Author Topic: Soen (new album Memorial is out)  (Read 19043 times)

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Re: Soen (Martin Lopez/Steve DiGiorgio)
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2018, 11:09:38 AM »
So excited for this new album. I still haven't stopped listening to Lykaia. And yes, their sound is a great mix of Opeth, Tool and other stuff.

I initially passed on Lykaia Revisited until I found out it had an unreleased studio track on it. I ended up buying it from HD Tracks as I had a coupon and was able to get all of the available live tracks in one purchase and uncompressed. Essentially, it appears they remastered it down just enough to remove clipping. It gets as close to that brickwall as it can without touching it. I ran tracks from the original and remaster through Audacity to check for clipping. The original was chock full of it and the remaster came back with none but is teetering on the edge from what I can tell. So Revisited has now become my listening version.

Anyway, is it February yet? I really want Lotus.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2018, 11:31:20 AM »
They do Opeth better than Opeth.
That's because Martin Lopez was the heart and soul of Opeth.
I'm not disputing you, just curious what you mean. Yes he was a longtime member of Opeth and of course had influence on their music but at the end of the day, Michael is the only original member and he's pretty much written all Opeths music and lyrics since day 1.
However when it comes to his drumming in Opeth which is what you probably talking about, I can see what you mean, his certain groove and "sparse" playing was a big contribution to the layer of Opeths sound. Axenrot is really good but sometimes he overplays Lopez parts a bit I think.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2018, 11:59:35 AM »
I'm not disputing you, just curious what you mean. Yes he was a longtime member of Opeth and of course had influence on their music but at the end of the day, Michael is the only original member and he's pretty much written all Opeths music and lyrics since day 1.
However when it comes to his drumming in Opeth which is what you probably talking about, I can see what you mean, his certain groove and "sparse" playing was a big contribution to the layer of Opeths sound. Axenrot is really good but sometimes he overplays Lopez parts a bit I think.

Lopez was unique in that he incorporated a Latin Groove. Which I hear in Soen.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2018, 12:16:01 PM »

Really? Interesting, never noticed that. The only song I can think off is Last Light that have a clave part on claves and bongos but the drums are pretty straight forward though. Any other song that reflects that? I enjoy his playing alot but never noticed the latin aspect of his drumming actually.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2018, 12:35:36 PM »

Really? Interesting, never noticed that. The only song I can think off is Last Light that have a clave part on claves and bongos but the drums are pretty straight forward though. Any other song that reflects that? I enjoy his playing alot but never noticed the latin aspect of his drumming actually.

I hear it more in Opeth than Soen though. Damnation has that feel.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2018, 12:52:33 PM »
I more think of Akerfeldt being the brains of the operation by writing the music and lyrics, but Lopez brought it to life with his incredible groove and playing style.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2018, 12:57:16 PM »
I more think of Akerfeldt being the brains of the operation by writing the music and lyrics, but Lopez brought it to life with his incredible groove and playing style.
Yea I see what you mean, that's what I thought.  :tup

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2018, 07:49:15 AM »
Really diggin Rival, been playing it alot recently along with Tellurian.

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2018, 07:52:26 AM »
I'm really digging this song, I may check out this new album. I've passed on their albums because they sound too much like Tool IMO and I don't like Tool that much. But this song sounds finally different.

Offline pfillion

« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2018, 02:14:59 PM »

Offline pfillion

« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2018, 07:13:22 AM »

Offline pfillion

« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2019, 12:07:36 PM »

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2019, 07:30:07 PM »
I've been on a total blackout with the new record. I so love Lykaia that I want to go in blind. I have had the album pre-ordered for weeks now and am just impatiently waiting for it.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline pfillion

« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2019, 03:57:59 PM »

Offline JLa

« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2019, 12:06:46 AM »
I can't stop playing the three released tracks. Preordered Lotus and just can't wait! This stuff is amazing!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2019, 01:37:40 AM »
Yea can't wait either!  :tup

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2019, 10:37:44 AM »
Omg that Lotus song is soooo good. Really scratching my Pink Floyd itch too. It's like Floyd mixed with newer Katatonia. I really love it.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2019, 10:47:21 AM »
Yeah, the title track is fantastic. From these three tracks, I'm fairly sure this album is going to be one of my favourites this year.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2019, 10:39:06 AM »
Yeah, the title track is fantastic. From these three tracks, I'm fairly sure this album is going to be one of my favourites this year.

I agree! I went back and listened to the other two, and wow they are seriously good. Especially digging Martyrs, I'm not usually much of a lyrics guy but these seem quite good and fit the song really well.

I've been a fan ever since I heard Lucidity from the last album, and the production on this album really elevates their sound, imo - really suits the singer as well, sounds a bit drier? Hard to really examine from YouTube videos.

Offline robbob

« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2019, 02:50:51 PM »
Man, really loving this stuff. Always liked Lopez drumming in Opeth, so finally decided to check out Soen. Really good music, period! All 3 new songs are awesome, especially Rival.

Offline pfillion

« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2019, 08:04:21 AM »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2019, 08:51:29 AM »
some really good tracks here but overall the album isn't as diverse as their past stuff & a lot of the metal tracks feel especially samey

that's my thoughts after one listen, at least

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2019, 09:09:18 AM »
Maybe a grower, but after 1 listen definitely the worst Soen album IMO
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2019, 09:46:28 AM »
Will give a spin this weekend.  :tup

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2019, 10:05:49 AM »
I'm quite liking it, but I haven't heard enough of their other albums to compare.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline JLa

« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2019, 12:58:11 PM »
Excellent album. Covenant rocks.

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2019, 08:59:36 PM »
Really digging what I've heard. Although I'm stuck listening to Martyrs because I can't get enough of that song.

Offline pfillion

« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2019, 08:25:22 AM »

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2019, 09:13:21 AM »
Since several other individual tracks have been mentioned—how about the danceable Lascivious :heart
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2019, 04:36:32 PM »
I'm really loving this album, the other soen albums did nothing for me, specially the debut, which sound too much like tool (which I don't like). My favorite track so far is Penance, I really love the voice melodies.

Offline JLa

« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2019, 07:43:50 AM »
Think it's cool we all mention different songs as highlights. The album is sooo good.  :coolio

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2019, 08:20:48 AM »
Yet another progression for these guys. I love how every album is just a bit different then before, yet also familiar. Right now, this is no Lykaia. I really didn't expect it to be. That is a high bar, in my opinion.

Lopez's drums are standout as always. I just love his playing. I do agree that this one is a bit of a grower. Not sure why. It's a great record, but I feel I will like it even more over time, if that makes sense. I have to stop comparing it to Lykaia.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2019, 07:05:17 AM »
Gave the new album a spin after my previous experience with the last album was kinda "meh", still feeling underwhelmed. On paper a mix of Opeth, Tool and Katatonia would be something I would be excited about but there's something about the execution that just leaves me bored. Maybe with a more interesting singer the music could reach another level but the current one just has the personality of a bag of gravel for me. Will give the album a few more spins like I always do but sad to say I'm not feeling these guys that much. And that's not to say I dislike them either though. Initial impression is like a 7/10 which is still a good rating, it just doesn't feel very original and the bands they are sort of taking notes from have put out a lot better albums.

Offline pfillion

« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2019, 02:32:21 PM »
The official video for Covenant:

https://youtu.be/tV13GZznfew

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2019, 07:45:51 AM »
I seriously love this album, it should be in my top 5 of the year (maybe just behind the Neal Morse band album and Dream Theater). My favorite track is Penance.