Author Topic: Another Obama "scandal"  (Read 2260 times)

Offline Scheavo

Another Obama "scandal"
« on: April 09, 2012, 06:59:01 PM »
*sigh*

I'm not sure why I should expect anything better out of the conservative media, but this one is really just pathetic. I think the bottom of the barrel has been scraped through at this point.

https://freebeacon.com/minority-report/

A photo of Obama’s “army” originally posted on the campaign’s Tumblr site and run in conjunction with a BuzzFeed story  on the Obama campaign reveals a stunning lack of diversity among the president’s Chicago staff.

I mean, what are we really supposed to believe, that Obama hates everyone but white people?

I'm gonna take a huge blind stab in the dark here, and guess that political campaigns often hire political science majors / grad students to do a bunch of intern/crap jobs. Now, considering that requires a college education, we should expect less minorities from the get go due to unfair socio-economic conditions - and then we have to ask how often minorities major in political science.

Offline senecadawg2

Re: Another Obama "scandal"
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 09:57:18 PM »
You lost me at "scandal". I've been trying to keep away from the garbage the 'news' spews out. It's very disheartening.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 02:02:46 AM »
I probably wouldn't pay any attention to it, if it didn't seem to effect so many people, and in the end, my government.

This one is so crazy, I'm almost starting to think it's satire, or something. I mean, do people take this seriously?

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 08:39:30 AM »
I probably wouldn't pay any attention to it, if it didn't seem to effect so many people, and in the end, my government.

This one is so crazy, I'm almost starting to think it's satire, or something. I mean, do people take this seriously?

People who don't like Obama do....

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 08:53:37 AM »
But I bet not even bosk would take this seriously.

Offline Rathma

• oh no she didnt
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 09:03:05 AM »
We knew it all along, Obama hates blacks, Latinos and Asians.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 09:18:13 AM »

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 01:14:47 PM »
Which is why he only hires white people!

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 02:35:18 PM »
Glad I'd never heard of this "Free Beacon" before, hoping this is as obscure to others as it was to me.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 01:30:14 PM »
Apparently "free beacon" is a site exclusively for shallow political coverage.

https://freebeacon.com/hostile-workplace/

Female employees in the Obama White House make considerably less than their male colleagues, records show.

According to the 2011 annual report on White House staff, female employees earned a median annual salary of $60,000, which was about 18 percent less than the median salary for male employees ($71,000).

That's nice... but you didn't actually look at what jobs those female staffers are doing, compared to their male counterparts. It could be sexist that there are more males in higher paying positions, or it could be just be who Obama trusts, or it could be due to the male character (males being more competitive) - but it certainly doesn't show pay discrimination.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 01:36:40 PM »
I can't imagine a conservative president would be such a shining beacon (heh) of feminism and equal opportunity.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline j

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 01:41:22 PM »
It could be sexist that there are more males in higher paying positions, or it could be just be who Obama trusts, or it could be due to the male character (males being more competitive) - but it certainly doesn't show pay discrimination.

I find that this usually tends to be the case when it's claimed that women aren't equally compensated for performing the same work as men: it's almost never actually *the same* work.  And even if it is, men aren't equally compensated amongst each other either!

Not that discrimination against women in the workplace doesn't exist--it absolutely does, and is prevalent--just that most of the "data" I've seen that is supposed to demonstrate pay disparity leaves a lot to be desired.

-J

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 01:53:47 PM »
Ya, I don't think a lot of people properly analyze the situation, and wonder why there can be disparity. If there's a difference, it's immediately attributed to sexism, and not other social norms and behaviors which can justifiably lead to men, on average, making more money than women.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 04:58:46 PM »
Speaking of scandals, why does anybody really care about the secret service engaging in legal activities during their downtime?  I'd say that they exercised some piss-poor judgement, and the guy who started the ruckus over $47 is probably too stupid to be working that gig,  but the fallout over this deal is really pretty overblown.  Just another rather benign incident that has to be exploited to the utmost for political gain.  This country is really a pretty stupid place right now.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 05:01:45 PM »
Speaking of scandals, why does anybody really care about the secret service engaging in legal activities during their downtime?  I'd say that they exercised some piss-poor judgement, and the guy who started the ruckus over $47 is probably too stupid to be working that gig,  but the fallout over this deal is really pretty overblown.  Just another rather benign incident that has to be exploited to the utmost for political gain.  This country is really a pretty stupid place right now.

Frim what I have heard from some sources, that is textbook what the SS is not supposed to do.  It can compromise the integrity of an agent, like if he were married and this could be used as blackmail.  I can certainly understand why this is a big deal.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 05:13:06 PM by eric42434224 »
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2012, 05:21:53 PM »

What sickened me, is that every right wing article about it started off with a picture of Obama. As if he could have anything to do with it.

Personally, I thought it was a stupid story... until I learned there was an itinerary of Obama'a schedule lying around, and bragging about being secret service. It still doesn't deserve national attention, but those guys deserve to be fired, most likely.

:lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2012, 05:30:52 PM »
They might well deserve to be fired, but national scandal?  Blaming Obama?  Overshadowing whatever the purpose of the trip was?

And I'm aware of the potential security issues, but this might actually be a different matter since there were many involved.  One guy demonstrating naughty behavior is susceptible to corruption.  Many, less so.  This seemed like more of a party than anything else.  They had to go out and gather bar girls, as opposed to one trying to get ahold of a security detail agent. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2012, 06:10:43 PM »

One guy demonstrating naughty behavior is susceptible to corruption.  Many, less so.  This seemed like more of a party than anything else.  They had to go out and gather bar girls, as opposed to one trying to get ahold of a security detail agent. 

Eh, incompetence seems more the issue to me, not corruption. And that being done by many is far more concerning than it being done by one. I'd say they're most likely doing an incredibly good job, given today's environment, but maybe they're getting too comfortable?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2012, 06:31:19 PM »

One guy demonstrating naughty behavior is susceptible to corruption.  Many, less so.  This seemed like more of a party than anything else.  They had to go out and gather bar girls, as opposed to one trying to get ahold of a security detail agent. 

Eh, incompetence seems more the issue to me, not corruption. And that being done by many is far more concerning than it being done by one.
Oh, I agree completely.  I was just addressing the security implications which I think were probably less of a concern than people might make them out to be.

As for complacency,  the occasional kick in the ass is a very good thing, and this will likely qualify.  I can't think of a serious security breech since Reagan assisted in Jodi Foster's seduction.  And I'd agree that they're doing a pretty good job, considering the hatred Bush and Obama have directed at them. 
E.F. Benson