "high-end" earplugs, which don't take away the high frequencies at all and just make it quieter, without changing the sound (or at least not badly). However, those will cost you 200 $ if you get lucky and probably more.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: June 21, 2012, 04:34:03 PM »
I'll look into getting ETY Plugs. I remember someone recommending them a while ago.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #111 on: June 21, 2012, 04:50:21 PM »
:caffeine: John Petrucci signed my shirt!!! I told him the story and his face lit up and he said "that's frickin sweet" (he really did say that haha).

Front row! Can't wait! I'll upload a pic of the shirt later

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #112 on: June 21, 2012, 04:55:53 PM »
:caffeine: John Petrucci signed my shirt!!! I told him the story and his face lit up and he said "that's frickin sweet" (he really did say that haha).

Giddy giddy.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #113 on: June 21, 2012, 04:59:09 PM »

:biggrin:  That's awesome.  I'm seeing them later in the tour.  I'll make sure to bring it up too.  Really, really cool.  I'm really glad that shirt went to someone who could use it to connect with the band.  So in retrospect, that shirt went from JP to me, from me to you, from you briefly back to JP for him to sign it halfway across the country, and then back to you.  The Internet is truly an amazing thing.  :lol

EDIT:  So get to brag to everyone:  "Hey, JP touched my shirt twice in two different states!"  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline GasparXR

« Reply #114 on: June 21, 2012, 05:16:42 PM »

:biggrin:  That's awesome.  I'm seeing them later in the tour.  I'll make sure to bring it up too.  Really, really cool.  I'm really glad that shirt went to someone who could use it to connect with the band.  So in retrospect, that shirt went from JP to me, from me to you, from you briefly back to JP for him to sign it halfway across the country, and then back to you.  The Internet is truly an amazing thing.  :lol

EDIT:  So get to brag to everyone:  "Hey, JP touched my shirt twice in two different states!"  :lol

He touched it in both liquid AND solid states?!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #115 on: June 21, 2012, 05:29:00 PM »
Solid and gas, I think.  If I remember correctly, they served chili at the after show.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #116 on: June 21, 2012, 05:44:34 PM »
 :lol

enjoy the show!

Offline GasparXR

« Reply #117 on: June 21, 2012, 06:01:35 PM »
Solid and gas, I think.  If I remember correctly, they served chili at the after show.

Maybe the chili affected your memory.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #118 on: June 21, 2012, 08:58:15 PM »
Awesome show! Security was super lax so I could walk right up and take a photo by them. I shook hands at the end with Myung and Mangini. Best concert of my life!

No rotation though :(

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #119 on: June 21, 2012, 09:22:39 PM »
Uh oh, Results May Vary will have something to say about the lack of rotation.
Hey I'm seeing em 3 days in a row... but i suspect by the time the run through the west coast some things will change... 

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #120 on: June 21, 2012, 09:27:03 PM »
There wasn't any rotation. I'm going to shoot myself.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Lark the Starless

• Engrish.
« Reply #121 on: June 21, 2012, 10:26:27 PM »
Uh oh, Results May Vary will have something to say about the lack of rotation.
Hey I'm seeing em 3 days in a row... but i suspect by the time the run through the west coast some things will change...

Seeing them 2 nights in a row myself. Sure hope the setlist changes by then.

Anyone have Crimson ProjeKct's setlists for the past 2 concerts?

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #122 on: June 21, 2012, 11:25:57 PM »
Tonight's Crimson setlist was....

Epic Drum Duel
Some improvy stuff
Dinosaur
Elephant Talk 
Red 
Frame By Frame
Thela Hun Ginjeet
Some song I hadn't heard before. One of the lines was "I REPEAT MYSELF WHEN I'M DISTRESSED I REPEAT MYSELF WHEN I'M DISTRESSED" or something like that. I lol'd.

The show was pretty badass. The crowd kind of sucked ass though. People in the front row sitting down. lolwut
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #123 on: June 21, 2012, 11:32:39 PM »
thanks so much, UMH, I've been waiting for that.  the last song appears to be indiscipline.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #124 on: June 21, 2012, 11:37:37 PM »
Hey, sorry we didn't meet up Ultimetalhead! Hope you enjoyed the show as much as I did.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: June 21, 2012, 11:47:23 PM »
No problem. Which was your seat number? I was in seat 6.

Anyhow, even with the lack of set rotation, I'm totally stoked about seeing them again tomorrow.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #126 on: June 21, 2012, 11:48:22 PM »
I was 19, almost smack dab in the center.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #127 on: June 22, 2012, 02:35:25 AM »
Some song I hadn't heard before. One of the lines was "I REPEAT MYSELF WHEN I'M DISTRESSED I REPEAT MYSELF WHEN I'M DISTRESSED" or something like that. I lol'd.

It's "I repeat myself when under stress".  The song is Indiscipline, and I'm glad to hear that CP is playing that one. :metal

Offline Mladen

« Reply #128 on: June 22, 2012, 06:29:46 AM »
:lol It's Indiscipline and it's one of my favorite King Crimson songs. You're very lucky that you heard it. Anyway, who's playing in this Crimson Project thingy?

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #129 on: June 22, 2012, 06:50:37 AM »
Ok, six photos for you guys. Security was ridiculously weird. They were stopping people left and right for recording video, but they said pictures were okay. Let me tell you how awesome this was, because they didn't even care if you walked right up to the stage (as long as you weren't recording video)!

I love the Jordan one.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: June 22, 2012, 07:08:27 AM »
Awesome pictures, Shadow. My Dad took about a hundred billion pictures, so I'll be sure to get some up here when he transfers them off his phone.

The Crimson band was Tony Levin (got a picture with him between sets), Adrian Belew, Julie Slick (from Adrian's solo band), and two drummers I didn't recognize. Tony was very animated and fun to watch.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 07:27:16 AM by Ultimetalhead »

Offline John94

« Reply #131 on: June 22, 2012, 10:40:50 AM »
Pirate, wearing a waistcoat? Next he will be in leather and half buttoned shirts! :yarr

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #132 on: June 22, 2012, 10:41:52 AM »
Actually, after last night, I heard James is filming a documentary about his decision to leave Cleveland and go to Miami.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #133 on: June 22, 2012, 10:45:16 AM »
Asked about his decision to leave Dream Theater to go to a more popular band located in Miami, which would go on to receive a Grammy:

"It's about damn time,  :yarr"

Offline Rob801

« Reply #134 on: June 22, 2012, 10:57:11 AM »
Awesome pictures, Shadow. My Dad took about a hundred billion pictures, so I'll be sure to get some up here when he transfers them off his phone.

The Crimson band was Tony Levin (got a picture with him between sets), Adrian Belew, Julie Slick (from Adrian's solo band), and two drummers I didn't recognize. Tony was very animated and fun to watch.

Man, I haven't been keeping up. I didn't realize CP was a (partial) King Crimson band. I wish so much that they could have opened the European tour instead of who ever it was that we saw (can't even remember their name).

With Adrian Belew, Tony Levin, and Pat Mastelotto (on drums) it's half of the classic "double trio" line up (the other half was Robert Fripp, Bill Bruford, and Trey Gunn) which was dominant at least when I saw them last which was back in the early 90's before I moved from the States (not sure how many years they continued with that line up).

I am most definitely jealous I can't see two of my favorite bands/partial bands of all time together ;). Glad you enjoyed the show!

Offline Lark the Starless

• Engrish.
« Reply #135 on: June 22, 2012, 02:35:52 PM »
Tonight's Crimson setlist was....

Epic Drum Duel
Some improvy stuff
Dinosaur
Elephant Talk 
Red 
Frame By Frame
Thela Hun Ginjeet

The show was pretty badass. The crowd kind of sucked ass though. People in the front row sitting down. lolwut

Thanks! That's a pretty tasty setlist. That's 4 songs from "Discipline," one of my favorite KC albums. :metal

The only song that I haven't heard is "Dinosaur" but other than that, looks great!

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #136 on: June 22, 2012, 03:44:45 PM »
Pirate, wearing a waistcoat? Next he will be in leather and half buttoned shirts! :yarr

HELL to the yeah! :drool: :cjs:

Cool pix, Shadow and UMH! :metal

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #137 on: June 22, 2012, 05:00:53 PM »
A few thoughts about this show:

The venue was awesome. Outdoor show + canopy + breeze from the river and lake = very comfortable show.
The sound was much better than the Columbus show (mostly due to the fact the Columbus show was indoors).
I was able to appreciate the light show a lot more than the Columbus show.
And Mangini added a little drum intro to the beginning of A Fortune In Lies on top of the original DUN-DUN-DUN.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline dodido253

« Reply #138 on: June 22, 2012, 05:51:06 PM »

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #139 on: June 22, 2012, 11:07:01 PM »
I was able to appreciate the light show a lot more than the Columbus show.
What do you think of the light show on this leg? It seems to change from show to show and leg to leg. This one seems a bit downsized compared to the first NA leg. I just wanted to hear what someone had to say before my show on Wednesday. The lights have changed on this tour compared to last leg. As shown below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5V70n6xizg
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen