Author Topic: Soen (new album Memorial is out)  (Read 19219 times)

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Re: Soen (Martin Lopez/Steve DiGiorgio)
« Reply #105 on: January 28, 2021, 09:41:17 AM »
I thought Martin Lopez said he quit Opeth because he was having panic debilitating attacks and stage fright?  I guess he got his shit together?  Or was that a bullshit excuse to quit Opeth?

He did. He did seek help, but decided to leave Opeth anyway after getting help. Probably didn't want to tour so much as Opeth does tour a ton. He decided to form Soen and focus on that. They don't tour very much from what I can tell, at least not to the extent of Opeth. Honestly, I'm glad he did. At this point, a Soen album gets me more excited than a new Opeth album. I love Lopez' playing and I love this band.

Found this quote from Mikael about it:

"[Martin] basically suffered panic attacks and anxiety attacks and severe depression from working too hard and touring so much. It got to the point where he called me up the day before the first scheduled Jordan gig saying that he couldn't go and he was just a wreck. So we took some rest before this gig and then the same thing happened when we went to Frankfurt where we had a connecting flight to Canada and he said he couldn't go, he had to go home and we had to support him with that.

He went to a psychologist and they did tests on him and it's actually some stuff in his blood that makes his heart beat faster and that's the reason why he's been depressed. Now he's getting medication and I think the biggest breakthrough for him was knowing what it was because he was literally going insane."

beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #106 on: January 28, 2021, 10:13:30 AM »
I have a chat with Martin Lopez tomorrow. What would you guys like me to ask him?

I like the new album, but it's like they redid the previous one all over again.

Ask him if the band plans to tour North America if/when touring continues.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #107 on: January 29, 2021, 03:04:35 AM »
Ok Lumerian is a really strong start to the new album.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #108 on: January 29, 2021, 03:10:02 AM »
I'm leaving my house for the gym shortly and will be giving this new album my first spin  :hat

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #109 on: January 29, 2021, 02:05:10 PM »
Had a good chat with Martin Lopez today. And he remembered me from the first interview we did back in 2018!!! "Hey, you're that Brazilian guy from Canada! We had a good chat a while ago! I do so many of those interviews, and it's nice to remember the good ones". That was surreal.

The new album is KILLER. Same album as before, but KILLER.

Offline pfillion

« Reply #110 on: January 29, 2021, 02:11:55 PM »
Nice ;)

Yes it's a great album \m/

Online The Realm

« Reply #111 on: January 29, 2021, 05:18:07 PM »
Really enjoying this album. Soen are definitely a band that are continuing to define and progress their sound and the song writing and musicianship on this new one are top notch.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #112 on: January 31, 2021, 03:40:51 AM »
On my first listen and man this album is fantastic. Might be as good or even better than Lotus. This band are firing on all cylinders right now.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #113 on: January 31, 2021, 01:21:51 PM »
They did everything they did on Lykaia and Lotus but they keep improving their sound.
Great album but a little short at just over 40 minutes.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #114 on: January 31, 2021, 02:41:02 PM »
Loving the album! It seems they worked alot on the choruses, some killer ones on this album.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #115 on: February 02, 2021, 09:45:26 AM »
Enjoying this very much.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #116 on: February 02, 2021, 09:50:56 AM »
Gah, still haven't listened yet. Have my CD but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

On a side note, the thread title drives me nuts. Steve was only on the first album. Just a pet peeve of mine.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 10:33:24 AM by ProfessorPeart »
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Soen (new album Imperial is out)
« Reply #117 on: February 02, 2021, 10:23:42 AM »
On a side note, the thread title drives nuts. Steve was only on the first album. Just a pet peeve of mine.
Updated. :P

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #118 on: February 02, 2021, 10:33:13 AM »
On a side note, the thread title drives me nuts. Steve was only on the first album. Just a pet peeve of mine.
Updated. :P

My hero!

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: February 02, 2021, 11:05:21 AM »
This will definitely be in regular rotation for a while.  Another solid release. 

Is it just my new earbuds or is this album mastered a bit louder than Lotus?

I'm not complaining, mind you.  It's not brickwalled by any stretch, it just seems a bit louder overall. 

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #120 on: February 02, 2021, 12:06:22 PM »
I dug the music. Still believe the vocalist is the weakest link in the band. Vocals get pretty stale and unexciting as the album progresses.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: February 02, 2021, 12:11:23 PM »
Amazing, to me the vocals and the drumming are what make this band special  :lol

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #122 on: February 02, 2021, 02:03:34 PM »
Still believe the vocalist is the weakest link in the band. Vocals get pretty stale and unexciting as the album progresses.

I agree, I have a real hard time with all of this band's songs blending together in my head and I think this is one of the main reasons why. Album structure is another big one, in that it feels to me like there isn't any at all.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #123 on: February 02, 2021, 04:14:34 PM »
The vocals are massively great, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 11:57:10 PM by DoctorAction »

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #124 on: February 03, 2021, 07:46:08 AM »
 What?!?!?! One of the best things about this band is the vocals!!! Joel's delivery is amazing...so melodic and powerful!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #125 on: February 03, 2021, 07:56:39 AM »
I can understand that someone who isn't a huge fan of his vocal style could find it lacking in variety. I love his voice though, never gets old to me at all.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: February 03, 2021, 10:34:16 AM »
I can definitely see, though, how his style could be a bit of an acquired taste.  He makes some very unusual melodic choices often choosing a very minor-key, almost in straight up Locrian mode in some places, and when it happens over a more Dorian-oriented riff it's a little bit angular sounding, almost "flat" sounding sometimes.  I don't know if it's intentional or not.

Also, I love, love, love how the vocals are mixed here.  It's only a single voice but he sounds fucking massive and insanely powerful  :eek

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #127 on: February 03, 2021, 10:54:34 AM »
The song and video for the Antagonist is really good.

As far as the albums go, I really like Lykaia.  Of course I am new to Soen, so I need to listen to all of the albums again.

Update:  Just listened to Tellurian and loving this album.  Lopez is so great on the drums.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 03:06:49 PM by mike099 »
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #128 on: February 03, 2021, 12:05:34 PM »
I can definitely see, though, how his style could be a bit of an acquired taste.  He makes some very unusual melodic choices often choosing a very minor-key, almost in straight up Locrian mode in some places, and when it happens over a more Dorian-oriented riff it's a little bit angular sounding, almost "flat" sounding sometimes.  I don't know if it's intentional or not.

Also, I love, love, love how the vocals are mixed here.  It's only a single voice but he sounds fucking massive and insanely powerful  :eek

The vocals are much more in the forefront that on Lotus, or at least that's my impression.

I'm curious about the unusual melodic choices...can you point me examples of when that happens on their songs?

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: February 03, 2021, 12:25:11 PM »
It's pretty much everywhere.  How he chooses his notes in the vocal melodies.  His choices are unexpected and unique.  I'm way too fucking lazy to go find examples, sorry

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #130 on: February 03, 2021, 04:15:29 PM »

It absolutely is. Just started listening to it and I had to adjust my volume settings down on my PC. Looked at the WAV forms and it is LOUD. Probably the loudest of any of their albums. Not surprised as they had Kane Churko master it. Everything from him and his Dad are loud.

Anyway, Lopez is already killing it 2 tracks in. Man, I just love his playing. These first 2 songs are setting a high bar.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #131 on: February 03, 2021, 04:49:35 PM »
i will come in and echo buddy's sentiments with the caveat that i didn't even make it halfway through the album before switching to something else out of boredom but i mean. it's fine enough. y'all are allowed to enjoy it i guess

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: February 04, 2021, 02:24:50 PM »

It absolutely is. Just started listening to it and I had to adjust my volume settings down on my PC. Looked at the WAV forms and it is LOUD. Probably the loudest of any of their albums. Not surprised as they had Kane Churko master it. Everything from him and his Dad are loud.

Anyway, Lopez is already killing it 2 tracks in. Man, I just love his playing. These first 2 songs are setting a high bar.

Same.  To me, Lopez is one of the main attractions of this group. 

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #133 on: February 05, 2021, 12:39:56 AM »
He's terrific.

Another thing I've been very impressed with on this album is the guitar solos. Really, really good. Varied in style, intense and tasteful.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #134 on: February 05, 2021, 03:09:40 PM »
Just listened to Lykaia after revisiting Lotus, and listening to the new album this week.

Verdict? Lykaia is easily their best album!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #135 on: February 06, 2021, 05:19:54 AM »
4:34 Dissident  :metal
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline JLa

« Reply #136 on: February 06, 2021, 05:26:04 AM »
I really like "Deceiver".

"When the heart is young and the will is strong, you expect yourself to conquer"

Haven't we all.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #137 on: February 06, 2021, 05:32:05 AM »
I really like "Deceiver".

"When the heart is young and the will is strong, you expect yourself to conquer"

Haven't we all.
One of my favourites.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #138 on: February 13, 2021, 10:19:25 PM »
I think the new album is pretty good but nowhere near as good as the previous one. The riffs and melodies on Lotus were much more memorable.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: February 14, 2021, 05:39:01 AM »
I have a feeling this album contains some leftovers from the Lotus sessions, after having listened to it about 7 or 8 times now.  I think it doesn't quite reach the highs that Lotus did, but I'd still put it somewhere in the middle of the pack overall.

I listened to the debut yesterday for the first time in a while and it's definitely a more varied album.  They seem to have settled on a formula over the last two albums.  I won't call it repetitive but they do seem to be falling into the trap of ripping themselves off.  I think every band goes through this phase.

None of it prevents me from really liking the new album a lot, though. This will be in regular rotation for a long time.