Author Topic: The Official Ghost Thread v. summer 2023 US tour  (Read 117898 times)

Offline Mladen

Re: The Official Ghost Thread v. New album March 2022
« Reply #1085 on: October 17, 2022, 04:13:35 AM »
Yep, most of the new album could pass. Except if the kids happen to know who Mefistofeles is.  :lol

Also, do not forget to exclude Twenties. For obvious reasons.  ;D

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #1086 on: October 25, 2022, 09:15:28 PM »
So, I'm not sure if this has been brought up, but does anyone else feel like there have been some recent songs by Ghost that REALLY sound like things classic Jethro Tull would do?

Notwithstanding obvious arrangement and production differences, I was really surprised at how much Miasma (to a degree) and particularly Call Me Little Sunshine sound like Ian Anderson/Martin Barre ideas.

Conversely, it feels really easy to imagine current Ghost playing something like To Cry You a Song  :metal

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1087 on: January 25, 2023, 03:11:56 PM »
Anyone want to make a guess?

https://youtu.be/fEll1eM04ds
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1088 on: January 26, 2023, 12:30:38 AM »

Apparently it's a new version of Spillways with Joe Elliott (Def Leppard) on vocals.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1089 on: January 26, 2023, 08:27:44 AM »

Apparently it's a new version of Spillways with Joe Elliott (Def Leppard) on vocals.

It is, but I have to be honest, not sure you can even tell Joe is singing…. https://youtu.be/NnD_puW9kr8
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1090 on: January 26, 2023, 09:00:02 AM »

It is, but I have to be honest, not sure you can even tell Joe is singing…. https://youtu.be/NnD_puW9kr8

I think Joe's sound comes out pretty well in the lyric video.

And now I'm itching for another listen to Impera lol. Gonna have to fire it up after Witherfall's Prelude to Sorrow finishes on the record player (by which I mean Apple Music).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1091 on: January 26, 2023, 09:15:36 AM »
You can hear Joe better on the lines that are just him, but when they both sing it's harder to tell.  Honestly, I think it's cool (I'm a DL fan) to see this collab, but the end result is kind of meh for me.

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1092 on: January 26, 2023, 09:54:35 AM »
You can hear Joe better on the lines that are just him, but when they both sing it's harder to tell....

Without a doubt. Is this collab completely unnecessary? Absolutely. Is it still fun? You bet.

Spillways is my favorite track on the record, so there's no such thing as too much Spillways for this guy. One of my favorite YouTube guitar players (Erock) is a huge fan of Ghost. I've been waiting for him to cover the song with his take on the solo, which I expect will be ridiculous shredding.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1093 on: February 13, 2023, 08:56:30 AM »

that last date at the forum is Ghost only and a phone free event, maybe a live album taping?

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1094 on: February 13, 2023, 09:26:51 AM »
Is that when Papa Emeritus IV will meet his demise? or it's too soon and there will be more concerts next year?

It has to be said however than when he was anointed Papa they didn't bother to forbid cameras, so I tend more on the "live album" thing...
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1095 on: February 13, 2023, 09:35:30 AM »
Is that when Papa Emeritus IV will meet his demise? or it's too soon and there will be more concerts next year?

It has to be said however than when he was anointed Papa they didn't bother to forbid cameras, so I tend more on the "live album" thing...

Probably both the end of this current version of Ghost and a live recording of it.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1096 on: February 13, 2023, 09:40:22 AM »
We'll see. I still have my idea that, if Papa Nihil can be brought back to life, so can the other three previous Papas, and they will kill Copia / Emeritus IV who will be exposed as an imposter, see his very name (means "copy" in italian) and the last stanza of Respite on the Spitalfields talking about the "king that they hailed" being just "the wizard of Oz", another imposter  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #1097 on: February 13, 2023, 12:24:43 PM »
I LOVE Ghost—I love the songs, I love the costumes, I love the facepaint...I mean, to me, they scratch the same itch as KISS.

That all said, the whole 'Papa Whatever the IV' thing is, by far, the dumbest thing ever (In my opinion). It is completely lost upon me.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1098 on: February 13, 2023, 12:28:07 PM »
It is completely lost upon me.

Same.  I don't really care for the lore of the band.  I'm here for the music. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1099 on: February 13, 2023, 06:15:19 PM »
Whoa, playing the White River Amphitheater up here. Nice!

I like aspects of their lore, but can't say I really follow it. I do appreciate they are trying to do something unique.

That phone policy is... I don't know, I get it is their deal and they can run it however they want, but something about being a husband and father and not having access to my phone every second of my life is something I struggle with.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1100 on: February 13, 2023, 06:19:31 PM »
That phone policy is... I don't know, I get it is their deal and they can run it however they want, but something about being a husband and father and not having access to my phone every second of my life is something I struggle with.

It's only for the one show in LA.  It sounds like a Yondr pouch show, which I've been to before.  You put your phone in a pouch that you can put in your pocket for the show.  If you need to use your phone, you can walk out to the concessions and there will be a spot you can go to to unlock it and use your phone there before they make you put it back in to return to the seating area. I'm not a big fan of this in general, but this is the better implementation of a no camera policy than the usher approach some bands use IMO

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1101 on: February 13, 2023, 06:29:31 PM »

It's only for the one show in LA.  It sounds like a Yondr pouch show, which I've been to before.  You put your phone in a pouch that you can put in your pocket for the show.  If you need to use your phone, you can walk out to the concessions and there will be a spot you can go to to unlock it and use your phone there before they make you put it back in to return to the seating area. I'm not a big fan of this in general, but this is the better implementation of a no camera policy than the usher approach some bands use IMO

Not a concert goer so never heard of those or experienced that. I like how it is clearly spelled out and yes maybe better than ushers scouring the seats for cell phone usage. I just think about being a parent and away from home, and not being available. It's more psychological than anything. 20 years ago we couldn't contact anyone at any time from a small device that fits in our pocket and managed to survive.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1102 on: February 13, 2023, 06:39:58 PM »

Not a concert goer so never heard of those or experienced that. I like how it is clearly spelled out and yes maybe better than ushers scouring the seats for cell phone usage. I just think about being a parent and away from home, and not being available. It's more psychological than anything. 20 years ago we couldn't contact anyone at any time from a small device that fits in our pocket and managed to survive.

Yeah, I think your concern is the biggest issue with this.  I guess the ushers would still allow you to take a text quickly.  I know when I saw Porcupine Tree, they were pretty strict about pulling a phone out at all but you probably could sneak it in quickly before they noticed you and got to your location.  I'm not a fan of bands generally having this policy, but I'm not too bothered if it's part of filming a show.  In fact, it kind of makes sense in that case.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1103 on: February 13, 2023, 07:21:41 PM »
Again, as someone who doesn't frequent concerts or buy concert videos, I don't really get it. Are people really thinking "No way am I going to buy that professionally produced concert video, I can just watch what some dude posted on YouTube that he filmed from the 300 level..."?

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1104 on: February 15, 2023, 04:00:36 AM »
I LOVE Ghost—I love the songs, I love the costumes, I love the facepaint...I mean, to me, they scratch the same itch as KISS.

That all said, the whole 'Papa Whatever the IV' thing is, by far, the dumbest thing ever (In my opinion). It is completely lost upon me.

It's just something more, a fun and nerd way to play around with the image of the band.

What if Kiss at a point got tired of wearing the same makeup and the band members came up with new characters? it's a bit like that.

Of course, there was really no "need" for the character to change, every normal band changes their outfits and appearances from tour to tour so there's nothing preventing Tobias from playing the same character who changes the appeareance to fit the overall theme of the album / tour, but well, he felt at the beginning to do this trick (and it even played well with the lore, when the band was small and anonymous enough for some people to really assume there was a singer change, rather than just a character change), so I guess this is the deal.

I personally don't mind and I even enjoy the lore, it's something more for nerd people who like this kind of stuff, but it's not so distracting to the point that you "have" to follow the lore to enjoy the live show. You can still be a fan, listen to their albums, go to their live shows, and you don't miss out on absolutely anything if you don't follow the lore of the band.

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #1105 on: February 15, 2023, 05:52:11 AM »

It's just something more, a fun and nerd way to play around with the image of the band.

What if Kiss at a point got tired of wearing the same makeup and the band members came up with new characters? it's a bit like that.

Of course, there was really no "need" for the character to change, every normal band changes their outfits and appearances from tour to tour so there's nothing preventing Tobias from playing the same character who changes the appeareance to fit the overall theme of the album / tour, but well, he felt at the beginning to do this trick (and it even played well with the lore, when the band was small and anonymous enough for some people to really assume there was a singer change, rather than just a character change), so I guess this is the deal.

I personally don't mind and I even enjoy the lore, it's something more for nerd people who like this kind of stuff, but it's not so distracting to the point that you "have" to follow the lore to enjoy the live show. You can still be a fan, listen to their albums, go to their live shows, and you don't miss out on absolutely anything if you don't follow the lore of the band.

That's a fair point and a good analogy!

To that point—Kiss did add more characters, and honestly, once they did, they kinda lost me there as well.

That all said, no amount of ridiculous KISS PR decisions could change my thoughts on my favorite KISS albums—Ghost is no different.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1106 on: February 15, 2023, 12:40:39 PM »
I'm thinking about checking this out. I enjoyed how their new songs sounded, and consider it their best stuff. I also wouldn't mind seeing Amon Amarth either. But, we'll see how much tickets cost, and If I can even get a standard pit ticket without those tickets being a part of a VIP package.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1107 on: February 15, 2023, 12:43:49 PM »

My comment wasn't meant to diss the lore of the band, just that it's not of interest to me. But generally, I don't have an issue and it can be kind of cool and interesting as the music changes with the lore. 

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #1108 on: February 15, 2023, 01:41:36 PM »
Christ these guys have gotten expensive to see, a far cry from my first time seeing them. 

$90 after fees for upper bowl at the Forum, $150 for GA floor.  I get that it's probably going to be a special show for the end of the tour, but yeesh

Factor in the variable pricing and it's becoming detective work to figure out the best time to buy a ticket these days  :facepalm:

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1109 on: February 15, 2023, 02:06:36 PM »
Christ these guys have gotten expensive to see, a far cry from my first time seeing them. 

$90 after fees for upper bowl at the Forum, $150 for GA floor.  I get that it's probably going to be a special show for the end of the tour, but yeesh

Factor in the variable pricing and it's becoming detective work to figure out the best time to buy a ticket these days  :facepalm:

It feels like the stock market to me. Having to pay attention to which time might be the best moment to buy tickets as the seats will be released or the pricing goes down to due to hype dying down. And then deciding to buy when it's low.  :yarr
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #1110 on: February 17, 2023, 12:12:04 PM »
with a second LA Forum show added I said screw it and managed to snag a seat in the front row of the lower bowl down the side, and somehow these are even more expensive!  The most i saw for face value was $200 after fees, mine was around $160ish.  Add on guaranteed $45+ for parking and its no wonder I don't go to more Forum shows  :\

The no phone element is a bummer, especially at a venue of this size where I can see delays in entering the venue due to the Yondr process, but it'll be cool to witness a unique Ghost show where they're likely introducing a new Papa.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1111 on: February 17, 2023, 12:18:02 PM »
The no phone element is a bummer, especially at a venue of this size where I can see delays in entering the venue due to the Yondr process, but it'll be cool to witness a unique Ghost show where they're likely introducing a new Papa.

In the latest clip of their wacky YouTube shorts, they were carrying around an empty coffin, like the ones they use to display, during meet n' greets, the bodies of the previous Papas. And our boy was a bit confused and startled by the sight. Maybe it's a misdirection but it looks like his time might come soon.

I wonder if they'll add a twist in the story, going from Papa to Papa was predictable so Tobias came up with the cardinal, let's see if we'll have simply another "normal" character swap, or he'll do something different and even wackier  :lol

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: The Official Ghost Thread v. summer 2023 US tour
« Reply #1112 on: April 09, 2023, 01:37:55 AM »
New EP Phantomime coming, May 18th

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1113 on: April 09, 2023, 03:16:11 AM »
This is basically a leak, they put it up too early and took it down.

Just like it happened in the past, it's a cover EP, and it includes Phantom of the Opera!!!! will it be the musical song, or the Iron Maiden one? my bet is on the former  :D

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1114 on: April 09, 2023, 07:36:22 AM »
It is apparently the Iron Maiden cover. Also, the cover of Jesus he knows me was just released. They turned an average pop ditty by a legendary prog band into a powerful summer rocker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE3kJeBr9QI&ab_channel=Ghost

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #1115 on: April 09, 2023, 07:48:13 AM »
I might look forward to their cover EPs more than their actual albums. I just never know what I'm gonna get. Apparently there's also a Tina Turner cover on it which should be interesting.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1116 on: April 09, 2023, 07:48:59 AM »
Pretty awesome  :metal

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1117 on: April 09, 2023, 09:02:12 AM »
New single is great! They do have a knack for picking great songs to cover!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1118 on: April 09, 2023, 10:24:43 AM »
[MESSAGE FROM THE CLERGY]

Ghost's new Phantomime EP is a devilish debut of 5 incorrigible covers. It is out everywhere May 18th and available for pre-order here: https://i.ghost-official.com/Phantomime

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1119 on: April 10, 2023, 02:29:40 PM »
Obsessed with the new single. Bring on that EP, Papa!