Author Topic: The Official Ghost Thread v. summer 2023 US tour  (Read 117900 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: The Official Ghost Thread v. New album March 2022
« Reply #1015 on: March 19, 2022, 01:44:40 AM »
The thing that impresses me the most with Ghost is how Tobias crafted the lore around the band, the visual aesthetic and I think it shows because it kinda pulls people in. I've said it before that if Ghost was just 4 normal dudes with no makeup or special visual element to their show, based on just their music alone I don't think they would be anywhere near as successful but the fact you have that lore element it shows that people care about the 'overall package' of a band so to speak.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1016 on: March 19, 2022, 04:50:35 AM »
I've spent a week with the album and I've got to say, Tobias is well aware that not everyone in the metal scene has the ability to craft such catchy melodies and choruses. It's that Swedish efect, growing up with Abba, Army of lovers and The Cardigans does have an impact on you. The poppy choruses have worked well since the first album and kept getting more important and more prominent. At this point, they are so huge that even the 80s mainstream glam acts would envy them. Still, there is plenty of powerful riffs, intricate playing, complex structures and grand concepts to make the album stick out as serious and thoughtful.

Some of my favorites include Spillways, Kaiserion, Respite, Hunter's moon and Watcher in the sky. I would even defend Twenties, in the same way I would defend Three days by Dream Theater. The only song that doesn't quite work for me is the ballad, it's fairly ordinary.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1017 on: March 21, 2022, 03:20:18 AM »
The new album is doing pretty well on the charts across the world in the first week.
  • Germany: #1 (the band's highest-ever position in Germany)
  • Sweden: #1
  • U.K.: #2 (the band's highest-ever position in the UK)
  • Netherlands: #2 (the band's highest-ever position in The Netherlands)
  • Belgium: #2 (the band's highest-ever position in Belgium)
  • Norway: #2
  • Australia: #3 (the band's highest-ever position in Australia)
  • France: #5 (the band's highest-ever position in France)
  • Ireland: #5 (the band's highest-ever position in Ireland)
  • Italy: #20 (the band's highest-ever position in Italy)
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1018 on: March 21, 2022, 05:17:33 AM »

Some of my favorites include Spillways, Kaiserion, Respite, Hunter's moon and Watcher in the sky. I would even defend Twenties, in the same way I would defend Three days by Dream Theater. The only song that doesn't quite work for me is the ballad, it's fairly ordinary.

Twenties is a awesome song, like something from Faith No More in their pomp.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1019 on: March 21, 2022, 06:02:27 AM »
My first reaction to Twenties was "was the fuck is this", but I kept coming back to it and now I love it. It also works really well in the context of the album. To me it is also one of their most intense songs, in a weird way.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1020 on: March 21, 2022, 06:44:22 AM »
I can't get Griftwood out of my head, geez.

Anyway.... Tobias did it again, this album won me over! it's perfect and it's gonna go down at one of the best albums of the latest year? no. Would I wish for some things to be more different, like more dark and heavy vibes? hell yeah. But when I stop to judge the album for what is not, and see it for what it is, I enjoy the hell out of it.

I said before, and someone agreed, that all Ghost albums are "easy" to listen to, not in the poppish sense of the word, but in the sense that every album is a coherent experience that does not bore you or tire you. Impera is not an exception. The album (again, maybe not the OMG UNBELIEAVABLE MASTERPIECE BEST EVER!!!11) flows very well, all the songs are at the very least good, and once you hear the theme of Impera closing off the album, the experience comes full circle.

Perfect? no. Another (maybe sleeper) hit that is well worth of being added to the Ghost discography if you judge it for what it is? absolutely!!!!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1021 on: March 21, 2022, 06:52:31 AM »
Anyone else think it's Deadhead (by Devin Townsend) any time Griftwood starts :lol Good albums for me, for now. Can't compare it to previous two yet but I already like it more than first two.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1022 on: March 22, 2022, 09:53:14 AM »
Finally got the album and gave it a few listens.  Very good stuff.  Need more listens to say more, but this is so far my favorite album release of 2022. (competition hasn't been hard so far though).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1023 on: March 22, 2022, 06:58:56 PM »
Love seeing all of these positive reviews. I will be picking up this new one very soon.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1024 on: March 22, 2022, 07:19:20 PM »
Love seeing all of these positive reviews. I will be picking up this new one very soon.

You are in for a treat!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1025 on: March 22, 2022, 07:20:07 PM »
I don't get it, sorry.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1026 on: March 22, 2022, 07:32:06 PM »
I don't get it, sorry.

Did you give the last album a shot?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1027 on: March 22, 2022, 07:47:51 PM »
I don't get it, sorry.

I've really just sampled them here and there. I saw them open for Iron Maiden, and I thought that band was great. I had sampled some of their earlier stuff before that and it didn't grab me. I liked what I heard at the show, but the band members really sold their performance. I bought the live album and have only listened to it a couple of times.

I also must say that I'm of a fan of the singer. It's not the characters that bug me, but the guy, IMO, seems like a real dick. His stage banter is fucking dreadful. Plus, he's getting sued by ex band members?

I've thought about doing a deep dive on them and reporting back in the thread, but I just haven't gotten up the strength to see it through.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1028 on: March 22, 2022, 08:36:42 PM »
I saw a Ghost show and thought it totally delivered. The musicians were excellent. And yes I thought the stage banter was a bit silly at times, but I assume that is Tobias' stage persona. It was a bit disappointing but maybe I just had a different expectation going in. But I I do not really know anything about him personally. I also am only aware of the lawsuit; I have not followed the particulars.

I would definitely suggest diving in to the discography. There are only 5 albums and much shorter than an average contemporary CD. And their songs always sound better within the context of their albums. I never think "I am going to listen to this one Ghost song..." because it won't be nearly as enjoyable as a standalone.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1029 on: March 22, 2022, 08:36:59 PM »
I don't get it, sorry.

I've really just sampled them here and there. I saw them open for Iron Maiden, and I thought that band was great. I had sampled some of their earlier stuff before that and it didn't grab me. I liked what I heard at the show, but the band members really sold their performance. I bought the live album and have only listened to it a couple of times.

I also must say that I'm of a fan of the singer. It's not the characters that bug me, but the guy, IMO, seems like a real dick. His stage banter is fucking dreadful. Plus, he's getting sued by ex band members?

I've thought about doing a deep dive on them and reporting back in the thread, but I just haven't gotten up the strength to see it through.

I'm not sure I can say much about Tobias Forge (the singer) as a person, but from what I can gather he's a really good all-around songwriter, with a knack for writing catchy stuff that has a way of grabbing you and, importantly, staying with you  ;D Looks like he's collaborated more with external songwriters for this last album, but in general I think he's pretty talented that way.

As for individual records: Not sure what of the earlier stuff you sampled, but I think you might enjoy the first (Opus Eponymous), to start. It's very catchy, as all Ghost albums, but it has more of that dark/occult rock vibe, with traces of (simplified) Mercyful Fate, Blue Oyster Cult, and some Sabbath. Not particularly heavy, and the production/arrangements are much more "bare bones" than the more recent material, but it's really good.

I would also definitely give the last one a listen. Some brilliant stuff in there. There's a stronger 80s influence in general, and the songs are incredibly well crafted and arranged.

If I had to pick my overall favorite, I'd probably say Meliora (their third), but really their catalog is consistently good (their second, Infestissumam, is my least favorite, but even that one has a bunch of really good tunes)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1030 on: March 22, 2022, 08:38:54 PM »
I got through probably half of the new album on its release day. Interesting for sure. I could manage a 5 album deep dive I guess.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1031 on: March 22, 2022, 09:43:05 PM »
One thing I noticed about Ghost's albums is that they feel like they are the right length. Sometimes I will listen to an album, even one I fully enjoy, and think "phew, I made it." If it was a new album, it is sometimes "wow, that was a lot to take in..." Ghost albums never feel like that. I once read a great essay about how the hour-long Seinfeld episodes were not as strong as the normal episodes because something was lost when they didn't have to be as concise to meet the time allowed in a half hour sitcom. And maybe there is something to Jerry's notion of "Always leave 'em wanting more..."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #1032 on: March 23, 2022, 03:39:01 AM »
I wake up. Impera tracks are in my head. I wander round the house. Sing Impera songs to myself. Get the groceries. Humming Impera songs.

He really writes terrific SONGS. Metal has largely lost its way with that over the last couple of decades, with more of a focus on "extreme" influences and production values, imo. Love that Ghost is so song oriented.

I've not seen them live so not sure about the silly banter, but I've always seen them as a silly, goofy, tongue in cheek band.

Agree about album length.. For the most part, less is more.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1033 on: March 23, 2022, 04:40:44 AM »

I've not seen them live so not sure about the silly banter, but I've always seen them as a silly, goofy, tongue in cheek band.

I'm seriously toying with going to see them in London at the 02 on April the 11th - the only thing that's stopping me is Covid, which is getting worse again in the UK sadly.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1034 on: March 23, 2022, 06:05:41 AM »
Ghost was here last month, and I had thought about going, but tickets ended up being crazy expensive, so I passed.  I later looked at the set list and was glad I didn't go because a) the show seemed pretty short (only 15 songs as the main act, which is not a lot considering their songs are not long), and b) they didn't play He Is, which was my gateway song for them and one I would have been bummed about not seeing.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1035 on: March 23, 2022, 07:45:19 AM »
Ghost was here last month, and I had thought about going, but tickets ended up being crazy expensive, so I passed.  I later looked at the set list and was glad I didn't go because a) the show seemed pretty short (only 15 songs as the main act, which is not a lot considering their songs are not long), and b) they didn't play He Is, which was my gateway song for them and one I would have been bummed about not seeing.

Think that was part of the joint headlining tour with Volbeat - which both bands played a similar length shorter than normal set. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1036 on: March 23, 2022, 07:52:34 AM »
Yup, that's a coheadlining tour set.  Their previous US tour was just them doing two sets so we might have gotten a little spoiled.  The one show Volbeat missed when the drummer got covid is the only show Ghost performed He Is. 

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #1037 on: March 23, 2022, 08:48:47 AM »

I'm seriously toying with going to see them in London at the 02 on April the 11th - the only thing that's stopping me is Covid, which is getting worse again in the UK sadly.

Yeah, I'm toying with the Birmingham date. I just went to Chvrches and didn't get covid there. My inherent laziness will probably be what stops me.  ;D

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1038 on: March 23, 2022, 09:58:44 AM »
Ghost is absolutely worth the price of admission for a live show. I agree that Tobias' banter can't be grating, but the set, costumes, music, and performance quality are with seeing. I will definitely see them if they roll through here again on the Impera tour.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1039 on: March 31, 2022, 03:31:56 AM »
Their latest Instagram post hints at a possible live release?

"We wish to inform you Ghost’s recent rituals will live on in infamy… #IMPERA #LiveMusic #thebandghost"

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1040 on: March 31, 2022, 04:59:55 AM »
Some random thoughts after about a week with the release and listening to it 3 times. I had not heard the singles.

- my first listen was underwhelming. I guess I wasn't really in the mood for it
- I enjoy it musically, but lyrically the album can get a little annoying here and there (300 times 'searchlight looking for the watcher in the sky' being the main culprit)
- That song is annoying and I don't like it
- Kaisarion was an easy favourite the first listen
- I like Spillways as well
- I don't get that Sunshine and Hunter's Moon were apparently the singles. Well, maybe I do, but they're among the less interesting tracks here
- Twenties is amazing, what an awesome track
- The Darkness .... is like a mediocre version of He Is so far. Maybe it'll grow on me later
- I think the modulatioon at the end of Griftwood (another cool track!) is really well done
- There's something about their album closers (every one so far apart from Absolution) that doesn't really work for me
- It's very much Ghost, but still stands out among their catalogue
- I like it.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1041 on: March 31, 2022, 05:37:33 AM »
- There's something about their album closers (every one so far apart from Absolution) that doesn't really work for me

....which isn't a closer, since it's followed up by Deus in Absentia  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1042 on: March 31, 2022, 07:39:50 AM »
Shit, I thought I had that wrong.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #1043 on: March 31, 2022, 08:38:16 AM »
I especially love Life Eternal as a closer but also dig Deus Absentia and ROTS as well.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1044 on: March 31, 2022, 08:45:08 AM »
Life Eternal is also my favorite, followed by Monstrance Clock.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online MirrorMask

Re:
« Reply #1045 on: April 01, 2022, 05:58:07 AM »
Life Eternal and Deus in Absentia are very good at closing off their respective album and their themes.

An album about death and the plague ends with a melanchonic ballad about mourning eternal loss, and an album about the rise of the antichrist paints a very bleak vision of the future. Spitalfields has really grown a lot on me, and although the lyrics are on point, it doesn't give me the "whoah, it's really the end, another empire has fallen" vibe. But the reprise of Imperium at the end is cool and does an Octavariumish "full circle" thing where it brings you back to the first line of Kaisarion, "we're building our empire from the ashes of the old".

And of course the chorus is very great: "We will break away together, I'll be shadow, you'll be the light... nothing ever lasts forever, we will go softly into the night"  :hefdaddy

And since we're talking about closers, Monster Clock is awesome as well!

I have a hard way to describe Infestissumam, but it's, dunno.... theatrical? cinematic? the first album was "just" retro doom metal, but the second one is more atmospheric, embellished with specific sounds and moods that really elevate many of the songs - the spooky waltz of Secular Haze, the retro style of Jigolo Har Megiddo, the atmosphere of the beginning of Zombie Queen, and of course Monstrance Clock is no exception. It's an album I could imagine being performed in a lavish theater, I know it's not everyone's favorite but I always found it very cool.

Actually it took me forever to get used to Meliora, that I basically bailed out during Papa III's era, I wish I was there for that. Only Prequelle "brought me back" and made me realize what I missed (I have seen Ghost opening for Maiden in 2013 when there was Papa II, and then I saw them open for Metallica with Cardinal Copia. Sad I missed Papa III!)

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1046 on: April 01, 2022, 06:05:17 AM »
I have a hard way to describe Infestissumam, but it's, dunno.... theatrical? cinematic? the first album was "just" retro doom metal, but the second one is more atmospheric, embellished with specific sounds and moods that really elevate many of the songs - the spooky waltz of Secular Haze, the retro style of Jigolo Har Megiddo, the atmosphere of the beginning of Zombie Queen, and of course Monstrance Clock is no exception. It's an album I could imagine being performed in a lavish theater, I know it's not everyone's favorite but I always found it very cool.

It's my favourite Ghost album, still to this day. I know I'm in the minority though, lots of people don't seem to rank it that high. But songs like Secular Haze, Zombie Queen, Year Zero, and Body And Blood, makes it such a great one. It was also the album where my interest in them got started, so that could factor in as well.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1047 on: April 02, 2022, 06:38:11 AM »
And for the 6346th episode of "why the phuck not" of Ghost, here's a 30 minutes mockumentary that explains the history of the band  :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9niLIO6X-MM&ab_channel=Ghost

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1048 on: April 03, 2022, 11:53:08 AM »
Such a hilarious video. The joke's on me, I turned it on thinking it will be a serious documentary.  :lol

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1049 on: April 03, 2022, 12:14:25 PM »
The best thing is that this is labeled as "part 2", but there is no part 1   :rollin