Author Topic: 2012-07-12 - The National - Richmond, VA  (Read 8439 times)

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2012-07-12 - The National - Richmond, VA
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2012, 11:39:00 PM »
I got it :lol, if no one's coming this might be the first time this happens? That no one gives a shout out after a show? Weird yet nice thought to know we've had someone report back at the vast majority of the cities, at least this tour.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2012, 12:26:28 AM »
hey now, I didn't forget about you guys! I just didn't get home until really late since I had to drive back to NC after the show.

This was my first DT show, and what a show it was. Being my first show I can't really compare the quality to others, although I can say that I am VERY pleased. Crimson Projeckt was impressive and a fitting opening act, IMO. The venue was quite nice, although I didn't move around much. I stood about 15 feet in front of Petrucci, what a great decision! Highlights of the show include: BiTS, A Fortune in Lies, Surrounded, Rudess's solo, singing happy birthday for JP, The Spirit Carries On, Breaking All Illusions, and of course: Metropolis pt. 1.

Overall... great show, and can't wait for the next one I am able to attend!
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2012, 12:38:28 AM »
Kick ass  :tup
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2012, 01:11:57 AM »
Excellent! :tup

Offline Paul

« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2012, 08:42:26 AM »
Petrucci rocked the cowboy hat!  :metal

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2012, 09:41:23 AM »
How did last night's show compare to other DT shows you have been to?

Offline Omega

« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2012, 10:03:53 AM »
I was fortunate enough to be able to drive up from Cary to see the Richmond show last night and see DT for the 3rd time. Boy was it amazing. The setlist was stellar, I didn't hear any mistakes, the playing was flawless, the energy was tangible, and I was able to scream my heart out along to the songs. I was also able to be basically right next to the front row, which was great too and is the closest I've managed to get to the stage at a DT show. My friends and I got to the venue at around 4:15 and waited it out in order to get good places to stand. At a red light on a street a couple feet from the venue I also had the distinct pleasure of coming to a full stop and watching the great Tony Levin walk right in front of my car to cross the street. Didn't get a chance to chat with him, but I did manage to yell his name out the window and get a kind acknowledgement.

After the show, though, my friends and I were able to wait outside the venue at a side exit and meet Petrucci, LaBrie and Rudess. I had never met or shaken the hand of any DT member in the past, so that was also an amazing experience and one that I don't quite think I've been able to fully process just yet. I got some pictures and video, which I might post here some time down the road (besides the fact that the venue's security was pouncing on any suspected camera they saw). My only complaint, really, is that I couldn't really hear John Myung's bass. Being a bass player myself, it was somewhat irritating not being able to hear him. They really ought to give him more sonic space in the live mix. Amazing night and an unforgettable experience nonetheless. It being Petrucci's birthday and watching Rudess, LaBrie and Petrucci don some comical hats was only further frosting on the cake, so to speak. Amazing show!
ΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩ

Offline Evatallica

« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2012, 10:17:26 AM »
I'm experiencing my first concert today, how loud was the concert? I'm kind of worried about my hearing

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2012, 10:18:55 AM »
Ah, we must have been standing fairly close by. I also arrived pretty early to wait outside. As for the setlist, I completely agree. Not a single bad song (as is the case with almost the entire DT catalog). I'm also extremely jealous that you were able to meet Petrucci, LaBrie, and Rudess.  :tup

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2012, 10:21:09 AM »
I'm experiencing my first concert today, how loud was the concert? I'm kind of worried about my hearing

It was somewhat loud where I was standing (near the front on stage left- right in front of Petrucci), although not as loud as the last concert I went to. I had a little bit of trouble hearing afterwards, but this morning I feel fine (as opposed to Thrice a few months ago when my ears rang for a couple days after the show).

Just in case, you may want to get some earplugs and put them on if you find it to be too loud.

Offline Evatallica

« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2012, 10:22:49 AM »
Alright thanks bro, I feel a lot better now :) And I'm glad you had fun! I'm so pumped for the concert today

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2012, 10:25:10 AM »
Alright thanks bro, I feel a lot better now :) And I'm glad you had fun! I'm so pumped for the concert today

I considered buying tickets for the DC show as well, but decided against it since they aren't rotating setlists this tour. Although, after last night, I am sure that I would have immensely enjoyed it a second time in a two-day span.

Anyways, I hope your first is as good as mine was!

Offline Omega

« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2012, 11:29:34 AM »
Ah, we must have been standing fairly close by. I also arrived pretty early to wait outside. As for the setlist, I completely agree. Not a single bad song (as is the case with almost the entire DT catalog). I'm also extremely jealous that you were able to meet Petrucci, LaBrie, and Rudess.  :tup

Nice. What time you get there? And what do you look like / what were you wearing? I might've seen you or hell even met you and not have realized it. Here's one of me and the beast JP after the show. I was wearing a black v-neck (haters gonna hate) and jeans.

ΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩ

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2012, 11:43:05 AM »
hmm... I'm not sure I did see you. You were probably a little bit closer to the stage then me. I was wearing a navy blue Braveyoung shirt that I got for free in the 70% off sale from the OmegaOrder a few months back. Unfortunately, I didn't get any good pictures at the show. I should have stuck around longer afterwards, but I was in a bit of a hurry to get home.

Offline cosmicwxdude

« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2012, 03:10:41 PM »
I was fortunate enough to be able to drive up from Cary to see the Richmond show last night and see DT for the 3rd time. Boy was it amazing. The setlist was stellar, I didn't hear any mistakes, the playing was flawless, the energy was tangible, and I was able to scream my heart out along to the songs. I was also able to be basically right next to the front row, which was great too and is the closest I've managed to get to the stage at a DT show. My friends and I got to the venue at around 4:15 and waited it out in order to get good places to stand. At a red light on a street a couple feet from the venue I also had the distinct pleasure of coming to a full stop and watching the great Tony Levin walk right in front of my car to cross the street. Didn't get a chance to chat with him, but I did manage to yell his name out the window and get a kind acknowledgement.

Same thing happened to be back about 18yrs ago when Bill Bruford walked in front of my car as I waited for a red light downtown St.Paul.  He was doing his 'Earthworks' thing at a nearby festival.   I did get to say hi and happened to be playing some Yes at the time...although Yes he did not contribute to...DOH! :facepalm:

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2012, 03:43:52 PM »
Omega you did good man :tup

Take ear plugs just in case, I've seen them 4 times on this tour and I personally think it gets a bit too loud at a lot of spots around a venue.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2012, 05:09:25 PM »
I took the advice given to me and got some just in case. I didn't end up using them, but I think next time I will. It was right at the threshold of being too loud for me.

Offline Cookstar

« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2012, 06:40:26 PM »
Awesome show and great audience!  I honestly wish they would tone down the volume just a bit so you can here the vocals and the intricacies of the music better.  (Then again, maybe I'm just getting old.)  I agree about Myung's bass being lost in the mix.  Singing "Happy Birthday" to JP was cool and watching him work is incredible.  So effortless.

Also, there was some jerk beside me heckling The Crimson Projekct.  They're not my cup of tea either but I certainly respect their talent and King Crimson's place as one of the original progressive rock bands.

Here's two pics from the end:

« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 06:59:20 PM by Cookstar »

Offline Omega

« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2012, 07:20:37 PM »

Ya caught me I the act, Cookstar. I'm that douche on the right with the black shirt, green band on the left arm and hand right below Myung holding the iPhone.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2012, 09:42:25 PM »
Ah, you guys are both a bit to the left of me. I was directly in front of Petrucci during the show.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2012, 11:53:21 PM »
Cool pics, Cookstar! :metal

Offline Cookstar

« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2012, 07:38:29 AM »
Ya caught me I the act, Cookstar. I'm that douche on the right with the black shirt, green band on the left arm and hand right below Myung holding the iPhone.
Cool!  Wasn't the green armband for those under 21?  I saw a lot of young whippersnappers there.  I started listening to DT in 1992 so some of them weren't even born yet.

Cool pics, Cookstar! :metal
Thanks Debra!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 11:16:44 AM by Cookstar »

Offline kevinpwrs

Re: Richmond VA Roll Call
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2012, 03:49:11 PM »
for those that don't know, mangini is doing a meet and greet from 1-3 at just drums.

Well Dammit! We were driving up from North Carolina when you posted this! We would have left earlier for this had we known. We saw Mangini walking in the side door to The National after this M&G that we didnt know about. I blew the horn at him and looked at us. Missing that M&G really gets me! Shit!

We have actually just returned from Washington, DC. Both shows were great.
"You know how you get to Carnegie Hall don't ya? Practice!"

Offline Omega

« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2012, 10:34:15 AM »
Cool!  Wasn't the green armband for those under 21?  I saw a lot of young whippersnappers there.  I started listening to DT in 1992 so some of them weren't even born yet.

Yes, they were unfortunately discriminating up in there against us 19 year olds. :(

Offline complexx

« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2012, 08:04:23 AM »
Attended the National Show last week.  Excellent.  Everyone sounded good with the exception that it was indeed difficult to hear JM (I wear hearing protection which may have contributed).  Very very satisfied with the way Mangini played the songs, effortlessly and was really fluid.  I like his style.  He feels like a natural fit with the rest of the guys.  I was so excited about his performance that I had to go online after to get some more backgroud and found the drummer audition videos (highly highly highly recommend them, a great hour of time).  Yes, I admit, I've been a long time DT fan, but as of the last year or so, haven't kept up with all the developments as I should have.  Mangini was a pleasant suprise.  We'll all miss MP for his contribution, talent, and history, but I think DT has a bright future with MM.  I'd love to go to another show on the tour but I believe they are playing the same setlist in the states.  Looking forward to their return when they have a new setlist!  My DT obsession has been rekindled!

Offline complexx

« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2012, 08:27:24 AM »

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2012, 08:47:35 AM »
You can see the back of my head at the bottom of that picture.  :laugh:

This is almost a week overdue, but my thoughts on show:
Let me just sum it up into 2 words. It's early and I don't feel like thinking.
"Fuckin AMAZING."

Offline lsuber

« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2012, 10:34:44 AM »
My brother and I were at this show and we both thought it was great. The set list gave a nice mix of songs that spanned their entire career, the stage set was cool, the lights were awesome. I thought the energy of the audience was good, and an interesting mix of ages. If I could change one thing, it would have been the sound in two areas. The mix seemed a little off, like the bass and vocals sometimes were lost. And the volume was too much. I've heard the "If it's too loud, you're too old" line, but it honestly was a little too much. There's a lot of intracacy in their music that was lost in the white noise of excessive volume. I wanted to be able hear some of JP's riffs more cleanly, but the volume overload washed it out at times. There are bands where the technical ability needs to be masked by volume overkill, but this isn't one of them.