Author Topic: Cheers appreciation thread  (Read 8158 times)

Offline yorost

• Inactive
Re: Cheers appreciation thread
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2012, 05:23:55 PM »
So?  Best beers of most locations stay in that location.  Mass beers are what gets around the most because they make deals to brew each others beer.  Miller/Coors/Bud just fill something many brewers could have filled and the world wouldn't be different.  Kudos to them for capturing their market.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
I read a book!
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2012, 12:24:27 AM »
An interesting twist in this story is that German immigrants in the 19th century were a strong presence both by numbers and by influence in bringing in and popularizing lower-flavor, more watery, more adjuncted beer to America.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2012, 08:46:40 AM »
They weren't the only brewers around, though.  Milwaukee had 23 brewers before it had been a city for 23 years, but only 4 or 5 were ever the Milwaukee Beer Barons.  Milwaukee did have the first mass brewery in the US, though, and I think before we were even a state.  It shipped along the Great Lakes, especially Chicago.

What's really interesting is prohibition and it's influence on all these old brewers.  Wisconsin passed a referendum allowing sale of 'near' beer, something like a 2% by weight cap.  Some went to soda and stuff, a really old brewer(1850's) I grew up by sells as much or more soda than they do beer.  They make it all in the same little brewery. :lol  If you know Leinenkugel's, I think they survived by bottling and shipping water.  I should find the article, but when prohibition was lifted I think the mayor led a city wide party in Milwaukee. :lol

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2012, 02:23:11 PM »
CHEERS IS PERFORMED IN FRONT A LIVE STUDIO AUDIENCE.

Christ, I get it. I started watching this show again and I forgot that they did that at the start of every episode. It gets really annoying when you watch a whole bunch of them in a row :lol

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2012, 02:29:34 PM »
https://kenlevine.blogspot.com/2010/07/some-things-you-wanted-to-know-about.html

I have some rather anal questions about the "Cheers is filmed before a live studio audience" announcement.

a) What prompted it?
b) Was there some rule about which actor would introduce each episode?

We were getting complaints from viewers who thought we were leaning on the laugh track too hard. They didn’t believe that the laughs were real (which they were). So the decision was made to tell the viewers that the show was filmed in front of a live studio audience. Of course the complaints continued. People still didn’t believe that the laughs were genuine (which they were).

There was no rule as to which actor voiced it from week to week. They all recorded the disclaimer and the post production guys just rotated them I guess.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2012, 02:33:32 PM »
Yeah, I kind of guessed it was something like that.

I find the disclaimer more annoying than the laugh track :lol

Offline T-ski

« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2012, 09:07:10 AM »
Classic show.  Loved when Harry the Hat showed up.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2012, 09:32:30 AM »
The laughs being real is always better than a laugh track.  Listen to the crowd roar at Frasier's one-liner at 8:30 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJcpe8IZicM  That is like the best one-liner ever in the history of the show (helped immensely by Kelsey Grammer's deadpan delivery), given the context, and the crowd recognizes how awesome it is and howls like crazy.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2012, 06:33:16 PM »
"Excuse me, I've been experiencing grief all afternoon and instead of killing myself, I would like to take you out to dinner" - best pick up line ever :lol

• DT.net Member
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2012, 08:45:44 PM »
https://kenlevine.blogspot.com/2010/07/some-things-you-wanted-to-know-about.html

I have some rather anal questions about the "Cheers is filmed before a live studio audience" announcement.

a) What prompted it?
b) Was there some rule about which actor would introduce each episode?

We were getting complaints from viewers who thought we were leaning on the laugh track too hard. They didn’t believe that the laughs were real (which they were). So the decision was made to tell the viewers that the show was filmed in front of a live studio audience. Of course the complaints continued. People still didn’t believe that the laughs were genuine (which they were).

There was no rule as to which actor voiced it from week to week. They all recorded the disclaimer and the post production guys just rotated them I guess.

The disclaimer wasn't uttered before a live studio audience?!?  :omg:
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2012, 03:04:09 PM »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2013, 12:46:31 PM »
20 years ago today, the final episode of Cheers aired.  Wow, how time flies.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2013, 02:11:47 PM »
Wow, I would have guessed it was older than that. Seems like a show from my youth, rather than my mid twenties.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2013, 02:53:18 PM »
Holy shit, I feel old.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2013, 11:58:22 PM »
I remember eating my first blueberry toaster strudel as I watched it.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2013, 12:24:11 AM »
Holy shit, I feel old.

Yup.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2022, 06:46:25 PM »
RIP Kirstie Alley
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2022, 06:52:34 PM »
Damn Cancer.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Realm

« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2022, 06:53:20 PM »
Yes RIP Kirsty Alley. A big part of what made Cheers such an iconic show.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2022, 06:53:58 PM »
 :omg: :'(

F#ck cancer.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2022, 07:18:40 PM »
R.I.P.

She was a very good addition to the show following Long's departure.  She has many LOL moments in her six seasons. 

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2022, 07:21:39 PM »
I was a much bigger fan of the Rebecca era. Cheers is my #1 sitcom (maybe #1 overall) of all time.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2022, 07:23:09 PM »
Not a fan of the person but loved her as Rebecca and a few other roles of hers.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2022, 08:18:59 PM »
I was a much bigger fan of the Rebecca era. Cheers is my #1 sitcom (maybe #1 overall) of all time.

I discovered Cheers in that era as well, so that was my favorite. It was strange to backtrack. I never bought in to the Sam & Diane relationship, and found Woody funnier, and a better fit within the cast, than Coach.

Star Trek II director Nicholas Meyer said he really enjoyed working with her as Saavik, because that character was so unlike the jovial person she was in real life.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2022, 09:31:09 PM »
That's a damn shame. I liked her as both versions of Rebecka Howe, and she was cute as fuck with the ears.

What made Cheers so good was being able to change courses as they did. Woody was a great change-up from Coach, and Rebecka 1 was the polar opposite of Diane. Great direction to go with it. I didn't like Rebecka 2 as much, but Kirstie did great with her and I understand why they needed to change things around.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2022, 11:03:45 PM »
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2022, 06:14:35 AM »
That's a damn shame. I liked her as both versions of Rebecka Howe, and she was cute as fuck with the ears.

What made Cheers so good was being able to change courses as they did. Woody was a great change-up from Coach, and Rebecka 1 was the polar opposite of Diane. Great direction to go with it. I didn't like Rebecka 2 as much, but Kirstie did great with her and I understand why they needed to change things around.

Agreed. Smart move as well to change the Rebecca character early on, as her stoic personality apparently really wasn't doing much for viewers, but once the episode aired (I think her 5th or 6th) where Norm painted her office and she became a bit of a mess and cried to him about something, the writers realized that that was the way to go, and she became a hot mess on a regular basis.  And she played it well.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2022, 07:05:30 AM »

Agreed. Smart move as well to change the Rebecca character early on, as her stoic personality apparently really wasn't doing much for viewers, but once the episode aired (I think her 5th or 6th) where Norm painted her office and she became a bit of a mess and cried to him about something, the writers realized that that was the way to go, and she became a hot mess on a regular basis.  And she played it well.

I actually got to see a taping of Cheers back in the day.  Like Jingle, it might be my favorite sitcom of all time. Frasier is really the only character I didn't fully go for. 

I had a huge crush on Kirstie Alley from Day One (which would have been that horrible movie Runaway with Tom Selleck and Gene Simmons), which endured even into her later life.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2022, 07:16:15 AM »
Hey! Runaway was awesome! And I thought Simmons made a pretty great villain in both the movies he was in!

(Love the “F*** the bonus..” ending in Wanted Dead or Alive with Rutger Hauer)

Re: Kirstie. This news made me really sad. I too had a crush on her back in the day. She was the first “hot Vulcan” as Saavak in Wrath of Khan, and I was always bummed she didn’t continue that character. She brought a level of vulnerability to the role that was sorely missed in her replacement’s performance.

RIP
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2022, 05:37:03 PM »

I actually got to see a taping of Cheers back in the day.  Like Jingle, it might be my favorite sitcom of all time. Frasier is really the only character I didn't fully go for. 

I had a huge crush on Kirstie Alley from Day One (which would have been that horrible movie Runaway with Tom Selleck and Gene Simmons), which endured even into her later life.

Oh, wow, that makes me a little sad, considering Frasier is one of my favorite TV sitcom characters ever based solely off Cheers.  He was good on his own show as well, but he had a little extra bite as a supporting character on the mother show.  I still love that he was originally supposed to be in a handful of episodes, but was so funny that they kept him around and the rest is history. And the writers said they would give them the worst lines on paper because they knew he could make anything funny with his delivery.  And he always did.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2022, 06:01:25 PM »
Me and hubby rewatched Cheers from start to finish shortly after the pandemic shut us all down.  it is an awesome show and I thoroughly enjoyed it as much as I did when it originally aired.  Probably more.  I liked Rebecca's addition to the show, but I'm team Diane.  There was more chemistry there between Sam and Diane.

Kristie Alley was a fine actress and definitely a very beautiful woman.  On a personal level, esp with the Scientology bent - she got a bit too far out there for me.  But she seemed essentially harmless.  It was an honor to be blocked on Twitter by her.  I'm fairly certain I asked a question about Scientology that she didn't like.  Her Trump posts always amused me though.

The first few seasons of Fraiser IMO are some of the best episodes of comedic television writing out there.  Hands down.  I can see someone not liking the actors I guess.  I thought it was a helluva spin off.

As tribute to this beauty - which is your favorite?

Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: December 06, 2022, 06:10:30 PM »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2022, 10:18:41 AM »

If rows are letters and columns are numbers, I'm going with, in no particular order, A2, B1, B4, D1 and D2.  So much excess fabric in some of those shots!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2022, 02:52:27 PM »

Oh, wow, that makes me a little sad, considering Frasier is one of my favorite TV sitcom characters ever based solely off Cheers.  He was good on his own show as well, but he had a little extra bite as a supporting character on the mother show.  I still love that he was originally supposed to be in a handful of episodes, but was so funny that they kept him around and the rest is history. And the writers said they would give them the worst lines on paper because they knew he could make anything funny with his delivery.  And he always did.

Well, to be clear, I don't like Frazier BECAUSE of his show; they sanded off the rough edges as they almost always have to do with a main character.  I did like him on Cheers, especially with Lilith.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2022, 02:55:05 PM »
Me and hubby rewatched Cheers from start to finish shortly after the pandemic shut us all down.  it is an awesome show and I thoroughly enjoyed it as much as I did when it originally aired.  Probably more.  I liked Rebecca's addition to the show, but I'm team Diane.  There was more chemistry there between Sam and Diane.

Kristie Alley was a fine actress and definitely a very beautiful woman.  On a personal level, esp with the Scientology bent - she got a bit too far out there for me.  But she seemed essentially harmless.  It was an honor to be blocked on Twitter by her.  I'm fairly certain I asked a question about Scientology that she didn't like.  Her Trump posts always amused me though.

The first few seasons of Fraiser IMO are some of the best episodes of comedic television writing out there.  Hands down.  I can see someone not liking the actors I guess.  I thought it was a helluva spin off.

My favorite?  Yes.  I thought she was beautiful even later in life (size doesn't matter to me).   I'm also a hair guy, so for me, using PG's system, A2, B5, E2.