Author Topic: The Official Ghost Thread v. summer 2023 US tour  (Read 117887 times)

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Re: The Official Ghost Thread v. Popestar tour info on page 11
« Reply #595 on: June 01, 2018, 08:04:58 AM »
I'm really digging the album.  I bought the debut when it was gaining popularity after it's release, but the band lost me with Infestissumam and the less-guitar/riff oriented songs.  I liked Meliora when I heard those singles, but was into super heavy stuff at the time.

Rats and Dance Macabre have pulled me back into this band and I just went back to those other records that I had skipped (Meliora!!  :metal).  This is a really fun band - the live clips are fantastic and they just know how to put out some great songs and put on a great show.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #596 on: June 01, 2018, 09:25:33 AM »
On my second listen and really enjoying Prequelle.

Being more of a metal guy, the opening of Ashes, Rats and Faith are really fantastic. Still, I can't help but tap my toes and sing along with the AOR style of the rest. The juxtaposition of creepy, evil lyrics with soaring stadium rock is a pretty cool (and funny) aesthetic. See the Light, Dance Macabre, and Life Eternal are my favorites of these. The instrumentals are a nice surprise too. I didn't expect that. Miasma is my favorite of them.

I notice the album is already getting a good share of butt-hurt on Amazon. Too bad. I think this a good Ghost album even though it's a bit different than what came before.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 06:56:41 AM by Podaar »
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #597 on: June 01, 2018, 10:05:58 AM »
Did a podcast this week including a bit on Ghost. While we don't really talk about the new album we used it as an impetus to discuss their marketing and success.

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/features/talking-perspectives-episode-six/
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #598 on: June 01, 2018, 02:18:17 PM »
Gave the album a listen, albeit while working on some light construction in the office. Pretty good stuff. Was concerned about the perceived lack of metal, but the less metal songs played well I thought. Same with the instrumentals. Will give it a better listen later when I can focus and enjoy it more. Without knowing anything personal about Tobias or the other guys/gals, I am happy to see them getting some good press and increasing popularity.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #599 on: June 01, 2018, 02:33:57 PM »
I've liked all of their stuff so far and this is the best thing they've done yet, imo, after two listens. The stylistic choices and songwriting are exceptional. Exceeded expectations.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #600 on: June 01, 2018, 05:07:33 PM »
Really great album, every bit the standard of their previous 3. Interesting to hear the use of recurring themes on this (the finale of Ashes is the coda of Rats; the end of Faith is the melody of Life Eternal). Miasma is a great instrumental (it may just be coincidence but it seems to borrow heavily from the soundtrack to the movie The Rock, and of course there's the Michael Jackson guitar riff towards the end). This band (or, at this point, Tobias Forge) has a real gift for melody and theatricality. They're such a fun listen and this is another top-notch album in a so-far flawless discography (unlike most fans I consider their 2nd album, not going to attempt to spell it, to be their best).

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #601 on: June 01, 2018, 07:26:17 PM »
Second album has some great songs that I love but it sounds horrible, almost unlistenable when I listen to it through headphones.

As for the new album, love it already but then I am a fan of 80’s cheese rock so I was always going to lap up a lot of this. Early favourite is Life Eternal which is epic and gorgeous. So many great melodies on the album and I’d say that top to bottom it’s their most consistent record. The other 3 albums I find a little patchy at times despite having some great songs. Not really seeing much of a weak point on this album, Faith would be my least favourite right now but it’s getting better with each listen.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #602 on: June 02, 2018, 12:19:07 AM »
I'll upload some video tomorrow, but they put on a hell of a show tonight in St. Paul. It was so much fun. I've seen them every time they've come here, even when they played at a bar. These shows keep getting more and more theatrical, it's amazing what a curtain can add.

The women who do backup vocals and keys add so much character to the shows, they just dance away up there. Goddam, I had a lot of fun tonight
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 05:51:30 PM by SystematicThought »
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Art

« Reply #603 on: June 02, 2018, 09:04:09 AM »
Prequelle is ok, but probably their weakest, IMHO.

The Leonard Cohen cover was cool, but the It's a Sin cover was disappointing. Gamma Ray did it first and better.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #604 on: June 02, 2018, 09:06:05 AM »
It's ridiculous how good this album is.

I am floored.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #605 on: June 02, 2018, 09:21:03 AM »
I liked the album after one listen, but I didn't love it.  We'll see how it sounds after a few more listens.

I did like the instrumental Miasma a lot.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #606 on: June 02, 2018, 09:43:15 AM »
It's awesome to see the spread on the last three comments. :lol

For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #607 on: June 02, 2018, 10:21:14 AM »
I haven't got the album yet, but I guess it will be shipped soon. Can't wait to play it in the car next week.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #608 on: June 02, 2018, 12:09:34 PM »
I love it.  :biggrin:
I've listened to this album probably 20 times since it leaked the other day. I bought the CD today and I'm listening to it again as I type this, and I'm still not tired of it. There are a couple of low points for me. Pro Memoria is too repetitive and some of the lyrics are a little iffy.

"Don't forget your knives, to save your lives"  :mehlin

Also the ending to Helvetesfönster goes on a bit too long.

Overall I'm really happy with this album. The bonus tracks aren't too bad either.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #609 on: June 02, 2018, 03:45:47 PM »
It’s Mikael Akerfeldt doing that part, or at least some of the guitar parts on that track. You probably already knew that, but it’s an interesting tidbit.

I felt the same way about Pro Memoria though. When it appeared in the video where they kill the other Papas, I thought it was kinda lazy. It kicks ass live though. It was also nice to see that it is Martin doing the “Don’t You Forget About Dying” part. At least I think that’s him. He’s thanked in the liner notes
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 03:56:06 PM by SystematicThought »
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #610 on: June 02, 2018, 06:21:33 PM »
This album rocks. It'll take a few more plays to determine how it ranks up against Meliora (my favorite Ghost record, easily), as it's definitely better than the first two in my opinion. What a good band!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #611 on: June 02, 2018, 08:35:15 PM »
It’s Mikael Akerfeldt doing that part, or at least some of the guitar parts on that track. You probably already knew that, but it’s an interesting tidbit.

I felt the same way about Pro Memoria though. When it appeared in the video where they kill the other Papas, I thought it was kinda lazy. It kicks ass live though. It was also nice to see that it is Martin doing the “Don’t You Forget About Dying” part. At least I think that’s him. He’s thanked in the liner notes

Interesting though on Martin, though TF and MP can sound quite a bit alike when using that voice.  I was thinking the "thanks" was more about historical contributions, and "thanks for not suing me"....
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #612 on: June 02, 2018, 08:50:16 PM »
Am I crazy though for thinking that it could be Martin singing that part? It's not out of the realm of possibility, right? He also thanks Martin's brother too. That has nothing to do with anything. Although, I think you may be right because someone also said that he thanks Meg Thomas too, and I imagine that may be a thanks for not suing me  :lol
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 08:56:45 PM by SystematicThought »
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #613 on: June 04, 2018, 09:28:02 PM »
After 5 listens I think Prequelle is nowhere near as good as Opus Eponymous and Meliora. The songwriting just isn’t as strong. I wouldn’t say Opus and Meliora are very original albums, but Prequelle is very generic. Almost everything sounds really familiar. I still enjoy it though, but it’s a 3.5/5 at best for me.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 09:40:07 PM by NoseofNicko »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #614 on: June 04, 2018, 11:02:50 PM »
I still haven't got my copy. I guess something must have gone wrong with the distributor..
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #615 on: June 05, 2018, 01:22:15 AM »
it's a great album, as long as you don't expect anything near a Metal album. The orchestration/arrangements on some of the songs are fantastic. I do think Meliora is the better album though.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #616 on: June 05, 2018, 01:26:37 AM »
I had high expectations on this album, since I loved both Rats and Dance Macabre. It's still a very good album, but none of the other tracks tops those two. That said, Witch Image, Faith, and Pro Memoria are great songs though. Two instrumentals are one too many, I'm not that into instrumentals overall. My favourite Ghost album is still Infestissumam.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #617 on: June 05, 2018, 07:34:19 AM »
I gave the album a couple listens yesterday and enjoyed it.  The two singles stand out, but there were maybe 3 other songs I really enjoyed (don't really know song names yet) and I also really liked the one instrumental with the sax solo.  That sax kind of came out of no where yet fit really well in that spot.  I loved it.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #618 on: June 05, 2018, 07:43:54 AM »
First listening - meh
Second listening - "hey, quite a lot of these songs are catchy and interesting"

I agree that Zydar that there's an instrumental too many, and I find myself particularly enjoying the slower tracks. I'm not too crazy about Rats, but if Dance Macabre is not the crossover hit of the year, I don't know which song from any other band could be.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #619 on: June 05, 2018, 07:46:53 AM »
First listening - meh

Yeah, I'm the same. I want to give it another chance. I do like the live album they released earlier this year, but everything I've sampled from their studio albums really doesn't get me going. I'm relatively new to Ghost, after seeing them open for Maiden, but I'll try and give this new album another spin. I liked Rats a lot, though.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #620 on: June 05, 2018, 08:47:16 AM »
Been spinning this consistently, I still really like this record.

My one issue is that it's a 10 track record, two songs were released ahead of time, one song is just a 1:00 minute intro, there are two instrumentals, so I really felt like I didn't have a ton of meat to dig into. But I like the record, I guess I wish it was longer?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #621 on: June 05, 2018, 08:54:25 AM »
Been spinning this consistently, I still really like this record.

My one issue is that it's a 10 track record, two songs were released ahead of time, one song is just a 1:00 minute intro, there are two instrumentals, so I really felt like I didn't have a ton of meat to dig into. But I like the record, I guess I wish it was longer?

Yea, does seem like there's not a whole lot here sadly

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #622 on: June 05, 2018, 09:57:41 AM »
Something to keep in mind about album length, he/they are huge into the 70's aesthetic/approach, and that includes album length/sequencing.

Opus: 8 real songs (incl. one instrumental) and an intro
Infest.: 9 real songs, one intro
Meliora: 8 real songs, two short instrumental interludes
Prequelle: 9 real songs (incl. two instrumentals)
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #623 on: June 05, 2018, 07:17:39 PM »
I would describe the new album as good.  Not great, but good.

Favorites are Dance Macabre (so damn catchy), Miasma, Rats and Pro Memoria. 

I love the first half of Helvetesfonster, but then again it kind of falls off and ends somewhat uneventfully.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #624 on: June 05, 2018, 08:37:31 PM »
Here's some of my clips from the ritual in St. Paul last Friday. Hopefully they come back here to Minnesota when they tour the US in the fall again. My concert videography skills are nowhere near Cram level greatness, but I did decent considering we were packed in like sardines.

Dance Macabre: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6CSr7CydfQ

Most of Ritual and Beginning of Con Clavi Con Did: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQvDWh0cpjI&t=34s

Miasma Sax Solo and Cardinal Copia's White Suit Entrance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Hu8gBZaY3I
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 08:44:55 PM by SystematicThought »
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Mladen

« Reply #625 on: June 06, 2018, 12:08:21 PM »
I love the first half of Helvetesfonster, but then again it kind of falls off and ends somewhat uneventfully.
That's odd. I think the second half of that song is the interesting part. Some truly gorgeous melodies and glorious guitar work.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #626 on: June 06, 2018, 12:12:53 PM »
I was just reading Metal Archives and saw that Per "Sodomizer" Ericsson is the current bassist?  I thought it was still the woman that they had before, at least the bassist's ghoul mask looked different than the others in the clips I've seen. 

Either way, sucks that he's not with Bloodbath anymore, but if he is in Ghost, good for him!

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #627 on: June 06, 2018, 12:54:37 PM »
That's odd. I think the second half of that song is the interesting part. Some truly gorgeous melodies and glorious guitar work.

Featuring Mikael Åkerfeldt on acoustic guitar :tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #628 on: June 06, 2018, 01:06:00 PM »
I was just reading Metal Archives and saw that Per "Sodomizer" Ericsson is the current bassist?  I thought it was still the woman that they had before, at least the bassist's ghoul mask looked different than the others in the clips I've seen. 

Either way, sucks that he's not with Bloodbath anymore, but if he is in Ghost, good for him!
I think Per is the lead guitarist now. Chris Catalyst is the rhythm, Hayden Scott is the drummer, no clue who bass, third guitar, and the Ghulehs are, although some have said one might be Erna from Lordi.

I think you’re thinking of Meg Thomas who was on the US run of the Popestar tour before everyone else got fired. She’s thanked in the liner notes of the album
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #629 on: June 06, 2018, 01:12:48 PM »
Was checking out tickets for the arena show in Brooklyn at the end of the year.  They aren't selling any of the upper deck slots.  I guess it makes sense that Ghost isn't ready to be an arena act just yet.  I'm considering going but see no need to buy a ticket soon.  I like the album and think them on a big stage to possibly end the tour could be a really cool experience.