Author Topic: The Official Ghost Thread v. summer 2023 US tour  (Read 117951 times)

Offline Mladen

Re: The Official Ghost Thread v. They're RATS! Aah aha AAH AAH!
« Reply #770 on: September 12, 2019, 07:04:13 AM »
That was so much fun. Tobias never ceases to amaze.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #771 on: September 12, 2019, 08:39:22 AM »
New EP coming out Friday the 13th apparently.

"Seven Inches of Satanic Panic"

1. Kiss The Go-Goat
2. Mary On A Cross
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 11:01:31 AM by Metropolaris »

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #772 on: September 12, 2019, 08:49:17 AM »
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #773 on: September 12, 2019, 09:36:30 AM »
WTF :lol
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Art

« Reply #774 on: September 12, 2019, 10:37:22 AM »
Awesome  :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #775 on: September 12, 2019, 11:43:56 AM »
Heard the song, it's lucky that I'm in a moment when I'm very keen on retro / occult music, 'cause it falls in line with other bands I'm listening now, plus it's anyway a funny little song.

Anyway, you gotta admire Tobi's creativity. He writes a very retro sounding song, so how does he tie it with the mythology? but of course it's a song sang by a young Papa Nihil in the summer of love  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #776 on: September 12, 2019, 09:25:04 PM »
Anyway, you gotta admire Tobi's creativity. He writes a very retro sounding song, so how does he tie it with the mythology? but of course it's a song sang by a young Papa Nihil in the summer of love  :lol

No doubt there!

I am pretty new to the Ghost train so am not up on the mythology of the band. But damn if I don't enjoy the music. Can't wait to see the show in 7 days!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #777 on: September 12, 2019, 10:05:10 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5mX3NkA7jM&pbjreload=10

Mary On A Cross

Goddamn, he writes catchy music.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #778 on: September 13, 2019, 12:18:20 AM »
Two great songs, as expected. I've always really liked the catchy side of their style.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #779 on: September 13, 2019, 02:15:43 AM »

No doubt there!

I am pretty new to the Ghost train so am not up on the mythology of the band. But damn if I don't enjoy the music. Can't wait to see the show in 7 days!

The backstory in short:

The band Ghost "belongs" to a satanic cult that wants to spread satanism throughout the world or whatever, they identify themselves as "the clergy", that's why whenever you see some announcement it's always "The Clergy wishes to inform you that....".

The whole thing is a spoof of the catholic church so the singer presents himself as "Papa Emeritus". After every album the "pope" got replaced, because he wasn't spreading the message good enough, and so Papa Emeritus got replaced with Emeritus II and he, in turn, with Emeritus III (always the same singer, Tobias Forge).
When Emeritus III got the boot, he got dragged by "security" out of the stage, and appeared a very, very old looking "pope", called "Papa Nihil" or "Papa 0", basically the mastermind of the whole thing. He announced a new chapter and eventually the new singer (again, always the same dude with a different character) was now a cardinal - Cardinal Copia, the current frontman. (It was becoming predictable and stale to change pope with every album, so they came up with the idea of a cardinal this time around).

So this is where we are now, and these two now songs, sounding very retro, are being presented as a 50th anniversary re-release of an album that never existed in the first place, and sung by Papa Nihil when he was young (in the video clip the caption clearly mark the year as 1969). I don't know which idea came first to Tobias - to have an EP with the "very old singer from the '60s" hence he wrote two songs in that style, or he happened to write two songs in that style and came up with the backstory of forgotten 1969 recordings to justify that.

The point is that there's a good theatricality and creative fun behind the whole Ghost image and it's not to be taken tremendously seriously, enjoy the ride and this mashup of satanic cults, slapstick comedy as it can be seen in the short videos they're posting on YouTube and good rocking music  :metal

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #780 on: September 13, 2019, 11:27:40 PM »
MM, appreciate the summary. I knew the highlights but much of that fleshed out the details I wasn't aware of, and just make the mythology that much more awesome. Of course it is nothing without solid music, which they keep delivering. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #781 on: September 14, 2019, 01:33:22 AM »
More great stuff from Ghost. 👍

The catchier the better for me.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #782 on: September 14, 2019, 10:51:29 PM »
To anyone who has been to a show on the current tour... what time did Ghost's set start?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #783 on: September 15, 2019, 04:17:16 PM »
Honestly don't care for either of these two tracks.  It's kind of a cool story to do this though.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #784 on: September 15, 2019, 06:57:40 PM »
As long as they play Elizabeth and Secular Haze.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #785 on: September 15, 2019, 07:08:16 PM »
Anyone here going to the Seattle show?

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #786 on: September 15, 2019, 07:38:30 PM »
Great songs! Really catchy chorus! I've really enjoyed this whole mythology thing.

I've never see them live, i hope they come back to México soon.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #787 on: September 15, 2019, 07:59:29 PM »
Looks like the new tour is shorter than the last few tours, only 20 songs this time around. Shouldn't a tour called: Ultimate Tour Named Death be the biggest and longest spectacle? Apparently the show is only an hour and a half
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #788 on: September 15, 2019, 10:04:06 PM »
Looks like the new tour is shorter than the last few tours, only 20 songs this time around. Shouldn't a tour called: Ultimate Tour Named Death be the biggest and longest spectacle? Apparently the show is only an hour and a half

Do they have an opener now? Last tour was an evening with format and they played two ~75 minute sets

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #789 on: September 15, 2019, 10:12:31 PM »
They do have an opener, but they did in Europe earlier the year (Candlemass) and still did the two 75 minute sets
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #790 on: September 16, 2019, 12:22:35 AM »
Damn, I've been listening to them a lot lately and I'm thinking about seeing them in December but ticket is so pricey... the fact I like Tribulation doesn't help either :lol
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #791 on: September 17, 2019, 04:03:32 AM »
I was thinking of the two "hippie" new songs and how they create a wonderful contrast with the image, or at least the perceived image, of the band  :D

Casual person who knows next to nothing about Ghost: "Geez, here's another band posing as evil and obscure, look at those masks and costumes, I can only imagine what sordid dark lyrics they must have, they must be unholy litanies praising the devil or something"

Actual Ghost song: "You've been daddied by all the dudes who wanna dad"

:rollin

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #792 on: September 17, 2019, 08:12:57 AM »
I'm a casual Ghost fan - even that is too strong - but I REALLY liked "Kiss The Go-Goat".  I'll check out Marysoon.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #793 on: September 17, 2019, 08:35:06 AM »
I was thinking of the two "hippie" new songs and how they create a wonderful contrast with the image, or at least the perceived image, of the band  :D

Casual person who knows next to nothing about Ghost: "Geez, here's another band posing as evil and obscure, look at those masks and costumes, I can only imagine what sordid dark lyrics they must have, they must be unholy litanies praising the devil or something"

Actual Ghost song: "You've been daddied by all the dudes who wanna dad"

:rollin

Well, it's not like it's that much different than your normal Ghost reaction.  Only a subset of their music really relates to their image IMO. 

Honestly never cared for the satanist image, but since they don't take it seriously it's a lot easier for me to enjoy and doing songs that don't fit that satanist image is pretty cool in my mind.  Dance Macabre is a good example too.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #794 on: September 17, 2019, 08:48:16 AM »
Indeed, that's the fun part of it, the whole dark / satanic side of the band is clearly not taken seriously.

Speaking of Dance Macabre, it's indeed a nice contrast; the image of the band plus the subject matter (two lovers preparing to die from the plague) would brace anyone for a very dark song, but instead you get a '80s revival that could, would and should have been a crossover summer hit  :lol

I wonder how many casual listeners are sure the chorus goes "I wanna be with you" never realizing it's "I wanna bewitch you".

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #795 on: September 17, 2019, 08:59:47 AM »
I wonder how many casual listeners are sure the chorus goes "I wanna be with you" never realizing it's "I wanna bewitch you".

I was one of them  :lol My x really liked that song and when I told her the real lyric she no longer was interested

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #796 on: September 17, 2019, 09:56:06 AM »
Didn't Tobias claim to have seriously embraced Satanism as a younger man?  Just asking out of curiosity as it doesn't really seem too serious in the music, and it doesn't bother me any more than any other lyrical content I don't agree with (and there's a lot). 

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #797 on: September 17, 2019, 08:03:07 PM »
I think he has said he embraced the cultural aspect of Satanism like the music, film, and iconography. He grew up around heavy metal because of his brother. He was never into the Anton LeVey side of it. He hated religion though because he had negative experiences with it from teachers. He’s also said he appreciates some aspects of Christianity, and used to visit churches when on tour because he loves the architecture and aesthetic. He’s also expressed a belief in some spiritual force, I think in an interview he said life is too strange for there not to be something after this. He just doesn’t know what.

So short answer, he’s not a satanist, but likes the pop culture element around it. I still remember when they first came around, not being sure what the hell I was watching.
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #798 on: September 18, 2019, 08:48:32 AM »
Thanks for that (seriously).  That sort of gives me a perspective for some of the things I'm seeing with him and the band. 

I think I'm turning into a fan...

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #799 on: September 20, 2019, 06:35:53 PM »
Saw Ghost live last night for the first time. Was very impressed with the show, the presentation, and the venue, which I had not been to before. I feel some people are born to sing (James LaBrie), some are born to sing on stage (Freddie Mercury, Bruce Dickinson), and maybe some are just meant to be on stage, like Tobias. That isn't a knock on his singing. I just feel he could do pretty much anything on stage in front of an audience and make it entertaining.

Did not realize the Cardinal was so vulgar. Is Tobias always like that or is that a characteristic of the Cardinal? My 8 year old daughter almost went to the show with me. I would have had to explain to her what it meant when Tobias asked if a certain song "tickled our taint."

Thinking about the show afterward, it seems like they are a fun band to be a fan of. Lots of bands I consider myself a fan of, but only because I enjoy the music. Being a fan of Ghost feels fun.

After the show some guy was saying before the show as they were testing the pyros one of them caught a curtain on fire. If true glad that didn't turn in to something disastrous.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #800 on: September 20, 2019, 07:42:50 PM »
Cardinal Copia and Papa III were pretty vulgar characters, but they are essentially the same character. He says the same stuff as he did as Papa III. Papa I and II barely talked, but the papal robes with the cross staff were pretty damn intimidating in person and that alone had stage presence. Shows were fun back then too when they had minimal lighting and backdrops. They just have great stage presence.

How long was the show? I’ve heard hour and a half, which is kinda disappointing.
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #801 on: September 20, 2019, 08:34:00 PM »
Wasn't keeping track of time but that sonds about right, maybe 9p-1040p. I got there about the time the opener was wrappign up (by design, I had a busy day) so I onyl saw the Ghost set. It felt short if I thought in terms of a DT "Evening with...." show but otherwise it didn't feel disappointingly short.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #802 on: September 20, 2019, 08:42:03 PM »

Did not realize the Cardinal was so vulgar. Is Tobias always like that or is that a characteristic of the Cardinal? My 8 year old daughter almost went to the show with me. I would have had to explain to her what it meant when Tobias asked if a certain song "tickled our taint."

I saw them open for Iron Maiden a couple of years ago. He went on and on before one song talking about orgasms. I mean, c'mon, give me a break. How fucking lame.

That said, I thought they were really good. I haven't been able to get into their studio albums, but I bought the live album after that tour and it's pretty good. I became a fan of that band, as they change members quite a bit.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #803 on: September 20, 2019, 08:45:44 PM »
This whole album cycle, the tours have been two and a half hours, so it kinda feels weird to have a shorter set, but now I’m just sounding spoiled. Glad you had fun and witnessed the spectacle of Ghost in concert. They truly are something else. So cool!

The crowds have definitely evolved. When I first started seeing them 8 years ago, it was a bunch of metal heads, very few women. Now there’s kids, grandmas, grandpas, teens, everybody in between. It’s really cool to see that evolution, although I do hope Ghost never becomes the concert that people talk loudly to each other during songs they don’t care about. At Ghost concerts, everyone seems to be there to listen to the music. It’s great

As for TAC, that band on the live album is still mostly there. The bass player is new and the keyboardists are different in that there are two of them and both women. But its still the same drummer and guitarists (lead and rhythm switched places though).
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #804 on: September 20, 2019, 08:48:55 PM »
The crowds have definitely evolved. When I first started seeing them 8 years ago, it was a bunch of metal heads, very few women. Now there’s kids, grandmas, grandpas, teens, everybody in between. It’s really cool to see that evolution, although I do hope Ghost never becomes the concert that people talk loudly to each other during songs they don’t care about. At Ghost concerts, everyone seems to be there to listen to the music. It’s great

I was a pretty diverse crowd, though I only saw two kids, one of them being a friend and classmate of my daughter. The other was dressed in full Papa (I am not sure which one, I don't know them that well by sight). Everyone did seem totally in to it, not many significant others who were only there because their boy/girlfriend/spouse asked them to join them.