Author Topic: The Official Ghost Thread v. summer 2023 US tour  (Read 117890 times)

Offline fadetoblackdude7

Re: The Official Ghost Thread v. They're RATS! Aah aha AAH AAH!
« Reply #700 on: January 15, 2019, 09:42:01 AM »
I’m now familiar enough with all of their albums to do a ranking. Mine goes like this:

Meliora
Prequelle
Infestissumam
Opus Eponymous

Hurts to put Opus last, but that’s the way it panned out for me.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #701 on: January 15, 2019, 09:51:43 AM »
Meliora
Prequelle
Infestissumam
Opus Eponymous

This would be my exact ranking as well.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #702 on: January 15, 2019, 08:11:41 PM »
Man, there's not a lot of love for Opus. I was looking at their reddit forum thing and someone started a thread asking, "Can anybody else not get into Opus?" That's insanity. When I heard that album when it was first released, it was like I stumbled onto a long lost album recorded in 1973.

Anyway, here's my ranking:

Three way tie - Opus, Meliora, Prequelle
Pretty distantly behind - Infestissumam

Maybe a cop out way to rank them but I honestly find those three to be near flawless for quite different reasons. Infest only has a few highlights and a lot of low and dare I say boring moments. 

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #703 on: January 15, 2019, 08:36:08 PM »
What I like most about Opus is how much Sabbath influence I hear. I think that’s what gave them their boost in popularity apart from their theatrics.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #704 on: January 15, 2019, 09:10:18 PM »
Meliora
Opus Eponymous
Prequelle
Infestissumam

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #705 on: January 15, 2019, 10:51:35 PM »
Man, there's not a lot of love for Opus. I was looking at their reddit forum thing and someone started a thread asking, "Can anybody else not get into Opus?" That's insanity. When I heard that album when it was first released, it was like I stumbled onto a long lost album recorded in 1973.

Maybe a cop out way to rank them but I honestly find those three to be near flawless for quite different reasons. Infest only has a few highlights and a lot of low and dare I say boring moments. 
I’ve found that the Reddit page is mainly fans that got into them when Square Hammer came out or even when they heard Dance Macabre for the first time. I hate to be a gatekeeper when it comes to fans and music, but man, some of the Ghost fans on Reddit, especially the new ones, are annoying as hell. I miss the days of Papa I where I was standing in a bar watching them live going “Are these guys actually Satanists?”

Anyways, I agree with your rankings for the most part. Opus is always gonna be number one for me. I will always remember hearing it for the first time. There’s an energy there that they can’t replicate again, Tobias’ voice is young and the riffs are menacing. It’s a great album through and through. Infestissumam is last but not because I hate it, I just wish it was remastered with the guitar more forward and the drums a bit stronger. There’s just something missing with the production... Maybe one day, Tobias has said multiple times it didn’t turn out the way they wanted it to.

1)Opus
2)Prequelle
3)Meliora
4)Infest
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #706 on: January 16, 2019, 12:17:05 AM »
Prequelle
Infestissumam
Meliora
Opus Eponymous

Just because I placed Opus last doesn't mean it's bad. They're all great. Opus has a couple of fine tracks, it's just that the albums would get better with time :P
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #707 on: January 16, 2019, 12:36:51 AM »

I’ve found that the Reddit page is mainly fans that got into them when Square Hammer came out or even when they heard Dance Macabre for the first time. I hate to be a gatekeeper when it comes to fans and music, but man, some of the Ghost fans on Reddit, especially the new ones, are annoying as hell. I miss the days of Papa I where I was standing in a bar watching them live going “Are these guys actually Satanists?”

Anyways, I agree with your rankings for the most part. Opus is always gonna be number one for me. I will always remember hearing it for the first time. There’s an energy there that they can’t replicate again, Tobias’ voice is young and the riffs are menacing. It’s a great album through and through. Infestissumam is last but not because I hate it, I just wish it was remastered with the guitar more forward and the drums a bit stronger. There’s just something missing with the production... Maybe one day, Tobias has said multiple times it didn’t turn out the way they wanted it to.

1)Opus
2)Prequelle
3)Meliora
4)Infest

Yeah I still feel pretty fortunate that I saw ghosts on their first or second tour. A jam-packed bar the smell of incense permeated the air. From the stage to the ceiling must have only been about eight feet and they can barely fit their backdrop in so it is actually folded over on the floor and you can only see about the top third of it just behind the amps. The place went nuts. I still knew nothing about them. I was pretty sure they were from Sweden. Were they bunch of famous people doing a band as a side project? What's this the start of a huge band? I always kind of felt like I got in on the ground floor with them. I mean imagine somebody who bought Black Sabbath's album the first day it came out. So yeah, now that the Mystique is gone it's a bit of a bummer but it's pretty cool I was able to leave that stuff. I definitely miss papa I.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #708 on: January 16, 2019, 01:58:30 AM »
My ranking:

1. Prequelle
2. Meliora
3. Opus
4. Infestisumam

The first three are all great, whereas Infestisumam ist just good.

I'm not surprised that Opus isn't as popular with the younger fans. Most of them that caught up after Square hammer probably find it too raw and not as catchy. However, for me, tracks like Stand by him and Elisabeth struck me immediately with their catchiness, given that I heard them prior to the bigger hits being released.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #709 on: January 16, 2019, 02:07:43 AM »
And it has my favourite instrumental of theirs, Genesis.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #710 on: January 16, 2019, 07:13:19 AM »
I haven't listened to the older albums, I became a fan from seeing them open for Iron Maiden three times (so I guess that puts me in the Square Hammer crowd), but I can say I like Prequelle more than Meliora.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #711 on: January 16, 2019, 07:51:55 AM »
See The Light is probably the catchiest song I’ve heard in years. Gets stuck in my head for weeks at a time. Such a well written song.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #712 on: January 16, 2019, 10:00:47 AM »
See The Light is probably the catchiest song I’ve heard in years. Gets stuck in my head for weeks at a time. Such a well written song.

"But of all the demons I've known none could compare to you"... excellent stuff indeed! my favorite of the slow songs.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 10:11:18 AM by MirrorMask »
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #713 on: January 16, 2019, 11:23:18 AM »

1)Opus
2)Prequelle
3)Meliora
4)Infest

Yeah I still feel pretty fortunate that I saw ghosts on their first or second tour. A jam-packed bar the smell of incense permeated the air. From the stage to the ceiling must have only been about eight feet and they can barely fit their backdrop in so it is actually folded over on the floor and you can only see about the top third of it just behind the amps. The place went nuts. I still knew nothing about them. I was pretty sure they were from Sweden. Were they bunch of famous people doing a band as a side project? What's this the start of a huge band? I always kind of felt like I got in on the ground floor with them. I mean imagine somebody who bought Black Sabbath's album the first day it came out. So yeah, now that the Mystique is gone it's a bit of a bummer but it's pretty cool I was able to leave that stuff. I definitely miss papa I.

Well, I got into Ghost from watching the Secular Haze video. Loved that organ sound mixed with the rest of the style and the video reminded me of those old bandstand videos of the '70s.

I saw them live when they toured then and really enjoyed how far they went into the shtick with the incense and Papa II coming out with tue incense thing the priests use at mass.

I bought Opus after that show because of Con Clavi Con Dio and Elizabeth. Still enjoy that album at times.

Nowadays, the entire legal situation tarnished them for me. Now it just feels like a Tobias act. Its a bit too catchy for me. Not bad though..
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #714 on: January 16, 2019, 03:11:04 PM »
1). Opus
2) Meliora/Infest (Meliora is even, Infest has higher highs and lower lows)
4) Prequelle (by a significant margin)
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #715 on: January 16, 2019, 05:00:00 PM »
Love that synth solo.

The keys for me are a highlight of the album. At the three minute mark of Miasma, the keys underneath the chugging guitar is my favorite moment on the album.
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #716 on: January 16, 2019, 05:15:39 PM »
Love that synth solo.

The keys for me are a highlight of the album. At the three minute mark of Miasma, the keys underneath the chugging guitar is my favorite moment on the album.

Listened to Miasma on my way home today, such an awesome instrumental and then going into Dance Macabre... is just musical magic  :metal  I absolutely love how they added that into the Dance Macabre music video as well with Miasma in the background playing at the party.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #717 on: January 17, 2019, 06:43:46 AM »
1). Opus
2) Meliora/Infest (Meliora is even, Infest has higher highs and lower lows)
4) Prequelle (by a significant margin)

My preference is similar for the same reasons
Opus/Meliora
Infestissumam
Prequelle

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #718 on: January 17, 2019, 09:07:38 PM »
I am a novice but growing Ghost fan, being introduced to them via Square Hammer in my roulette last year. I normally don't care when I get introduced to a band I end up liking, but it would have been cool to see Ghost develop from their beginning.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #719 on: January 17, 2019, 10:12:05 PM »
It is amazing how they’ve progressed. I know I’ve said it a lot, but the first few years, the shows were creepy and they had a certain vibe to them. At the time, I didn’t know who any of the members were or what previous bands they were in, and I couldn’t tell if they were serious or not. Papa I and II didn’t talk very much, but they still had a cool presence. Then the shows got more theatrical and Papa talked more and did costume changes and such. But you know what? I still find their shows to be incredible and it has been fun watching them grow. I’m fortunate to have seen them when they started out.

We’re kinda back to the mysterious nature of the band members. I still have no clue who the bass player is or who the taller keyboard player is.
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #720 on: January 18, 2019, 06:52:54 AM »
Is there a band that has progressed as much as they have in four albums?  :lol Not just musically but with the constant change of band members and Papa changing himself as well, I can only wonder how this band will be 5 or even 10 years from now if they are still around. 

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #721 on: February 02, 2019, 01:41:12 PM »
The song RATS is awesome! Once you hear it a few times, it's pretty hard to get it out of your head. Even at work I got RATS going through my head all day.....RATS!!!!!   :facepalm: :facepalm: :lol
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #722 on: February 03, 2019, 07:42:09 AM »
Yep, it is a fun and catchy song.  I know many thought Prequelle wasn't as good as a lot of their prior albums, but I like it a lot and still spin it somewhat regularly.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #723 on: February 10, 2019, 09:13:24 PM »
Tobias and his wife went to the Grammy's tonight, this time he went unmasked. They lost in both categories, one to Greta Van Fleet and one to St. Vincent (I've never heard of her...). After this, it's right back to Europe to continue the tour

God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #724 on: February 11, 2019, 12:58:44 AM »
Maybe his face is familiar in the business but i'm guessing alot of "who are you?" went on.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Mladen

« Reply #725 on: February 11, 2019, 03:38:55 AM »
Damn, I was keeping my fingers crossed for another Grammy.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #726 on: February 11, 2019, 10:34:36 AM »
Maybe his face is familiar in the business but i'm guessing alot of "who are you?" went on.

I noticed he gave at least one "unmasked" interview recently. Don't know how recognizable he is "in the industry" but it would have been amusing if he just showed up with no fanfare, no paparazzi, no one asking for an interview... just a lot of blank stares.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #727 on: February 11, 2019, 12:04:11 PM »
I wonder how far he went back in the days when his identity was a mystery. I mean, you have to give at least some interviews in person, at concerts you show up early, talk with the promoters and so on... did he send all the roadies and tour managers to do the job and required an hidden room somewhere isolated in the backstage? did he never gave interviews in person? did he carry around a pile of NDA papers to sign for everyone?

I get the whole appeal of being anonymous but if you think about it, is it worth all the additional trouble of staying hidden? I wonder for example how Lordi can do it after so many years, since they wear full costumes.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #728 on: February 11, 2019, 08:58:52 PM »
He was always the one that gave interviews as A Nameless Ghoul and he would speak in the 3rd person essentially. In the very early days of Ghost they actually did voice alteration but gave that up pretty quickly.

If you waited around after the show, the whole band would come out, out of costume, speak to you and even give you their real names, but then sign with only the symbol they represented or in Papa's case a "P.E." and simply ask that you not take any pictures. I know a band that toured with them, and when I first met them I was asking about Ghost and said, "Don't worry, I won't make you reveal their identity" and they responded, "I don't really think they care anymore" which they actually did, but it kinda shows you how loose they were with the crew, other bands, etc. I think they would just simply request, "Don't show our face our reveal our identity"

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #729 on: February 17, 2019, 11:50:11 AM »
What's funny to me is that he's completely open with his identity nowadays, but I still have no clue who some of the band members are currently. Back when they were secretive, I knew shortly after I got into them who was who. I think it was a few months after Opus was released and they toured that I knew about Magna Carta Cartel, SubVision, Repugnant, and his involvement with Crashdiet. But this new band, I don't know the bass player or one of the keyboard/percussion Ghoulettes.

Speaking of which, they did some BBC studio sessions recently as a full band. Pretty sure Tobias did this unmasked, his voice sounds different.
Rats
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llY7GoA9ZJ0

Faith
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh-oAtQ1bbI

Life Eternal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4bZVvTrjF8

Dance Macabre
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ludabT0Z6OM

These sound so good! I love their sound live and this current lineup is fantastic. I hope they don't go anywhere, but sadly they probably will. Hearing the backup vocals, it pretty much confirms to me that it's Mad Gallica on keys and vocals. She's got an amazing voice and really compliments TF's voice. These recordings really highlight that.

For anyone that's interested..
Mad Gallica's Bohemian Rhapsody One Woman Band Cover
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HT5rb5Zwbo
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #730 on: February 17, 2019, 12:23:14 PM »
I heard Per Eriksson (ex-Katatonia) is one of the Ghouls and joined the band 2 years ago, which is why he's no longer involved with Bloodbath.
I get the whole appeal of being anonymous but if you think about it, is it worth all the additional trouble of staying hidden? I wonder for example how Lordi can do it after so many years, since they wear full costumes.
I know Lordi gives video interviews after the show while they're still wearing the costumes, unlike the majority of bands who usually do them before going on stage. However, Mr. Lordi is easily recognizable even unmasked, and I actually spotted him at a Thunderstone gig 3 years ago. :P

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #731 on: February 17, 2019, 12:31:09 PM »
Per is lead Guitar. He chopped off the long hair, so some people didn't recognize him at first after shows. He's jumped around a bit too. He was bass, then rhythm guitar, now lead
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #732 on: February 17, 2019, 12:32:07 PM »
I heard Per Eriksson (ex-Katatonia) is one of the Ghouls and joined the band 2 years ago, which is why he's no longer involved with Bloodbath.
I know Lordi gives video interviews after the show while they're still wearing the costumes, unlike the majority of bands who usually do them before going on stage. However, Mr. Lordi is easily recognizable even unmasked, and I actually spotted him at a Thunderstone gig 3 years ago. :P

I have a friend involved with a venue that hosted them, he told me they were not authorized to see them until they were in costume, but he also told me "well, they all came down from the tour bus anyway, so it must have been some of those we've seen"  :P

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #733 on: March 03, 2019, 06:17:45 AM »

Happy birthday Tobias, 38 years today :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #734 on: March 04, 2019, 02:49:52 PM »
Hes only 38? He looks older to me, definitely thought he was mid to late 40s.