Author Topic: The Official Ghost Thread v. summer 2023 US tour  (Read 117907 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: The Official Ghost Thread v. They're RATS! Aah aha AAH AAH!
« Reply #735 on: March 04, 2019, 03:54:23 PM »
Can't stop listening to Dance Macabre, they sure know how to write catchy songs.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #736 on: March 05, 2019, 02:08:51 AM »
That was my Song Of The Year last year. Their best song together with Square Hammer.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #737 on: March 05, 2019, 10:36:32 AM »
Off of the last album Rats is certainly the best song, and superior single imo.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #738 on: March 06, 2019, 01:21:01 AM »
Both are really strong singles.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #739 on: March 06, 2019, 01:22:29 AM »
Yeah if I were to make a Top 3 Ghost song list, those would be the three for me (DM, SH, and Rats).

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #740 on: March 06, 2019, 01:37:35 AM »
The sax part in Miasma is giving me tingles.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #741 on: March 06, 2019, 01:41:06 AM »
Yeah if I were to make a Top 3 Ghost song list, those would be the three for me (DM, SH, and Rats).

Yea, this is a band where their singles are their best.  Not that I dislike their other tracks, but those three songs are amazing.

The sax part in Miasma is giving me tingles.

Yea, maybe my favorite part on the album.... and then it goes into DM  :metal :metal

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #742 on: March 06, 2019, 07:18:01 AM »

I don't think I could make a top 3 of songs, maybe not even a top 10. The only songs i don't absolutely love are Mummy Dust, Prime Mover, Depth of Satan's Eyes, Jigolo Har Megiddo and Faith. And even those, are good songs.

Now I'm thinking, maybe you were just talking about a Top 3 of the last album, in that case, nevermind.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #743 on: March 07, 2019, 03:37:01 AM »

I don't think I could make a top 3 of songs, maybe not even a top 10. The only songs i don't absolutely love are Mummy Dust, Prime Mover, Depth of Satan's Eyes, Jigolo Har Megiddo and Faith. And even those, are good songs.

Now I'm thinking, maybe you were just talking about a Top 3 of the last album, in that case, nevermind.

No I was talking about all their songs overall.

I really like many of their songs, but for me those three stand above the others  :smiley:

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #744 on: March 07, 2019, 06:17:27 AM »
Prequelle is the first Ghost release I can listen to from start to end. Normally, I find them patchy, but this one feels very complete to me.

And the last track is my favourite Ghost track of all. "Can you hear me say your name ... forever? ...."  :tup
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #745 on: March 07, 2019, 06:25:07 AM »
Here are my top 4 Ghost songs:

1. Deus in absentia
2. Stand by him
3. Ghuleh / Zombie queen
4. Dance macabre

It's cool that it features a song from each album, and what's even more interesting is that the best song from Prequelle is below the others, even though Prequelle is my favorite album overall.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #746 on: March 13, 2019, 03:40:46 PM »
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ghosts-tobias-forge-says-cardinal-copia-stage-character-will-return-for-next-album-cycle/?fbclid=IwAR10CxP9wcYQRGmbEaZY5mvF4Ehs827R-C5BO9aBiv6MEnSgDZnqNiYdwfQ

I'm cool with it, I liked the last album and if that means they do another album cycle building on the same sound, maybe they can build upon that success. 

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #747 on: March 13, 2019, 04:14:12 PM »
"Right now, if everything goes according to plan, we're hoping for Cardi to be strong enough and cool enough to possibly do something that none of the previous ones have done, and that's basically to do two cycles," he continued. [...] Not even I liked him to begin with. But now I can't wait to see him hopefully accomplish these things and I really look forward to possibly seeing him in the skull paint and real papal attire."

There just has to be the Ghost version of the Habemus Papam when Cardinal Copia, rather than being dragged away at the last show like his predecessors, gets anointed Pope instead and is introduced by the ultra old Pope (the one who "plays" sax live) as Papa Emeritus IV or whatever.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #748 on: March 13, 2019, 05:10:05 PM »
I take it as Cardinal becoming Papa next album cycle. No way they go four years without having the Papal attire, something I associate with Ghost. I hope something switches next album cycle, they always do.... right?
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #749 on: March 15, 2019, 01:45:41 AM »

The one thing I like about this "band" is the fact that so many self-professed authorities on metal have absolutely lost their shit over them. Ghost's success annoys them to no end and they deem them "NOT metal!!!" simply because the guitars aren't dropped tuned to oblivion, there are no machine gun double bass drums, and Tobias doesn't bark like a dog.

Tobias is a hell of a songwriter, but will probably never get the recognition he deserves due to being in a gimmick based band.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #750 on: March 15, 2019, 03:09:58 AM »
Well they aren't a metal band right? I never considered them a metal band despite using the theme that's typical for metal bands to use. For me they're a rock band pure and simple.

I'm not sure why so many want to label them a metal band when they aren't?  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #751 on: March 15, 2019, 07:23:18 AM »
"Self-professed authorities on metal," or any genre for that matter, are mostly nimrods anyway, so I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock into what they say.

On topic, I have only been listening to this band for maybe two years now (cannot remember exactly when I first heard them), and have always thought of them as hard rock.  Them being metal never crossed my mind.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #752 on: March 15, 2019, 09:00:42 AM »
Perhaps it's more the image than the sound that says "metal" about them. I agree that they're more hard rock than anything.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #753 on: March 15, 2019, 09:48:42 AM »
Music-wise they are rock, maybe hard rock if you want to make that distinction. The image is what people associate with metal, but then a rapper or a jazz singer wearing those masks (hypothetically) wouldn't be called metal. Those themes and images aren't exclusive to metal.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #754 on: March 15, 2019, 10:13:25 AM »
I'd still call them metal, albeit very light metal. They've got plenty of songs that are far more rock than metal for sure, but as long as they're making songs like Cirice, Pinnacle to the Pit and Faith, that's enough to consider them at least part metal.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #755 on: March 15, 2019, 01:31:33 PM »
I'd still call them metal, albeit very light metal. They've got plenty of songs that are far more rock than metal for sure, but as long as they're making songs like Cirice, Pinnacle to the Pit and Faith, that's enough to consider them at least part metal.

Right. Are they Napalm Death? Hell no, but I believe they have a number of songs that qualify as "metal".  I've never actually seen or heard a compelling explanation for why they're absolutely not.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #756 on: March 17, 2019, 04:36:41 AM »
The first two albums were mainly a mix of doom metal, the slow plodding and heavy thing that Black Sabbath invented, and '70s hard rock retro sounds. Meliora was different already and Prequelle is the easiest of them all and the more oriented to rock mostly.

Speaking of Meliora, for the longest time I couldn't connect with this album and, with all the stuff that is out there, I basically gave up on that and forgot about it. Today I listened to it again and it finally clicked, there are quite many good songs on this.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #757 on: April 01, 2019, 01:12:42 PM »
US dates announced for fall 2019 tour!

After they did not hit the Seattle area on the previous tour, I scrolled through the dates anxiously looking for WA, and about had a heart attack when I saw the WA date was in Kennewick. Fortunately the following date is in Seattle.

Fri, SEP 13
Bakersfield, CA
Sat, SEP 14
Reno, NV
Mon, SEP 16
Portland, OR
Tue, SEP 17
Kennewick, WA
Thu, SEP 19
Seattle, WA
Fri, SEP 20
Vancouver, Canada
Sat, SEP 21
Penticton, Canada
Tue, SEP 24
Calgary, Canada
Thu, SEP 26
Spokane, WA
Fri, SEP 27
Boise, ID
Sat, SEP 28
West Valley City, UT
Mon, SEP 30
Loveland, CO
Tue, OCT 01
Colorado Springs, CO
Thu, OCT 03
Sioux Falls, SD
Fri, OCT 04
Fargo, ND
Sat, OCT 05
Minneapolis, MN
Mon, OCT 07
Green Bay, WI
Mon, OCT 14
Grand Rapids, MI
Sat, OCT 19
Portland, ME
Mon, OCT 21
Worcester, MA
Tue, OCT 22
Syracuse, NY
Thu, OCT 24
Hershey, PA
Fri, OCT 25
Trenton, NJ
Sat, OCT 26
Glens Falls, NY
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #758 on: April 01, 2019, 01:16:32 PM »
And the only chance I'll have to see them in Italy will be with Metallica... I mean, I'm going anyway and having Ghost opening for Metallica instead of any other random band is more than cool, but I wanted to see the full show and production. Well, enjoy it you people on the other side of the ocean attending the future tour!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #759 on: April 01, 2019, 01:32:24 PM »
A third US leg?  Trenton isn't really that interesting, I may pass on this one. 

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #760 on: April 01, 2019, 06:13:28 PM »
They got Nothing More on this tour and Nothing More (who really delivered quite the intense set when I saw them in February) is coming off the backs of headlining their own tour in the US.  Looking at the stops though, it looks like one of those "hit the B markets" tour covering areas that both bands didn't hit early this year or late last year.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #761 on: April 01, 2019, 08:48:23 PM »
I was not expecting to see Ghost three times this album cycle. Cool that they’re playing The Armory here in MN. That means we’ll most likely get the arena show with pyro and such. Looking forward to it
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #762 on: April 01, 2019, 10:10:35 PM »
...it looks like one of those "hit the B markets"

I would think Kennewick, WA is at best a C market.

To all who have seen Ghost live, do people in the seated section usually sit, stand, combination of both? Usually opt for GA/pit tix but not sure what the crowd activity at a Ghost show is like.

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #763 on: April 01, 2019, 10:52:40 PM »
At the seated theater I saw them at, main floor all stood, balcony sat down. I think Cardinal made a comment about it
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #764 on: April 04, 2019, 12:07:11 AM »
What's up with tix for this upcoming tour? Are all the tix in GA reserved for the Cardianl Copia Photo-Op Package? I buy tix so rarely these days all these presale codes and package nonsense confuses me.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #765 on: April 04, 2019, 01:32:32 AM »
I'll be seeing them as I said opening for Metallica, and a coworker is coming along to see mainly Metallica, even though she'd definitively not a metalhead and does not follow the scene at all.

My description of Ghost to her went incredibly well, I thought that someone who (even if she likes Metallica) follows mainly rap and pop would raise more eyebrows at "Well, they play retro hard rock, but they're very theatrical, so they present themselves as a satanic cult and the players are all with masks and the singer is a pope.... only that now there's a cardinal"  ;D

I'll just have her listen to Dance Macabre and be hooked  :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #766 on: April 04, 2019, 07:32:11 AM »
My gf really enjoyed Dance Macabre when I showed it to her, didn't tell her about the band.  Then explained the lyrics are "bewich you" not be with you and they are a satanic band, well that ended her interest and suddenly the song wasn't good anymore  :lol

To all who have seen Ghost live, do people in the seated section usually sit, stand, combination of both? Usually opt for GA/pit tix but not sure what the crowd activity at a Ghost show is like.

The Barclays Arena show last December was a mix, it looked like a lot of people stood, but the arena wasn't full and people were definitely sitting in the further away sections.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #767 on: September 11, 2019, 10:35:47 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyxrzUe_TDM

New song. Sung by a Young Papa Nihil. If you thought Ghost was getting too pop, you ain't gonna like this one.

Kiss The Go-Goat.

I'm excited to hear it without all the sound effects and clips.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 10:47:44 PM by SystematicThought »
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #768 on: September 12, 2019, 06:54:59 AM »
I haven't cared for the recent output very much, but I like this on a first listen, seems like it could have been an OE b-side. Reminds me of Stand By Him in a way
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline T-ski

« Reply #769 on: September 12, 2019, 07:02:05 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyxrzUe_TDM

New song. Sung by a Young Papa Nihil. If you thought Ghost was getting too pop, you ain't gonna like this one.

Kiss The Go-Goat.

I'm excited to hear it without all the sound effects and clips.

ya, its poppy, but I think thats the point.  very kitschy.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?