Author Topic: The Official Ghost Thread v. summer 2023 US tour  (Read 117906 times)

Offline nick_z

Re: The Official Ghost Thread v. New album March 2022
« Reply #980 on: March 16, 2022, 06:14:09 AM »
Anyone realized yet that the theme of Imperium (opening intro) gets reprised at the end of Spitalfields during the fade out of the song and therefore of the album?

Yep!  :biggrin:

I like that they reprise the melody of the instrumental intro in the final song (which, speaking of guitar work, has some really tasty interplay and solos). Not the first time Ghost does something like this, and it works great here.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #981 on: March 16, 2022, 07:53:23 AM »
Has anyone noticed that the vocal melody and lyrics in the Griftwood chorus seems to rip off Hide and Seek by Seventh Wonder?!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #982 on: March 16, 2022, 10:19:28 AM »
I still need to get this album, just been busy but I really want to check it out soon.  I did check out Kaisarian on youtube and thought the mix was a bit odd.  I might have just gotten used to watching the live performances of it on youtube.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #983 on: March 17, 2022, 05:56:12 AM »
Hi my name is 'Darkness at the Heart on my Love' I'm a cheesy power ballad, resistance is futile...

'No what are you doing?  STOP!  Please get outta my head......GET OUT OF MY H......There's a darkness at the heart of my love, That runs cold, runs deep

Lifeform assimilated.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #984 on: March 17, 2022, 06:05:59 AM »
Thanks, it's now stuck in my head.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #985 on: March 17, 2022, 07:23:58 AM »
Hi my name is 'Darkness at the Heart on my Love' I'm a cheesy power ballad, resistance is futile...

'No what are you doing?  STOP!  Please get outta my head......GET OUT OF MY H......There's a darkness at the heart of my love, That runs cold, runs deep

"I'm with you always.... I'm with you always...."

Also...

IT'S THE CRUEL!
BEAST!
THAT YOU SEEK!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #986 on: March 17, 2022, 06:29:40 PM »
My fingers are crossed that "Darkness at the Heart of My Love" becomes the next single and that they make a killer video for it. It's such a beautiful song!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #987 on: March 17, 2022, 06:47:28 PM »
YouTube their new performance on Jimmy Kimmel. It's good.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #988 on: March 17, 2022, 06:47:56 PM »
After sitting with the new album a bit I like it a little bit less than Prequelle but it's still my third favorite below that and Meliora. The songwriting isn't as strong as those two, but I think this album has the best vocal and guitar performances yet. Every song is incredibly catchy as well, though sometimes in an annoying way (Twenties, Griftwood).
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline nick_z

« Reply #989 on: March 17, 2022, 07:41:15 PM »

It sure is! Do we know who the musicians are in the live band?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #990 on: March 17, 2022, 07:43:28 PM »
I don't. But I know the album had Fredrik Åkesson from Opeth playing on it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #991 on: March 17, 2022, 07:43:50 PM »

Wait..it was a music video. It wasn't a live performance.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #992 on: March 17, 2022, 07:44:35 PM »

It sure is! Do we know who the musicians are in the live band?

I'm real partial to the 2017 touring band. They were incredible.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #993 on: March 17, 2022, 08:40:21 PM »
Gave this a couple listens this week. I felt I enjoyed Prequelle more after the first spins, but that was my first album after becoming a fan, so that might inform my opinion a bit. Ghost is a band I don't listen to for the songs, but the album, and this one delivers on that score.

Solid album, but missing some of the spooky personality I found and enjoyed on their previous albums.

I get this.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #994 on: March 17, 2022, 08:47:26 PM »

That's definitely live. Live music video?

I had the pleasure of seeing Ghost on the Pale tour. They're a great live band. Tobias can at least come close to his studio singing voice. That's something i appreciate from a front man

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #995 on: March 18, 2022, 02:37:58 AM »
Any guesses on how many songs will be played live in the next tour?

The first four are a given, three have already been played and I refuse to believe Spillways won't be in the set, the rest of the songs might all have a chance on their own, but they can't be played all...

Twenties, as wacky as it is, I believe will be played, and also Watcher in the Sky might have a chance. It's the final three remaining songs I have doubts about... Griftwood is  the one least likely to be played, the "ballad" and the "epic" might get a chance but dunno, maybe he'll just keep He Is as a slow moment.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #996 on: March 18, 2022, 06:56:42 AM »
Spillways and Little Miss Sunshine for sure since they were already being played on the pre-imperator shows in early march. Probably Hunter's Moon, as well, due to its single status and appearanceon the Halloween Kills soundtrack. From there....who knows? Ghost has some setlist staples (Pinnacle, Square Hammer, Mummy Dust, Dance Macabre, Ritual), so they'll all be in the set. I hope they don't play both He Is and Darkness. That's  2 too many slow songs for this guy.

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #997 on: March 18, 2022, 07:31:40 AM »
They played basically every song from Prequelle when I saw them during that tour (I think the 2nd instrumental is the only one they skipped) so I'd say every full song has a chance.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #998 on: March 18, 2022, 07:54:33 AM »

Seems like what many bands have done on these shows during the pandemic, a pre-recorded "live" track.  It sounds live though.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #999 on: March 18, 2022, 07:56:42 AM »

The first four are a given, three have already been played and I refuse to believe Spillways won't be in the set, the rest of the songs might all have a chance on their own, but they can't be played all...

Twenties, as wacky as it is, I believe will be played, and also Watcher in the Sky might have a chance. It's the final three remaining songs I have doubts about... Griftwood is  the one least likely to be played, the "ballad" and the "epic" might get a chance but dunno, maybe he'll just keep He Is as a slow moment.

Good chance that'll be on the setlist due to the popularity of the song - it's currently the runaway leader on the best song on the album poll!

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1000 on: March 18, 2022, 08:22:47 AM »

Good chance that'll be on the setlist due to the popularity of the song - it's currently the runaway leader on the best song on the album poll!

That's funny considering it's my least favorite. :lol

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1001 on: March 18, 2022, 08:28:50 AM »

How is that even possible lol? That song makes me want to throw on the ol' dancing shoes, and get my groove on.

(full disclosure: I don't actually own dancing shoes nor do I have any groove)

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1002 on: March 18, 2022, 08:31:21 AM »
It's "just" a mid tempo plodding song, with an album that has already four "singles" for lack of a better term, two energetic song, the epic and the ballad, this is to me the most expandable one when creating a setlist.

But even if I don't terribly like it, I have it stuck in my head, and also today I mumbled "You wanna play with the sire, you want a view from the spire..." thank you Tobias and your damn melodies  :lol

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1003 on: March 18, 2022, 08:33:30 AM »

How is that even possible lol? That song makes me want to throw on the ol' dancing shoes, and get my groove on.

(full disclosure: I don't actually own dancing shoes nor do I have any groove)

The chorus, despite being catchy, is kind of annoying (mostly because of the "YESSSSSSSS" whispers), and generally I just find the song way too slow-paced; the whole mid-tempo classic rock vibe just doesn't do much for me. The bridge is nice though.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1004 on: March 18, 2022, 08:56:18 AM »
I think for me it's the dual guitar solo that gets me. In terms of favorite catchy song, Spillways is the clear front runner, but that solo in Griftwood gets me every time. That's how Ghost gets you hooked. They have these catchy sections in most songs, but they're so short it leaves you wanting to listen again and again to hear your favorite parts.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1005 on: March 18, 2022, 09:29:33 AM »
I think for me it's the dual guitar solo that gets me. In terms of favorite catchy song, Spillways is the clear front runner, but that solo in Griftwood gets me every time. That's how Ghost gets you hooked. They have these catchy sections in most songs, but they're so short it leaves you wanting to listen again and again to hear your favorite parts.

Prime example: Watcher in the Sky, there's a cool post-chorus part that is bombastic and is way better than the actual chorus.... and it only comes once, d'uh!

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1006 on: March 18, 2022, 12:41:15 PM »

I was pretty indifferent on this song but this performance changed my mind. It’s really good.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1007 on: March 18, 2022, 12:55:41 PM »
New album is good. Definitely better than Prequelle. Still, I'm not necessarily blown away, Ghost to me is like a 7/10 band where the music is kinda bland but some songs have decent hooks. I do appreciate that he shakes the sound up a bit and tries new things, even when it doesn't quite work for me. If we start with the good I think Kaisarion is a fun energetic song that almost reminds me a bit of Rush in places, I think Watcher in the Sky has a catchy chorus and Darkness at the Heart of my Love is a surprisingly good ballad that IMO slaps "He Is" two times over. If we go to the negative I think Twenties might not just be bad but cringe levels of bad. It does sound unique (i'll give it that) but the mixture of caribbean pirate sea chant mixed with brass instruments and nu-metal splashes with really bad lyrics and cringe vocal delivery (that 'listen up motherfuckers' part sounds like it could have been a limp bizkit or korn song or something) but at least you can say by trying different things they keep it fresh. Some things will work some won't.

Overall I'd say it's an enjoyable little listening experience and I don't really find myself bored through the 45 minutes but on the flip side I don't think either of these songs are really amazing or anything either. It's decent!

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1008 on: March 18, 2022, 12:59:48 PM »
I don't want to defend Twenties, but the lyrics are cringe on purpouse. They're a shot at a certain orange guy, but more generally, it's about arrogance and you're supposed to dislike the lyrics and, in turn, the people who would "sing" them.

There's also a bit of clever irony in the lyrics, the chorus goes "in the twenties we'll do this and that" and then add "all the way to the thirties".... those arrogant people thought they would rule the world, but we know what the thirties broought (or, well, 1st September 1939 to be more precise).

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1009 on: March 18, 2022, 01:01:54 PM »
I enjoy Twenties up until the chorus hits.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1010 on: March 18, 2022, 01:05:51 PM »
I don't want to defend Twenties, but the lyrics are cringe on purpouse. They're a shot at a certain orange guy, but more generally, it's about arrogance and you're supposed to dislike the lyrics and, in turn, the people who would "sing" them.

There's also a bit of clever irony in the lyrics, the chorus goes "in the twenties we'll do this and that" and then add "all the way to the thirties".... those arrogant people thought they would rule the world, but we know what the thirties broought (or, well, 1st September 1939 to be more precise).

Oh yeah for sure, I don't really mind that. Still when listening to it you gotta judge it for what it is. :P Kinda similar to how some movies might have a good message or a deeper meaning but if it does nothing for you then it doesn't matter. :D

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #1011 on: March 18, 2022, 01:25:54 PM »
New album is good. Still, I'm not necessarily blown away, Ghost to me is like a 7/10 band where the music is kinda bland but some songs have decent hooks.

THIS. Much better LIVE!

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1012 on: March 18, 2022, 01:30:52 PM »
I didn't like either of When Call Me Little Sunshine and Hunter's Moon when they were released, and was already pre-judging the album. A week in, and what must be 10 listen throughs, there's not a track I don't like (2 of the 3 instrumentals notwithstanding). None of their previous albums can boast the same. They all have a bunch of filler songs that trend heavily to boring. Even those aforementioned lead singles have really grown on me (perhaps thanks to listening in my head phones vs. out loud on my phone through youtube). You can find reasons to dislike the album (too poppy, not spooky, too different, etc.), and they're valid, but this is an absolutely entertaining album for me. Early contender for album of the year

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1013 on: March 18, 2022, 02:42:03 PM »
Anyway, Ghost lore time!!!

While I know the lore, and I follow the videos and know the general story, I'm not that obsessed with it all to the point that I could provide links and full documentation, BUT....

So far, the basically accepted theory is that Cardinal Copia, now Papa Emeritus IV, is the son of Sister Imperator (the woman from the videos, that hooked up with Papa Nihil, sax guy).

However, I remember reading who knows where (Reddit?) that Forge said that Copia was "not what he seemed", and let's remember that his name literally means "copy" in italian... he's a copy of something or someone?

And then we have the lyrics in the final song of the album:

He appeared to ascend
So we all stood there in awe
Now we have to pretend
We didn't see what we saw
With the curtain unveiled
To the sound of applause
That the king that we hailed
Was the wizard of Oz

Could it be that the Cardinal, now Papa IV, is an imposter, just like the Wizard of Oz was? that in the end it will turn out he's not the son of Sister Imperator and he was a fraud? let's remember that, as silly and campy the lore is, Tobias put some thought into it - think of Miasma live, the whole tour we saw Papa Nihil almost pass out at the end before the final sax note and we all thought it was a cool gag, but actually at the very last date Papa Nihil died on that sax solo, thus allowing Copia to "ascend the throne". His death was foreshadowed the whole time, the whole tour, and if someone on Reddit would have guessed it, I would have deemed him an overly obsessed fan putting forward a wacky theory.

Also, the theme of the album is the rise and fall of empires, so definitively Papa IV will be gone at the end of the album cycle - but how will it happen, he will fall from grace (from the pinnacle to the pit?  :D) or he will be actually exposed as a fraud, a cheater and an imposter?

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1014 on: March 18, 2022, 04:03:21 PM »
That was a fantastic analysis that makes me look forward to 2024.  ;D