Author Topic: Is metal by far the most misunderstood genre?  (Read 12014 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: Is metal by far the most misunderstood genre?
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2012, 08:29:29 AM »
How is not liking growls misunderstanding metal? It's just personal taste. I don't like growls, by the way.
Asking
why Akerfeldt insisted on growling, when his clean vocals sounded so nice.
is very largely misunderstanding metal.
Not really. Although Opeth is instrumentally a great band, I can't listen to much of their catalog because the vocals are so silly. I'd like to know why Akerfeldt insists on growling when his clean vocals are so nice.

Yup.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2012, 08:47:23 AM »
Although Opeth is instrumentally a great band, I can't listen to much of their catalog because the vocals are so silly. I'd like to know why Akerfeldt insists on growling when his clean vocals are so nice.

Because that is part of their sound and style.  That is like saying, "I'd like to know why Dream Theater insists on shredding when their slower playing is so nice."  Just like shredding is part of DT, growling is part of Opeth.  Deal with it, or don't listen. :biggrin:

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2012, 08:48:05 AM »
My brother asked why Akerfeldt insisted on growling, when his clean vocals sounded so nice.

For fuck's sake

Metal vocalists use harsh vocals because it doubles the percussive nature of the music being played.

Even if you hate metal vocals, this isn't that hard to understand.
Exactly. Would the outro to Blackwater Park be nearly as awesome if Akerfeldt wasn't growling his fucking throat out?

Well, probably, but Akerfeldt is a special case.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Kosmo

« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2012, 08:48:34 AM »
It's a nice way of knowing who is close minded enough to completely dismiss a genre when they say ''Metal isn't music, it's just growling'' or ''Hip Hop isn't music, it's just talking over a beat made on a computer''.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2012, 09:05:37 AM »
I'm on the other boat when it comes to rap.  It is not music.  But it is poetry with a back beat.
You are wrong.
And maybe I am but it's not organic like music should be.  I don't mind electronics used in a song but I just don't feel it.  I get it's music but not to my ears, but I wouldn't slag anybody for liking it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2012, 09:07:59 AM »
My response is often something to the effect of: 'Why do guitarists use distortion when they could play beautiful classical music on a pretty little nylon string guitar?' At some point in history, people most likely frowned upon the use of distortion, dismissing it as nothing more than noise. Some people still do this (I'm talking about YOU grandma).

The voice is like any other instrument in that it can be altered, in many different ways, to produce multiple effects and instill many different emotions.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • það besta sem guð hefur skapað er nýr dagur
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2012, 09:11:14 AM »
I think that something is what it was intended to be and not what people think it is. So if something was intended by it's creator to be music it is music.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2012, 09:13:18 AM »
I can't imagine Opeth's heavy sections without Akerfeldt's growls. It would make no sense. His growling compliments the music perfectly.

Also, I'll say what I always say in regards to growls. The voice is an instrument, and if you can handle the distortion of a guitar, you should be able to handle the distortion of a voice.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2012, 09:15:34 AM »
I can't imagine Opeth's heavy sections without Akerfeldt's growls. It would make no sense. His growling compliments the music perfectly.

Also, I'll say what I always say in regards to growls. The voice is an instrument, and if you can handle the distortion of a guitar, you should be able to handle the distortion of the voice.

And this is very true but I also don't want distortion all the time from a guitar player and in some cases, I don't like certain distortion pedals.

I like the growls from Opeth.  Other that do it full on throughout the whole song....... not so much.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2012, 09:22:01 AM »
Here's an example to back up what I'm saying.

Consider the following lyrics from Opeth's "Serenity Painted Death":

Darkness reared its head
Tearing within the reeling haze
Took control, claiming my flesh
Piercing rage, perfect tantrum
Each and every one would die at my hand
Choking in warm ponds of blood
At last, weak and torn, I went down
Drained from strength, flickering breath

Imagine Mikael Akerfedlt using his "nice singing voice" for this part. It would sound fucking ridiculous. The lyrics, the message, the music being played, all DEMAND growled vocals. If he softly crooned lyrics about murdering an entire village while guitars and drums blaze with ferocity behind him, it would sound like a weak parody. 

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2012, 09:25:32 AM »
Well yes but why do the lyrics have to be about choking, blood and horror in general? Most people don't like their music to be about that.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2012, 09:26:06 AM »
I understand that. That's not what I was addressing.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2012, 09:27:14 AM »

Darkness reared its head
Tearing within the reeling haze
Took control, claiming my flesh
Piercing rage, perfect tantrum
Each and every one would die at my hand
Choking in warm ponds of blood
At last, weak and torn, I went down
Drained from strength, flickering breath

Imagine Mikael Akerfedlt using his "nice singing voice" for this part. It would sound fucking ridiculous. The lyrics, the message, the music being played, all DEMAND growled vocals. If he softly crooned lyrics about murdering an entire village while guitars and drums blaze with ferocity behind him, it would sound like a weak parody. 

While I quite agree with your point, and agree harsh vocals should be used to express certain emotions, an entire album of this is just laughable.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2012, 09:28:42 AM »
Well yes but why do the lyrics have to be about choking, blood and horror in general? Most people don't like their music to be about that.

That's not a good argument.  You don't have to listen to it if you don't like the lyrics.  Some people want that in their music. 

But like you, I don't care for that either but it is well written and I do see Gadough's point.

Also I am with Nick.  I can't take a full album of growls.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2012, 09:31:34 AM »
I just don't like metal.
I was trying to say that most people just don't like the agression that metal brings.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2012, 09:31:44 AM »

Most people? Obviously the people who listen to it have no problem with it, so why shouldn't they be about that kind of thing if they want to?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2012, 09:31:59 AM »
While I quite agree with your point, and agree harsh vocals should be used to express certain emotions, an entire album of this is just laughable.

That's why Still Life is 50/50 :p

But yeah, I know what you mean. It CAN get monotonous. This is why I don't listen to much death metal. I enjoy bands like Nile, Suffocation, Cannibal Corpse, and Meshuggah, but in short bursts.

I'm simply arguing for the validity of the vocal style.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2012, 09:46:22 AM »
Is Cannibal Corpse a parody band?

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2012, 09:47:38 AM »
I think you have them confused with this band. ;)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2012, 10:12:08 AM »

How about 'SHEEEEEEEEEEE IS WATERDROPS OVER THE PYYYYRE'? one of his most awesome growls, imho. (end of The Moor)
Indeed, it wouldn't make any sense.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2012, 10:39:21 AM »
People listen to music for many different reasons. I do, I listen to certain bands and styles for the same reasons. Some I like the message, the music or the energy it creates. Most people do the same, and aren't music fans so won't dwell into anything further than what's on the radio. If they generalize then instead of being a Dick, you could inform them why it isn't what they see as people perceive things differently.

This is why I love music, its so broad that I'm not bound to only like one genre. Being open minded to music is what I feel people need to do.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2012, 10:47:24 AM »
Regarding Opeth, the growls add a very interesting and important element to the music, and the ability to flow between harsh vocals and clean vocals is what really sets them apart. In fact, while I normally can't get over the death metal growls of other bands (cannibal corpse, etc.), this is something I enjoy in Opeth.

This is why I love music, its so broad that I'm not bound to only like one genre. Being open minded to music is what I feel people need to do.

and that pretty much sums up everything that needs to be said on the subject.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2012, 11:58:31 AM »

Why are growls/harsh vocals inherently more 'silly' than clean singing?
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2012, 12:34:04 PM »

Yeah this. I've heard plenty of bands where the clean singing has been laughable, and an entire album of that can't be worse then an album with only growls? :P

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2012, 12:40:56 PM »
Yup. As for the OP, I wouldn't say it's by far the most misunderstood, but it's definitely up there. As others have said rap and electronic definitely get their unwarranted haters.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2012, 12:45:02 PM »
To complement that, I think every single music genre, or more general, every single thing that you can form an opinion about has its unwarranted haters.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2012, 01:50:25 PM »

Also, I'll say what I always say in regards to growls. The voice is an instrument, and if you can handle the distortion of a guitar, you should be able to handle the distortion of a voice.

Then why not distort the drums, bass and every other instrument too? Cause then it would be St Anger and no-one wants that.

I don't subscribe to the notion that growls are essential. "Proper" singing can fit over aggressive music, creating a contrast. I love the sound of a distorted guitar (when done to my taste!)- I can't listen to growling. I undestand the argument for it, I just don't agree with it.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2012, 02:04:44 PM »

It's because most people don't listen to growls often. It's something they aren't accustomed too. It's sounds out of the ordinary. So when they hear it, it can make them uncomfortable. That translates to silly.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2012, 02:11:42 PM »
I used this analogy before, but growls are like onions. I can have the finest filet mignon, but once you put onions on top of it, it's ruined.

And as far as Akerfeldt, I think even his clean vocals are terrible.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Bonham

• Either Zeppelin's drummer or "good ham"
« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2012, 02:22:54 PM »
My problem with growls isn't with the sound, or even its concept within music... it's the repetition. Whenever I try to get into Opeth, I get so incredibly bored with the lack of variety in the vocals; there may be some punctuation/emphasizing, but for the most part, the growls are all growls. I find it absolutely impossible to listen to an entire song like that.

Interestingly enough, I love Sikth because of the texture their screams add to the already present fucking insanity of the song. But with Opeth I just find myself checking the length of the song every 10 seconds.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2012, 02:59:19 PM »

Why is a whole album of harsh vocals laughable?  Just because you don't like an album full of harsh vocals, doesn't mean others don't like it.  I love an album full of them, and most of the music I listen to would make no sense to have clean vocals over them.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 03:08:49 PM by Dark Castle »

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2012, 03:07:31 PM »
Although Opeth is instrumentally a great band, I can't listen to much of their catalog because the vocals are so silly. I'd like to know why Akerfeldt insists on growling when his clean vocals are so nice.

Because that is part of their sound and style.  That is like saying, "I'd like to know why Dream Theater insists on shredding when their slower playing is so nice."  Just like shredding is part of DT, growling is part of Opeth.  Deal with it, or don't listen. :biggrin:
I understand that; I chose the second option, which is not to listen to any of their albums but Heritage. However, I also think that "DT should play just slower stuff, it's much nicer than the shredding they do so often" is a perfectly legitimate thing to say about them. Maybe you don't get shredding and you think it sounds stupid, but you still think DT is a talented group of people that you would totally listen to if they did less shredding. This is just called having an opinion about things.

But this is far and away not what I was getting at with my comment. My point was that even a person who understands metal enough to be on this board might ask "Why does Akerfeldt do so much growling?"; failing to understand metal isn't the problem. I get that Opeth has a certain style, and I hypothetically understand the appeal of screamed vocals, what with their extreme emotion. But I still think it sounds silly. I understand screaming. I just don't like it.

*snip*

I don't see why an actual melody (which would be, of course, appropriately dark for the subject matter) would weaken this piece. This is coming, of course, from someone who hasn't heard the piece in question.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 03:16:05 PM by theseoafs »

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2012, 03:34:18 PM »

It's because most people don't listen to growls often. It's something they aren't accustomed too. It's sounds out of the ordinary. So when they hear it, it can make them uncomfortable. That translates to silly.

Ween is silly. Opeth using growls on an entire album may seem unnecessary but silly is a really bad choice of words.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2012, 12:53:59 PM »
I think Jazz is the most misunderstood genre.

People assume it's all dissonant chords and tuneless twiddling that only jazz fans can appreciate.

And that it's incredibly boring to learn, play or listen to....

In reality, it's actually much worse than that.

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2012, 01:16:50 PM »

There's a huge difference between a guitar and a voice.  A guitar is synthetic, a human voice is organic.  Most people, if they saw a mechanical bird with 3 eyes, would say, "wow, that's cool", or maybe that it's weird, or useless.  But if you saw a bird in nature with a 3rd eye in the middle of it's forehead, chances are you're going to be feel disturbed, or upset, or grossed out.
It's the Internet.  Everything everybody says, no matter how factual-sounding, is opinion.