Author Topic: Is metal by far the most misunderstood genre?  (Read 12100 times)

Offline senecadawg2

Is metal by far the most misunderstood genre?
« on: April 06, 2012, 04:58:55 PM »
Yes, I know there are many sub-genres, but it seems that they are all misunderstood. I think a lot of it has to do with the harsh vocals, and the connections with satanism, but also simple close-mindedness.

Anyhow, the title pretty much sums up my question. I think an argument could possibly be made for Rap/Hip-Hop, but I don't enjoy that nearly enough to elaborate. I personally think that metal does take the prize.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 02:32:53 PM by senecadawg2 »
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Is metal by far the most misunderstood genre?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 05:05:30 PM »
I think it is by far the most misunderstood genre. I was watching Orphaned Land live, and my mom commented on horrible Kobi's growls were. She asked me how I could stand it, and I told her it was awesome, and plus the clean vocals, really adds to the music. Both my parents can't stand growls. I can totally see how someone would hate it.

Here's another take: My cousins think that metal consists of nothing but noise and screams, and some of it does, but obviously everyone here knows that's not true. This is another way metal is misunderstood.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 05:09:30 PM »
How is not liking growls misunderstanding metal? It's just personal taste. I don't like growls, by the way.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 05:09:57 PM »
I think electronic is up there in a way. Lots of people I know think it's entirely party music and movie music.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 05:10:44 PM »
How is not liking growls misunderstanding metal? It's just personal taste. I don't like growls, by the way.
Asking
why Akerfeldt insisted on growling, when his clean vocals sounded so nice.
is very largely misunderstanding metal.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 05:12:18 PM »
Yeah, my dad doesn't like growls, but he appreciates the talent of the musicians and understands that the growls fit, and my mom even likes some Black Metal like Wolves In The Throne Room, and Enslaved.
It really annoys me when people just call metal "screaming and noise" because it shows how close minded they are to even assume most even scream, when a lot do growling.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 05:15:12 PM »
What some non-metal listeners don't get is that growls actually add something to the music. Love 'em or hate 'em, they're a change in dynamic, one which makes for some interesting music.

EDIT:
It really annoys me when people just call metal "screaming and noise" because it shows how close minded they are to even assume most even scream, when a lot do growling.
And some people don't even know the difference between growls and screams...  :\
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 05:25:33 PM »
My mom hates growling for example, my dad doesn't really like it, but doesn't really hate it either. Over the last years I've played bands like Opeth, BTBAM, Periphery and Agalloch in the car, so he has sorta gotten a bit used to more harsh vocals, still he sometimes asks me what the purpose of growl is. I wouldn't say that I have any preferences when it comes to harsh/clean vocals (whatever fits really), but I do think the growl serves a purpose during heavier sections. The music gets heavier, and it's only logical that the singing gets heavier as well, in that way the cleaner parts gets more "clean" and you get more interesting variety. I think that the extreme heaviness of BTBAM for example would sound pretty lame if Tommy had been doing all clean vocals over it, the harsh vocals add to the heaviness.

And yes, there are people who say stupid things like "this isn't real singing" and "whats the point with this music?" but honestly I don't care what others think about what I like, screw them.  :lol

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 05:31:29 PM »
A very common response is, "this isn't even music'. This really frustrates me.

WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU TO SAY WHAT IS AND ISN'T MUSIC!!!!  >:(

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 05:32:30 PM »
Asking
why Akerfeldt insisted on growling, when his clean vocals sounded so nice.
is very largely misunderstanding metal.
Not really. Although Opeth is instrumentally a great band, I can't listen to much of their catalog because the vocals are so silly. I'd like to know why Akerfeldt insists on growling when his clean vocals are so nice.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 05:35:50 PM »

I think that comment is lame, but it also comes from different people. If I listen to Metal, someone into softer music might say "that's noise, how can you listen to it?", meanwhile if I listen to Electronica, someone into Metal might ask me the same. So I don't think that part just applies to metal, but again.. people who try to force their opinions onto you are lame, especially the whole "this is what I think, this is how it works". (like it's something objective)

Offline Ħ

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 05:38:01 PM »
Some people can know perfectly well what it is and dislike it. For the most part, I don't really like metal as a genre but more of another artistic tool that can be used in an artist's palette. But it is very misunderstood by some people who dismiss it as Satanic, screaming stuff.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 06:26:22 PM »
Misunderstood, how?

Jazz, pfft... they just make it up as they go along.  I could do that! / Homer Simpson
It's the Internet.  Everything everybody says, no matter how factual-sounding, is opinion.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2012, 06:34:03 PM »
My parents have gotten used to the music with screams, and my dad even enjoys some of it, but for the most part, the people I know who hear me listening to music with harsh vocals ask what the point of that kind of music and some even go on to say how terrible all music with screams is and whatnot. It's so annoying but it's hard to change the opinions of people who only listen to radio music.

But yes, I definitely think metal is very misunderstood.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 06:56:33 PM »
I'd say Rap/Hip-Hop takes the cake. Metal is well known, lots of people know Metallica, Megadeth and AC/DC. Most just dismiss Rap as unmusical, yet its poetry and better overall lyrics.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2012, 07:11:38 PM »
Like most subjects, people tend to associate the extreme aspects when evaluating them.  There are a lot of people who think of jihad extremists when you mention Islam, overbearing Ned Flanders types for Christianity, people in while lab coats with bubbling liquids in Erlenmeyer flasks when they think of chemists, black metal when they think of metal, and hard-core gangsta rap when they think of hip-hop or even modern R&B.  It's human nature because it's easy to think of something you aren't passionate about in simplistic terms.  We all do it, probably with different subjects, so it doesn't particularly bother me when metal is typecast like that.  I actually like it, because then I get to shatter that perception because unless I'm wearing a band T-shirt, I don't dress the part, and I certainly don't look the part with my lack of tattoos, glasses, and conservative haircut.  If they know what I do it just makes for a starker contrast.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2012, 07:19:26 PM »
Like most subjects, people tend to associate the extreme aspects when evaluating them.  There are a lot of people who think of jihad extremists when you mention Islam, overbearing Ned Flanders types for Christianity, people in while lab coats with bubbling liquids in Erlenmeyer flasks when they think of chemists, black metal when they think of metal, and hard-core gangsta rap when they think of hip-hop or even modern R&B.  It's human nature because it's easy to think of something you aren't passionate about in simplistic terms.  We all do it, probably with different subjects, so it doesn't particularly bother me when metal is typecast like that.  I actually like it, because then I get to shatter that perception because unless I'm wearing a band T-shirt, I don't dress the part, and I certainly don't look the part with my lack of tattoos, glasses, and conservative haircut.  If they know what I do it just makes for a starker contrast.

Same here, I love it when I surprise them with a song out of left field, then they reply with "what?! You like them?" Then I say "why wouldn't I" gets them irritated.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2012, 09:16:11 PM »
I think electronic is up there in a way. Lots of people I know think it's entirely party music and movie music.
This. Or Rap/Hip Hop.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2012, 10:34:25 PM »
Western classical music can sometimes end up being misrepresented in the sense that a (relatively) small

Some 400 odd years worth of music, clumped into one genre tag, if you're talking Baroque era to present.  Even more, if you count the Renaissance.  Throw in the Medieval period, as well, and you're practically shoehorning in the musical history of post-Rome Western Europe into a single genre, there.  My school's orchestra pretty much only plays stuff from the Classical era (which is not synonymous with classical music; it's simply one era of music from the later 1700s to the mid 1800s) and Romantic era ( most of the 1800s to circa WWI).  Anything from before the 1700 or after 1900 is ignored, for the most part, because the orchestra is mainly set up for playing those two main eras, because that's how most orchestras are because most prospective viewers come to see them play that music, probably because a lot of peoples' idea of classical music (from my experience with people; I dunno about yours) is 'old music from the 1800s played on a bunch of string instruments'.  I am a bit upset that so much music from other periods ends up going unnoticed. 

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy Classical and Romantic era music and often find myself listening to popular classical radio, which often emphasizes those two eras with some Baroque and a bit of modern music, but they sometimes end up overshadowing the rest of history when people think of classical music.  There's plenty of great modern classical, and even really ancient music can be related to on some level. 

(I'm no classical snob, BTW.  I'm just scratching the surface, myself, so I've been guilty of what I ranted about above, myself.   :P )

Edit: MY BAD, I DIDN'T REALIZE THIS THREAD WAS JUST ABOUT METAL.  STILL, I STAND BEHIND WHAT I SAID.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 11:04:22 PM by MasterShakezula »

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2012, 12:04:56 AM »

You get that within subgenres of metal too. There's a lot of infighting going on that will never end.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2012, 12:08:07 AM »
Western classical music can sometimes end up being misrepresented in the sense that a (relatively) small

Some 400 odd years worth of music, clumped into one genre tag, if you're talking Baroque era to present.  Even more, if you count the Renaissance.  Throw in the Medieval period, as well, and you're practically shoehorning in the musical history of post-Rome Western Europe into a single genre, there.  My school's orchestra pretty much only plays stuff from the Classical era (which is not synonymous with classical music; it's simply one era of music from the later 1700s to the mid 1800s) and Romantic era ( most of the 1800s to circa WWI).  Anything from before the 1700 or after 1900 is ignored, for the most part, because the orchestra is mainly set up for playing those two main eras, because that's how most orchestras are because most prospective viewers come to see them play that music, probably because a lot of peoples' idea of classical music (from my experience with people; I dunno about yours) is 'old music from the 1800s played on a bunch of string instruments'.  I am a bit upset that so much music from other periods ends up going unnoticed. 

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy Classical and Romantic era music and often find myself listening to popular classical radio, which often emphasizes those two eras with some Baroque and a bit of modern music, but they sometimes end up overshadowing the rest of history when people think of classical music.  There's plenty of great modern classical, and even really ancient music can be related to on some level. 

(I'm no classical snob, BTW.  I'm just scratching the surface, myself, so I've been guilty of what I ranted about above, myself.   :P )

Edit: MY BAD, I DIDN'T REALIZE THIS THREAD WAS JUST ABOUT METAL.  STILL, I STAND BEHIND WHAT I SAID.

Hey Cup, welcome back to the forums! I don't know if you're aware but you are currently running a roulette! You should stop by your thread :)

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2012, 12:11:55 AM »

Hey Cup, welcome back to the forums! I don't know if you're aware but you are currently running a roulette! You should stop by your thread :)

I'm writing up results right now, actually.  They should be posted in another week or so. :) 

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2012, 12:25:07 AM »
I'd say Rap/Hip-Hop takes the cake. Metal is well known, lots of people know Metallica, Megadeth and AC/DC. Most just dismiss Rap as unmusical, yet its poetry and better overall lyrics.

This. Nothing bothers me more when it comes to music when people just dismiss hip-hop/rap just because of.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2012, 01:02:15 AM »
Many genres seems misunderstood. Rap/Hip-Hop and electronica get dismissed with comments like "This isn't music!!!!" The same rhetoric gets tossed around with metal, punk, alternative, goth, ska, industrial, and so on.

Offline kirbywelch92

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2012, 01:18:31 AM »
No, not really at all if you ask me. What's not to get? I would argue Jazz.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2012, 01:52:12 AM »

Couldn't have said it better myself.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • það besta sem guð hefur skapað er nýr dagur
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2012, 02:40:29 AM »
For the case of metal I think it is simply the case that the music sounds angry. Most people don't like that. I don't like metal BTW.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2012, 03:18:48 AM »
My brother asked why Akerfeldt insisted on growling, when his clean vocals sounded so nice.

For fuck's sake

Metal vocalists use harsh vocals because it doubles the percussive nature of the music being played.

Even if you hate metal vocals, this isn't that hard to understand.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 03:53:18 AM by Gadough »
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2012, 04:29:36 AM »
I don't think any genre can be 'the most misunderstood'. It's just that when people don't really know something or don't feel passionate about it or whatever, they are more inclined to make a quick, easy and therefore more likely false assumption. A good friend of mine once asked me why metal would all be generalised. I replied to him "well, because people don't know it. You do the same with electronic music."

Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2012, 06:06:50 AM »
I'm on the other boat when it comes to rap.  It is not music.  But it is poetry with a back beat.  It's just not my cup of tea.

I think it's an age thing when it comes to growls.  I'm no fan when it's used all the time but when it is used as an effect or used to emote an emotion like Opeth does, then I love it.  But growls all the time it too much.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2012, 07:48:30 AM »
I'm on the other boat when it comes to rap.  It is not music.  But it is poetry with a back beat.
You are wrong.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2012, 07:53:58 AM »
Rap is 3/4 crap.

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2012, 07:54:47 AM »
Your opinions on hip-hop aside, it is incorrect to say that it's not music.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2012, 08:13:27 AM »
Rap is definitely music. It has beats, flow, tempo changes, lyrics, verses, choruses, instrumentation....it's music.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2012, 08:25:38 AM »
I'm not going to dismiss rap as 'not music' (although I personally don't like it). However, I do honestly believe that there are a lot of artists who produce garbage and give rap a bad name. As DTVT said, the associations are most often with the most extreme examples within each genre (be it Bring Me the Horizon, or the rap equivalent).

As for jazz...
I don't often hear people dismissing jazz as easy, simple, or something 'anyone can do'. Perhaps I have just been lucky to avoid this kind of ignorance, but I don't think jazz is nearly as misunderstood as metal and/or rap.