Author Topic: 2012-06-19 - The LC Pavilion - Columbus, OH  (Read 16726 times)

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
Re: 2012-06-19 - The LC Pavilion - Columbus, OH
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2012, 09:42:30 PM »
Wow. No rotation at all, huh?
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2012, 09:48:47 PM »
To be fair, this was the first night of the official tour with the Crimson Projekct opening. I am also going to be at the Cleveland show, so if they dont rotate a few songs then, ill be a bit upset since the two shows are just a two hour drive apart and they must know some people will see them both times.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2012, 09:49:08 PM »

I'd wait til the next show just to be sure...but so far it's not looking good for any song-swapping.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2012, 09:50:11 PM »
can anyone post the Crimson setlist?

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2012, 09:56:17 PM »
That too pl0x.

Edit: I sent JLB a Facebook message asking what was up about the lack of rotation. I'll keep you guys posted. :neverusethis:
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 10:08:07 PM by Ultimetalhead »
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2012, 10:09:06 PM »
album ending of roae? :(
but the other is so epic!

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2012, 10:22:56 PM »
I think they are using the album ending because it flows tremedously well into the piano intro of Lost Not Forgotten. It was, essentially, a seamless transition between the two songs.

I can't really shed any light on the songs that were played, but they played for 40 minutes.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2012, 10:27:55 PM »
I think they are using the album ending because it flows tremedously well into the piano intro of Lost Not Forgotten. It was, essentially, a seamless transition between the two songs.

:metal

Awesome to hear that! I was hoping they would do that. I love when they take two different songs from two different albums and incorporate their segues somehow into each other. Another prime example of this is "Beyond This Life" and "Misunderstood" (although, conversely, you could even do "Blind Faith" into "Through Her Eyes").

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2012, 10:30:47 PM »

I can't really shed any light on the songs that were played, but they played for 40 minutes.

OK, thanks.  hoping maybe it gets posted somewhere.

love the DT setlist, though

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2012, 10:32:12 PM »
Woah woah woah! Did JLB record some new backing vocals for WIMH (by that I mean, replacing MP's vocals).

Around 52 seconds in that video, the backing vocals sound totally different than on the studio version ("waging the war inside my head").

If that was JP, that was an awesome vocal moment for him, because the rasp at the end sounded just like James.

Yeah, I think so.  Right before the chorus, he goes over to the mic.  Plus, if you keep watching, he is actually in frame on parts of the second chorus and you can see him singing it.  (plus, it sounds like him)

i really don't think that's JP. i saw him walk up to the mic, but maybe he's mimicking the lines the same way lifeson does in subdivisions. that "heeeeeeeeead" sounds just like JLB.

^This quote is from the Lewiston, NY show thread.

JP did the EXACT same thing tonight in Columbus when doing back-up vocals. He really fucking nailed it. JP has got some pipes.

EDIT: I'd also like to add that JP's backing vocals, in general, are incredibly impressive. He has really, really, really improved since he had to step up after Portnoy left.

Offline Pockets17red

• Unofficially Official Prog Archivist
  • If you don't like it, right up yours!
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2012, 11:06:47 PM »
Woah woah woah! Did JLB record some new backing vocals for WIMH (by that I mean, replacing MP's vocals).

Around 52 seconds in that video, the backing vocals sound totally different than on the studio version ("waging the war inside my head").

If that was JP, that was an awesome vocal moment for him, because the rasp at the end sounded just like James.

Yeah, I think so.  Right before the chorus, he goes over to the mic.  Plus, if you keep watching, he is actually in frame on parts of the second chorus and you can see him singing it.  (plus, it sounds like him)

i really don't think that's JP. i saw him walk up to the mic, but maybe he's mimicking the lines the same way lifeson does in subdivisions. that "heeeeeeeeead" sounds just like JLB.

JP did the EXACT same thing tonight in Columbus when doing back-up vocals. He really fucking nailed it. JP has got some pipes.

EDIT: I'd also like to add that JP's backing vocals, in general, are incredibly impressive. He has really, really, really improved since he had to step up after Portnoy left.
Completely agree and from what I heard, JLB was ON tonight! Definitely the best concert from them since "Chaos In Motion."
Keep on turning, Keep on turning, Turning around, Spinning around, round, round, round, round, round, round, round, round...

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2012, 11:38:58 PM »
I'm posting from my phone, so I apologize in advance for any possible format issues.

Setlist:
Dream Is Collapsing Intro
Bridges In The Sky
6:00
The Dark Eternal Night
This Is The Life
The Root of All Evil (w/ album ending)
Lost Not Forgotten
A Fortune In Lies
---Keyboard Solo Spot---
Surrounded
On The Backs of Angels
War Inside My Head
The Test That Stumped Them All
---Guitar Solo Spot---
The Spirit Carries On
Breaking All Illusions
---encore---
Metropolis, Pt.1

Thanx for posting the setlist. With regards to the solo spots, is it safe to assume that the keyboard solo spot was unaccompanied piano and that the guitar solo spot had keyboard accompaniment? Also, was the keyboard spot relatively short (a minute or less) or something more significant?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline sherms

« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2012, 11:43:51 PM »
[/quote]

40 minutes?!?! That's it?!?! I'm disappointed, I was hoping for at least an hour. IMO, the Crimson guys are at a stage in their careers where they don't need to (or shouldn't have to, again IMO) open for ANYONE, and if they do, they deserve a hell of a lot more stage time than 40 minutes! Maybe I should take into account that Levin and Belew, et al aren't getting any younger, but last fall I saw them and they played for about 3 hours all sets included, and took the time to hang out with fans after the show. They seem to still have all the energy in the world, so give 'em a longer set!

</Crimson fanboy rant>

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2012, 12:18:58 AM »
Thanks for the set list ResultsMayVary :)
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline gilpdawg

« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2012, 03:00:54 AM »
Not completely familiar with their stuff...but I recognized Elephant Talk and Dinosaur, and I think I remember hearing at least a snippet of Red in there somewhere too.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 03:39:37 AM by gilpdawg »

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2012, 05:47:21 AM »
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2012, 05:50:46 AM »

I guess DT did this so MP couldn't pull a Terry Brown maybe??

(For those of you who don't know, Terry Brown sued or wanted to get some compensation for the use of his voice in the SFAM tour shows. Hence, the NO THANK YOU TERRY BROWN in the ending credits of the live DVD).

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2012, 06:16:56 AM »
I'm posting from my phone, so I apologize in advance for any possible format issues.

Setlist:
Dream Is Collapsing Intro
Bridges In The Sky
6:00
The Dark Eternal Night
This Is The Life
The Root of All Evil (w/ album ending)
Lost Not Forgotten
A Fortune In Lies
---Keyboard Solo Spot---
Surrounded
On The Backs of Angels
War Inside My Head
The Test That Stumped Them All
---Guitar Solo Spot---
The Spirit Carries On
Breaking All Illusions
---encore---
Metropolis, Pt.1

Thanx for posting the setlist. With regards to the solo spots, is it safe to assume that the keyboard solo spot was unaccompanied piano and that the guitar solo spot had keyboard accompaniment? Also, was the keyboard spot relatively short (a minute or less) or something more significant?
You are correct on both counts, but the solo spots were both for several minutes (2-5ish). JP's was definitely longer.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2012, 07:54:43 AM »
Not completely familiar with their stuff...but I recognized Elephant Talk and Dinosaur, and I think I remember hearing at least a snippet of Red in there somewhere too.

great start, thank you  :tup

Offline Flacracker

« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2012, 09:18:14 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeLcVxqTKzs  -  Spirit
What the fuck is this? People need to record Lost Not Forgotten. Has there been a video of it yet?

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2012, 09:44:59 AM »
What was the "size" of the crowd like. 2/3 full? 1/2 full?

Offline Pockets17red

« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2012, 11:17:44 AM »
Well, the capacity for indoors is 2200, and when my dad went to go smoke outside a couple of times. He said the venue could have fit about 200 more people but yet again there were around 100-150 when he went outside, so it seemed to be close to full.
Keep on turning, Keep on turning, Turning around, Spinning around, round, round, round, round, round, round, round, round...

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2012, 12:42:34 PM »
Well, the capacity for indoors is 2200, and when my dad went to go smoke outside a couple of times. He said the venue could have fit about 200 more people but yet again there were around 100-150 when he went outside, so it seemed to be close to full.
I have a friend who works with Promowest and who worked the show last night as event staff. A few text messages later and after asking for a favor, she told me that the 'official' number of ticket scans for entry was 2,097, excluding meet and greet tickets (who were basically granted free admission since they did not scan in their tickets when they were let into the venue early).

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2012, 01:25:37 PM »
^ Well, that's about what DT draws in the US. Anywhere from 2-3,000! :facepalm:

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2012, 02:11:22 PM »
They reverted back to the original Root ending? Damn... The new ended was just so... majestic
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Pockets17red

« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2012, 02:40:06 PM »
I have a friend who works with Promowest and who worked the show last night as event staff. A few text messages later and after asking for a favor, she told me that the 'official' number of ticket scans for entry was 2,097, excluding meet and greet tickets (who were basically granted free admission since they did not scan in their tickets when they were let into the venue early).
Mhmm, well there were about 12-13 people at the Meet and Greet so we will just say there was a cool 2,110 people (Almost a sellout). That's pretty awesome considering they are playing three dates in Ohio and the date in Detroit which isn't far from Columbus. I'm glad they have such a fanbase in Ohio. :metal

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2012, 03:07:20 PM »
Mhmm, well there were about 12-13 people at the Meet and Greet so we will just say there was a cool 2,110 people (Almost a sellout). That's pretty awesome considering they are playing three dates in Ohio and the date in Detroit which isn't far from Columbus. I'm glad they have such a fanbase in Ohio. :metal
Yea, i definitely agree. And its funny, because it really didn't look like they had 2,000 people in the LC.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2012, 03:51:28 PM »
@Pockets - How was the meet and greet? Was it rushed? What row did you end up in? Can't wait for mine tomorrow!
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2012, 05:27:41 PM »
They reverted back to the original Root ending? Damn... The new ended was just so... majestic

Well it's like someone said earlier, they had it kind of alide into the beginning to LNF. Both songs are in F, right?

Offline Pockets17red

« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2012, 06:43:17 PM »
@Pockets - How was the meet and greet? Was it rushed? What row did you end up in? Can't wait for mine tomorrow!
It was the best of all the meet and greets I have done actually. It was even better than the one during the "Chaos In Motion" Tour. They were all the most talkative, happy, and involved of all the times I have seen them in the M&G. I wasn't surprised that it was that way, but maybe others were. It didn't feel rushed at all. For this meet and greet, we got to take 2 pictures each, and then after everyone did that, we got to do the signing session and chatting. Good ol' time. Jordan and John P. commented on my Devin Townsend Project shirt. Apparently Jordan saw devin when he was singing with Vai way back when!

Offline johncal

« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2012, 08:01:53 PM »

40 minutes?!?! That's it?!?! I'm disappointed, I was hoping for at least an hour. IMO, the Crimson guys are at a stage in their careers where they don't need to (or shouldn't have to, again IMO) open for ANYONE, and if they do, they deserve a hell of a lot more stage time than 40 minutes! Maybe I should take into account that Levin and Belew, et al aren't getting any younger, but last fall I saw them and they played for about 3 hours all sets included, and took the time to hang out with fans after the show. They seem to still have all the energy in the world, so give 'em a longer set!

</Crimson fanboy rant>
[/quote]

Yeah, except it's not "really" king Crimson so IMO they should be happy to get 40 minutes to sell some of their albums and get younger people to know who they were / are, and I was always a big fan.

Offline gilpdawg

« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2012, 11:53:14 PM »
What the fuck is this? People need to record Lost Not Forgotten. Has there been a video of it yet?
The whole show is coming. My friend filmed it. It will be on Youtube shortly, and we both have the master files if people like it enough to trade it.

Edit-Here's part 1. Part 2 being uploaded now. He had to cut TSCO because his battery will only record for 2 hours and they played 2:07 roughly, and that's the song he chose to cut, since everyone has seen that song a bunch live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=003sFEUl4Ck&feature=plcp

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2012, 11:59:09 PM »
The whole show is coming. My friend filmed it. It will be on Youtube shortly, and we both have the master files if people like it enough to trade it.

Edit-Here's part 1. Part 2 being uploaded now. He had to cut TSCO because his battery will only record for 2 hours and they played 2:07 roughly, and that's the song he chose to cut, since everyone has seen that song a bunch live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=003sFEUl4Ck&feature=plcp

PM sent *_*
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2012, 01:32:41 AM »
 :metal