Author Topic: The Official Ghost Thread v. summer 2023 US tour  (Read 117926 times)

Online MirrorMask

Re: The Official Ghost Thread v. Popestar tour info on page 11
« Reply #665 on: June 16, 2018, 12:32:54 PM »
Looking a bit in the future.... I've heard an interview snippet with Tobias Forge talking about having for each album a Papa was becoming predictable, hence the introduction of the Cardinal to change things up, which they plan to keep around for 4-5 years as a character.

He hinted that there could be a change for him in the future, and that he has anyway the different eyes of the previous Papas.... and we all know in real life what's the next step for a cardinal, if he ever gets "promoted". I was thinkin that it would be cool if Cardinal Copia becomes a Papa (maybe a promotion after this tour cycle?), and they stage their own habemus papam to announce the new Pope, qui sibi nomen imposuit Emeritus IV most likely   :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #666 on: June 16, 2018, 01:14:28 PM »
Okay I take back what I said about the instrumentals before. Miasma kicks ass.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online Mladen

« Reply #667 on: June 17, 2018, 09:56:42 AM »
Interesting train of though, MirrorMask. I'm very intrigued by what may follow and I'm trying to be very open-minded and not get attached to Cardinal Copia - after all, he's just a phase.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #668 on: June 17, 2018, 07:28:14 PM »

The sax solo in that song is absolutely perfect.  The song is just rocking out and then the sax comes in and makes it so much better.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #669 on: June 18, 2018, 06:32:26 PM »

The sax solo in that song is absolutely perfect.  The song is just rocking out and then the sax comes in and makes it so much better.

Now see, on rare exceptions, I generally do not like brass in my rock music. So when I heard there was an instrumental (which I am usually not fond of either) with a sax solo, I was all...ughhhh. But damn if it doesn't work in Miasma. And somehow that's what Ghost does. They make everything they set out to do work.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #670 on: June 18, 2018, 08:28:58 PM »

Now see, on rare exceptions, I generally do not like brass in my rock music. So when I heard there was an instrumental (which I am usually not fond of either) with a sax solo, I was all...ughhhh. But damn if it doesn't work in Miasma. And somehow that's what Ghost does. They make everything they set out to do work.

I love it, and I love how they bring out the sax in the live show as well.   :metal

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #671 on: July 11, 2018, 10:55:14 AM »
To continue talking about Miasma, there's one part that I can't stop rewinding back to after his happens. It's after the drum roll at the 2:58 mark and kicks into the chugging riff and that synth playing over it. I can't stop listening to it. The way I tried describing it to my dad is that it felt ethereal. It's dark yet beautiful and if that synth sound isn't there, the part just isn't as good.

God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #672 on: September 06, 2018, 12:12:05 PM »
A few weeks in and i still think this is their best yet. Fantastic work. Life eternal is a favourite - both dark and moving. The writing and direction of the album is so perfect for me.

The carpenter brut Dance Macabre is fab, too, in case you've not heard it. Shows that Tobias' voice is great in another setting and that synthwave really benefits from great vocal songs, afaic.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #673 on: September 06, 2018, 12:26:57 PM »
This is really cool of Ghost to do for the guy who died during their concert earlier in the year:

https://www.metalinjection.net/tour-dates/ghost-to-return-to-milwaukee-for-show-to-honor-deceased-fan

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #674 on: September 09, 2018, 09:13:59 PM »
The trial for the lawsuit against Tobias by the former Ghouls is well underway in Sweden.

You can read the rough transcripts of the proceedings over on the lawsuit reddit.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Ghost_Lawsuit/

There's been some interesting things coming out of it thus far through the first three days (there's three more).

One of the more interesting things is that Martin Persner (the Ghoul that went on to revive Magna Carta Cartel and did a lot of PR for the band and was the guy who designed the costumes and such) was fired from the band. Apparently Tobias and everyone else except Mauro was having issues with him and they voted to fire him. Martin takes the stand on Monday or maybe Tuesday, so it will be interesting to see how that goes.

The other takeaway is that Tobias was definitely not prepared for questioning. He kinda shoots himself in the foot a few times such as not knowing what a companionship agreement was despite sending an email to the band members telling them to sign a companionship agreement.

Another tidbit. The intro to Cirice was not played the way it was originally written. Henrik, who played bass on Meliora, was fiddling around on the acoustic guitar and played the part a different way. Klas Ahlund, the producer, liked it and told him that was the correct way that part should be played. Apparently, Tobias was pissed off (furious, as the testimony says).

Very interesting transcripts though.

Tobias is gonna have a very short night though. They had a show Sunday night in London at Royal Albert Hall and he has to be in court Monday morning for cross examination
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8r8DsIONeU

EDIT:
Another thing that maybe I misread, but thought was kinda funny. Tobias requested to go through a different door of the court room so he didn't have to run into the Ghouls suing him, since during breaks you can freely roam the halls of the courthouse. I can understand not wanting to run into them, but I don't think they're gonna want to talk to him either
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 09:21:53 PM by SystematicThought »
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #675 on: September 10, 2018, 01:03:32 AM »
Wow very interesting. Thanks for the insight.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #676 on: September 10, 2018, 08:40:54 AM »
I'd always figured it was just a massive communications clusterfuck instead of malign intent on anyone's part, and this all seems to underscore that.  I think this could be taught in future Swedish contract law classes as "what not to do".  Seriously, having them sign contracts on merch and management when they were just "employees" with no say in anything???  That's not how this works, that's not how any of this works.  And the commingling of funds?  Oy.

If I read TF's testimony right, at times Sissi (his lawyer) held herself out as TF's atty, at other times as the band's atty...that is some bad juju.  In the US, that could carry some serious professional consequences.  Not sure about Sweden.

Also, it seems like MP saw that the ship was headed for an iceberg from early on and kept pushing for clarity, saying how badly things would turn out if there were not clear agreements in place.

EDIT: and speaking of MP, new MCC single next week!
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #677 on: September 12, 2018, 04:24:17 PM »
Looking forward to that MCC single and eventual album. Martin's a great musician, voice, and personality. I look forward to seeing what they do. His testimony had a bit that made me laugh:
"Universal could pay to put us in one of the top five most expensive recording studios in the US, yet they couldn't afford to give us a wheat roll or Capri Sun?"

He had another one in an email where he was talking about merchandise and how there was a fine line between stepping on people's toes and farting in their mouths (in regards to having stupid merchandise and tasteful merchandise.)

Anyways, I agree. It just seems like a giant clusterfuck and miscommunication. Maybe Tobias knew all of this and is playing dumb, or maybe he genuinely didn't know what was going on. All they had to do was communicate though, and they didn't. That Sissi (TF's lawyer) was playing the Ghoul's. Hopefully he doesn't do business with her anymore.

The Ghouls definitely came out looking better, except Mauro, who just seemed like he was along for the ride.
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #678 on: October 17, 2018, 05:09:46 AM »
The verdict came today, and apparently Tobias won. The former band members have to pay him legal costs of 1.3 million Swedish kronor (roughly $146 000).

Can't find a link in English at the moment, just saw it on a Swedish news site.

Online Mladen

« Reply #679 on: October 17, 2018, 05:23:21 AM »
That makes me very happy for some reason.  :biggrin:

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #681 on: October 17, 2018, 07:14:45 AM »
I guess it makes sense but feel bad the ghouls have to pay his legal fees, seems like they just assumed something that wasn't there.

However, this kind of caught me in the article:

Also, I'm a big fan of rock, of rock history, and I've read every classic rock biography of every band I'm a fan of," he said. "You know what? The same shit takes place in every single one.

Forge added: "A friend of mine, a very successful songwriter, said to me, 'You're not really in the game until you've been sued, so welcome in!' and I think he's got a point

Probably why people say the music business is dirty.  Just makes me wonder if Tobias really knew he was dragging those guys around misleading them or they legit just didn't understand their situation in the band.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #682 on: October 17, 2018, 11:50:57 AM »
I'd like to see the decision for the dismissal.

In any case, I was soundly on the side of the ghouls. They were all naive as fuck, but that doesn't mean I think they should get nothing (much less a judgement against them for the legal fees).
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #683 on: October 27, 2018, 09:08:13 PM »
New tour, new setlist. Not too many changes, but some songs were taken out--Prime Mover, Deus In Abesntia, and Stand By Him were taken out, while Majesty, Satan Prayer, Witch Image, Life Eternal, and Idolatrine draw into the setlist. So, the set is two songs longer. I am pumped to see them again in a few days

Ashes
Rats
Absolution
Idolatrine (Live Debut)
Ritual
Con Clavi Con Dio
Per Aspera ad Inferi
Devil Church
Cirice
Miasma
Jigolo Har Megiddo (Acoustic)
Pro Memoria
Witch Image (Live Debut)
Life Eternal (Live Debut)

Spirit
From the Pinnacle to the Pit
Majesty
Satan Prayer
Faith
Year Zero
Spöksonat
He Is
Mummy Dust
If You Have Ghosts
Dance Macabre
Square Hammer

Encore:
Monstrance Clock
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #684 on: October 27, 2018, 09:26:24 PM »
They never play Helvetesfonster?  Too bad, as I love that one.  The first couple albums have some songs I like, but whenever I am in the mood for Ghost, I pretty much go for the last two albums; I like both of those a lot.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #685 on: October 27, 2018, 09:29:37 PM »
I seriously cannot get into Ghost's studio stuff, but I do like the live album they released earlier this year.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #686 on: October 28, 2018, 03:22:04 AM »
About time Witch Image and Life Eternal got played live!

Too bad they won't tour solo in my town, I'll have to see Metallica to see them. Uh well. :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #687 on: October 28, 2018, 03:50:18 PM »
New tour, new setlist. Not too many changes, but some songs were taken out--Prime Mover, Deus In Abesntia, and Stand By Him were taken out, while Majesty, Satan Prayer, Witch Image, Life Eternal, and Idolatrine draw into the setlist. So, the set is two songs longer. I am pumped to see them again in a few days

Ashes
Rats
Absolution
Idolatrine (Live Debut)
Ritual
Con Clavi Con Dio
Per Aspera ad Inferi
Devil Church
Cirice
Miasma
Jigolo Har Megiddo (Acoustic)
Pro Memoria
Witch Image (Live Debut)
Life Eternal (Live Debut)

Spirit
From the Pinnacle to the Pit
Majesty
Satan Prayer
Faith
Year Zero
Spöksonat
He Is
Mummy Dust
If You Have Ghosts
Dance Macabre
Square Hammer

Encore:
Monstrance Clock

Holy shit, they actually removed some of my least favorite songs and replaced them with some of my favorite songs!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #688 on: October 28, 2018, 03:52:20 PM »
About time Witch Image and Life Eternal got played live!

:metal

Life Eternal is so good, glad these got added.  Makes me want to go to that Brooklyn concert even more now.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Ghost Thread v. They're RATS! Aah aha AAH AAH!
« Reply #689 on: November 08, 2018, 01:13:36 PM »
First off, I am not an instrumental guy. Vocal melodies play a big part in my enjoyment of music, regardless of genre. Second, I generally dislike brass in my rock/metal. That being said, Miasma has become my favorite rock instrumental. I don't think I even had a favorite rock instrumental before hearing this.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #690 on: November 08, 2018, 07:28:08 PM »
First off, I am not an instrumental guy. Vocal melodies play a big part in my enjoyment of music, regardless of genre. Second, I generally dislike brass in my rock/metal. That being said, Miasma has become my favorite rock instrumental. I don't think I even had a favorite rock instrumental before hearing this.

I absolutely love the sax solo, so powerfull when you think it can't get any better at that moment in the song.  Maybe it's just because you don't have the sax in metal anymore or maybe because that's an instrument I actually played  :lol  that I love it so much

Have you seen the music video for Dance Macabre? The intro with Miasma in the background from inside the house party is so cool for the intro, and you hear the sax at the right moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Gr63DiEUxw

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #691 on: November 11, 2018, 10:55:34 AM »
Late to yet another party! Just got into these guys, saw them in Chicago a couple weeks ago and went in virtually blind, having only heard Cirice and Dance Macabre. Was completely floored! I picked up Infestissumam and Prequelle and loving both albums, waiting on the other 2 now. New fan here!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #692 on: December 15, 2018, 01:29:52 PM »
Heading to Brooklyn soon for the final show of the NA leg (although looks like they may be back in 2019).  Its an arena show and it didn't sell the greatest.  Looks like they sold out the floor but didn't even offer tickets for the upper ring of the arena.  I snagged a suite seat for cheaper than face of any ticket so I'm interested in how the suites look in Barclays Center.  Saw them open for Iron Maiden a few times, but looking forward to the new songs and the full show  :metal

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #693 on: December 15, 2018, 01:36:34 PM »
Heading to Brooklyn soon for the final show of the NA leg (although looks like they may be back in 2019).  Its an arena show and it didn't sell the greatest.  Looks like they sold out the floor but didn't even offer tickets for the upper ring of the arena.  I snagged a suite seat for cheaper than face of any ticket so I'm interested in how the suites look in Barclays Center.  Saw them open for Iron Maiden a few times, but looking forward to the new songs and the full show  :metal

Saw them here in Richmond a couple weeks ago. I think this is the best version of the band yet, and definitely the best setlist out the 3 times I've seen them.
Enjoy it! It's a fantastic show.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #694 on: December 15, 2018, 04:46:03 PM »
Heading to Brooklyn soon for the final show of the NA leg (although looks like they may be back in 2019).
What makes you say that? They've got a festival date in Chicago in May, but they seem booked up and still haven't really hit South America. I really hope they do though. He said in a recent interview that he will probably record the next album in 2020 and that he has stuff written.

Also, the appeal from the former Ghouls is pretty interesting. They claim there was a conflict of interest in that both the judge and Tobias are part of the Freemasons of Sweden and since they belong to the same "secret" society, they were in it together. Pretty interesting stuff
https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/11/former-ghost-members-seek-new-trial/
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #695 on: December 15, 2018, 04:52:27 PM »
Heading to Brooklyn soon for the final show of the NA leg (although looks like they may be back in 2019).
What makes you say that? They've got a festival date in Chicago in May

That's why.  And I said may, because it was only one date, but a festival date.  Bands often play many of these festivals so my assumption is I wouldn't be surprised to see more NA dates since they are coming back for sure for one concert.  Honestly was surprised to see another US date announced since they did two full tours already and then supporting Metallica in Europe. 

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #696 on: December 15, 2018, 05:52:04 PM »
I really hope so, at least a small run. They did that three years ago where they did 5 shows in the Midwest before ending at Lolapalooza in Chicago, so I really hope so.

I found it weird that they did so many US shows to start, I mean, they've been here all year and only a handful in Europe. But he's said before that they aren't as big over in Europe as people think. Obviously with one Grammy win and two nominations this year and an album debuting at #3 here in America, it makes sense to keep playing our markets to eventually get to arenas everywhere here. (Although, I'll always have a soft spot and preference for them in theaters, hell, I've seen them in a bar)
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #697 on: December 17, 2018, 08:03:30 AM »
Really cool show Saturday.  Was cool how they added some pyro/smoke/loud bangs/confetti into the show for the arena gig.  I've watched a bunch of youtube videos so had an idea of the show already but was cool to see them expand upon it a bit for the bigger stage. I scooped up a suite ticket for super cheap a few hours before the show and wasn't sure what to expect for a suite, but found it to be completely empty  :lol  You can see in my video, I walk in and it's just empty.  All the suites are empty (now a couple people did eventually show up, but overall kind of eerily empty for all the suites).  However they did have a full staff just chilling at the bar  :lol  The bartender said the arena was configured for 8k attendance.  I'd say for that, maybe they hit 7k.  Just the corners were empty (and suites) but the floor was sold out and if you didn't know better, the floor was so loud and into the show it felt like a full arena.  That was another surprise for me, from most shows I've seen on youtube the crowd kind of just chills and watches.  But this show the crowd seemed energized.  Maybe a lot of hardcore fans travelled for it (I know I met one who did) but the crowd energy was nice.  There was a small mosh pit I could see formed near the end of the gig. 

As for the performance, they sounded so tight and pretty much flawless.  One thing that I was not a fan of though, it seemed their sound was not the greatest at least where I was.  I'm wondering if their touring sound wasn't really meant for the arena.  Not sure if this was just a me thing or something others experienced though.  It wasn't the worst sound, it just wasn't that great especially after attending some really good sounding shows (Steven Wilson). 

Papa did speak an awful lot at this show though.  Sometimes it was funny (barking like a dog or talking about taints and farts) and sometimes it just dragged.  Specifically before the encore, he talked sooo much.  One person said he talked this show much more than any other he had seen this tour.  I don't know, but I could see that being true.  My highlights though were probably the new songs, Miasma (with the sax solo!) Witch Image and Dance Macabre.

Ghost - LIVE @ Barclays Center

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #698 on: December 17, 2018, 12:51:32 PM »
I'll admit I don't care much for the speeches (or the goofy call-outs to the crowd) during the songs...a little bit of that goes a long way, and I feel like it get's layered on way too heavily.  That said, I prefer the pre-Popestar "creepy but with a wink" vibe to the more recent campy/cheeky feel.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Ruba

« Reply #699 on: January 11, 2019, 02:49:46 PM »
I think this is somewhat appropriate. I took this screen capture in November 2016 and I swear to Papa Emeritus it is real.  :biggrin: