Author Topic: The Official Ghost Thread v. summer 2023 US tour  (Read 119627 times)

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
Re: The Official Ghost Thread v. New album March 2022
« Reply #1050 on: April 04, 2022, 02:37:19 AM »

It's my favourite Ghost album, still to this day. I know I'm in the minority though, lots of people don't seem to rank it that high.

It's mine too,

1. Infestissumam.

Then it get tough as there isn't much between Meliora, Prequelle and Impera.   I think i'd go...

2. Prequelle - I love the theme of this album.
3. Impera - It's grown on me so much.
4. Meliora - Maybe rank higher than Impera is you include 'Square Hammer'.

5. Opus Eponymous.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1051 on: April 12, 2022, 01:21:05 AM »
Saw Ghost in the O2 London last night.  Very entertaining!   Twin Temple the first support act were also really good.   Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats were a bit bland though....But Ghost yeah....very, very good.  Strong setlist too - although heavily drawn from the last 3 albums.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1052 on: April 12, 2022, 01:43:40 AM »
I believe they live debuted two Impera songs last night?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1053 on: April 12, 2022, 01:46:52 AM »
I'm trying my best to avoid spoilers, I will be seeing them on the 5th of May  :D

Looking forward to it, opening is Uncle Acid and I know of them so I have at least an additional band to look forward to.

It's the icing on the cake, I like some of their songs but I'm not such a fan to the point that I would go to see them on purpouse, but having them served on a plate before Ghost is gonna be cool.

(Second edit, isn't it cool when such things happen, especially at a festival? we can't all either love a band or be completely indifferent, we all have our middle of the road bands, those that "yeah, they're cool I guess, I'm not gonna pay specifically for a concert or drive 2 hours just to see them, but since I'm going to this festival anyway I'm gonna check them out").
« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 02:10:55 AM by MirrorMask »
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1054 on: April 12, 2022, 02:22:48 AM »

They played 4 songs from Impera.  They were the same 4 as the Manchester date - the setlist was pretty much the same aside from London got Mary on a Cross  (which I was super happy about as I love that song)  ;D

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1055 on: April 12, 2022, 02:31:59 AM »

Looking forward to it, opening is Uncle Acid and I know of them so I have at least an additional band to look forward to.

When I said they were bland, they were sandwiched between Twin Temple and Ghost who are highly theatrical and fun.  Uncle Acid were just 4(?) guys dressed normally playing fuzz-driven rock, I wasn't familiar with their music and it tended to all blend into one swirling sound!

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1056 on: April 12, 2022, 02:43:56 AM »

They played 4 songs from Impera.  They were the same 4 as the Manchester date - the setlist was pretty much the same aside from London got Mary on a Cross  (which I was super happy about as I love that song)  ;D

Ah you're right, they were debuted in Manchester on the 9th.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1057 on: April 12, 2022, 05:03:17 AM »
Spoilers for the lore of the band, and therefore a song in the show. I want to put the tinfoil hat and be a Ghost conspirationist too  ;D

Browsing the Ghost sub on Reddit means that Reddit, even if I'm not actually following, suggests me articles, and therefore I know  that they play Miasma and.... Papa Nihil is back! they necromance him to life just to play the sax solo, then he probably goes back to being a dead mummy, dunno.

In the latest Youtube video, someone also pointed out how there were three candles lighted for a saint that has something to do with life eternal or resurrection of whatever, and we know there are three dead Papas now.

So, combine all of this:

- The album is about rise and fall of the empires
- Forge said that Copia would be around 4-5 years
- It's kinda a given that for the next album there will be a new character
- Papa Nihil is back

And my crazy theory is that....

...as suggested by the last stanza of Respite on the Spitalfields, Cardinal Copia (now Emeritus IV) is an imposter, and the three previous Papas will be brought back to life to kill him or anyway depose him.

Think of what a spectable it must be to see Emeritus IV on stage (Forge will be playing him of course, he has to sing) and the three other Papas appearing TOGETHER (they will be played by actors, a mask is a mask) and, dunno, kill him with knives or something  :lol they will be resurrected to depose him and we will see them all together in their former glory.

For the next album there will be a new character, it would be cool to see the three Papas ruling together but changing two masks mid-concert would bee too much of an annoyance, but I want to call it now: Nihil is back and so will Papa Emeritus I, II and III, and that's how Emeritus IV will go down.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1058 on: April 12, 2022, 05:21:15 AM »
Spoilers for the lore of the band, and therefore a song in the show. I want to put the tinfoil hat and be a Ghost conspirationist too  ;D

Browsing the Ghost sub on Reddit means that Reddit, even if I'm not actually following, suggests me articles, and therefore I know  that they play Miasma and.... Papa Nihil is back! they necromance him to life just to play the sax solo, then he probably goes back to being a dead mummy, dunno.

Yeah he pops back for the Sax solo on Miasma (which is very funny, cus you get the goofy dancing with the Ghouls) - then the stage goes black and when the lights comeback on Papa Nihil is gone and Forge (who disappears during entirety of Miasma) wandered back on stage and asks 'Did I miss anything?'.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1059 on: May 06, 2022, 01:41:24 AM »
Aaaand I finally saw Ghost the way it was meant to be, a headliner show with the full production!!!  :metal

After Sonisphere 2013 (festival) and the opening slot for Metallica in 2019, I finally got the full deal. Absolutely entertaining and spectacular show, it was my first concert in the usual big arena where everyone "big" plays (Dream Theater included, and I'm gonna see them there TOMORROW!!!).

The production, the light show, the costumes, everything was tied together to offer an amazing show. Loved the various costumes, would have liked to see more of the papal robes but hey, you can't jump around for stuff like Kaisarion and Square Hammer dressed as a pope  ;D

Setlist was great, although a bit predictable - it was basically all the "hits" from previous albums, no real surprises, but I had a blast anyway. A pity I missed their headliner show last time around, but I did sure have the time of my life with this one!!!!

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1060 on: May 06, 2022, 05:33:48 AM »
Aaaand I finally saw Ghost the way it was meant to be, a headliner show with the full production!!!  :metal

After Sonisphere 2013 (festival) and the opening slot for Metallica in 2019, I finally got the full deal. Absolutely entertaining and spectacular show, it was my first concert in the usual big arena where everyone "big" plays (Dream Theater included, and I'm gonna see them there TOMORROW!!!).

The production, the light show, the costumes, everything was tied together to offer an amazing show. Loved the various costumes, would have liked to see more of the papal robes but hey, you can't jump around for stuff like Kaisarion and Square Hammer dressed as a pope  ;D

Setlist was great, although a bit predictable - it was basically all the "hits" from previous albums, no real surprises, but I had a blast anyway. A pity I missed their headliner show last time around, but I did sure have the time of my life with this one!!!!

Just had a look at the setlist and it's the same as I saw at London, twas a good one - although could have done with a couple more from  Infestissumam.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1061 on: May 06, 2022, 06:51:22 AM »
Yeah, literally any song in place of Enter Sandman would have been cool.

Altough I've read is for a noble cause - when they were asked to cover a song for that Metallica compilation, they were also asked to pick a charity, and they went for one that supports transgender kids, so each time they play the song live a little bit of royalties get channeled into that charity.

So I applaud them for that, even though I'm still skeptical about not only having a cover in the set, but one of the most known and overplayed songs of the entire genre. I mean, it's not that they're playing Avalanche or If You Have Ghost, it's Enter freakin' Sandman, we've heard it enough for 10 lifetimes   :D

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1062 on: May 06, 2022, 07:19:42 AM »
I would have preferred any other song from Impera (Twenties!) over Hunters Moon.  And I'm probably in the minority here but I've never been overly keen on Mummy Dust so would have happily swapped that out.  But you always get a few personal quibbles and overall it was a great set.

What did you make of Twin Temples - I thought they were great!

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1063 on: May 06, 2022, 07:40:54 AM »
Definitely agree on Mummy Dust. It's just not that great a song, and it's in every single setlist on every single tour.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1064 on: May 06, 2022, 08:53:16 AM »
What did you make of Twin Temples - I thought they were great!

Eh, missed them.

Uncle Acid was cool, classic band that I'll take a chance to see them if they're already in a lineup, but wouldn't pay for an headliner concerts of them.

I also agree on Mummy Dust, I don't mind the song but it should be the first, for me, to get the axe.

In my compilation - I always like to create compilations that flow like a setlist - the first encore song is Monstrance Clock, if you cut out the chanting outro, it flows quite nicely into Dance Macabre, the transition is kinda cool!

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1065 on: July 27, 2022, 06:14:33 AM »
BUMP!

Ghost have just released a new music video, this one is for the track 'Spillways'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9DV1eHQpcA

Offline Deathless

« Reply #1066 on: July 27, 2022, 06:34:20 AM »
BUMP!

Ghost have just released a new music video, this one is for the track 'Spillways'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9DV1eHQpcA

Nice! I haven't been listening to this album much recently so this was good to get it back on my radar.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1067 on: July 27, 2022, 07:37:00 AM »
Been spinning this one a lot since finally picking it up a few weeks ago. Catchy, fun, and some head banging. The closing track is my favorite.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online Mladen

« Reply #1068 on: July 27, 2022, 08:15:34 AM »
That was a fantastic choice for a single. It was just a matter of time before the video for it was released. Tobias is well aware that he needs to keep a truly great single for later on. Nothing else matters was the third or fourth single from The Black album, you cannot put it out right away. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1069 on: July 27, 2022, 08:17:52 AM »
Been spinning this one a lot since finally picking it up a few weeks ago. Catchy, fun, and some head banging. The closing track is my favorite.

Yeah, I listened a few times recently after a few months of it on the shelf.  It's a really good album.  It's near the top of my favorite albums of 2022 so far.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1070 on: July 27, 2022, 08:50:46 AM »
I still listen to Impera regularly, and it's SO good.

The songs are uber-catchy, of course, but the arrangements are so rich and well thought-out...there's a lot going on, especially with the guitars. Instrumentally, there's always some neat variations from one verse to the other and you can really tell Tobias knows his craft (along with the producers, I'm sure)

Spillways is no different, it's a great song. Intro is very early Toto/Bon Jovi, but the melodies give me a Trash-era Alice Cooper vibe.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1071 on: July 27, 2022, 09:37:18 AM »
The songs are uber-catchy, of course, but the arrangements are so rich and well thought-out...there's a lot going on, especially with the guitars. Instrumentally, there's always some neat variations from one verse to the other and you can really tell Tobias knows his craft (along with the producers, I'm sure)

Watcher in the Sky for example is not that memorable and repetitive, but the bridge "For the light of the savior, his machiavellian grace" (or something to that effect) is awesome.

And what about Griftwood? "Holy mother, you're washing the sins from our feet.... holy mother,  you shine like the sun and the moon and the stars and the sky"....  :hefdaddy

That song is a damn grower, at first I was almost annoyed by it, I thought it was catchy in an irritating way, and slowed down the album too much between a ballad and the slowish closing epic, but damn if it's catchy indeed, and the Holy Mother part is absolutely beautiful.

And speaking of the ballad, I love the outro with the dark low voice beneath.

When the summer dies...
Severing the ties...
I'm with you always...
A-a-a-always......

Online Mladen

« Reply #1072 on: July 28, 2022, 03:18:42 AM »
I am not too crazy about the ballad, but those backing vocals on the outro are very touching.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #1073 on: July 28, 2022, 04:05:24 PM »

Spillways is no different, it's a great song. Intro is very early Toto/Bon Jovi, but the melodies give me a Trash-era Alice Cooper vibe.

Through the spillways
Through the spillways
Of your soul

Is very, very close in melody to:

You're poison
You're poison
Running through my veins

I still enjoy Impera regularly. Great record.

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1074 on: July 28, 2022, 07:51:17 PM »

Through the spillways
Through the spillways
Of your soul

Is very, very close in melody to:

You're poison
You're poison
Running through my veins

I still enjoy Impera regularly. Great record.

Yep, that's exactly what I was thinking about...

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #1075 on: July 29, 2022, 01:51:05 AM »
But Tobias didn't bother getting the super-hot lady in navy underwear for his video.  :tdwn

1 star. Would not recommend.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1076 on: July 29, 2022, 12:33:39 PM »
But Tobias didn't bother getting the super-hot lady in navy underwear for his video.  :tdwn

1 star. Would not recommend.

:lol

Speaking of that video, a short story - there was this daily 30-minute show on Italian TV at the end of the 80s (maybe going into the 90s too, can't quite remember)...they just had music videos and would go over some top 10 or whatever. Anyway, it airs early in the afternoon and I would sometimes watch it after coming back from school.

Well, the one day in 1989 they went ahead and air the "uncensored" version of the Poison video, where the aforementioned lady shows more, um, goodies than the regular version. To reiterate - this is regular TV (not cable), and it's 2 in the afternoon or something, so you can imagine the surprise for 12-year old me (and - I'd imagine - anyone that tuned in)  :biggrin: I had seen the regular video many times on the Italian MTV channel (Poison was pretty big when it came out) and did NOT expect this. Not sure if that was a mistake or someone at the station deciding to have some fun  :biggrin:

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #1077 on: July 29, 2022, 05:05:16 PM »
 :o  :lol

That's great. I wasn't aware that another version even existed.

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #1078 on: August 22, 2022, 02:23:26 PM »
Apparently "Mary on a Cross" is becoming a TikTok hit or something. I'm not on that site because I'm in my 40s, but this news makes me happy because that's the Ghost song I always felt deserved much more exposure.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 02:28:45 AM by Dittomist »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1079 on: August 22, 2022, 02:34:09 PM »
Apparently "Mary on a Cross" is becoming a TikTok hit or something. I'm not on that site because I'm in 40s, but this news makes me happy because that's the Ghost song I always felt deserved much more exposure.

I saw a headline about this but haven't come across it on my tiktok feed.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1080 on: August 23, 2022, 01:48:25 AM »
Not on Tik Tok because I'm also in my 40's.  But saw the headlines, something to do with Stranger Things - which I do watch because I'm in my 40's.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1081 on: October 16, 2022, 06:48:23 PM »
I want to add a Ghost song to my trick or treating playlist but I also don’t want to offend anyone as we usually get 100+ kids at our house. Thinking ‘Dance Macabre’ is a safe choice, anyone think of something a little more spookier while staying family friendly?
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online Mladen

« Reply #1082 on: October 17, 2022, 01:17:51 AM »
Just go with Year Zero. The kids gotta learn at some point, man.  ;D

I think Hunter's moon is a fun choice. It's not too heavy, there's no reference to the devil, but it's still spooky.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1083 on: October 17, 2022, 01:40:32 AM »
Hunter's Moon was written for the Halloween movie last year, so it's a perfect choice for your playlist.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1084 on: October 17, 2022, 03:41:53 AM »
Funny thing about being family friendly, the new album has no mention of Lucifer or Satan or the devil, but it's quite "satanic".

I mean, I'm not that interested in that stuff, I just happened to stumble upon some description of the thing, but basically there are two types of satanism: the silly, over the top one, with the robes and the chants and whatever cheesy thing you can imagine, and the more "philosophic" one, where a philosophy of life is just labelled "satanism" because the figure of the devil is taken as an example and allegory for self determination, being true to yourself, rejecting dogmas and religious impositions etc...

From that point of view, the new album is full of these so called "satanic" themes. So, you won't find direct references to Lucifer, Satan and the likes, but Impera has definitively "satanic" themes through and through.

There might be some inaccurancies in what I've wrote, as I said, I'm not actually into that thing. But the general gist is there.