Author Topic: Soen (new album Memorial is out)  (Read 19038 times)

Offline krands85

Re: Soen (new album Imperial is out)
« Reply #140 on: February 14, 2021, 02:50:56 PM »
I think the new album is pretty good but nowhere near as good as the previous one. The riffs and melodies on Lotus were much more memorable.
Agreed. There are a few songs which I don't really like the ending of which is a bit off-putting too, but I still really like the album.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #141 on: February 15, 2021, 01:06:25 PM »
Amazing, to me the vocals and the drumming are what make this band special  :lol

Yeah same here.

The album is growing on me. Still not as good as Lotus but very good.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 01:31:38 PM by NoseofNicko »

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #142 on: February 26, 2021, 02:03:20 PM »

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #143 on: February 26, 2021, 02:05:38 PM »
Amazing, to me the vocals and the drumming are what make this band special  :lol

Yeah same here.

The album is growing on me. Still not as good as Lotus but very good.

I think at least a few of these tracks were leftovers from the Lotus sessions because the album kind of has a similar vibe to Lotus.  A agree that Lotus is a stronger album but I really like this new one quite a bit. 

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #144 on: March 01, 2021, 02:07:53 PM »
The title track to the album Lotus is a beautiful song with a strong guitar solo.  Also, the video for the song is a trip.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline pfillion

« Reply #145 on: March 27, 2021, 10:37:31 AM »
Illusion cover by Fleesh

https://youtu.be/vbwnt3R9P10

Offline nick_z

« Reply #146 on: July 23, 2021, 04:02:31 PM »
Digital release of one the songs from "The Undiscovered Lotus", Soen's special for Record Store Day:

Soen - EMDR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhs5NuL_mHM

Pretty good song. Starts very Tool-like (more so than the songs that ended on the album proper, I think), and then it develops into something different, with a beautiful melodic climax.

Listening to this reminds me that, as much as I really enjoy Imperial, I prefer the production on Lotus...

Wonder what the other songs are like on this.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #147 on: August 18, 2021, 07:18:33 PM »
So, listening to Imperial and still enjoying it very much. Might not be the "deepest" album this year, but it certainly ranks pretty high in terms of number of plays.

Lotus is still my favorite, as it hits that right spot between song-centric catchiness and their (slightly) more complex earlier sound. Plus it's by far their best sounding album. But Imperial is just fantastic to listen to, great songs and melodies (it's one perfect chorus after another  :))

However - I'm wondering where they go from here, as it's pretty obvious they are starting to get a bit stuck with a formula. Even within Imperial, the more uptempo songs kind of all start the same way, with very similar guitar riff/drum patterns. Heck, Deceiver and Dissident (my favorite, btw)...how close are those opening riffs? Or Lumerian vs. Opponent (Lotus' opener)...

Anyway, again, excellent album. Let's just hope they shake things up a little.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: January 21, 2022, 07:49:36 AM »
Hello fans, it pains us to say that we've had to postpone the upcoming European tour. It's always so hard to write these posts - we hate being the bearers of bad news, but of course this is still out of our control and our only option is patience.
We're eager to see you guys, so hold on to those tickets! We feel optimistic that we won't have to wait much longer and we look forward to many memorable nights. New dates will be announced very soon.
If you'd like to support us during this time, you can purchase our new single "Igniter" or any merch from our shop: soenmusic.com/shop
Hang in there and see you soon 🖤
Martin, Joel, Lars, Cody, Oleksii

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #149 on: January 24, 2022, 11:01:07 PM »
Kind of missed the lead here. There is an unreleased song out that they are selling for a way to make some cash while not being able to tour. It's a little pricey, but they are worth it. Just bought the track and it's a winner.

Swedish progressive outfit Soen have released the song "Igniter" exclusively as download via this link. The song was mixed by David Castillo, mastered by Tony Lindgren, and the cover design is by Enrique Zabala. A teaser is streaming below.

Soen commented:"As most of you know, we have been forced to move our touring schedule time and time again the last two years. This new reality has hit us and our families very hard economically. Now that we are facing yet an uncertain spring we’re reaching out to you to make it through these stressful times. What kind of value do we give music? This time you are more than welcome to set the price yourself. Go to https://soenmusic.com/products/igniter-exclusive-download/ and purchase our song 'Igniter' and donate what you feel reasonable. 'Igniter' was recorded and mixed by David Castillo in early 2020, just before the Imperial sessions. All profit goes directly to the band. Enjoy and stay safe!
Martin, Joel, Lars, Cody & Oleksii"

https://soenmusic.com/products/igniter-exclusive-download/
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #150 on: February 19, 2022, 02:57:42 PM »
Anyone checked out their live from Atlantis gramomofon studios? It's available until Monday. Just bought it and it sounds great, strings and choir are great additions :tup
https://www.momenthouse.com/soen
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #151 on: August 11, 2022, 08:16:21 PM »
Well, crap. Soen is actually touring the US. I'm really hoping to be able to make the Chicago date.

beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: August 30, 2022, 06:52:56 AM »
SOEN Announce Release of Concert Film "Atlantis", Watch Video for First Single "Trials"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8vJRisFgIw

:metal

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #153 on: August 30, 2022, 06:56:33 AM »
Well, crap. Soen is actually touring the US. I'm really hoping to be able to make the Chicago date.

Missed this! hoping to make the NYC show. Nov 30 will be tough but will try to make it
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #154 on: August 30, 2022, 07:45:54 AM »
SOEN Announce Release of Concert Film "Atlantis", Watch Video for First Single "Trials"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8vJRisFgIw

DVD? Really, DVD? Well, I am hoping the video is available as a digital download in HD. I have no interest in watching this is SD resolution.

Offline majo

« Reply #155 on: December 04, 2022, 03:19:15 PM »
Atlantis - what a brilliant and beautiful album/revision. Amazing usage of the piano/organ and strings throughout the whole record  :tup
Life's too short to remove USB safely.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #156 on: December 04, 2022, 03:51:56 PM »
Atlantis - what a brilliant and beautiful album/revision. Amazing usage of the piano/organ and strings throughout the whole record  :tup

Yes, agree. Been listening to this non-stop the last few days. Actually brings new life to some of their material and the use of the female back-up vocals/harmonies is also great. Also love the cover of Snuff, one of my fav Slipknot songs.

Offline emtee

« Reply #157 on: December 05, 2022, 02:03:32 PM »
Just got through it on the headphones. Beautiful and moving with flawless sound perfection.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #158 on: December 05, 2022, 06:52:59 PM »
Finally got my copy and absolutely love it. For some reason, I had no idea this was kinda like Katatonia's Sanctitude where they re-imagine their own songs in a mellow way. Either way, no complaints. Still pissed covid kept me from the show in Chicago.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: February 12, 2023, 03:34:26 AM »
Just getting towards the end of Atlantis, never heard it before. Is all Soen's music like this? It's lovely. Beautiful melodies.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: February 12, 2023, 04:06:30 AM »
Is all Soen's music like this?

The actual studio albums are a bit heavier and have less orchestraion. That being said, I'm enchanted by Atlantis. The new arrangements of songs are incredible.

Also see my signature :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: February 12, 2023, 07:58:01 PM »
Hang on... is Atlantis a live album?!
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: February 12, 2023, 09:10:53 PM »
Well, I'd call it a live studio album maybe. :lol I hesitate to call it a studio album as there's only one new song (and a cover), the rest of the material comes from the albums before it.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #163 on: February 15, 2023, 05:21:50 PM »
It’s a different take on their songs.  I enjoy it, but I hope they do a live album sometime - they freaking slayed when I saw them in Baltimore.

Offline pfillion

« Reply #164 on: May 26, 2023, 07:54:25 PM »

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #165 on: May 26, 2023, 09:14:36 PM »
I'm ready  :corn that doesn't sound bad at all
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Blind_FaithX

• I love music
« Reply #166 on: May 26, 2023, 09:36:59 PM »
 :tup

Date for the upcoming new album has been announced?
Funny how everything was Roses
When we held on to the Guns
Just because you're winnin'
Don't mean you're the lucky one

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: May 27, 2023, 03:58:25 AM »

I like it!

Offline pfillion

« Reply #168 on: May 30, 2023, 08:27:47 AM »

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: May 30, 2023, 10:12:51 AM »
Memorial will be released on September 1st 2023, via Silver Lining Music. Available as a Deluxe CD, 12” Vinyl Album in Black and colour variants, digital formats and special D2C products and bundles. For pre-orders, go to: https://smarturl.it/SoenMemorial

MEMORIAL Track Listing:
1. Sincere
2. Unbreakable
3. Violence
4. Fortress
5. Hollowed
6. Memorial
7. Incendiary
8. Tragedian
9. Icon
10. Vitals

Soen have announced the release of their new album Memorial, which will be coming out September 1st via Silver Lining Music. The band have also released the hard-hitting first single ‘Unbreakable’.

The new single is a statement of intent of what’s to come from the forthcoming album and sees the band take a much heavier approach but still retain their melodic sensibilities.

Founding member and drummer Martin Lopez comments, “‘Unbreakable’ is a song about how you limit yourself as a human, by blindly believing in something.” Vocalist and co-founding member Joel Ekelöf continues, “Politicians and the media paint everything as black or white, entitling you to try to destroy your opponent instead of trying to find common ground. It’s key to be humble and open to different viewpoints to keep growing, ‘Unbreakable’ feels like a marriage between classic-metal and Soen.”

The new album has a potent drive and sees the band channel the ills of current society with a crisp, riff heavy ferocity but at the same time still showcasing Soen’s unique blend of progression, aggression, and beauty.

Memorial is drenched in melody with face-crushing guitars and rhythms from start to finish. Album opener ‘Sincere’ starts off with relentless propulsion, whilst the sheer power of the title track is enriched with a solid groove, underlying the weighty tones and evocative vocals of Joel Ekelöf.

Finishing with the beautiful, tragic, Pink Floyd-esque ballad ‘Vitals’, Memorial is arguably the band finding their best stride yet. Soen have been building up to this moment for years and now they’re here with Memorial, which is an inspiring modern hard rock classic.

Soen are completed by Lars Enok Åhlund (Keyboards and Guitar), Oleksii ‘Zlatoyar’ Kobel (Bass) and Cody Ford (Lead Guitar) and are set to play at this year’s Download Festival (GB) on Sunday 11th June, before embarking on the Memorial 2023 tour in Europe this September, with the newly added show at the Locomotiv in Bologna (IT). 

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: May 30, 2023, 10:56:29 AM »
I liked the song! The beginning/first verse wasn't too exciting but the chorus is fairly good and the quiet section after was also appealing.

That being said, while I'm pretty sure the album will be good, I'm glad I'm apparently getting the semi-acoustic Atlantis show in the very beginning of September before the band embarks on the Memorial tour.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #171 on: May 30, 2023, 11:12:33 AM »
Only one listen in, I have to say the song sounds fine but I’m not overly impressed.

I LOVED Imperial, but at the time I had also expressed some worry that the songwriting was starting to feel a bit stale. The songs were so strong on it that it didn’t quite matter, but my fear was that, going forward, that tendency of rehashing existing ideas/structures could start to hurt them…

The start of the song didn’t quite dispel that worry ;) that kind of riff/drum pattern is now starting to show up a little too often…the chorus is very melodic and along the lines of the more accessible tunes on Imperial…maybe a touch more “radio friendly” (not saying it as a bad thing!)

Anyway, certainly looking forward to hearing more of this…just hoping for some more twists to the formula…

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: May 30, 2023, 11:15:55 AM »
The start of the song didn’t quite dispel that worry ;) that kind of riff/drum pattern is now starting to show up a little too often…

Agreed, that's kinda what I meant by "not too exciting".

just hoping for some more twists to the formula…

Definitely agree with this too.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #173 on: May 30, 2023, 12:08:52 PM »
I liked, but didn't love, the new single.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.