Author Topic: Fire Burns Down My Favorite Walking Trail.  (Read 1722 times)

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
Fire Burns Down My Favorite Walking Trail.
« on: April 10, 2012, 05:25:18 AM »
Last night I stood outside my house looking down the street at smoke billowing from a brush fire that started at my local walking trail. I have hung out in these woods long before the trail existed and have loved walking there with my family and by myself as an adult. This really bums me out.
Pictures I have taken there...

Pictures from last night...

and the one that really bothers me...

:sad:
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Fire Burns Down My Favorite Walking Trail.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 08:51:06 AM »
I can relate.  My favorite camping spot in the Sierra's had a fire roll through it about ten years ago.  It is just now getting back to its beautiful self.

That last pic is just awesome looking though.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 08:56:54 AM »
That's a bummer. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 09:57:21 AM »
Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago, but luckily the fire burned out pretty quick and it was able to be contained.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 10:06:45 AM »
Dang! That was a pretty large fire. Has it been established how it started? Bummer that your favorite walk has been taken a way for a bit, but perhaps it will spring back to life bigger, better and more beautiful.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 10:07:09 AM »
Okay.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Tripp

• "Just because I OD'ed doesn't mean I do drugs"
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 10:09:22 AM »
It's just lens flare.
hi

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 10:18:52 AM »
That sucks... but how does a fire in the woods prevent you from walking through the woods once it's out? Is that bridge the only access?

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 10:29:31 AM »
I'm pretty sure it's more to do with the fire ruining the natural beauty on the trail than anything.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 10:32:11 AM »
I'm pretty sure it's more to do with the fire ruining the natural beauty on the trail than anything.

Yeah, but that will grow back in a year or two, especially after a fire. Burnt forrest is one of the best vegitation sources for new plant life.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 10:47:11 AM »
:lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 11:19:59 AM »

Yeah, but that will grow back in a year or two, especially after a fire. Burnt forrest is one of the best vegitation sources for new plant life.
Underbrush will, but the trees are a different matter.

On the bright side, there's beauty to be found all over the place; including burned forests. 
https://englishrussia.com/2010/09/09/the-dead-forest-after-the-fire/
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 12:22:10 PM »
I do a lot of hiking and encounter burned out stuff quite frequently.   It sucks when things burn because some dickhead threw a lit cigarette out the car window or because some drunk asshole doesn't put out their campfire the right way, but when it's by nature's hand, it is what it is.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 12:28:31 PM »
I do a lot of hiking and encounter burned out stuff quite frequently.   It sucks when things burn because some dickhead threw a lit cigarette out the car window or because some drunk asshole doesn't put out their campfire the right way, but when it's by nature's hand, it is what it is.

Same here.

But part of the problem out here is that the environmental pendulum has swung way too far in terms of protectionism to the point that controlled burns and other means of controlling vegetation aren't done.  So basically, the state of CA is a huge tinderbox, and whenever fires start, they can get WAY out of control very quickly.  It's sad that we do not seem to recognize out here that some controlled destruction is more beneficial for long-term preservation than just letting things go wild.  I mean, don't get me wrong--nature in its most natural state is amazing.  But since we live in a society where people love to flock to the outdoors, and since we are sometimes careless when we are there (some more than others, obviously), that is not a good mix with keeping things completely in their untouched, natural state.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 01:07:46 PM »
That sucks... but how does a fire in the woods prevent you from walking through the woods once it's out? Is that bridge the only access?
Yes. Its a connecting bridge that takes you a quarter mile over the marsh. Without it, there is no trail to walk.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2012, 01:10:16 PM »

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2012, 01:32:54 PM »

Same here.

But part of the problem out here is that the environmental pendulum has swung way too far in terms of protectionism to the point that controlled burns and other means of controlling vegetation aren't done.  So basically, the state of CA is a huge tinderbox, and whenever fires start, they can get WAY out of control very quickly.  It's sad that we do not seem to recognize out here that some controlled destruction is more beneficial for long-term preservation than just letting things go wild.  I mean, don't get me wrong--nature in its most natural state is amazing.  But since we live in a society where people love to flock to the outdoors, and since we are sometimes careless when we are there (some more than others, obviously), that is not a good mix with keeping things completely in their untouched, natural state.

No argument from me on that.  I used to live there.    Pretty close to Yosemite.  Like anything else in life, environmental protection can be taken to extremes.  I have, however, seen plenty of so-called "prescribed burns" end up destroying a lot of property.    So it can cut both ways.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 01:37:33 PM »

This is a very serious problem that most people don't know about. Controlled burns can be super beneficial for the ecology.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2012, 02:00:37 PM »
It's just lens flare.
These are necessary? Seriously.

No, but come on--you have to admit, it was funny.

No argument from me on that.  I used to live there.    Pretty close to Yosemite.  Like anything else in life, environmental protection can be taken to extremes.  I have, however, seen plenty of so-called "prescribed burns" end up destroying a lot of property.    So it can cut both ways.

Yeah, I'm sure there are problems on that side of it too.  :(
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2012, 02:05:48 PM »
It's just lens flare.
These are necessary? Seriously.

No, but come on--you have to admit, it was funny.

It did have some humor to it. Lateralus88 on the other hand loves to troll in any thread I start. Its tiresome. I don't bother with him so I don't understand why he has to do it.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2012, 03:11:59 PM »
Lateralus88 on the other hand loves to troll in any thread I start. Its tiresome. I don't bother with him so I don't understand why he has to do it.
::)
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2012, 03:26:42 PM »
Lat, knock it off.  I've noticed the same thing.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2012, 04:52:37 PM »
That's sad. Fires have burned through two hiking areas I liked in CA, so I know how it feels.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!