Author Topic: The 2012 NFL Thread  (Read 284907 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: The 2012 NFL Thread
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2012, 03:36:34 PM »
And with the Patriots first pick of 2 in the first round, they take...........WHO?

That's how it will be played out. :lol
Won't they trade one or both of them?

You know that is very true of their past but I've got to wonder now that the payment structure for 1 round players are lessened that they won't stick to picking at least one of the 2 picks and we will still scratch our heads.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2012, 03:43:24 PM »
Scuttlebutt is that they're looking to trade up for a change.  That new pay scale having effects.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2012, 03:47:02 PM »
And us fans here in NE have been screaming for that for a long time.  I just don't know how much they can move up with t late first round picks but I'd love for them to get an impact D lineman.  This defense needs to generate more pressure.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2012, 03:53:30 PM »
And us fans here in NE have been screaming for that for a long time.  I just don't know how much they can move up with t late first round picks but I'd love for them to get an impact D lineman.  This defense needs to generate more pressure.
Seattle's number 12, and a late rounder seems to be the prediction.  Or possibly the 27 and two 2nd rounders. There's a safety around that spot they're apparently keen on. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline wolfandwolfandwolf

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2012, 06:02:08 PM »
We know the first three picks, it seems with this Cleveland trade.

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2012, 06:13:35 PM »
Booing is really annoying.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2012, 06:54:13 PM »
So the Browns gave up three picks to move up one spot to draft a player that they should have known wouldn't be drafted anyway?  WTF?
E.F. Benson

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2012, 07:16:05 PM »
It was foolish.  The Vikings fleeced them.  But, I think it was more of a preventative measure against anyone else from jumping up for him.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2012, 07:23:23 PM »
So the Browns gave up three picks to move up one spot to draft a player that they should have known wouldn't be drafted anyway?  WTF?

You know what, the league is not a running back league anymore and even the great RB's don't make a difference in being the top tier teams.  Big, Big mistake.  They had the worst receiving team in the league and should have taken Justin Blackmon in their own spot.  Just plain dumb like you said.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2012, 07:40:32 PM »
I don't really see it that way.  I don't think this is a completely passing based league yet, and I'm not sure it ever will be.  Particularly as the league shifts more towards pass D, run games will become more useful.  I have no problem with drafting a franchise RB if they think he is one.  My concern was with the trade.

However, Wolves made a point that I hadn't considered.  They would have had to sit there for 15 minutes waiting to see if somebody else traded up for him.  Considering that they had the most picks of any team in the league, a few 4th and 5th rounders isn't the end of the world to eliminate that risk.  If we were talking about a 2nd or something, I'd find it a helluva lot more questionable, but there was actually was something to be gained. 
E.F. Benson

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2012, 07:45:31 PM »
The Cowboys are so broken as a franchise.

The Eagles continue to build well through the draft.

Rams pick a spare Defensive Tackle.  DeCastro would've been nice there.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2012, 08:29:44 PM »
I thought the Cowboys made the right move.  Not sure what the gripe is.
E.F. Benson

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2012, 08:32:21 PM »
Did the Jets make a good pick? Don't follow college at all.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2012, 09:20:07 PM »
I love the Patriots' first round. Two very good picks. The Steelers got exactly what they needed in DeCastro, and lower than he was expected to go.

The 49ers' selection of A.J. Jenkins was completely out of left field, but I won't bash it. He's supposedly been getting more buzz around the league lately, and the Niners obviously had their sights set on him all along. He certainly won't be forced to make an impact right away with Crabtree, Moss, and Manningham already on the roster.

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2012, 09:30:45 PM »
I thought the Cowboys made the right move.  Not sure what the gripe is.
I don't like the way that front office works.  Decastro would've been a great pick for them at 14, or they could have picked up a guard in the second round with a pick they are now missing.  I don't know.  Their secondary is now brutal.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2012, 11:47:35 PM »
Best part of the draft by far.

prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2012, 02:32:39 AM »
Green Bay's first pick is a defensive player. Good call. :lol
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2012, 06:04:10 AM »
Best part of the draft by far.

The fuck? :lol

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2012, 11:28:42 AM »
Yesterday's draft was shockingly entertaining.  EIGHT first round trades?  Wow.

Big fan of the Eagles trading up for Fletcher Cox.  Not only did they desperately need a defensive tackle, but I can't wait for the upcoming year of unintentional comedy.  Already, the Eagles website has a headline that reads:  "Reid, Eagles expect big things from Cox."  I mean, the guy who wrote that really didn't know what he was doing?  Come on.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2012, 11:44:29 AM »
The handshake looks rehearsed.  :rollin
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2012, 12:55:11 PM »
Always knew Reid loved Cox.

Offline j

« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2012, 12:58:10 PM »
I'm really happy with the Cowboys pick.  Fully expected them to go with Justin Blackmon, would have fallen in line with their "glamour" drafting tendency of recent years.  Blackmon's a beast, don't get me wrong, but WR is probably the position at which Dallas is deepest.

-J

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2012, 03:32:33 PM »
Really happy with the Steelers getting DeCastro. So glad that they're starting to actually put some effort in to improving the O-Line. Along with Pouncey they actually have some really good, young lineman that should really help out Ben this year.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
sage
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2012, 03:40:32 PM »
>sage goes in all fields

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2012, 03:47:32 PM »
I don't really see it that way.  I don't think this is a completely passing based league yet, and I'm not sure it ever will be.  Particularly as the league shifts more towards pass D, run games will become more useful.  I have no problem with drafting a franchise RB if they think he is one.  My concern was with the trade.

However, Wolves made a point that I hadn't considered.  They would have had to sit there for 15 minutes waiting to see if somebody else traded up for him.  Considering that they had the most picks of any team in the league, a few 4th and 5th rounders isn't the end of the world to eliminate that risk.  If we were talking about a 2nd or something, I'd find it a helluva lot more questionable, but there was actually was something to be gained.

You know what, I never took into account the division they are in. I'm not saying you don't need balance, I just think you need a running back to pick up those 3 yards when the other team knows your running. Maybe they needed that stud back that can run against D's like Pitt and Ravens & Cincy.  All who were in the top 7 defensive teams rankings last year.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2012, 06:34:08 PM »

You know what, I never took into account the division they are in. I'm not saying you don't need balance, I just think you need a running back to pick up those 3 yards when the other team knows your running. Maybe they needed that stud back that can run against D's like Pitt and Ravens & Cincy.  All who were in the top 7 defensive teams rankings last year.
I think every team needs a stud RB to keep them from being one dimensional.  I get that this is a passing league (for now), but you still need a quality running game for a variety of reasons.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2012, 07:27:20 PM »
You can get away without a stud as a running back you just got to be faithful to the run.  Maybe it's just me seeing the league change that I have this perspective.  I remember the Redskins of the 80's with Riggins to the 90's with Emmit and the style is so different now that there is only a few dominant backs and their teams just aren't that good and maybe that's why I don't put the importance on the running game.  It's more of a tool to keep Defenses honest.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2012, 04:39:39 AM »
The handshake looks rehearsed.  :rollin
Looked cool as hell though.

Could have been a fraternity shake.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2012, 10:52:37 AM »
Wow....Vilma...oh my.

Gonna be a while before the Saints dig out from under this one.

Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2012, 10:56:07 AM »
A year will do them wonders.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2012, 11:41:35 AM »
A year will do them wonders.

...as in....."I WONDER who'll they'll draft first over all next year?"
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2012, 11:50:24 AM »
I don't follow the Saints closely, but was Vilma considered a dirty player?  I know Hargrove is, and he got the second most games.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2012, 11:57:41 AM »
I don't follow the Saints closely, but was Vilma considered a dirty player?  I know Hargrove is, and he got the second most games.
Apparently he helped established and fund the "hit list".
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #68 on: May 02, 2012, 11:58:09 AM »
lolSaints.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #69 on: May 02, 2012, 12:30:00 PM »
I always got the impression he was a pretty stand-up guy.  However, he was the undisputed leader of their defense, and as such, had the most responsibility for their actions at the player level. 
E.F. Benson